• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Apart from enabling XMP, I basically haven't touched any settings in the BIOS.

Does MCE need to be turned off? I presume it's in the BIOS, by the sounds of things.

I don't have your BIOS or even a Z390 but there are various "overclocked by default" features that need to be defeated or you'll be overclocked out of the box. MCE was the main one for stock use as it tries to lock clocks to max turbo values all the time. I seem to recall other things in Z390 but I don't remember off the top.

Install HWInfo64 to see what's going on now.

Aranath

Jan 15, 2018
I don't have your BIOS or even a Z390 but there are various "overclocked by default" features that need to be defeated or you'll be overclocked out of the box. MCE was the main one for stock use as it tries to lock clocks to max turbo values all the time. I seem to recall other things in Z390 but I don't remember off the top.

Install HWInfo64 to see what's going on now.
I tried having a look around the BIOS but couldn't see anything about MCE. There was a setting called Multi Core Optimization, which was set to auto, but that's about it. Didn't want to touch it since I have no idea what it is.

I just ran HWInfo64 and this is what I get:

The CPU graphs on the side are going up and down constantly.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I tried having a look around the BIOS but couldn't see anything about MCE. There was a setting called Multi Core Optimization, which was set to auto, but that's about it. Didn't want to touch it since I have no idea what it is.

I just ran HWInfo64 and this is what I get:

The CPU graphs on the side are going up and down constantly.

Yeah so MCE is MCO on your board. It should be off for stock operation (which you may not care about).

With HWInfo64 we want sensors instead of summary. You'll need to eyeball everything but it'll tell you what type of power you're pulling and what clocks and voltages are doing.

Aranath

Jan 15, 2018
Yeah so MCE is MCO on your board. It should be off for stock operation (which you may not care about).

With HWInfo64 we want sensors instead of summary. You'll need to eyeball everything but it'll tell you what type of power you're pulling and what clocks and voltages are doing.
I wasn't planning on overclocking at all, just wanted to try keep things as cool as possible.

Okay, I ran HWInfo64 on "Sensors only" and these were the results:

Edit: Oh, and I just played Sekiro for about 20 minutes. Set all settings to max and downsampled from 5k. Now, it sat at 98/99 GPU usage the entire time. The CPU clocks sat at 4,7ghz constant. No dips, no stutters, nada.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't planning on overclocking at all, just wanted to try keep things as cool as possible.

Okay, I ran HWInfo64 on "Sensors only" and these were the results:

Edit: Oh, and I just played Sekiro for about 20 minutes. Set all settings to max and downsampled from 5k. Now, it sat at 98/99 GPU usage the entire time. The CPU clocks sat at 4,7ghz constant. No dips, no stutters, nada.

Something is wonky with CPU power. It's showing 35W and it should be prob 180W+ under load. I don't have a Gigabyte board so I don't know if the sensors report properly but I would think they would.

Even if that scenario is massively GPU limited I can't believe you'd be at 35W.

Aranath

Jan 15, 2018
Something is wonky with CPU power. It's showing 35W and it should be prob 180W+ under load. I don't have a Gigabyte board so I don't know if the sensors report properly but I would think they would.

Even if that scenario is massively GPU limited I can't believe you'd be at 35W.
Well, that was reporting the system idle, if that makes a difference. Should I try run it with Assassin's Creed running?

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Have you got the CM Elite 130? What are you using?

The Noctua looks good and £40K isn't bad at all. It'll be cooling a stock 6700K, so nothing too heavy.
I'm not using either. I guess Nocuta does make a note on their site for the 6700k: "Recommended with good case ventilation only." Wonder if a low profile 120mm option might fare better. Like the CM Gemini2 or Deepcool Gabriel. Not seeing many other large, low profile coolers.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, so I ran the benchmark in Assassin's Creed: Odyssey with HWInfo64 running.

These were the results on "Balanced":

These on "High Performance":

In both cases, it was stuttering like crazy still. A lot more on the "Balanced" one, though. Here's a comparison of the two:

Ok that looks more reasonable.

By chance did you run the GPU from just 1 PSU port? Sometimes people use a splitter, though I don't know if I recall a situation where it caused stutters.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Just finished up my first build. Man, the feeling upon getting into windows 10 was amazing.

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
I'm not using either. I guess Nocuta does make a note on their site for the 6700k: "Recommended with good case ventilation only." Wonder if a low profile 120mm option might fare better. Like the CM Gemini2 or Deepcool Gabriel. Not seeing many other large, low profile coolers.
The plot thickens lol.

Without running P95/OCCT I'm thinking it might be fine? Obviously trying to dampen the sound is the goal so adding a 92mm fan plus 120mm still whirring away might return me to square 1. >_>

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
OK, almost got my PC fixed - new PSU is in and it boots when the HDD & MOBO are plugged into the PSU.

Plugged the CPU in and... it just "clicks" and doesn't do anything. Feels like a safeguard.

How should I be plugging this in?

SHMYxNz_d.jpg

R7ZmQXq_d.jpg

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
OK, almost got my PC fixed - new PSU is in and it boots when the HDD & MOBO are plugged into the PSU.

Plugged the CPU in and... it just "clicks" and doesn't do anything. Feels like a safeguard.

If you change PSU brands then you need to change out the power cables. Did you do that? They aren't standardized.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
If you change PSU brands then you need to change out the power cables. Did you do that? They aren't standardized.

I am trying to use my old cable on my new PSU.

However, I got the same exact PSU (rm 650x) - or at least I thought I did. the ports on the back are set up differently than my old one for some reason.

This is my old one:

6YiAgj1_d.jpg

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
The plot thickens lol.

Without running P95/OCCT I'm thinking it might be fine? Obviously trying to dampen the sound is the goal so adding a 92mm fan plus 120mm still whirring away might return me to square 1. >_>
Yeah depends on fan quality and how fast they need to ramp up at load. Though there won't be any pump noise (not sure if that's a problem w/ your AIO cooler.)

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I am trying to use my old cable on my new PSU.

However, I got the same exact PSU (rm 650x) - or at least I thought I did. the ports on the back are set up differently than my old one for some reason.

This is my old one:

If you stayed the same then you shouldn't need to worry.. pins should be the same. They just vary on the PSU side between brands. You can see how it shakes out by pretending to buy some custom cables.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, the new PSU came with a set of cables - is my next step here just trying that CPU power cable out?

I don't understand the context of the CPU cable. I'm not looking at cable ends currently so I don't remember pin configs off the top.

I'd certainly try the cables that came with the PSU if you haven't. And you're going to want both the 24 pin and the EPS cable plugged in.

OP
OP
Soda

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
I mean, the new PSU came with a set of cables - is my next step here just trying that CPU power cable out?

You should 100% use the cables that came with the new PSU, especially if the layout of pins on the back of the PSU is different despite being the same model - they may have updated the model between the time you purchased the first one and the second one.

Using the wrong cables can destroy components. I killed two SSDs learning this the hard way.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
You should 100% use the cables that came with the new PSU, especially if the layout of pins on the back of the PSU is different despite being the same model - they may have updated the model between the time you purchased the first one and the second one.

Using the wrong cables can destroy components. I killed two SSDs learning this the hard way.

oh shit, thank you. i found out my PSU is still under warranty, so i'm going to return the one i purchased and RMA a new one from the manufacturer.

hope i didn't fuck anything up.

OP
OP
Soda

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
We're expecting big news at Computex this coming week. We may have full details released about the new Ryzen CPUs, and I'm seriously hyped. I won't be buying any because I'm set on my system until (if?) the next Threadripper line comes out, but I'm soooo excited to see what happens anyway.

oh shit, thank you. i found out my PSU is still under warranty, so i'm going to return the one i purchased and RMA a new one from the manufacturer.

hope i didn't fuck anything up.

You're welcome, and good luck!

Octopop

Oct 27, 2017
Looking for a bit of advice. I'm hoping to build a new pc over the next month or two but have been out of the PC space for a while (last build was 6 years ago). I have a budget for the PC components of £1500 and already have a good 800W PSU which is about 2 years old. Would like to game at high framerates at 1440p and later this year get either a Vive Pro or Valve Index headset.

What are my options? I've always been an Intel/Nvidia set up person but happy to switch to AMD if performance/price ratio is better.

Oct 29, 2017
Looking for a bit of advice. I'm hoping to build a new pc over the next month or two but have been out of the PC space for a while (last build was 6 years ago). I have a budget for the PC components of £1500 and already have a good 800W PSU which is about 2 years old. Would like to game at high framerates at 1440p and later this year get either a Vive Pro or Valve Index headset.

What are my options? I've always been an Intel/Nvidia set up person but happy to switch to AMD if performance/price ratio is better.
With AMD's keynote on Monday we are expecting to have the performance details about new Ryzen and release dates.

That said, these may not become an option for a while, but it I'd at least recommend to wait for the thread to digest the information.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW

Im mostly an Intel/Nvidia person, it's still totally the way to go for high framerates imo.

Here's a video of my (re)build I just did this week and how it does in some 1440p/ultra games if ya want to check it out:

If you're going for 4K or something at 60hz or just want to save some money, Ryzen is a good option. It will get better with the new chips, but probably not good enough to eclipse the decade+ of software optimization that intels chips have. They are closing the clock speed gap some more though according to rumors.

Aranath

Jan 15, 2018
Well, further to my issues from yesterday of the GPU not getting 100% usage and the CPU dropping clocks and stuttering and what not. I installed the 2nd cable from the PSU to the GPU, so it has two cables now, instead of a single split one. I also got Corsair iCUE up and running to set the fan profiles on my H100i Pro cooler to something a bit stronger.

Loaded up AC:O again and ran the benchmarks several times with different settings and then just loaded up the game with my normal settings (Ultra High and both 100% res and 140% res). Same thing as yesterday. GPU never breaks 96% usage (despite testing with max settings and 4k/5k resolution) and the CPU still drops clocks and stutters like crazy.

Here's my Afterburner graphs from the session and you can see the CPU usage jumping all over the place and the clocks just going up and down. Everytime they go down, fits with the stutters I was getting in the game. Same thing happened with GTA V but not as severe.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I also tried disabling MCE in the BIOS. It didn't make a difference at all.

EDIT 2: Just spent the morning playing Sekiro. The CPU maintained its clocks at 4.7 the entire time. GPU wasn't hitting 100, though. I also tried AC: Origins and it's the same thing as Odyssey. Unbelievable stuttering and spikes showing on the CPU graph in the benchmarking tool, but now the clocks on the CPU are sitting steady at 4.7 and it still stutters all over the place.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Soda

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
Well, further to my issues from yesterday of the GPU not getting 100% usage and the CPU dropping clocks and stuttering and what not. I installed the 2nd cable from the PSU to the GPU, so it has two cables now, instead of a single split one. I also got Corsair iCUE up and running to set the fan profiles on my H100i Pro cooler to something a bit stronger.

Loaded up AC:O again and ran the benchmarks several times with different settings and then just loaded up the game with my normal settings (Ultra High and both 100% res and 140% res). Same thing as yesterday. GPU never breaks 96% usage (despite testing with max settings and 4k/5k resolution) and the CPU still drops clocks and stutters like crazy.

Here's my Afterburner graphs from the session and you can see the CPU usage jumping all over the place and the clocks just going up and down. Everytime they go down, fits with the stutters I was getting in the game. Same thing happened with GTA V but not as severe.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I also tried disabling MCE in the BIOS. It didn't make a difference at all.

I can't find your old posts, but, what are your CPU temps like?

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah you definitely need to see what AMD does AMD what the IPC gains look like.

Last edited:

Viken

Teyvat Traveler
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Would swapping out a 8700K for a 9700K be a good idea, with the reasoning being trying to avoid all the new hyperthreading vulnerabilities?

oracledragon

Oct 27, 2017
So I bought an M.2 1TB nvme WD Black today at Canada Computers, because they had a pretty decent sale on it, plus knocking another $20 off for open box.

However, I don't have an M.2 slot on my machine ;) (which I knew when I bought it).

I was hoping they had PCIe adapters in the store, but they did not, so now I am having to order one online.

Any suggestions on a reputable one that I could use for this new drive?

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
Is this a good deal for a prebuilt? Listed at $2449
  • Intel Core i9 9900K 8-core CPU
  • MSI Z390 A-Pro Motherboard
  • Epic 240 Supercooler
  • 16GB DDR4-2933 RAM
  • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 8GB GDDR6
  • 750W PSU EVGA SuperNOVA B3
  • 512GB Intel 660p M.2 NVME SSD
  • 2TB Storage HDD
  • VYBE Mk. V Chasis

pantsattack

Oct 25, 2017
Assuming you mean 1080p 144hz, something like this:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($179.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI - B450M BAZOOKA V2 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Intel - 660p Series 512 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($62.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB GAMING Z Video Card ($359.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design - Meshify C Mini MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($83.13 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx (2018) 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($63.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $914.86
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-23 11:16 EDT-0400

As for motherboards, if you go Ryzen, you want B450 or X470. If Intel, Z390.
Thank you for your time. This is the perfect starting point.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
  • Epic 240 Supercooler
  • 16GB DDR4-2933 RAM
  • 2TB Storage HDD
  • VYBE Mk. V Chasis
If you build it yourself you might be able to do that but with a 2080ti for that price

Oct 29, 2017
  • Epic 240 Supercooler
  • 16GB DDR4-2933 RAM
  • 2TB Storage HDD
  • VYBE Mk. V Chasis
Maingear is a very reliable seller, but they are one of the expensive ones. Probably $100 -200 more than other prebuild sellers because they are a bit of a "boutique store".

For instance, as close a configuration to those you'll get for around $2,200 at NZXT BLD

Last edited:

Viken

Teyvat Traveler
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What're you doing with your PC? I'm not convinced that most games would use more than 6 threads at once, anyway, so your 8700k is unlikely to be areal bottleneck IMO.
Literally the most stressful thing this computer does is play games.

I'm watching all these videos that show a 13% drop and with the new ultrawide coming in that means going from an easy 60 fps locked to dipping under :(

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
So I bought an M.2 1TB nvme WD Black today at Canada Computers, because they had a pretty decent sale on it, plus knocking another $20 off for open box.

However, I don't have an M.2 slot on my machine ;) (which I knew when I bought it).

I was hoping they had PCIe adapters in the store, but they did not, so now I am having to order one online.

Any suggestions on a reputable one that I could use for this new drive?

Not as far as I am aware a top notch brand name lol, but I've been using this one for the ~6 months or so since Black Friday in my old AMD FX-8350 system, and it has been flawless / seen daily usage:

I don't think it matters much at all about brand / reputation etc on these - as you can see from the pics, is is an extremely simple device - basically just traces running straight out of the PCIe slot directly to the M.2 connector.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
Alienware AURORA R8
Processor 8th Gen Intel® Core™ i7 8700 (6-Core, 12MB Cache, up to 4.6GHz with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology)
Operating System Windows 10 Home 64bit English
Video Card NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 2070 8GB GDDR6 (OC Ready)
Memory 16GB Dual Channel DDR4 at 2666MHz; up to 64GB (additional memory sold separately)
Hard Drive 128GB M.2 SATA SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage)
Chassis Options Alienware™
850 Watt Multi-GPU Approved Power Supply
No Optical Drive
WirelessQualcomm DW1810 1x1 802.11ac Wi-Fi Wireless LAN and Bluetooth 4.2
No Keyboard
No MouseCable

I had to do some heavy edits here so if something doesn't make sense, my bad. It's the third option under alienware aurora. Retails now for 1409. Is this a good deal? Prebuilt.

yellow wallpaper

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Alienware AURORA R8
Processor 8th Gen Intel® Core™ i7 8700 (6-Core, 12MB Cache, up to 4.6GHz with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology)
Operating System Windows 10 Home 64bit English
Video Card NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 2070 8GB GDDR6 (OC Ready)
Memory 16GB Dual Channel DDR4 at 2666MHz; up to 64GB (additional memory sold separately)
Hard Drive 128GB M.2 SATA SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage)
Chassis Options Alienware™
850 Watt Multi-GPU Approved Power Supply
No Optical Drive
WirelessQualcomm DW1810 1x1 802.11ac Wi-Fi Wireless LAN and Bluetooth 4.2
No Keyboard
No MouseCable

I had to do some heavy edits here so if something doesn't make sense, my bad. It's the third option under alienware aurora. Retails now for 1409. Is this a good deal? Prebuilt.
would you want to build one? that's too much for a pre built 8 series with a 70.

Deleted member 56752

Banned
May 15, 2019
would you want to build one? that's too much for a pre built 8 series with a 70.

Not really. I've watched like 200 youtube videos on building a pc and literally all of them skip over cord management, plugging things into where they're supposed to go, and parts where they use the tools to get the job done. Those are all of the things I'm petrified of. I've gained zero knowledge through YouTube and if I mess something up in my super rural area, I'd have nobody to go to for troubleshooting.

yellow wallpaper

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Not really. I've watched like 200 youtube videos on building a pc and literally all of them skip over cord management, plugging things into where they're supposed to go, and parts where they use the tools to get the job done. Those are all of the things I'm petrified of. I've gained zero knowledge through YouTube and if I mess something up in my super rural area, I'd have nobody to go to for troubleshooting.
if you can do a kids lego set you can build a pc. If you are dead set on not building one, then yes I believe that pc is overpriced.
edit. kids lego set may be harder. I haven't built one since 89

Status
Not open for further replies.