Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Soda

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
Alienware AURORA R8
Processor 8th Gen Intel® Core™ i7 8700 (6-Core, 12MB Cache, up to 4.6GHz with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology)
Operating System Windows 10 Home 64bit English
Video Card NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 2070 8GB GDDR6 (OC Ready)
Memory 16GB Dual Channel DDR4 at 2666MHz; up to 64GB (additional memory sold separately)
Hard Drive 128GB M.2 SATA SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage)
Chassis Options Alienware™
850 Watt Multi-GPU Approved Power Supply
No Optical Drive
WirelessQualcomm DW1810 1x1 802.11ac Wi-Fi Wireless LAN and Bluetooth 4.2
No Keyboard
No MouseCable

I had to do some heavy edits here so if something doesn't make sense, my bad. It's the third option under alienware aurora. Retails now for 1409. Is this a good deal? Prebuilt.

I don't think that's wildly overpriced for a pre-built, but definitely overpriced versus building yourself. I built a similar system from PCPartPicker prices, but upgraded the SSD to have 2x the storage, made sure the PSU was at least modest (no idea the quality of the pre-built PSU), grabbed a 240mm CPU cooler instead of the 120mm that comes with that pre-built, and ensured the motherboard had built-in WiFi. I threw this together quickly, but I'm sure it could be fine-tuned quite a bit.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor ($299.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - MasterLiquid ML240L RGB 66.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($69.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - B360 AORUS Gaming 3 WIFI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($114.40 @ Amazon)
Memory: GeIL - EVO SPEAR 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($70.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Patriot - Scorch 256 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($32.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB DUKE OCV1 Video Card ($449.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT - H500 ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Thermaltake - Toughpower GOLD 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($64.44 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($99.39 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1332.05
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-26 00:26 EDT-0400

The point is to give a sense of what you're getting for your money, not to say you can't buy a pre-built. I love building PCs, but I think it's perfectly fine for people to be OK with paying a bit more to get something ready out of the box.

Personally, I like IBuyPower or CyberPowerPC as far as pre-builts go. Micro Center beats all, though, so go there and grab something from their PowerSpec line-up if you're near an MC.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
I don't think that's wildly overpriced for a pre-built, but definitely overpriced versus building yourself. I built a similar system from PCPartPicker prices, but upgraded the SSD to have 2x the storage, made sure the PSU was at least modest (no idea the quality of the pre-built PSU), grabbed a 240mm CPU cooler instead of the 120mm that comes with that pre-built, and ensured the motherboard had built-in WiFi. I threw this together quickly, but I'm sure it could be fine-tuned quite a bit.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor ($299.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - MasterLiquid ML240L RGB 66.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($69.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - B360 AORUS Gaming 3 WIFI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($114.40 @ Amazon)
Memory: GeIL - EVO SPEAR 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($70.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Patriot - Scorch 256 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($32.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB DUKE OCV1 Video Card ($449.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT - H500 ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Thermaltake - Toughpower GOLD 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($64.44 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($99.39 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1332.05
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-26 00:26 EDT-0400

The point is to give a sense of what you're getting for your money, not to say you can't buy a pre-built. I love building PCs, but I think it's perfectly fine for people to be OK with paying a bit more to get something ready out of the box.

Personally, I like IBuyPower or CyberPowerPC as far as pre-builts go. Micro Center beats all, though, so go there and grab something from their PowerSpec line-up if you're near an MC.

This was really helpful. Sorry I made you go through all that. I'll look into CyberPowerPC.

Aranath

Jan 15, 2018
Well, further to my issues from yesterday of the GPU not getting 100% usage and the CPU dropping clocks and stuttering and what not. I installed the 2nd cable from the PSU to the GPU, so it has two cables now, instead of a single split one. I also got Corsair iCUE up and running to set the fan profiles on my H100i Pro cooler to something a bit stronger.

Loaded up AC:O again and ran the benchmarks several times with different settings and then just loaded up the game with my normal settings (Ultra High and both 100% res and 140% res). Same thing as yesterday. GPU never breaks 96% usage (despite testing with max settings and 4k/5k resolution) and the CPU still drops clocks and stutters like crazy.

Here's my Afterburner graphs from the session and you can see the CPU usage jumping all over the place and the clocks just going up and down. Everytime they go down, fits with the stutters I was getting in the game. Same thing happened with GTA V but not as severe.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I also tried disabling MCE in the BIOS. It didn't make a difference at all.

EDIT 2: Just spent the morning playing Sekiro. The CPU maintained its clocks at 4.7 the entire time. GPU wasn't hitting 100, though. I also tried AC: Origins and it's the same thing as Odyssey. Unbelievable stuttering and spikes showing on the CPU graph in the benchmarking tool, but now the clocks on the CPU are sitting steady at 4.7 and it still stutters all over the place.

Following on from this, I saw a YouTube video last night for optimized settings for the 9900k, mostly for OCing (which I'm not interesting in) but I decided to try out some of the settings.

The PC ended up bluescreening after a bit, so I restarted went into the BIOS and selected the option to use the "optimized defaults". Before, I only enabled XMP and didn't really touch anything else. The only difference I noted was that it suddenly put the Vcore down. Before it was sitting on like 1.4 something and it put it down to 1.24. So I re-enabled XMP, set the LLC to Turbo and then enabled multi-core optimization.

Loaded Windows back up and it showed the clocks hitting 5ghz. Ran Assassin's Creed: Odyssey and it ran perfectly. There was one stutter in the benchmark and then in gameplay it ran smooth. However, major caveat, the processor was running at like 90 degrees.

So this morning, I disabled multicore optimization, thinking the clock speeds were possibly the cause of the high temps, and then set the voltage down to 1.22. Loaded the game and it stuttered like crazy again.

I'm struggling to think of what settings I need to use here to find a middle ground between no stuttering but no crazy temperatures either.

I have no idea what my Vcore is supposed to be set to (apparently Gigabyte overvolt these processors) because every Google result I get is about overclocking, which I don't want to do.

Could anyone provide some insight into what the heck is going on?

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Following on from this, I saw a YouTube video last night for optimized settings for the 9900k, mostly for OCing (which I'm not interesting in) but I decided to try out some of the settings.

The PC ended up bluescreening after a bit, so I restarted went into the BIOS and selected the option to use the "optimized defaults". Before, I only enabled XMP and didn't really touch anything else. The only difference I noted was that it suddenly put the Vcore down. Before it was sitting on like 1.4 something and it put it down to 1.24. So I re-enabled XMP, set the LLC to Turbo and then enabled multi-core optimization.

Loaded Windows back up and it showed the clocks hitting 5ghz. Ran Assassin's Creed: Odyssey and it ran perfectly. There was one stutter in the benchmark and then in gameplay it ran smooth. However, major caveat, the processor was running at like 90 degrees.

So this morning, I disabled multicore optimization, thinking the clock speeds were possibly the cause of the high temps, and then set the voltage down to 1.22. Loaded the game and it stuttered like crazy again.

I'm struggling to think of what settings I need to use here to find a middle ground between no stuttering but no crazy temperatures either.

I have no idea what my Vcore is supposed to be set to (apparently Gigabyte overvolt these processors) because every Google result I get is about overclocking, which I don't want to do.

Could anyone provide some insight into what the heck is going on?
Multicore optimization is overclocking

Just reset optimized defaults and enable XMP if you don't want to overclock. Make sure CPU ratio is set to auto. You don't need to touch the voltage or LLC

Aranath

Jan 15, 2018
Well, scratch what I said earlier. The optimized defaults set the Vcore to AUTO, not 1.24.

So I've now repeated it. The only way I can get AC, Watch Dogs, GTA, etc. to run stable without stuttering is:

- Vcore set to auto (Hwinfo is showing it going as high as 1.5/1.6v while testing)
- Multicore optimization enabled

And this results in the crazy high temps.

As soon as I manually turn the voltage down, the computer crashes if multicore optimization is enabled. If I turn that off, then the stuttering comes back.

Have I got a busted CPU? Surely this can't be normal.

Multicore optimization is overclocking

Just reset optimized defaults and enable XMP if you don't want to overclock. Make sure CPU ratio is set to auto. You don't need to touch the voltage or LLC

With all auto settings and only XMP, I get the stutters. Without the multicore it stutters and with it, the temps/voltage go really high.

Oct 30, 2017
I was thinking about it and downloaded the files earlier, but I'm a little scared given all the warnings on the Gigabyte page about doing it. How risky is it?

There are risks, but that is usually only if you flash the BIOS for the wrong board (hard to do these days) or have something like the power cut while the BIOS is being flashed. Even then, many motherboards have recovery options. Some vendors these days have their own software to download and flash the BIOS, too.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
- Vcore set to auto (Hwinfo is showing it going as high as 1.5/1.6v while testing)

these VCORE seem very high indeed, not too familiar though but just from reference of 1.24 being "normal". 1.6 is a way high jump.

Aranath

Jan 15, 2018
these VCORE seem very high indeed, not too familiar though but just from reference of 1.24 being "normal". 1.6 is a way high jump.
Yeah, it's crazy. The temperature just shoots up to almost 100 on an H100i Pro.

The problem is I don't know if this is the motherboard, CPU or both causing the problem.

There are risks, but that is usually only if you flash the BIOS for the wrong board (hard to do these days) or have something like the power cut while the BIOS is being flashed. Even then, many motherboards have recovery options. Some vendors these days have their own software to download and flash the BIOS, too.
Yeah, I see they've got a Q-flash utility for it. I'll give it a go and report back on what happens.

Aranath

Jan 15, 2018
Well, the BIOS is flashed to its latest version. Set it to optimized defaults and enabled XMP. Loaded up the games and the stuttering is still there and as bad as ever.

Well, I have no idea what else to try...

Oct 30, 2017
Okay, what I would suggest is put aside the idea that it is hardware and BIOS related.

Disable programs starting up via Task Manager and close all others running, even in the system tray and see if that does anything.

Run Latencymon and see if anything stands out.

Ramathevoice

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France
Well, the BIOS is flashed to its latest version. Set it to optimized defaults and enabled XMP. Loaded up the games and the stuttering is still there and as bad as ever.

Well, I have no idea what else to try...
Okay, what I would suggest is put aside the idea that it is hardware and BIOS related.

Disable programs starting up via Task Manager and close all others running, even in the system tray and see if that does anything.

We're beyond my level of expertise here but I'm really curious as to how this problem will finally be solved.

empo

Jan 27, 2018
So I was gonna put my keyboard in my lap but the cable was too short so I janked it (still using a PS/2) to route it below the desk and it seems like it killed my GPU? Anyone heard of something like that.

Aranath

Jan 15, 2018

Okay, I disabled all my start up programs and shut down everything that I could in Task Manager. Opened up Latencymon and ran the benchmark in ACO.

Still got the stuttering and Latencymon showed this:

EDIT: Forgot to mention, all the bars had barely anything in them and it told me there were no problems, until I opened the game. As soon as the game started, that second bar just shot to red and the message at the top appeared.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Well, scratch what I said earlier. The optimized defaults set the Vcore to AUTO, not 1.24.

So I've now repeated it. The only way I can get AC, Watch Dogs, GTA, etc. to run stable without stuttering is:

As soon as I manually turn the voltage down, the computer crashes if multicore optimization is enabled. If I turn that off, then the stuttering comes back.

Have I got a busted CPU? Surely this can't be normal.

With all auto settings and only XMP, I get the stutters. Without the multicore it stutters and with it, the temps/voltage go really high.

In no way should you run Vcore that high. I would turn off MCE and try to tame that first. The board is simply juicing the CPU to keep things stable. I'm sure it doesn't need anywhere that much. You also need to watch VCCIO and VCCSA because those will also tend to go nuts at default Z390 values.

The motherboard makers want to win benchmarks. They aren't worried about your CPU.

I had to tame my Asus board too but nowhere that crazy.

Aranath

Jan 15, 2018
In no way should you run Vcore that high. I would turn off MCE and try to tame that first. The board is simply juicing the CPU to keep things stable. I'm sure it doesn't need anywhere that much. You also need to watch VCCIO and VCCSA because those will also tend to go nuts at default Z390 values.

The motherboard makers want to win benchmarks. They aren't worried about your CPU.

I had to tame my Asus board too but nowhere that crazy.
Oh yeah, I agree completely. It only went that high because it was on the auto setting. As soon as I manually set it lower, the system would just blue screen with MCE on. With it off, the stuttering comes back. So it's either going with crazy high voltage/temps with MCE on and no stuttering, or lower voltage/temps with MCE off and stuttering.

Either way, it's just totally unplayable. Yet, I've been playing Sekiro all morning without a problem at all. CPU stayed cool with low usage and no stuttering at all. It just seems to be CPU intensive games like the ACs, Watch Dogs 2 and GTAV that have the stuttering.

Oct 30, 2017
Okay, I disabled all my start up programs and shut down everything that I could in Task Manager. Opened up Latencymon and ran the benchmark in ACO.

Still got the stuttering and Latencymon showed this:

EDIT: Forgot to mention, all the bars had barely anything in them and it told me there were no problems, until I opened the game. As soon as the game started, that second bar just shot to red and the message at the top appeared.

You can check the stats and other tabs for more info, but I suspect that this is just reporting the same issue without much more info. One thing you can check is to see is if there is paging. It doesn't look like any other programs/driver were the cause if it was fine before you started the game, but its still possible.

Try changing your power management mode for AC:O in the nvidia control panel to high performance or maximum performance, I can't remember what it is called. I suspect this won't do anything, but it is at least something to rule out.

After that, I'd try check RAM, but only because it hasn't been done, and I can't think of much else that could go wrong that hasn't been checked, other than some hidden Windows shenanigans that I don't really know.

Last edited:

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, I agree completely. It only went that high because it was on the auto setting. As soon as I manually set it lower, the system would just blue screen with MCE on. With it off, the stuttering comes back. So it's either going with crazy high voltage/temps with MCE on and no stuttering, or lower voltage/temps with MCE off and stuttering.

Either way, it's just totally unplayable. Yet, I've been playing Sekiro all morning without a problem at all. CPU stayed cool with low usage and no stuttering at all. It just seems to be CPU intensive games like the ACs, Watch Dogs 2 and GTAV that have the stuttering.

You could also try turning XMP off to see if that affects the spikes. Doubt it helps but it's a quick and easy thing.

Aranath

Jan 15, 2018
You can check the stats and other tabs for more info, but I suspect that this is just reporting the same issue without much more info. One thing you can check is to see is if there is paging. It doesn't look like any other programs/driver were the cause if it was fine before you started the game, but its still possible.

Try changing your power management mode for AC:O in the nvidia control panel to high performance or maximum performance, I can't remember what it is called. I suspect this won't do anything, but it is at least something to rule out.

After that, I'd try check RAM, but only because it hasn't been done, and I can't think of much else that could go wrong that hasn't been checked, other than some hidden Windows shenanigans that I don't really know.
Interestingly, when I ran Latencymon and the game now, the charts didn't go crazy, although it is still giving the same warning message, just not in death red anymore.

The game was still stuttering like crazy, though.

I tried changing the power mode both within Windows itself and in the NVCP and it didn't help at all.

In terms of RAM, I initally had them installed in the wrong channels, but after swapping them to A1/B1 it didn't make a difference at all. Are there any tests I can do to check the RAM?

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Interestingly, when I ran Latencymon and the game now, the charts didn't go crazy, although it is still giving the same warning message, just not in death red anymore.

I tried changing the power mode both within Windows itself and in the NVCP and it didn't help at all.

In terms of RAM, I initally had them installed in the wrong channels, but after swapping them to A1/B1 it didn't make a difference at all. Are there any tests I can do to check the RAM?

XMP on/off
Try RAM in other matched slot pair
Try running with 1 stick, then the other

Oh yeah, running memory tests with each of these. I doubt it's memory but we're at a point where nothing is a slam dunk. You could also read overclock.net to see if anyone with this MB has run into your issues.

Oct 30, 2017

Windows has a built in RAM test, and then there are more advanced ones like memtest86, and you can also run Prime95 to stress RAM. I'd run the Windows one first. Just Type 'Windows Memory' into the search on the taskbar and it should come up.

Aranath

Jan 15, 2018
XMP on/off
Try RAM in other matched slot pair
Try running with 1 stick, then the other

Oh yeah, running memory tests with each of these. I doubt it's memory but we're at a point where nothing is a slam dunk. You could also read overclock.net to see if anyone with this MB has run into your issues.
Windows has a built in RAM test, and then there are more advanced ones like memtest86, and you can also run Prime95 to stress RAM. I'd run the Windows one first. Just Type 'Windows Memory' into the search on the taskbar and it should come up.
Okay, so I ran both the Windows test and Memtest86 multiple times. Both came back completely clear, no errors or problems at all.

I swapped the sticks around into different slots, A1/B1 to A2/B2, and also tried single sticks in different positions. With both sticks the stuttering was as it always is. When I used single sticks in different positions, it did this:

I also tested with XMP on and off and it didn't make a difference at all. I've just turned it back on and left it on for now.

So, yeah, I get the feeling the memory isn't the issue or at least not in an obvious way.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, so I ran both the Windows test and Memtest86 multiple times. Both came back completely clear, no errors or problems at all.

I swapped the sticks around into different slots, A1/B1 to A2/B2, and also tried single sticks in different positions. With both sticks the stuttering was as it always is. When I used single sticks in different positions, it did this:

I also tested with XMP on and off and it didn't make a difference at all. I've just turned it back on and left it on for now.

So, yeah, I get the feeling the memory isn't the issue or at least not in an obvious way.

I think you tried full screen right? I tried borderless and had a couple huge CPU spikes I haven't seen before but I didn't run it multiple times.

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh god... I'm staring at a list on Newegg of a 9700k build and I'm in the agonizing limbo between wanting to pull the trigger now and thinking if I should wait until whatever AMD announcement coming up + waiting longer for Black Friday deals. Uuuuuuugggghhhh!

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Oh god... I'm staring at a list on Newegg of a 9700k build and I'm in the agonizing limbo between wanting to pull the trigger now and thinking if I should wait until whatever AMD announcement coming up + waiting longer for Black Friday deals. Uuuuuuugggghhhh!

I mean the announcement is right now. In a few minutes you should have a decent price comparison available. Appears an AMD build might have a slight edge, but 9700k and definitely 9900k will still be in the top 4 gaming CPUs for a while.

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
I caught that. I was more interested in if their CPUs would gain on Intel in per core performance. Maybe they did? (Im not good at parsing through these marketing events.) I'm sticking to AMD on graphics for freesync support. Navi seemed marginally improved over current Vega?
If they had beaten Intel on IPC/single core performance they would have had a bunch of game benchmarks up there, not cinebench

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
I caught that. I was more interested in if their CPUs would gain on Intel in per core performance. Maybe they did? (Im not good at parsing through these marketing events.) I'm sticking to AMD on graphics for freesync support. Navi seemed marginally improved over current Vega?

i9-9900k will continue to be the gaming leader by small margins, but a 3800X may be preferable over a 9700...

Navi seemed about on par with Radeon 7, oddly. A lower power GPU, whereas Radeon 7 is a plasma beast and a chainsaw in your PC, though.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
so if i'm planning to upgrade to something that can fully utilize my new 1440p monitor, ryzen 7 3700x is currently my best choice?
what about gpu? anything new coming up soon?

MrPink

Oct 27, 2017
So in light of the new AMD announcements...

I'm looking to build a new PC, probably upper mid-tier, the ability to play games at high/ultra settings on 1080p and maybe some games at 1440p (though I don't have a capable monitor at this time). I've never built a PC before but it seems like the graphics card that'd best fit my needs is the 1660 TI, but from a CPU perspective, would a 3600x or a 3700x make more sense, if my budget is around $900-$1000? Eyeing a 1TB SSD since I don't need too much space.

I imagine I'll want to upgrade my graphics card at some point but probably want to ideally keep this configuration for somewhere around 2-3 years at which point I'd probably look to adding more RAM/replacing the graphics card. I'm typically more of a console player but I'd imagine my PC is gonna fall slightly behind next gen consoles so I'm trying to determine what makes sense and how to future proof smartly so in a few years I don't have to replace everything while not breaking the bank initially.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
So in light of the new AMD announcements...

I'm looking to build a new PC, probably upper mid-tier, the ability to play games at high/ultra settings on 1080p and maybe some games at 1440p (though I don't have a capable monitor at this time). I've never built a PC before but it seems like the graphics card that'd best fit my needs is the 1660 TI, but from a CPU perspective, would a 3600x or a 3700x make more sense, if my budget is around $900-$1000? Eyeing a 1TB SSD since I don't need too much space.

I imagine I'll want to upgrade my graphics card at some point but probably want to ideally keep this configuration for somewhere around 2-3 years at which point I'd probably look to adding more RAM/replacing the graphics card. I'm typically more of a console player but I'd imagine my PC is gonna fall slightly behind next gen consoles so I'm trying to determine what makes sense and how to future proof smartly so in a few years I don't have to replace everything while not breaking the bank initially.
If you're only shooting for 60fps you can get great deals right now on CPU/mobo combos for a Ryzen 26/2700 or an i5 9400f

Trying to 'future proof' now is a bad idea. In a couple years we'll have DDR5 and you'll need a new board

If you want to compare the 3600/3700 you'll really need to wait for benchmarks to come out. Do you use many multithreaded apps?

MrPink

Oct 27, 2017
If you're only shooting for 60fps you can get great deals right now on CPU/mobo combos for a Ryzen 26/2700 or an i5 9400f

Trying to 'future proof' now is a bad idea. In a couple years we'll have DDR5 and you'll need a new board

If you want to compare the 3600/3700 you'll really need to wait for benchmarks to come out. Do you use many multithreaded apps?

This PC will basically just be gaming for its main purpose, no intention to use it for streaming or things like that so multithreaded app usage should presumably be limited. 60 FPS is the general target, I guess I'm not sure how long that will manage to hold up as we approach the next generation with the current Ryzen 2600/2700x?

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
idk what I'm looking at, but the Ryzen 5 3600 looks the same as the Ryzen 5 2600X but is like $20 more expensive? buh?

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
idk what I'm looking at, but the Ryzen 5 3600 looks the same as the Ryzen 5 2600X but is like $20 more expensive? buh?

It's on a different (smaller / better) process node and with architectural improvements. Differences aren't in the clock rates. Frequency is like climbing a sheer ice cliff. Same reason why everyone who knew anything knew they weren't going to do 5GHz all core 8c+...

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
It's on a different (smaller / better) process node and with architectural improvements.

So it's probably worth the extra $20 to go with that over the 2600X but the 3600X isn't worth the extra $70 given its stats are only marginally better than the 3600?

Differences aren't in the clock rates. Frequency is like climbing a sheer ice cliff. Same reason why everyone who knew anything knew they weren't going to do 5GHz all core 8c+...

idk what any of this means :C

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
This PC will basically just be gaming for its main purpose, no intention to use it for streaming or things like that so multithreaded app usage should presumably be limited. 60 FPS is the general target, I guess I'm not sure how long that will manage to hold up as we approach the next generation with the current Ryzen 2600/2700x?
If you're not streaming and only trying to hit 60fps in games, I'd get one of the cheaper current deals on a 6 core and dump all your budget into the GPU and/or a nice monitor. The higher core count chips will really help more for non-gaming apps for now

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
So it's probably worth the extra $20 to go with that over the 2600X but the 3600X isn't worth the extra $70 given its stats are only marginally better than the 3600?

idk what any of this means :C

In layman's terms the 3600 is going to greatly outperform the 2600X even if they're running at the same frequency. I can't speak to 3600X vs 3600.

Slightly more than layman's terms: CPUs haven't been able to improve frequency much at all for a very long time. It's why we talk about cores and IPC (instructions per clock).

Slightly more still: You can think of a CPU as a series of tubes, a CPU with higher IPC has wider tubes that can push through more volume at the same speed. More cores means more tubes.

Deleted member 34881

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
So I just got some crosair LL RGB 120 fans for my pc. I know they have arrows pointing, but I still feel like I dont know if I have the airflow going the right way. I have it so far from the front taking in air and the rest blowing out the back. Usually which way do fans blow in and out like direction wise?

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
So I just got some crosair LL RGB 120 fans for my pc. I know they have arrows pointing, but I still feel like I dont know if I have the airflow going the right way. I have it so far from the front taking in air and the rest blowing out the back. Usually which way do fans blow in and out like direction wise?
That is exactly how fans should point. Pull fresh air in from the front, exhaust it from the rear.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Oh I get that I just can't tell if the fan I have at the top of my case is blowing in or out lol. Sorry for asking dumb questions I am new to all this. My case is the nzxt 500, I used an rgb fan for the top.

Try putting a piece of paper next to each fan when you've got them going full blast. Should be easy to tell then :p

Status
Not open for further replies.