• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Also from the south (Mississippi) and I have no idea what you're aiming for with this. The culture here is incredibly toxic and it's hard for me to find any reason someone would defend it if they had been immersed in it. Grow up in a place or family where you can't date black people, you can't come out to your community as homosexual or transgender, you grow up brainwashed in southern baptism and attend schools that are predominantly white where the teachers allow discussions about "the difference between blacks and n******" during homeroom, gay kids being harassed mentally and physically by the students and teachers, or your History teaches you the Civil War is for state's rights. Where black people are referred to as moon crickets, blue gums, Sambo, and Mexicans are nothing more than criminals or laborers. It's bullshit that it gets defended.

Let's dance around it though and not offend these people.

WTF is a moon cricket?

Yup, I see people flying Confederate flags up here in Maine. Hillbillies and rednecks are not unique to the South whatsoever.

This has never made sense to me. Especially if they're natives of a non-southern state.

Theecliff

Oct 28, 2017
this seems like as much as an issue as black people calling white people 'crackers' or the concept of misandry - ie. it's utterly trivial in comparison to slurs used against historically marginalised groups or the reality of how power structures act within society. you're not gonna face anywhere near the level of discrimination that actual minority groups are subjected to. FOH with that 'arab' comparison.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Jim crow laws exist and the south is also now spearheading various voting restrictions that target minorities. The stereotype is well earned imo.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Labeling Southerners as gun-loving Christian fanatics is not alright.

EvangelicalStates.jpg

a0349d09525c059fe29f3df82940dc87.png

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018
OP stop being such a trouble shitter. Like you come in and post about UCF in the playoffs, nobody cares, and you post it again. You just like drama.

Deleted member 19003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, it's not without historical significance that the South gets labeled so much, but I see where you're coming from OP. Mass labeling ALL Southerns can be problematic, especially when there's such a large and growing blue voter base in the major cities that needs support and where a majority of blacks live in the states. People wanting to be cute with those cut off the South memes as if it's the sole source of racism and troubles in the US are really dumb though.

I would also like to point out that our current backwards, sexist, racist, dumbfuck of a "president" was fully born and raised in NY. So Northerners get that one all on their own.

Last edited:

Deleted member 4614

Oct 25, 2017
Nah so long as white southerners continue to destroy the planet I will make fun of them

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
There are people suffering in horribly-run states who don't have the option to leave, and leftist orgs doing important work in the South despite overwhelming opposition. Redneck Revolt AKA the John Brown Gun Club is a good example of one.

While a lot of the stereotypes of ignorance and ricsm are frequently borne out by real people, some of the mockery crosses over into classism that liberals and even some leftists find themselves repeating. Didn't Moviebob recently engage in some awful screed about letting all the horrible racist poors in the evil flyover states die? Fuck that guy.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Lived in the South, my mom was born and grew up in the South, never had an issue with them. I mean there are some liberals who are actually just plain dumb on underestimating the amount of non racists and crazies in cities in the south but eh.

Also hillbilly and redneck aren't slurs lmao.

gogojira

Oct 27, 2017
Texas representing. Born, raised, still here. I'm fine with the stereotypes because I'm surrounded by them. It's awful. Beto give some me hope.

Deepthought_

Banned
May 15, 2018
The only name I have seen white people really get mad about is if they are called white trash but other white people use this term as well to demean

Cracker I don't really see a lot of anymore and I don't think they take it as seriously

smellyjelly

Avenger
Aug 2, 2018
i live in florida.

the day i step into an independently run convenient store or gas station and don't see confederate shit i'll reconsider that the south isn't largely racist or redneck.

Sparkedglory2

Nov 3, 2017
OP i'm Black and from Texas. Those stereotypes exist for a reason. Yes there are many good people down here who absolutely don't fit the bill, but at the exact same time we're full of exactly the stereotype people talk about. Many of the Christian gun lovers I know? Out of shape white dudes.

And while yes personally I don't have an issue with guns myself being from here, there are many people who worship them to an unnecessary degree. Such as my coworker who himself has 32 including 2 AR's in his truck.

That being said. I do think that the North should also look at itself before throwing shade at the south. This whole damn country has issues it needs to fix.

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, I see people flying Confederate flags up here in Maine. Hillbillies and rednecks are not unique to the South whatsoever.
I grew up in New England and don't really recall seeing any not that I doubt you but I was also stationed down south and they were everywhere there. You'd always see confederate bumper stickers, flags etc pretty much everywhere.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
I was raised in the mountains of Tennessee... surrounding by gun-loving evangelical rednecks.

And worse, institutionalization of the trait. I had mandatory hunter's safety (including skeet shooting) in grade school, for fuck's sake. It's a little more than just a "stereotype" when your society is leaning into it that hard.

If you want to help the image of the South, ride the fuck out of it on this. Telling people to just pretend like it isn't a problem isn't going to fix anything.

Ponn

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This has never made sense to me. Especially if they're natives of a non-southern state.

It's almost like "confederate heritage" has always been a bullshit excuse and there is a much more blatant reason for white people to be flying a confederate flag.

I lived in Michigan till my early teens and then moved to Florida. There was very little difference between Michigan rednecks and Florida rednecks except for the sweet tea. They both love certain words and expressing viewpoints when they feel safe in groups.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
I think Jeff Foxworthy made redneck become a term of endearment lol. Hillbilly isn't used that much that more these days too from my experience. White trash is everywhere though.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
I was born in Texas. A lot of my family is from the south.

Fuck most southerners. So many actively push to make their own lives worse just to hurt minorities a little.
This. I'm a southerner as well, born and raised in Texas and I say get the fuck over the stereotype because unlike being black or trans or gay or a woman bullshit stereotypes about being from the south don't lead to decades political, emotional and/or physical violence.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Not all Southerners owned slaves. The majority were poor people working in harsh conditions that don't come near what the slaves lived in, but they were victims too. I

And those poor people were the most stout defenders of Slavery. You know, because they would lose their standing in society. Suddenly, they were not so different than slaves.
It is a proven social construct. People don't like it when another "caste" lower than themselves gets more rights and becomes "equal" to them while they were lower before.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
Not all Southerners owned slaves. The majority were poor people working in harsh conditions that don't come near what the slaves lived in, but they were victims too. I

Serious question OP, what convinced you to make this topic? What exactly was the trigger that made you think "Today I'm going to make a thread complaining about a place I don't live in nor am from, and proceed to make a #NotAllSoutherners post about slave ownership".

Status
Not open for further replies.