• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Threads where people say one game made other games feel less good are the worst. It sucked when it was tlou and it's dumb with botw. Scrap all retro classics with that mentality. Every game has different mechanics simple as that

L176

Jan 10, 2019
Open world games that take place in nature have been tough since BOTW. Games I played after Zelda were Skyrim, Horizon, RDR2 and I was frustrated every time I was blocked by a steep slope. I had a taste of freedom in BOTW and for me personally it's too hard to go back

Same here. I went from BotW to Horizon Zero Dawn and holy hell it was frustrating that you some times couldn't even climb simple rocks.

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
playing most open world games after botw is like going back to play FPS games without using a mouse.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
it happened to me as well. botw gives you such a ridiculous amount of traversal freedom that going to any other game after it just becomes frustrating. all the things in zelda that just become ordinary after a while, turns out you can't do them in like 95% of other games. that's why botw is such a special game.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
It's not so much the "climbing", per se, but just that Link always attempts to navigate whatever is in front of him. You can leap over small fences, trudge up steep hills, etc. without getting stuck on a piece of invisible terrain.

Very few games need climbing, but I feel like most games could benefit from BotW's normal movement.
Yeah that's it.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Threads where people say one game made other games feel less good are the worst. It sucked when it was tlou and it's dumb with botw. Scrap all retro classics with that mentality. Every game has different mechanics simple as that
no actually, thread whining is the worst. OP's point is very valid and many people have experienced it. going to other games after botw, even other high budget open world games, it becomes very apparent how far behind botw they are when it comes to traversing the world and the freedom the game gives you. other open world games just feel like linear games set in very big levels.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I prefer limitations in games because I think it makes discovery something you earn, but that being said the open world genre was ruined once it became the norm to MMO-ify it (and the MMO genre was ruined once we started to WoW-ify it but that's a seperate note). Basically, the appeal of open world used to be its exploration and immersion, but at some point accessibility and addictiveness became the key pillar of it as we either blindly chase the trends from the pages of Game Design books or publishers meticulously demand that there needs to be some "100 hours played" stat, and developers phoning it in via "collect 1/10" objectives ensues.

BotW does look like the best open world game of this generation but man, that really isn't saying much, is it? It was a relief after the direction the genre has headed in but I actually think it's a rather shallow open world with minimal meaningful things to discover in it, mostly relegating any reward or challenge purely to the boxed-in shrines. I'm playing Monster Hunter World now, which isn't open world, but it has some open spaces and I like its feeling of discovery much better and the very limited climbing solely on vines and ruggy walls. To me world design and discovery is more about planning out the level design in ways that makes some portions of it secrets that you have to pursue rather than simply allowing you to climb over anything to get to the vastest points in the world.

But again, compared to HZD or AC Odyssey or Mass Effect Andromeda, BotW feels way better at open world.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I agree. It's a weird thing that's been happening especially as of late. Remember when God of War released? Everyone and their mother talked, not about how good it was, but how good it was at the expense of previously thought to be great games in an attempt to say how much better it is.
That's a misguided argument IMO. You're just treading over thigns people love then and as a non-Fan of GoW in general I started disliking the game based on all the crap of "It's not like a video game, it's a REAL GAME" or something.

This whole "this game has ruined other games" idea needs to stop imo. I get where the feeling comes from but the idea that something new and good invalidates the goodness of something older, simpler or less refined is super annoying.

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
Man Nier is a pretty good game (not my thing though) but movement was way too floaty and arcady.

Sorry.... its world was also ugly and boring.

Oct 27, 2017
Nier's traversal in general is abysmal, so it'd feel bad regardless of if you've played BOTW or not.
source.gif

Oct 25, 2017
Remember in FF15, a game where you could literally teleport to clifftops, but also you can't jump over the fence that divides the high way and field.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Remember in FF15, a game where you could literally teleport to clifftops, but also you can't jump over the fence that divides the high way and field.

Huh? I'm pretty sure you were able to vault over small barriers and fences in FFXV. The animation was so well made, so I did it all the time.

Oct 26, 2017

Exactly lol

"X game made Y game worse because Z mechanic is better in X game is some dumb shit"

Oct 25, 2017
Huh? I'm pretty sure you were able to vault over small barriers and fences in FFXV. The animation was so well made, so I did it all the time.

There's one stretch of highway that is slightly elevated. You can't get off it by jumping, you have to run all the way back to the stairs and go down that way.

Lork

Oct 25, 2017
Without the stamina traversal feels mindless. In Assassin's Creed you just hold the analog stick forward and hold down a button and you can run directly to your destination without paying any attention to obstacles. It's like a racing game where you don't have to follow the road and there are no walls.
Exactly this. I don't have OP's problem in general, but playing AC Origins after having played BOTW really exposed AC's shit tier climbing mechanics for what they always were. I hope they rethink them for future titles.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
Different games have different mechanics,I don't need to be able to climb every surface in a game because you can in BOTW.Games are designed around their own set of mechanics,I really don't get this "game was ruined for me because it didn't have mechanics from another game" attitude at all.
Did I ever feel the need to climb every surface in RDR2....of course not,I had a horse to carry me up all the mountain trails,that's how the game was designed.
There is a lot of climbing in Horizon Zero Dawn and it is in designated places because that aids the way the game is designed,it's not a freeform exploration game,it's more focused on getting you to the points of interest in the map so it gives you the route to get there.....different design mentality.....not sure why people have issues understanding this.
BOTW is a great BOTW game.....it doesn't need to be a template for every other open world game that comes after it.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Really? Because my thoughts where.

"Oh my, climbing is so much faster in this game."

"Oh, I can climb this even though it is raining, that's nice."

and

"Thank goodness I have a grappling hook to quickly ascend this"

BoTW Climbing is far too slow and frustrating to deal with.

kpaadet

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
You should try playing Dying Light OP. Not only do you have freedom in your climbing like BoTW it's also actually fun to climb unlike BoTW.

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
There are many games before botw that let you go anywhere on the map. Just Cause, Arkham games, Assassins Creed...
Not by moving the character slowly upwards "climbing", but with a grappling hook etc...

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Exactly this. I don't have OP's problem in general, but playing AC Origins after having played BOTW really exposed AC's shit tier climbing mechanics for what they always were. I hope they rethink them for future titles.
AC parkour is fantastic, What are you talking about. You can climb anything and without much hassle . Thats the point of AC games, player empowerment . Not every single thing needs to adhere to challenge design

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Yeah a lot of games felt very antiquated in their traversal after the freedom of BotW.
The good news is, you kind of forget how good it was two years later. I don't have the problem anymore now.

Frunkle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After playing BotW I praised any game that didn't force me to stop running every 5 seconds to let a bar fill back up. At least eventually I could get it to 12 seconds or so before I was forced to walk.

7threst

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
I hated playing HZD after BotW.

Me: "What's that crazy looking giant robo squid in the mountains? I wanna go check it out!"
HZD: "This is a forbidden area, turn back or I'll reload your last autosave."

Meanwhile
Me: "Surely I can't drag this iron door to the top of the mountain, use it to kill a boss, then stasis-surf it across the map to Ganon's front door?"
BotW: "Yes."
I'll never get tired of crazy BotW stories like these haha! Such a great sense of freedom in that game!

SuzanoSho

Dec 25, 2017
I feel you, OP. After playing Spiderman, I couldn't make it past the first few minutes of Yakuza because it's web-slinging mechanics might as well not even exist by comparison...

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017

Shit tier climbing? You're nuts. If you turned Origin's climbing required stamina management we'd have a 500hr game on our hands, and an extremely tedious one at that. Also, who wants to play as an Assassin that can't scale the side of a rock without losing grip and falling?

bulbasort

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I played Dragon's Dogma right after BOTW, I really wanted to be able to climb mountains and steep hills.

Minarik

Nov 9, 2017
I recently started Horizon Zero Dawn and the mobility is so horrible compared to BotW. So often I need to climb a rock that's only like 5 feet tall but can't do it. The mechanic of specially marking climbing points with colors feels so antiquated after the free movement of BotW.

tr1b0re

Oct 17, 2018
Trinidad and Tobago
I played Assassin's Creed Odyssey right after BOTW so it didn't directly occur to me, but I do recall playing some other open world game after that and jumping onto a wall expecting to grab on...only to remember I couldn't do that anymore xD

So yes, I get you OP

klauskpm

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
I never played Assassin's Creed Odyssey, and I didn't knew you could climb like in Breath of the Wild. I always thought people would hate that type of climbing, saying the character was Spider-Man and things like that, when the design was more realistic as opposed to a more cartoonistic one.

Now I want that in Horizon: Zero Dawn 2.

Deleted member 388

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tried starting Witcher 3 after BotW and couldn't. I just really wanted to climb everything.

Switched back to finishing Assassin's Creed: Odyssey instead. That was a much smoother transition albeit I still yearned for gliding.

Thac

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
The climbing in BOTW was a big part of why I turned it off. Scaling sheer rock faces in the rain was so idiotic.

The_Lump

Oct 28, 2017
Same thing happened with Ocarina, but conversely. The lack of a free jumping mechanic in a 3D environment felt really weird to a lot of people after games like Mario 64

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
That's how I felt about not being able to blow everything up in games after playing Red Faction.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
I do like the freedom of climbing in botw, but it does feel really slow. I hope they can improve that in the sequel.