• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PoppaBK

Oct 27, 2017
Let's talk some more about the context of fried rice and the BBC video and why it's gotten ridiculed.

We have the BBC saying the following:
1) Here's a recipe that matches Chinese take-out
2) I know you think it's hard, but it's not
3) Let's show you how to cook the rice for the dish

What's missing (besides the poorly done rice cooking instructions)? As others have pointed out, fried rice is used with day-old rice. In fact, it's pretty much something you do when you have leftover rice. It's not fancy and difficult to do precisely because of that. For the same reason, there's no set recipe. It's yummy, so it got turned into a dish.

This is the BBC. I love watching their shows. For example, the Great British Bake Off provides all kinds of context and information around British baking while being generally wholesome and supportive about it. Based upon that, I know that the BBC knows how to do cooking shows.

They could have done that here too, including talking about what's traditionally done and how to deal with substitutions. They didn't, and the cooking instructions indicated that they really didn't care to do much research on this. Rice is such a staple that screw-ups with it clearly show an inattention to its importance. If the same fundamental lack of knowledge showed up on the Great British Bake Off, it too would have been subject to ridicule.
I don't think anyone has a problem with ridiculing a bad recipe.

Kaseoki

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
I don't get the rice cooker thing, do you mean an electric one? Why not just use a kettle? Maybe you shouldn't get too cocky if you use a machine that makes every for you.
I know making perfect rice is hard but I don't like when recipes use too many electronics for things you can do it by hand, is boring and feels like cheating plus it expects the viewer to have all of those

A lot of Western cooking shows will have items being food processed, yet you'll have a much harder time trying to find an East Asian household with an actual food processor than a rice cooker. A lot of households in North America have a instant pot cooker (or an equivalent) and those work fine for cooking rice too.

It's just convenience for households that eat rice on the daily so it makes sense to save time and effort on one bit of your meal, and it'll guarantee you perfectly cooked rice (and even keep it warm for you). I know a few Asian households that will still cook their rice using the traditional stove top method.

Jakten

Oct 25, 2017
Devil World, Toronto
I see nothing wrong with using a measuring cup instead of a grody finger but if you're going to measure the rice why use so much water that you have to drain it lol. Measure it properly so that it absorbs it.

Also why does he complain about her being white when she's clearly not?

I don't get the rice cooker thing, do you mean an electric one? Why not just use a kettle? Maybe you shouldn't get too cocky if you use a machine that makes every for you.

If you put the proper amount of water in it will cook the rice perfectly every time and turn off as soon it's cooked. Why would you worry about an electrical bill, what do you think goes into cooking rice? It's just a pot with a mechanism so that it turns off once the water is absorbed and the temperature rises. It'll use maybe slightly more than an electric kettle does (If you are heating a kettle on the oven it'll be significantly more, like probably 10x more). Also how the hell do you use a kettle to cook rice. Just... what? Are you dumping hot water on the rice like instant ramen????

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth

80a5bf9fd898f56aa8771306fe8b1920