• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Is it true they skipped an entire arc in the anime???
It's misleading to say that, since they didn't skip to anything recognizably from the manga. Things aren't the state they were at the start of the Goldy Pond arc, but there's also nothing stopping them from doing something similar to it later. Assuming they don't find a way to end the entire series in seven episodes.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is it true they skipped an entire arc in the anime???

There are some people saying that nothing is confirmed, but they are just in denial. Yes everything important for the next arc has been skipped so far and the latest episode shows us the series going into another cat and mouse game with Isabella.

I think they will skip Goldy Pond arc and all the characters and will just skip ahead even more and find the walls and everything sooner than expected. Some other things will change and we will get the ending this season (maybe even changed). So far there is just no single indication that Goldy Pond will happen (Yugo even left a written note that he will go back to the human world and he is nowhere to be found).

In a way I like it because the Grace Field kids were useless after meeting the Goldy Pond arc kids and all, but on the other hand Goldy Pond was my second favourite arc and I love Yugo.

Best case is that they use this new thing here to develop Isabella a bit more for her ending arc, develop the Grace Field kids a little more and give them something to do and then do Goldy Pond and Yugo etc. next season and go from there, but to be honest I can't see it. There are also some other strange differences like the telephone that suddenly looks...very modern. Maybe they have something in mind for the anime and will change it completely after it went to shit in the manga. I don't know if most people thought like that and the author knows, but it could be a point.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Weird, for anime season 2 it seems like they still have to go to Goldy Pond to get the info about the Seven Walls/experimental research center, but why reshape everything this way compared to the manga? I guess Mister and Lucas wont be characters in the anime or will one of the 2 be at Goldy Pond? They can't have another invasion of the bunker so I guess they can have Lucas/Mister die in the Goldy Pond arc?

Would be a shame to skip the Goldy Pond arc as it was my 2nd favorite arc in the manga.

LycanXIII

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Wow, they legit could end the series this season with where they're at now. I thought they were just adding an anime original scenario, not rewriting the entire story.

Oct 25, 2017
So take this all with a grain of salt, but it sounds like the second season's production schedule was a mess even before Shirai got involved.

One of the animators posted a rant on Twitter that has since been deleted. Here's a snapshot of it from /a/.

1612898172862.jpg

Here's a translation from someone on Discord that I found in the same thread.

[There's no excuse this time, huh]
[Viewers, I really really do understand the criticisms on Neverland, but it's not the company's but the author's intention, so send your complaints over there.]
[Why is that I have the overwork for this guy's story?]
[Shueisha calling him 'sensei' got him spoiled]
[Firstly, I want to hit the producer once]
[(?) never forgets when it's about claiming taxes~~]
[That damned, freaking, shitty guy]
[When I heard that the screen is subject to royalties, I felt like I'm REALLY not gonna forgive Kaiu].

Unless someone can provide a better translation at least.

Oct 25, 2017
So take this all with a grain of salt, but it sounds like the second season's production schedule was a mess even before Shirai got involved.

One of the animators posted a rant on Twitter that has since been deleted. Here's a snapshot of it from /a/.

1612898172862.jpg

Here's a translation from someone on Discord that I found in the same thread.

Unless someone can provide a better translation at least.
Doesnt really address the writing decisions

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
Wow...what were they thinking with this? Abandoned a huge chunk of the story and a number of great characters, and it's suuuuper rushed while also slowing down for random stuff that isn't terribly interesting. Handled very poorly and the story is worse for it.

LycanXIII

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Funimation isn't loading the episode, but the description really looks like they're skipping to the endgame.

Norman, thought to have been shipped, stands before Emma and Ray. It is a reunion they never dreamed of, and they embrace tearfully. Norman reveals his plan to create the future Emma wants, where the children can live happily.

Oct 25, 2017
Funimation isn't loading the episode, but the description really looks like they're skipping to the endgame.

Norman, thought to have been shipped, stands before Emma and Ray. It is a reunion they never dreamed of, and they embrace tearfully. Norman reveals his plan to create the future Emma wants, where the children can live happily.
Like I wish they kind of advertised the anime like this up front, then I could have been prepared for it, actully if they want to doit, then there was a way to better adapt everything in between in a much better way that has been done to go from the escape from the farm to the endgame

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
I don't see why they did this...the series is soooo popular, it's a huge, recent live-action film, they could have done an awesome anime version of the manga material. They didn't have to add filler or milk it, the story moves quite nicely, if anything, the ending arc was the weakest part (imo), and that's what they're directly cutting too. Just feels like an own goal.

LycanXIII

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Like I wish they kind of advertised the anime like this up front, then I could have been prepared for it, actully if they want to doit, then there was a way to better adapt everything in between in a much better way that has been done to go from the escape from the farm to the endgame
Yeah, I just watched it and it's ending this season. They definitely could have better worded the "anime original scenario" to let people know it's a whole new story and not something additional.

Also, they've added Norman and his group to the OP.

Hopefully in a few years another studio can redo the series from the end of season one.

OP
OP
Stowaway Silfer

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

I don't think I would've watched even a well-produced and faithful anime adaptation of the manga but it's still kinda sad to see that this season has gotten to the point where the writers seemingly don't want to be attached to it anymore.

What happened to this series in general is just sad.

Chase

Oct 25, 2017

Neverland just had its own artbook so probably all unrelated Posuka Demizu art

I don't think I would've watched even a well-produced and faithful anime adaptation of the manga but it's still kinda sad to see that this season has gotten to the point where the writers seemingly don't want to be attached to it anymore.

What happened to this series in general is just sad.

End of thread had an interesting point. Wonder if it was already a rough production then covid made it worse, but series was too high profile to not push it through.

Even though was down on the series at the end, kind of still looking forward to their next work after liking their one shots since then.

OP
OP
Stowaway Silfer

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Neverland just had its own artbook so probably all unrelated Posuka Demizu art

End of thread had an interesting point. Wonder if it was already a rough production then covid made it worse, but series was too high profile to not push it through.

Even though was down on the series at the end, kind of still looking forward to their next work after liking their one shots since then.

Covid being a big reason would not be surprising.

And yeah I'd also be interested in their next work if one comes out. I've enjoyed the one-shots and special TPN chapters that have come out since serialization ended.

Oct 25, 2017
I have heard theories that all the cutting is due to not wanting to show the kids with guns. This is best exemplified in the final standoff with Peter Ratri, where all the Moms have guns, but the kids don't (where in the manga, everyone had guns).
Seems like a weird censorship choice.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
I have heard theories that all the cutting is due to not wanting to show the kids with guns. This is best exemplified in the final standoff with Peter Ratri, where all the Moms have guns, but the kids don't (where in the manga, everyone had guns).
Seems like a weird censorship choice.
Could they not move to a later timeslot that would allow such a thing?

OP
OP
Stowaway Silfer

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
myanimelist.net

Yakusoku no Neverland 2nd Season

Emma, Ray, and the rest of the older children have escaped the confines of the Grace Field House. However, with relentless demons set on capturing them, their arduous battle for freedom has only just begun. Despite venturing into the treacherous wilderness, the children remain optimistic due to...

The show airs at 1am. There's no more lenient timeslot they could move to.

Though because of that timeslot, I don't really think the children using guns would be a problem. If it is though, that's a problem of their own making as they chose not to go through with the manga's timeskip as far as I can tell.

Oct 25, 2017
myanimelist.net

Yakusoku no Neverland 2nd Season

Emma, Ray, and the rest of the older children have escaped the confines of the Grace Field House. However, with relentless demons set on capturing them, their arduous battle for freedom has only just begun. Despite venturing into the treacherous wilderness, the children remain optimistic due to...

The show airs at 1am. There's no more lenient timeslot they could move to.

Though because of that timeslot, I don't really think the children using guns would be a problem. If it is though, that's a problem of their own making as they chose not to go through with the manga's timeskip as far as I can tell.

I mean, they were using guns pre-timeskip too. During Goldy Pond.
I wish we could get a postmortem article on TPN Season 2 and find out what went wrong.

Flevance

Oct 28, 2017
aba.gif

Man, what a let down.. would've preferred them to cover the Goldy Pond then drop the series altogether for all I care. And what was that about the "original scenarios"? Didn't they just rewrite the original one with cutting most of the content to the point nothing was making any sense anymore! There was no fucking original scenarios whatsoever smh