Konosuke

Oct 29, 2017
Probably something like this (From another thread here on Era):
nuBMeaN.jpg
You know what, I'll use this look if it doesn't fit in my cabinet. Why the hell not.

Starshine

Oct 25, 2017
It would be very cool, but it could also just be the plates before they are secured to the machine.

Yeah, I'd love PS5 to have swappable plates, but are those bracing and securing devices in those pics (the black things with red lock-in-looking things)?

Perhaps this is just pics by the assemblers used to show scale and that's all? :/

Last edited:

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
If it really is A4 (like most people are figuring) correct me if I'm wrong but Google says

402 mm = 15.8 inches
310 mm = 12.2 inches

My entertainment center has 17 inch wide compartments so atleast it would fit, although I'm not comfortable with that little room on the sides for air

Edit: based on previous measurement attempts
Play-Station-5-Comparison.png

Which inferred the height to be 38 cm instead of this 40 cm, pretty close!

let's just say for sake of argument that all measurements across both variables use their nearest super round number

That still means
40 x 30 x 10 cm
15.75 x 12 x 4 inches

The implications of a unit with volume of that scale are pretty nuts

12000 cubic cm
756 cubic inches

versus XSX 432 cubic inches and 6750 cubic cm.

This is a large device in terms of mass
Hi! This is the latest version I've made about that picture btw ^^

Play-Station-5-Comparison-v3.png

so with your guess is actually 40cm without stand, interesting...

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
Changing out that crappy white plates out for black plate with different design day one on launch day...

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
Hi! This is the latest version I've made about that picture btw ^^

Play-Station-5-Comparison-v3.png

so with your guess is actually 40cm without stand, interesting...

Nice, well yeah like I stated in my post I'm

#1 basing off the measurements from this post https://www.resetera.com/threads/th...-leaked-pictures-suggest.256485/post-40885659

#2 (rounding them to super easy numbers)

So by all accounts it could be 38 cm still as I'm sure the perspective plays into the other guys measurements I used, but more for just general concept of size I did use (again a close approximate) of your front width so thanks!

Either way, I think we can pretty confidently say it's in the ballpark of 40, 30, 10 cm.

So thanks for your initial work

What's your take on the volume? it's a pretty astounding figure if this is all correct, that it is nearly 2x the volume of XSX. Hopefully both makers achieve their goals for perf, heating and sound, albeit two very different avenues

Last edited:

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
YES! This is what I was hoping for. They said it'd be highly customizable and I interpreted that as removable plates rather than just a whole bunch special editions.

MoogleMaestro

Oct 25, 2017
Considering how much money was lost on the Xbox 360 faceplate business, I really doubt that Sony would double down on that market.

Only time will tell though.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
I mean, if they're detachable you could just paint them black? Very easy DIY and totally worth it for a matte black finish. I don't feel like they would be priced appropriately if you wanted to buy official ones.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
Are the plates just there to make sure there is enough room for air intake?

It is really thick plastic, i would say they are part of the "sound design", maybe without that thick plastc and those "blades" beside the ventilation the console would be louder.
But those curves are surely just design.

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
As soon as someone gets a PS5 and 3D scans the plates you'll see the 3D printer code go up online and that opens up an amazing potential for self-customisation and completely unique designs.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Is that a hard process? I've seen plastidipping tool handles and stuff seems to be fairly straightforward.

They make a bunch of colors in spray cans now. You have to put on many coats if you want it to peel well, tho. So it takes a little while with 15 minutes between coats.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I'd assume at least one side comes off to let you access the HDD just like you do on the PS4.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Probably something like this (From another thread here on Era):
nuBMeaN.jpg

lol, nice. Yeah, I've been pondering what a naked PS5 looks like for the longest while.

Sony, having swappable plates would be friggin' amazing. Never having to worry about buying a whole new console to get a limited edition look would be glorious. Whoever gets into the business of 3rd party PS5 face plates about to make bank! All sorts of colours, designs and shapes about to appear.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Thank god.

Give me a black PS5.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Nice, well yeah like I stated in my post I'm

#1 basing off the measurements from this post https://www.resetera.com/threads/th...-leaked-pictures-suggest.256485/post-40885659

#2 (rounding them to super easy numbers)

So by all accounts it could be 38 cm still as I'm sure the perspective plays into the other guys measurements I used, but more for just general concept of size I did use (again a close approximate) of your front width so thanks!

Either way, I think we can pretty confidently say it's in the ballpark of 40, 30, 10 cm.

So thanks for your initial work

What's your take on the volume? it's a pretty astounding figure if this is all correct, that it is nearly 2x the volume of XSX. Hopefully both makers achieve their goals for perf, heating and sound, albeit two very different avenues
Ok, I've taken a better look at your image and, as you said, the measurements are distorted by the perspective so I've manipulated the image in photoshop to better represent the measurements by take the supposed A4 piece of paper as base.
I've used the 1:1 PlayStation logo (but mirrored) too to be sure that the image wasn't stretched out in the wrong way after the perspective warp.

Take in mind that the A4 is folded in many spots so I had to take the most flatten sides for reference to have a more faithful representation of the measurements. Here you go:

PS5-leak-dimensions.png

Maybe Lant_War can put the image in the OP.

Btw this measurements are VERY close to what I've suspected back then (38x25cm for the white plate) and I promise that I didn't do any backward work, like starting from my PS5 measurements and then find the A4 size.
This image is just what I got by trying to get the A4 measurement and a good logo fit with no stretch!
Of course there can still be some issues due to how badly positioned is the A4 but honestly I think that 38x25cm is a very good estimation.

At this point I'll answer to your volume question with this old post:

www.resetera.com

Which console design do you prefer - Playstation 5 or Xbox Series X?

This is......the ups battery that I replaced for my server rack last month.......

I explain my measurements here:

www.resetera.com

This is......the ups battery that I replaced for my server rack last month.......

sun-drop

Banned
Aug 21, 2018
wellington , new zealand
I'd say this is definitely the case....I mean the UI guy on LinkedIn basically said as much weeks ago. Mentioned explicitly the surprising customisation available in the hardware design...what else could he be talking about....the LED color? ... somehow that doesn't seem enough to warrant making that comment. These panels are coming off. Probably going to end up being a huge money maker for Sony too....maybe another way that can justify a lower than expected ps5 price.

Magio

Apr 14, 2020
What I'll say is that if they weren't meant to be swapped and Sony had 0 plans to provide swappable plates, they'd probably look exactly the same. They were never gonna be permanently bonded to the center part of the console (why would they have been?) and that looks like a perfectly standard way to secure them in place.

If there are plans for them to be swappable, how does Sony justify the eco waste, though? When people buy a special edition console for the colorway, if they already had another unit they're probably selling it (unless they're swimming in money) so it's not wasted, but if the PS5 launches with only a white colorway available BUT there are black faceplates available, a lot (and I do mean a LOT) of people will buy those and it's not like you can sell the default plates.

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, I've taken a better look at your image and, as you said, the measurements are distorted by the perspective so I've manipulated the image in photoshop to better represent the measurements by take the supposed A4 piece of paper as base.
I've used the 1:1 PlayStation logo (but mirrored) too to be sure that the image wasn't stretched out in the wrong way after the perspective warp.

Take in mind that the A4 is folded in many spots so I had to take the most flatten sides for reference to have a more faithful representation of the measurements. Here you go:

PS5-leak-dimensions.png

Maybe Lant_War can put the image in the OP.

Btw this measurements are VERY close to what I've suspected back then (38x25cm for the white plate) and I promise that I didn't do any backward work, like starting from my PS5 measurements and then find the A4 size.
This image is just what I got by trying to get the A4 measurement and a good logo fit with no stretch!
Of course there can still be some issues due to how badly positioned is the A4 but honestly I think that 38x25cm is a very good estimation.

At this point I'll answer to your volume question with this old post:

www.resetera.com

I explain my measurements here:

www.resetera.com

Ohh fascinating!

I love what you did with the tilt

I have a lot of fun doing this lol. It's funny because I actually did my own measuring when I got home from work and used a slightly different method I wonder what you think about that
(for context I did this in response to someone saying they measured and got 345 mm)

{I think you're probably right btw, it's just fun to puzzle it together}

I was using measurements from the other person because I was at work

However, I just did my own measuring (with receipts)

* Also I fully acknowledge that these are 100% not accurate due to the perspective shift & slightly curved nature of the shell *

But its hard to somehow argue you could have achieved a difference as much 50mm (your post said CM but I know you meant MM)

But here I'll walk you through my process.

I took the source image, I did not alter the size at all, I just rotated it so that the shell frame is in a more vertical orientation so that my references lines are more readable for the viewers

Nx8b5pp.png

Even in this math I just did, my numbers are larger than the source I used previously, but again, due to the perspective shift I would not definitively say these are to-the-mm accurate, but I would say, there is no way they are not 5 cm's off. Or to put that in perspective if you are American, thats almost 2 inches. (You claim 34.5 cm or 35.5 cm versus 40~cm)

but look Ill even give you the benefit of the doubt and lets just say its D4 paper instead for some reason, in which you would be closer to correct

D4
INXcCRZ.png

that still arrives at 36 cm x 29 cm, or 14.17 in x 11.42 in. Ill go even further, if I apply that to Photo from Sony, and the total height of the console is only 36 cm, that makes the thickness 8 cm (3.15 in)

We can even round the numbers off a bit and calculate further

14.1 x 11.4 x 3.15 inches
36 x 29 x 8 cm

compared to PS4 Pro
12.90" x 11.60" x 2.20 inches
32.7 x 29.5 x 5.5 cm

*Again to be clear, all this can be sure wrong, it's just a fun excerise*

either way, the thang big.

Last edited:

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
All black for me.

I hate that my friends would put a wood wrap on theirs. People who do that need to be arrested.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Hmm so now question is will sony keep this as main system and sell many colors face plate on the side ?? I guess remains to be seen

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm so now question is will sony keep this as main system and sell many colors face plate on the side ?? I guess remains to be seen
I'm still not 100% convinced this is an actual thing, those side plates are quite massive. They will take up a lot of shelf space in a store for an item that people want to cost $30 or so.

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
Tearing your new console apart to make white plastic black isn't going to make it not look like a vagina.

They aren't going to sell entire body molds to replace. You need to just accept it as is until they officially release other colors. Or skin it.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm still not 100% convinced this is an actual thing, those side plates are quite massive. They will take up a lot of shelf space in a store for an item that people want to cost $30 or so.
Yea I m also not convinced yet. Ps4 pro top can be removes easily to clean the fan. Sony never started to sell other face plates for ps4 Pro

Deleted member 24097

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Pretty sure they sold face plates for that for a while

www.youtube.com

Official Sony PlayStation 4 Custom Faceplate (HDD Cover) | Unboxing, Set-Up & Review | MyKeyReviews

☆ Official Sony PS4 Coloured Custom Faceplates (HDD Cover).☆ Available in: Aqua Blue, Neon Orange, Red, Gold & More! ★ Buy(UK): http://tinyurl.com/PS4-CF-AB-...

They did, indeed.
It must have bombed pretty hard because Sony Japan ended up basically giving their stock away for free just before the slim launch. You could order the full set of colors for a few extra yens with any purchase of an OG DualShock 4 (which were also on clearance) on the official store.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
It make sense that the left/top side is removable
But I'm not sure the right/bottom side will be removable, especially in the standard edition

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Maybe I'm looking at the photos wrong but it seems like those panels may add a lot of unnecessary bulk to the console.

As it stands right now, neither of the next-gen systems fit in my media cabinet where my PS4 Pro currently lives. 🤦🏽

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I can't wait to see all the crazy mods and custom plates people make. Cool stuff.