• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
The average rating for this is below Attack of the Clones still.

Attack of the Clones is 6.59.

TROS is 6.21.

I said this in another thread but critics do not respond well to empty fanservice and 'member berries. That is what 90% of the film is along with it being over-stuffed. You need scenes to breathe to take them in.

Not to mention that it's a back-pedaling of a movie that critics did like ( TLJ).

Plus one of the first lines in the movie is a fucking meme for crying out loud lol
Doesn't change my stance on the tomatometer (and score as well) being not all that useful or worth parading.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There's no way I'm missing this movie, but hearing my friend (who's loved every movie up to this point--yes even the prequels) royally shit on it is weirding me the fuck out.

Heid

Jan 7, 2018
There's no way I'm missing this movie, but hearing my friend (who's loved every movie up to this point--yes even the prequels) royally shit on it is weirding me the fuck out.
All I will say is the movie punishes you for paying attention and remembering stuff from the previous movies lol

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
All I will say is the movie punishes you for paying attention and remembering stuff from the previous movies lol

Why does this sound like the Michael bay of the Star Wars movies.

basically catering to people who don't even watch these with half their brain turned on and just go oh wow cool, big set piece, big explosion omg wow emperor! Fan service! No idea how that happened, but thank you JJ!

IAMtheFMan

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago

I mean, this is how I am. I loved the OT. I was in college during the PT and largely enjoyed them, despite their very obvious flaws... I still got super excited at the prospect of each new PT even though they were tremendously flawed (though I still give Sith high marks, despite that). I liked TFA, liked TLJ even more, liked RO and Solo. This was the first SW movie that I walked out of completely bewildered. And I have a feeling that the more I mull over it, the more negative my thoughts are going to get. At least I'm enjoying the Mandalorian...

5>4>8>3>7>6>9>2>1 as of now.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
User Warned: Inappropriate comment
Okay all the haters can go jump off a cliff. That was by no means perfect, but that was fun and the fact that is is reviewing that badly is a joke.

Replicant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Because critics actually engage it as you know a film. All these positive reactions I'm reading from people who just hand wave away all the problems are just throwing out variants of the word "fun".

This is clearly going to make a lot of people happy because a lot of people just want Star Wars dialed up to 11 injected into their veins no matter the cost
Because fun is what I had watching the movie. Something I want in a Star Wars movie. Problems are all over the place in its pacing and it does way too much in a short amount of time, but it is a lot better than people are giving it credit for and it managed to make episode 8 make more sense for me personally.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
I enjoyed the movie for what it is?? OMG what am I doing? If you didn't like it, fine. But the hate it's getting is pure hyperbole.
Yeah, I'm not being hyperbolic at all. I said I understand why people like it, it didn't work for me. Saying that everyone that doesn't like it is a "hater" or they need to F off with their opinion is just ...

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It is sitting at 90 percent with the fan score. I agree with the fans. The movie was incredible..
Perfect? No.

But a 56 like the critics say? Lmao! No.

THE210

Nov 30, 2017
I thought it was the most fun movie of the new trilogy. I really dug it and don't think it trashed TLJ at all.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Just checking, but is the hate the movie's receiving more or less hyperbolic than telling people to jump off a cliff for not liking it?

Is telling people to jump off a cliff any more hyperbolic that that one critic telling everyone who likes TFA and TROS to go to jail?

Seems to me that both comments were made in jest.

Venuslulu

Oct 28, 2017
why didn't the trilogy have a single director? i mean look at LOTR

This is more akin to Hobbit where the studio had mandated timeframes so you basically feel like you're dying; Abrams even admitted he was down for one more film during preproduction of 7, but saw how much time it consumed, and his wife said no apparently. Basically no one in their right minds as a director wanted to do it.

UnknownSpirit

Oct 25, 2017
Reposting my full review from another topic.

There are moments of "HOLY FUCK THAT IS AWESOME." I honestly think the middle section of the film is really quite good. Like TFA level good. My issues with it are with decisions made towards the end. Also, this bullshit about "undoing" The Last Jedi is a bunch of junk. If anything it completes the circle by using some things and continuing with them. (I can't go into details but there is one section I feel where this reflects it).

It really is a lot to take in. It's fast. It's a ride, but the dynamic between the three is so good you want to go with it.
Moment don't land always. Some dumb decisions are made towards the end (well one specifically), but I am rethinking of the stuff I liked and I have a smile on my face.
I'm seeing it in IMAX on Saturday. I'm expecting to enjoy it then.

It's hard to rank overall. I do think it's top 6 (maybe), and when it comes out I'll buy it and when I do my yearly Star Wars watch I will probably watch it. It is not a nightmare. It lays out basically what is going to happen, and you just gotta go with it, if you can, I think you'll ultimately enjoy it.

but it's far from perfect. It's good. A solid middle of the road good.

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
This is more akin to Hobbit where the studio had mandated timeframes so you basically feel like you're dying; Abrams even admitted he was down for one more film during preproduction of 7, but saw how much time it consumed, and his wife said no apparently. Basically no one in their right minds as a director wanted to do it.

what a mess then, Rian should have finished the trilogy then , it would be interesting to see his ending

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Time to rank, motherfukers.
  1. The Empire Strikes Back
  2. A New Hope
  3. The Last Jedi
  4. The Force Awakens
  5. Return of the Jedi
  6. The Rise of Skywalker
  7. Revenge of the Sith
  8. The Phantom Menace
  9. Attack of the Clones

Replicant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Just checking, but is the hate the movie's receiving more or less hyperbolic than telling people to jump off a cliff for not liking it?
Of course I meant that in a sarcastic way, not literally. I'm just aiming at the folks are are just flat out saying it's the worst. There is no way this should be reviewing worse than any of the prequels or even Solo.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get the idea that the sequel trilogy needed one director. The original trilogy had three separate directors and it was fine. What this trilogy needed was a strong vision, a producer who essentially acted as a showrunner to guide things, and selecting directors whose styles don't wildly clash.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
I don't get the idea that the sequel trilogy needed one director. The original trilogy had three separate directors and it was fine. What this trilogy needed was a strong vision, a producer who essentially acted as a showrunner to guide things, and selecting directors whose styles don't wildly clash.

Problem was split vision and it just so happened that the directors also wrote the story for each respective movie they directed. While Lucas did the overall story for all 3 OT movies despite not directing all 3..... this one had too many hands in the pot and vision swapping

soul

Oct 27, 2017
  2. A New Hope
  3. The Last Jedi
  4. The Force Awakens
  5. Return of the Jedi
  6. The Rise of Skywalker
  7. Revenge of the Sith
  8. The Phantom Menace
  9. Attack of the Clones

You forgot Rogue One, that should have been your number 1 spot. Solo closes the list.
Other than that, I pretty much concur.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
  2. A New Hope
  3. The Last Jedi
  4. The Force Awakens
  5. Return of the Jedi
  6. The Rise of Skywalker
  7. Revenge of the Sith
  8. The Phantom Menace
  9. Attack of the Clones
I guess I'm gonna like this movie a lot since Revenge is my #3 in my list :P

1. Empire
2. Hope
3. Revenge
4. Rogue One
5. The Force Awakens
6. Return
7. Last Jedi
8. Solo
9. Phantom
10. Attack
Personally I like all of them except for Attack of the Clones, so it doesn't take much to make me like them.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Lucas all but directed RotJ. He would even check the camera before a shot to make sure it was framed how HE wanted it.
Okay, so it was directed by the same number of directors as the sequel trilogy and it turned out far more coherent. The point isn't number of directors, it's that you need a captain to ensure the team is all running in the same direction.