Realyst

Oct 27, 2017
This is it folks.

Today, January 13th, 2021, will be the first time in US history that a sitting president will be impeached for a second time.

This is truly remarkable by itself, but this is also the first time in history that a president has a real chance to be removed by the Senate (Andrew Johnson was nearly removed in 1868, thanks selfnoise).

If someone else already signed up to create the OT for this historic day, please feel free to close this one.

A breakdown of what to expect today, estimated times can be found on NPR (link) and other sites.

Rule debate and vote setting parameters:
The House will convene at 9 a.m. ET on Wednesday. After some housekeeping, lawmakers will begin debating the rule that establishes that there will be two hours of debate the impeachment resolution. After the House debates that rule, they vote on it — and possibly another procedural vote. Those are expected to pass mostly along party lines.

As live streams go live, I (or a nice mod!) will add them to the OP.

C-SPAN:

Foltzie said:

For live reaction from Trump, you can go to his YouTube channel or his Twitter feed.

Last edited:

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Trash-ass presdent. Hopefully the worst I'll experience in my lifetime.

Aug 1, 2018
Trash-ass presdent. Hopefully the worst I'll experience in my lifetime.

200.gif

Trump wrote the playbook on how to be terrible and get elected and I feel like the GOP won't be punished as hard as they need to be to prevent another Trump from happening, so... I highly doubt we've reached the bottom.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
is there a list of potential Republican convict votes? I assume Mitt is a lock. Sounds like McConnell and hopefully the moderate Republicans Collins and Murkowski. Toomey from PA is a good bet as well as he announced he isn't running again in 2022.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Born too late to explore the world.
Born too soon to explore the galaxy.
Born just in time to witness the second Impeachment of Donald J. Trump.

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017
This is it folks.

Today, January 13th, 2021, will be the first time in US history that a sitting president will be impeached for a second time.

This is truly remarkable by itself, but this is also the first time in history that the president has a real chance to be removed by the Senate.

If someone else already signed up to create the OT for this historic day, please feel free to close this one.

As live streams go live, I'll (or a nice mod!) will add them to the OP.

C-SPAN:

Andrew Johnson fell a single vote short of being convicted, so technically he's the second president with a "real chance".

Carry on.

Zip

Oct 28, 2017
When do they vote and how fast can he be removed? I thought Biden was doing this within 100 days?

They can vote on it today I believe in the house as they aren't really debating it. To finish before Biden starts though the Senate would have to specially resume session, which McConnell may not want to do.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
I was listening to the prayers

Shit was depressing. Religion needs to be separated from politics.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
When do they vote and how fast can he be removed? I thought Biden was doing this within 100 days?
There were ideas being kicked around because McConnell was basically saying he wouldn't hold the trial until the 19th and if impeachment starts before Schumer becomes majority leader then McConnell sets the rules, which could murder the legislative ability of dems for the duration of the trial depending on how the rules are worded. The current idea seems to be some thinking that McConnell has supposedly given some assurance that there won't be some fucking over so they'll send them right away and McConnell will probably still hold them till the 19th.

Either way I'm not holding my breath on removal.

It'll be gone when it's not about backrooms and whispers.
Fake spines do disappear rather quickly.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
It'll be gone when it's not about backrooms and whispers.

Several Republicans in congress, led by the 3rd most powerful Republican in the House Liz Cheney, have gone on the record endorsing impeachment. Still, we're talking 3 out of a caucus of ... ~210. This isn't some discovery of a sudden spine, but it'll be the first bipartisan impeachment vote in the House ...... since Andrew Johnson (which even itself is kind of stretch because Johnson was a Democrat before being Lincoln's Vice President and forming a Union party)

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Several Republicans in congress, led by the 3rd most powerful Republican in the House, have gone on the record endorsing impeachment. Still, we're talking 3 out of a caucus of ... ~210.
Lets just say, I'm more hopeful of republicans turning their back on Trump now than I was pre-coup last week. By a tiny margin, but still.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Roughly half the people voting on this, who are sure to spend as much time as humanly possible whining and crying about it before dramatically voting against, are probably personally responsible for the attack on their colleagues.

So when you see them cry about unity and Dem's "taking advantage of tragedy" or some other bullshit, remember that they have blood on their hands.

Brat-Sampson

Nov 16, 2017
So today we fully expect the House to Impeach? Then we wait and see a) if Mitch plans to bring it to the Senate any time soon and b) what happens then?

Just checking I'm up to speed on what to expect.