XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
There will not be a single vote yea from house republicans. They are mostly supportive at least sympathetic of his coup attempt. The Senate will be a different story. Regardless, no republicans need to vote yes for him to be impeached today.
There's at least 6 or 7 House Rs, some like Liz Cheney being very prominent, that have already publicly said they'd vote to impeach. Probably end up with a few more than that.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
2/3rds of senators present are needed to convict. Really many GOP senators could just no show the vote. lol

Yeah, true, but that's pretty unlikely after next week. Most will be present, most will exonnerate Trump saying that Democrats need to stop focusing on the past, stop being political, and try to ... I dunno do something for the American people or w/e.

They're craven.

There will not be a single vote yea from house republicans. They are mostly supportive at least sympathetic of his coup attempt. The Senate will be a different story. Regardless, no republicans need to vote yes for him to be impeached today.

There are at least ~6 by my count who will be voting yes on impeachment, including the 3rd ranking Republican in the House, Dick Cheney's daughter, Liz Cheney. Ultimately it doesn't matter, their caucus cohorts with terrorists and insurrectionists. But, it'll be a bipartisan impeachment.

devenger

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
This is the perfect moment for Mitch to break clean and say "yeah thats too much." But he has to whip 17 R senators into agreeing with him.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
It will be a tie, with Kamala Harris breaking the tie, so Dems will be in the majority, but 2/3rds are needed to convict, so about 17 Republicans will need to come over to convict Trump which is probably not going to happen unless some deal is made to convict him ... but I doubt it'll happen.

There's going to be a "Too soon / Old news" dichotomy. Right now, "it's too soon to convict, not enough time to have a trial," and after Trump is out of office I'd imagine you'll see a ... "This is old news, we need to move forward," type bull shit from Republicans. Tough to predict what would happen. Prior to last Wednesday I did not think that Democrats would impeach him again, ~14 days before he was out of office and here we are.

He'll likely just go down as the only president to be impeached twice.

We're at 7 apparently. Daniel Dale retweeted this:

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
We're at 7 apparently. Daniel Dale retweeted this:

I meant in the Senate when this eventually goes to trial. In the senate, I believe there are 3 Republicans who will vote to convict -- Mitt Romney, Pat Toomey, Lisa Murkowski. They will probably need a dozen or so more assuming that most Republicans are present for a vote.

In the house it doesn't matter, Democrats will impeach Trump without a single Republican, but they will get at least 6 (or now 7), earlier estimates had thought we'd get between 10-20.

Captain_Vyse

Jun 24, 2020
Sorry that this comes across as a gripe, but it's incredible to me that this is the second impeachment and yet so few people seem to understand how this process works. Maybe most of the questions are coming from other countries in which case I can't fault people asking, but the number of people from the US that have no clue really sort of depresses me. Civic engagement is just so poor.
Civics isn't even a requirement is school anymore. I took it as an elective, but most don't. It's depressing to see how many people in the US don't know the very basics of how the Government works. Of course, I don't expect everyone to know every little minor rule, but I expect them to know the basics. Even just to know what's taught in Schoolhouse Rocks would be a start.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
I lived in SW CT for 30 years. My family wasn't rich and decidedly blue collar at that. They're an incredibly WASPY bunch and very old money. IDK if Chicago is similar but these people are by far the most obnoxious lot of fucking snobs I've ever encountered.

well I can't speak for all of Chicago. But I haven't encountered a lot of those. And I've been to quite a few larger parties with my wife's company, which is a talent/modeling agency.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Was in a meeting: So is what they're voting on now another vote-for-a-vote or the actual impeachment vote?

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
mcconnell +

romney
murkowski
collins
toomey
sasse
paul

...then i run out of republicans

McConnell never said that he will vote to impeach in the Senate. A source close to McConnell said he supports impeachment in the House. I have no doubt that McConnell supports impeachment in the house both because it can, eventually, push Trumpism out of his senate caucus, but more important, an impeachment trial can be used to grind government to a hault and eat up time in the first two years of Biden's presidency.

I don't think that Collins, Sasse, or Paul have committed to it. I'd be shocked if Collins and Paul did. I'd imagine Collins will say that Trump learned a valuable lesson and that we should move on, and Rand Paul, who the fuck knows what goes on in his head. Sasse might. I think that makes four.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is for the first impeachment trial in the Senate from 2019:

biparz4kn2.png

Today we have Republicans voting Yea for the first time from the House.

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
This isn't true. There are not many, but a few house republicans have already stated they will vote yea.

Edit: Sorry, I see this has been corrected several times already.

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
Civics isn't even a requirement is school anymore. I took it as an elective, but most don't. It's depressing to see how many people in the US don't know the very basics of how the Government works. Of course, I don't expect everyone to know every little minor rule, but I expect them to know the basics. Even just to know what's taught in Schoolhouse Rocks would be a start.

High time for this country to value education again.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Remember that the Republican House does not accurately represent the Republican Senate. There were vast differences in their voting on certifying the election results.