You've seen the movie. What will you do next? You may choose up to two choices.

• Watch it three times for all three Marios: Mario Mario, and Luigi Mario.

Votes: 120 22.8%
  • Follow the box office threads with great interest.

Votes: 172 32.6%
  • Begin constructing the [INSERT MISSING CHARACTER HERE] summoning circle for the sequel.

Votes: 109 20.7%
  • Prepare to eat and/or serve crow for various reasons.

Votes: 18 3.4%
  • Return to the bunker to avoid the months of Nintendo Cinematic Universe think pieces.

Votes: 99 18.8%
  • "I'm going to Super Nintendo World!"

Votes: 161 30.6%
  • Other

Votes: 52 9.9%

• Total voters

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
foevbcsayamvqpf-16754zjf74.jpg

Release dates: April 1st, 2023 (USA, Los Angeles premiere); April 5th, 2023 (USA, wide release); April 28th, 2023 (Japan)
Studio: Illumination
Distributor: Universal Studios
Directed by: Aaron Horvath and Michael Jelenic
Screenplay by: Matthew Fogel
Composed by: Brian Tyler (with score consultation by Koji Kondo)
Executive produced by: Chris Meledandri and Shigeru Miyamoto
Runtime: 1 hour, 32 minutes

Friends, it's time to get hooked on the brothers. This is the official thread for The Super Mario Bros. Movie, Illumination's 13th feature-length film and the first feature-length Mario film since the live-action adaptation from 1993. I will request that we keep spoilers tagged until at least a week after the U.S. wide release (so, April 12th). Before we properly settle ourselves, let's look at a sample of the cast.

Mario
mario_artwork_tsmbmiidyo.png

Voiced by: Chris Pratt
First game appearance - Donkey Kong (1981)

Our everyman hero returns to the big screen, once again cast as a plumber from Brooklyn.

Luigi
tsmbm_luigimccka.png

Voiced by: Charlie Day
First game appearance - Mario Bros. (Game & Watch version, 1983)

After arriving in the Mushroom Kingdom, Luigi is taken captive by Bowser. Mario is out to save his bacon.

Princess Peach
tsmbm_poster_peachz5cvg.png

Voiced by: Anya Taylor-Joy
First game appearance - Super Mario Bros. (1985)

The beleaguered monarch of the Mushroom Kingdom takes charge of Mario's training, likely in the hopes of finding an ally to stop Bowser's reign of terror once and for all.

Toad
tsmbm_poster_toadvlevd.png

Voiced by: Keegan-Michael Key

Toad is among the first friendly faces whom Mario meets when he gets isekai'd. As usual, he is one of a legion of near-identical fungus-themed critters designed to sell plush toys.

Bowser
tsmbm_bowser_and_peng5se3h.png

Voiced by: Jack Black

The Koopa King has been conquering kingdoms and collecting Stars with reckless abandon. Only one pair of siblings can stop him.

Kamek
mario-movie-kamek.larepe90.jpg

Voiced by: Kevin Michael Richardson
First game appearance - Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (1995)

Probably one of the only post-1989 canon characters to have any semi-significant role in this film, Kamek once again serves as Bowser's loyal advisor and magic caster.

Donkey Kong
screen_shot_2022_11_2isi97.jpg

Voiced by: Seth Rogen
First game appearance - Donkey Kong (1981) or Donkey Kong Country (1994)

Mario's travels presumably take him to the country of Donkey Kong...a Donkey Kong Country if you will. As in the games, the great ape oscillates between friend and foe to the red-clad hero. His father(?) Cranky Kong -- voiced by Fred Armisen -- also appears in this film.

Lumalee
lumalees-dark-sense-ofyix6.jpg

Voiced by: Juliet Jelenic
First game appearance: Super Mario Galaxy (2007)

Otherwise known as a Salesman Luma, the Lumalees are Mushroom vendors in the Galaxy titles, offering Mario or Luigi power-ups in exchange for tasty Star Bits. This Lumalee is one of Bowser's captives and an absolute nihilist to boot.

Promotional Material:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KydqdKKyGEk

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnGl01FkMMo

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzuUOqABGf0

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjNcTBXTk4I

Reviews?:
Check this thread if you dare.

I hope you all enjoy the film. I'm going to be watching it with my younger brother on Wednesday. Oh, and just one more 1-up heads-up: feel free to poke your head into my Mario vs. Little Mermaid betting thread if you like chaos. OT name provided by entut1.

Last edited:

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
So pumped for this.

I have two hopes

A teaser at the end for a sequel featuring Wario

New Donk City as a setting and the movie uses the term New Donker. Maybe Mario himself is a New Donker. Then my username will be a lot more obvious to people.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I'm bummed I can't go till next week. On the flip side 5 family members wanna go with and the one paying wants to do RPX, so it should be a blast

Also if there's a DK sequel tease in the post credits it'd Better have K Rool!

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
My brother is so excited for this film. It's pretty infectious, actually. Should be seeing it on Thursday.

Ironically the last movie I saw in theaters was the original Sonic the Hedgehog just before the pandemic hit.

Deleted member 108302

Jan 29, 2022
It's truly bizarre that we're all excited for a Illumination movie. Hopefully they can keep this up going foward

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Will watch it about 2-3 weeks after release.

This will be my first theatrical movie since Captain Marvel in 2019.

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
we need a bonk movie somewhere down the line. 16 bit wars never die.

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
Here for Kirby post credit scene to talk about the smash bros initiative

That final trailer was fucking fantastic

Simba

Nov 25, 2017
i will see this movie with two of my nephews. not expecting a lot but hoping its success leads to a donkey kong country and star fox movie.

boxter432

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Who is this mysterious spiked paratroopa who gets to be on the poster?
Is a spiked paratroopa even a thing that existed before this?

Here for Kirby post credit scene to talk about the smash bros initiative

That final trailer was fucking fantastic
The main crew is sitting in the castle eating some cake.
There's a pounding st the door, it opens, a giant circular shadow envelops the room. We never see the character…we just hear….
"HiiiiIiiiiiIIIII"
end scene.

Jason Frost

Oct 27, 2017
The princess Luigi has been kidnapped by koopas. Are you a super enough brothers to rescue the princess Luigi?

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Pics from the premier (I love everyone's kinda dressing it up)
shutterstock_editorial_13852943eu-1680469736.jpg
shutterstock_editorial_13852943cs-1680469755.jpg

Anya-Taylor-Joy_Dior-1680469716.jpg
shutterstock_editorial_13852943ch-1680469685.jpg
shutterstock_editorial_13852943cc-1680469775.jpg

Jack's custom suit is on another level. 🔥
Tragically DK Rogen didn't make too much an attempt.

Last edited:

RUFF BEEST

Jun 10, 2022
Toronto, ON
Kamek
mario-movie-kamek.larepe90.jpg

Voiced by: Kevin Michael Richardson
First game appearance - Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (1995)

Probably the only post-1989 canon character to have any semi-significant role in this film, Kamek once again serves as Bowser's loyal advisor and magic caster.
Isn't this just a Koopa Wizard from Super Mario World that got a name? Who is saying we never saw this character until 1995?
2832515-3195793264-tumbl.gif

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
Great OT Scrappy. Got my tickets for 10am tomorrow. Super excited.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
Is a spiked paratroopa even a thing that existed before this?

The main crew is sitting in the castle eating some cake.
There's a pounding st the door, it opens, a giant circular shadow envelops the room. We never see the character…we just hear….
"HiiiiIiiiiiIIIII"
end scene.
Oh man a mario characters universe, or MCU if you will, would be amazing.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
Going to a movie party at the Alamo on Saturday. Can't wait. Then as it turns out, heading to California and hitting up super Nintendo world, but that wasn't planned to coincide lol.

OP
OP
Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
Thank you all for the kind words.

Scrappy-Fan92 Wouldn't the Luma we've seen in the trailer and has a Happy Meal toy be another post-1989 canon character in the film?
I should clarify that I meant "canon" as in these were individual (as "individual" as characters belonging to select Mario species can be, see below) characters of nominal importance in the games. I'm sure the Luma will be a scene-stealer, but as far as we know that is just a new Luma created for the film, unlike Polari or Lubba or the cream-colored Baby Luma from the Galaxy titles.

EDIT: It's come to my attention that the Luma whom Luigi converses with in the final trailer might be Lumalee from Mario Galaxy. They've been added to the OP.

Isn't this just a Koopa Wizard from Super Mario World that got a name? Who is saying we never saw this character until 1995?
2832515-3195793264-tumbl.gif
Nintendo never confirmed it one way or another. "Kamek" being the catch-all name for both the individual character and all Magikoopas in Japan further muddles the issue. Since the Kamek was never called attention to and given special connections to Bowser until Yoshi's Island, I assume that's his debut. Of course, that raises the question of whether the Toad was one of the Mushroom Retainers in the first Super Mario Bros. or someone who didn't properly debut until the international Super Mario Bros. 2. Even Nintendo probably doesn't know.

Last edited:

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
I'm obsessed with the Mario franchise and I think the visuals are great here, but I'm very uninterested in the movie. If it's not boring it's already a success.
Will watch it tomorrow anyway.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Every single trailer of this movie makes it feel like it's a series of Mario vignettes rather than a coherent movie.

"Here's the Mario Kart part"
"Here's the part that's like Super Mario Bros"
"This is the part of the movie that's like Super Mario Galaxy"
etc.

Anyway, expectations are very low. If this manages somehow to be good, I'll be surprised.

B. Spaceman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Spain
So, at first everyone thought the movie was going yo be absolutely terrible, that it would look nothing like the games, be full of pop culture music and everything was going to be bad and corny. But now, since all of those things didn't happen, the bar has risen a lot, and now because It doesn't have a dep plot, it's going to be bad. The fact that the movie seems to be decent, fun and faithful to the games should be good news, but this is resetera...

eZn

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Could you imagine if we had the Super Mario Movie when we were 12?

Even Better we have it when we're 40!