You've seen the movie. What will you do next? You may choose up to two choices.

• Watch it three times for all three Marios: Mario Mario, and Luigi Mario.

Votes: 120 22.8%
  • Follow the box office threads with great interest.

Votes: 172 32.6%
  • Begin constructing the [INSERT MISSING CHARACTER HERE] summoning circle for the sequel.

Votes: 109 20.7%
  • Prepare to eat and/or serve crow for various reasons.

Votes: 18 3.4%
  • Return to the bunker to avoid the months of Nintendo Cinematic Universe think pieces.

Votes: 99 18.8%
  • "I'm going to Super Nintendo World!"

Votes: 161 30.6%
  • Other

Votes: 52 9.9%

• Total voters
Mar 11, 2020
So is it weird i actually didn't mind Chris Pratt's performance? I absolutely hated Fred Armisen as Cranky though. He didn't sound like how i would think Cranky sounds at all. It was by far the worst performance but everyone else i would say was great casting. I didn't even recognize Keegan as Toad tbh.

Strat

"This guy are sick"
Apr 8, 2018
Cranky was terrible. I honestly don't know what they were going for.

Prevolition

Oct 27, 2017
Outside of Luma it was the safest possible movie I've seen in years but my theater, with a 70/30 kids/adults split, was howling with laughter and excitement. But I agree with you. They can't make another one this sterile and lacking in story or the drop off is going to be huge. If this didn't have the Mario IP this movie wouldn't even have a thread about it. So much goodwill has been built up so it only needed to be decent.
Yeah it was definitely safe. I think the humor seems hit or miss for connecting with the audience. There was one point where I audibly chuckled but I can't remember where... I think it was involving Bowser.

So is it weird i actually didn't mind Chris Pratt's performance? I absolutely hated Fred Armisen as Cranky though. He didn't sound like how i would think Cranky sounds at all. It was by far the worst performance but everyone else i would say was great casting. I didn't even recognize Keegan as Toad tbh.

Cranky was a little weird, but DK sounded the most off to me. Seth Rogan's voice is so high in range that it doesn't fit his body. If he tried to sound lower it would have been better, like at least Keegan tried.

And I think that's the problem with the casting, is that almost all the voices just sound like the actors, whereas trained voice actors are able to get in character more and make you forget what the person behind the mic looks like. Like besides Bowser and Toad, how many of the characters can you imitate or actual care to?

Also that makes me wonder, when the Sonic movie released was anybody talking about the voice? With Detective Pikachu Ryan Reynolds was funny, but there was an explanation for it in the plot.

Alent

"This guy are sick"
Oct 28, 2017
It was fun. I liked how unashamed it was to be a video game film. It actually kinda made me like DK who I'd never really liked much before despite enjoying the games.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
Enjoyed the movie. My 3 year old really liked it.

I agree with a comment above that there was basically no laughter at my viewing last night. There really aren't any laugh out loud moments at all. I kind of hated that blue star thing, felt like they were trying to be edgy but it fell flat.

The movie's Japanese release will feature a tweaked script.

entut1

Mar 31, 2023
Some insights but also notes for anyone that thought Miyamoto hates stories

www.videogameschronicle.com

Shigeru Miyamoto says the Mario Movie has surpassed his expectations | VGC

Nintendo’s creative fellow discusses the film’s huge success ahead of its Japanese release…

From Nintendo, we created the "Movie Project Team" by gathering staff from the character creation team and people who like movies from the team that specializes in creating demo scenes for "The Legend of Zelda" series and others.

Earlier in the press junket, Miyamoto revealed that the Japanese version of the Mario Bros. Movie wasn't a straight translation of the US version. Rather, Nintendo had handled the Japanese script independently.

According to Miyamoto, this was in order to create a more engaging film for Nintendo's home audience, rather than something that would be "awkward" when compared to the US version created by Illumination.

"Since we were creating this movie in both Japan and the United States, we thought we should make a Japanese version as well," the creative fellow told assembled press.

"What I often say is that in games, we should value stories that are 'like real stories, even though they're not.' They're completely fictional, but I think they seem almost real because there's some element of reality in them. This is true for dramas as well. When I see that the most important part, which is making it seem 'like a real story' is done carelessly, I feel disappointed.

"So when we decided to make this movie, we discussed creating a unique Japanese script from the beginning. Even if we were shown an English script, it would be hard to understand the subtle nuances."

"At Nintendo, I have the joke title of 'NHK Morning Drama Critic'," he said, referencing the national broadcasting company in Japan. "I check morning dramas every day and provide various critiques. Sometimes I'll praise them as being fantastic, and other times I'll point out their shortcomings.

"Gradually, I've become more outspoken, and even my wife has told me, 'I don't want to hear it, go talk about it somewhere else." [laughs] Over the past 10 or 20 years of doing this, I've developed an interest in creating dramas.

"I find that morning dramas often have lively dialogue. Directors who emphasise ad-libs tend to create more engaging content overall. When a director or cinematographer is on set and says, 'Okay, that's a wrap!' I often think, 'I can't believe they approved this line.' I realised that lively conversations are crucial in creating dramas."

He added: "For this Japanese version, we wanted to create a script that wouldn't be awkward when compared to Chris's [the director] version, so we were involved in various ways up until the voice recording. Basically, over the past decade or so, I've been quite conscious of creating dramas in my daily life."

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
The Cranky Kong from the animated series.

a9b.gif

entut1

Mar 31, 2023
Oh, I only just now realized Day was capitalized lol
Some other suggestions that didn't make the cut, maybe next time.
-Illuminariooooooo
-A Shigeru Miyamoto/Chris Meledandri production
-Kung Fu Koopa
-The Lego Movie 3 : Mario Bogaloo
-A Pratt in Time
-Black at heart, Bowser?
-Toad, you have the Key, it will be you who opens the door...
-Peach, you've been full of Joy lately...

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
So is it weird i actually didn't mind Chris Pratt's performance?
Finally got around to seeing it and I thought he actually did a pretty good job with it. Pleasantly surprised.
Gonna ignore the bit about Kranky, cause I really liked that take on him…

Movie was really fun and I can tell there's a ton of little Easter eggs I missed that'll be fun to see on second watch down the line. I NEED more Jack Black as Bowser in my life now, though…

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Saw a cheap showing tonight. So many good musical cues, probably the best part of the movie - when they didn't piss on a moment with a licensed needle drop, I mean.

Beyond that...it was fine. Completely fine. Some parts made me chuckle, some parts made me smile, some parts made me roll my eyes. Appreciated how active Peach was, even if some parts of it felt like an adaptation of the Super Mario World comic from the 90s. I'm glad I only paid $8 for a ticket but I can't complain.

edit: ok one complaint, Luigi wasn't in it enough. That's all.

entut1

Mar 31, 2023
These were my experiences, too. Nobody laughing in the theater, not even the kids. The blue luma felt out of place. The pop music syncs were so trite, too. Everything felt sterile and lacking charm.
I'm pretty sure if a kid can't laugh at this, then he's probably staring silently in wonder. One thing I thought this movie did extremely well is that it pushed its action seemingly as hard as it could with the time and budget they've got. Illumination never made action such a big focus of one of their movies before, but this movie definitely shows they can when they try deliver some of the best out of western animation. Some of these action scenes are up there with the Kung Fu Panda trilogy, Puss in Boots 2 and Spider-Verse. I can't legit remember the last time an animated movie I've seen that got something close to 9-12 action scenes in a 92-minute span.

Last edited:

Tom Nook

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Buying a ticket through Fandango has no mention of it being Japanese and no subtitles. (bottom showtimes)
Screenshot-2023-04-26-at-11-10-32-The-Super-Mario-Bros-Movie-2023.png

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Pratt did a great job. I enjoyed his Mario very much.

I didn't mind Cranky Kong. Thought he was good.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
I rewatched Sonic 2 last night with my son and man that movie is loaded with famous pop songs too. Not sure why people were harping on it so much with this movie.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
your mom's house
I rewatched Sonic 2 last night with my son and man that movie is loaded with famous pop songs too. Not sure why people were harping on it so much with this movie.
Mario is just the better game adaptation, so it's more jarring. The Sonic movies come across a lot more "Hollywood" than Mario, especially the first one.

Make no mistake though, Sonic 1 and 2 have a lot more dumb Hollywood shit in then than the Mario movie does.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
Because one is set in a real life world and Sonic actively listening to music/messing with real life items while the other is completely fictional and more so out of place
Either one can be liked/disliked but there is a reason why Sonic didn't get as much flak for its use compared to mario

Last edited:

chubbpenguin

Banned
Jan 16, 2023
Look, it's okay to like terrible. My favorite genre of film is horror; I love tons of genuine pieces of trash. But you have to be able to admit it is terrible at the same time.

I can watch the 93 Mario Bros & have fun with it; but in the same breath, I can admit how absolutely horrendous it is. The movie has next to no redeeming qualities aside from the knowledge Hoskins & Leguizamo were drunk off their asses for most of it. There isn't a world I'd say the 93 version holds a candle to this new film.

In summary; it's perfectly fine to like garbage; but don't pretend it isn't garbage.

Any movie I like is a good movie. We dont "have to admit" anything lol.

Prevolition

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure if a kid can't laugh at this, then he's probably staring silently in wonder. One thing I thought this movie did extremely well is that it pushed its action seemingly as hard as it could with the time and budget they've got. Illumination never made action such a big focus of one of their movies before, but this movie definitely shows they can when they try deliver some of the best out of western animation. Some of these action scenes are up there with the Kung Fu Panda trilogy, Puss in Boots 2 and Spider-Verse. I can't legit remember the last time an animated movie I've seen that got something close to 9-12 action scenes in a 92-minute span.

Fair enough that they were probably in wonder. I don't doubt that many of those kids loved the movie, just pointing out that my theater experience was different than those that had people of all ages hooting and hollering (and we had a basically full theater, too). I would say that great animation and back-to-back action sequences doesn't make it a great film or a faithful adaptation of the spirit of the Mario games, and I hope the next one focuses less on cramming so much into one movie and explores more interesting story. Otherwise there doesn't need to be another film if the goal was to encapsulate every Mario trope.

I didn't like them in Sonic and Sonic 2 either. :(

entut1

Mar 31, 2023
I would say that great animation and back-to-back action sequences doesn't make it a great film or a faithful adaptation of the spirit of the Mario games, and I hope the next one focuses less on cramming so much into one movie and explores more interesting story.
That doesn't make it a great film for sure (it's nothing special in terms of message or substance), but I'm pretty sure the mainline Mario games are meant to be action games with Mario going on an adventure around the world/the country with little to no plot, which is exactly what this is. As far as I know tho, I do share the same hopes as you concerning a better story/more substance next time.

A big part of the reason the pop songs seemed ill-fitting and took me out of the movie immediately, is how badly they clashed with the rich uniqueness of weaving Koji Kondo's catalog into the primary score.

In a typical film with a lot of licensed songs, the score is a bland back channel and the songs at least perk things up a bit. Cheesy cheap fun.

Here, they're a blemish.

bloopland33

Mar 4, 2020
Hopefully it's not long till we can start to learn some of the differences in the Japanese version of the movie. I'm pretty curious, hope we hear something tomorrow

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Finally got around to it. Greivously overcharged for tickets but it was pretty fun

Raggie

Oct 16, 2018
Just saw it and had a lot of fun! It's everything I could have asked from a Super Mario movie.

Fingers crossed for Luigi's Mansion next!