• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

You've seen the movie. What will you do next? You may choose up to two choices.

• Watch it three times for all three Marios: Mario Mario, and Luigi Mario.

Votes: 120 22.8%
  • Follow the box office threads with great interest.

Votes: 172 32.6%
  • Begin constructing the [INSERT MISSING CHARACTER HERE] summoning circle for the sequel.

Votes: 109 20.7%
  • Prepare to eat and/or serve crow for various reasons.

Votes: 18 3.4%
  • Return to the bunker to avoid the months of Nintendo Cinematic Universe think pieces.

Votes: 99 18.8%
  • "I'm going to Super Nintendo World!"

Votes: 161 30.6%
  • Other

Votes: 52 9.9%

• Total voters

Idde

Oct 27, 2017
Just got around to watching this, and perhaps I'm easily amused, but that was a blast. High octane throughout, with very fluidly animated action. And everything worked for me. Perhaps because I've been playing since the NES, but a lot of the gags were on point. Like how Mario flailed around a bit chasing after the Tanooki power up. That's gotta be something everyone who played Mario three (and World) should be somewhat familiar with. Or Mario escaping the chompy truck on Rainbow Road by jumping down, and not missing the jump shortcut.

I was hoping for an energetic movie with love for the source material, and that's exactly what it delivered.

Donkey Kong's characterization was on point, Luigi ending up in the haunted mansion was very Luigi's mansion like, and the opening side scrolling part (which they transitioned into seamlessly) immediately and effectively set the tone for the rest of the movie. And Peach was a certified bad ass (man, I love Anya Taylor-Joy). It's not an award winning film, but as a movie version of a very story light, fun platformer...it hit all the right notes?

OP
OP
Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021

Embiid

Feb 20, 2021
Recently saw it and thought it was fun. The only complaint I have is a few of the needle drops but kids probably liked them so I get why they did it.

More importantly, anyone else feel bad for the bomb guy with the big mustache? He was just sitting there chilling taking a nap not bothering anyone and Peach lit his fuse up with a fireball and killed the poor guy. Come on man, seemed totally unnecessary 😔

OP
OP
Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
King Bob-omb? Yes, I feel bad and am hoping that "boss" characters in this film universe operate on game logic and can just resurrect by their next appearance.

entut1

Mar 31, 2023

View: https://x.com/LenchnerV48998/status/1703431706295030170?s=20

Other cut footage:

A panel from May with the screenwriter that somehow flew under the radar all this time.

After the first 15 minutes, Matthew Fogel starts talking about Mario:
A few tidbits:
-The goal was to write a script that had just enough emotion/story to sustain a movie
-Matthew Fogel acknowledges the criticism about the movie being too fast-paced and talks about it
-There was a year or so during the production/pre-production where Bowser was really just a really mean villain, Fogel compares to a Marvel villain. It didn't feel right, so they eventually added the side of him being more likeable.
-Also they made a very specific choice to avoid exposition, citing how the iconography has been in the public conscioussness for the last 40 years and how exposition is usually the death for family movies.
-1 hour and 45 minutes worth of story beats were crammed into 80 minutes
-He also mentions how it's hard to uphold attention with children when the movie is over 90 minutes long.
-Didn't add Yoshi because the whole thing was barely hanging together
-has a special connection with this movie since it's the first he built from the ground-up
-They are already looking into stuff for Mario 2

Last edited:

SalvaPot

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

View: https://x.com/LenchnerV48998/status/1703431706295030170?s=20

Other cut footage:

A panel from May with the screenwriter that somehow flew under the radar all this time.

After the first 15 minutes, Matthew Fogel starts talking about Mario:
A few tidbits:
-The goal was to write a script that had just enough emotion/story to sustain a movie
-Matthew Fogel acknowledges the criticism about the movie being too fast-paced and talks about it
-There was a year or so during the production/pre-production where Bowser was really just a really mean villain, Fogel compares to a Marvel villain. It didn't feel right, so they eventually added the side of him being more likeable.
-1 hour and 45 minutes worth of story beats were crammed into 80 minutes
-Didn't add Yoshi because the whole thing was barely hanging together
-has a special connection with this movie since it's the first he built from the ground-up
-They are already looking into stuff for Mario 2

I'm happy with the fast pace, I don't think the movie was going to hold our attentions for 2 hours.

entut1

Mar 31, 2023
I'm happy with the fast pace, I don't think the movie was going to hold our attentions for 2 hours.
I think it certainly wasn't going to if the character work was just so... thin. When you want to do longer movies you need to put in the drama/character work to hold the audience's attention. More quieter moments, more introspective. This movie just wasn't interested in all that other than the bare minimum. Mario's character arc (overcoming the belief of others he's a loser) is undercooked enough you may as well miss it on first watch. The focus on his determination is here but there's not much emphasis on his fears. As a result a lot of the movie feels kind of conflict-less from a psychological standpoint until the last 10 minutes where the movie remembers, oh shoot, we have character arcs to resolve!

Last edited:

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Finally saw this on a plane and I was really happy with…everything! Even Pratt sounded a lot better than I expected, and it wasn't nearly as "Illumination-ey" as I feared. It's an absolutely gorgeous movie with an amazing score, and while there were one too many 80s needle drops ("Take on Me" made no sense as an introduction to Kong Island) those songs are all great, so I can live with them.

Martinet as the Bros' dad 🥲

Raxus

Oct 26, 2017
Finally saw this on a plane and I was really happy with…everything! Even Pratt sounded a lot better than I expected, and it wasn't nearly as "Illumination-ey" as I feared. It's an absolutely gorgeous movie with an amazing score, and while there were one too many 80s needle drops ("Take on Me" made no sense as an introduction to Kong Island) those songs are all great, so I can live with them.

Martinet as the Bros' dad 🥲
Check out the official soundtrack and be prepared to get mad.

View: https://youtu.be/Qed7LjHbIIg?si=iUIIvNoUR974fL4i

The (likely) good news is agree everyone shat on the needle drops. I think they will stick to the ost for the sequel.

OP
OP
Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
I was not as against the licensed music as others were/are. It can work (look at Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius' launch scene for example), but yes, I would prefer more game music. Or rather, even more game music. And looking at those deleted scenes just reminds me of how gorgeous this movie is.

Last edited:

entut1

Mar 31, 2023
I was not as against the licensed music as others were/are. It can work (look at Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius' launch scene for example), but yes, I would prefer more game music. Or rather, even more game music. And looking at those deleted scenes just reminds me of how gorgeous this movie is.
Yeah, hands down the best art direction in an Illumination movie since the Lorax. I only wish the ambition of the story matched the visuals XD.

Last edited:

entut1

Mar 31, 2023
Oh. They privated the video where he says they're looking at stuff for Mario 2. Lol. Nintendo Ninjas on ERA?

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017

I just wish some of the game songs were given more room to breath. It felt like there were a lot of teases for songs and then they were cut short. I found that pretty frustrating as you felt so hyped hearing the music only for it not to happen.

entut1

Mar 31, 2023
I just wish some of the game songs were given more room to breath. It felt like there were a lot of teases for songs and then they were cut short. I found that pretty frustrating as you felt so hyped hearing the music only for it not to happen.
I can definitely understand the feeling at least. The Superstars track for example has three segments with the actual Starman theme that last a couple of seconds + a triumphant 1-1 segment that lasts a couple of seconds too across the entire 100 seconds piece. The airship theme at the beginning also lasts a couple of seconds only along the Bowser movie theme (which seems inspired by Galaxy?). Kind of a OST who's like the movie where it has a lot of stuff but a bunch of it is undercooked.

Tsumami

Feb 3, 2022
Its not likely but itd be pretty awesome if at least one mario movie takes inspo from one of the RPGs