• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the glorious return to form for Crash on a portable console

it's been since the GBA, Crash fans were waiting

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Microsoft, you're leaving money on the table with Rare Replay.

Not really, at least not over here in the UK.

Crash was probably the biggest platforming icon of that gen here.

Rare Replay would sell OK on Switch, but the likes of Banjo weren't on the same league as Crash in terms of popularity.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
By the time the inevitable Spyro trilogy Switch port happens, the userbase will be large enough to allow it to sell even more I bet. Great news for Crash itself too though.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not really, at least not over here in the UK.

Crash was probably the biggest platforming icon of that gen here.

Rare Replay would sell OK on Switch, but the likes of Banjo weren't on the same league as Crash in terms of popularity.
Strange because that gen had mario64, banjo, rayman2, tonic trouble and many other great platformers

Mister X

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
I play retro platformers regularly and, honestly, I think they're just OK. Lots of folks adore the series but I never felt the mechanics were quite good enough. Super Magnetic Neo is better. ;-)

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

And lol IGN gave Super Magnetic Neo a 6.9.

Crash Bandicoot is better. Crash 3 is at a 91 meta score.

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
Looking at Steam, Crash doesn't seem to be doing particularly well on PC. It has very high approval and has probably sold 20k+ but it's already out of the top 10 sellers.

It shows as #6 currently on my list.. (it wont show games you own unless you click on the Top Sellers for the list) And besides that... every single other game in the top 10 is massively reduced price due to the Steam sale. So right now the list is kinda skewed. It's undoubtedly the highest selling new game since it launched.

SteamSpy shows it currently between 100,000-200,000 owners

http://steamspy.com/app/731490

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well there hasn't been any big notable releases so far on Switch so far this year so not suprising.

Stairouais

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
France
Oh no. In ten years Europe will only be known as the market that only loves Crash. Like with Gianna sisters.
In american podcasts you'll hear people say " I've heard they don't even know Mario there"

Amalthea

Dec 22, 2017
*WHOAH-ing intensifies*

Crash is great and I say that as a lifelong Nintendo fan.

MajinArekkusu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Germany
I loved those games as a kid but they did not age all that well. The platforming just isn't as tight anymore, but great that it is such a success. I mean it already was last year and continues now on the switch.

Now on to the truly well aged Crash game CTR. Please remake that one! With online play. PS4 needs it's mario kart.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Umm.. yes? If not, why?

It's not sold well because there's a lack of new releases. It's sold well because it's Crash Bandicoot.

The PS1 games have been the top selling PS1 Classics on PS3 here since they came on the service. Sometimes MGS or FFVII might be up there, but they've consistently been the top selling for almost a decade.

OP
OP
Guaraná

Guaraná

Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
Europe loves Sonic!

j286yt033e401.jpg

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If there is nothing people want, games would not be bought, period. Crash has a history of success in Europe so the game doing well on switch there isn't too surprising

It's not sold well because there's a lack of new releases. It's sold well because it's Crash Bandicoot.

The PS1 games have been the top selling PS1 Classics on PS3 here since they came on the service. Sometimes MGS or FFVII might be up there, but they've consistently been the top selling for almost a decade.

That still doesn't take it from that there hasn't been any big releases for Switch so far this year that can rival Crash. Kirby, Mario Tennis and Wii U port.

Crash is bigger than any of those I mentioned.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It shows as #6 currently on my list.. (it wont show games you own unless you click on the Top Sellers for the list) And besides that... every single other game in the top 10 is massively reduced price due to the Steam sale. So right now the list is kinda skewed. It's undoubtedly the highest selling new game since it launched.

SteamSpy shows it currently between 100,000-200,000 owners

http://steamspy.com/app/731490
SteamSpy isn't working currently. It says that for most games. The problem, as I see it, is that the game has an all-time peak player number of 3,755, which is really not good for such a mainstream and popular title. It is possible the game will demonstrate decent legs once the Steam sale ends, however.

Grim Patron

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Looking at Steam, Crash doesn't seem to be doing particularly well on PC. It has very high approval and has probably sold 20k+ but it's already out of the top 10 sellers.

The PC version will be the lowest selling by a long shot in comparison. Switch will approach PS4 depending on legs. Glad to see crash do so well on consoles.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well there hasn't been any big notable releases so far on Switch so far this year so not suprising.

This is the new "Switch owners are starving for games." right? :lol

You're right, this one-year late third party port placed between two major exclusive releases (Mario Tennis and Octopath Traveler) is successful because there are no games coming out.

Right.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's not what Im saying. Im saying there hasn't been a Zelda, a Smash or a Mario plattformer or any giant Nintendo IP so far this year so Crash selling well is not suprising to me.
Again, nothing being on the table doesn't inflate Crash's sales. It sold because people like Crash. Nothing more, nothing less

Oct 27, 2017
That's not what Im saying. Im saying there hasn't been a Zelda, a Smash or a Mario plattformer or any giant Nintendo IP so far this year so Crash selling well is not suprising to me.

I bought Crash and I've bought so many Switch games this year. I bought it because I want it (and its great value for money) lol. Not this starving business again :(

Oct 29, 2017
Ladies and gentlemen, the power of good pricing and good value for money in the UK.

If there was any proof of just how price concious the UK market is, well, here you go!

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This still amazes me that the game has done so well. Crash never appealed to me. Guess I need to get out of my bubble (I'm still not buying this game though)

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Err I feel like it selling only 250 fewer copies than the XB1 version is the real story here, considering the install bases.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017

Mario Tennis Aces launched the week before, and i can still see the Nadal commercial on TV.

Plus don't underestimate the fact that this game came out a year later on Switch and Xbox.

But I wonder how much of the success of Crash in UK (and in EU) has to do to the fact that Nintendo's business here before the Gamecube was relatively small so it didn't have it's biggest competitor Super Mario 64.