• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
The Game Awards "Player's Voice" category went live yesterday and a few ten thousand votes have already been counted.

It's still early in the race and a lot can still change but so far i find it fascinating how "alike" the fans are voting in comparison to the 120+ voting websites/magazines/critics/etc. who ultimately decide which game wins at the end. If Mario would change place with Cyberpunk the top 6 games are 1:1 with the Game of the Year nominees.

"Interesting" so far:

- the Top 13 games are almost all full priced titles (1 Full Price add-on and 1 smaller title)
- the last 7 titles are some of the biggest f2p/mp titles around
- Starfield (so far) trails quite a bit behind the leading pack of titles
- High-Fi Rush deserves way more time in the spotlight
- Baldur's Gate 3 is over 10.000 votes ahead

LIVE COUNT

Unbenannt.jpg

Also funny to see that, despite certain twitter superfans and youtube hatemongers decrying something different, not enough fan-voters seem to care about certain titles and a game being inclusive isn't a negative thing for the majority.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
It makes sense, critics and journalists are also human and I don't see why they wouldn't generally appreciate games that the general audience does as well.

Ara63

Nov 21, 2023
That's actually really close all the way down from BG3 all the way to the 15-18 block. Just goes to show how many good games came out this year that there's barely any separation that far down.

NekoNeko

Coward
Oct 26, 2017
imagine telling someone in 2016 that no man sky would be competitive with Diablo 4 and the next Bethesda RPG for most popular game of 2023.

Nakenorm

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
My personal list would definitely look different but can't argue with that. Is Phantom Liberty really that good?

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
Geoff should have replaced these old live service games with cool indie games that actually released this year. :(

Yam's

Oct 27, 2017
People have to choose from a predefined list. Of course results are gonna be the same as with the journalists.

Would have been a lot more interesting if players could vote for any game they wanted.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
People have to choose from a predefined list. Of course results are gonna be the same as with the journalists.

Would have been a lot more interesting if players could vote for any game they wanted.

Like... what game? This is a list of current year releases and service games with notable updates. What magical game do you think they left out that would get notable amount of votes?

PeterThePanda

Jun 10, 2020
Spain
Some people voting think they are trying to do something clever with the game at number 10 , but it looks so dumb being above of all things , a Mario game and a From Software game.

Either way , glad to see HiFi Rush getting some more recognition.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Well, remembering what was said here in resetera about both games... "Final Fantasy franchise is doomed, everybody will hate this game becoming an "action" game" and, "starfield will be one of the greatest bethesda's rpgs ever"

Era is a bubble in it's finest.
Definitely a bubble.....

There's way more FF fans out there than SF.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Well, remembering what was said here in resetera about both games... "Final Fantasy franchise is doomed, everybody will hate this game becoming an "action" game" and, "starfield will be one of the greatest bethesda's rpgs ever"

Era is a bubble in it's finest.

That's one way to look at it. Another way is that they're both on the list. Another another way to look at it is that FF16 is behind fucking Hi-Fi Rush and Lies of P.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Of course it's a surprise, Starfield is on gamepass and available on 2 platforms, meanwhile FF16 is just limited to PS5.
It's a far cry from how well received previous BGS big rpg efforts were.

The "two platforms" includes one that is like a fifth of the PS5 so that means nothing

pretty much this

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
Lol, except you know, for that little thing called gamepass?

do you really think Lies of P or Hi Fi rush would have anywhere near the exposure without GP?

Are we doing the dumb thing of "every gamepass user plays (or should) every gamepass game" again
The xbox userbase is tiny compared to the ps5 and final fantasy is a traditional strong brand. sorry if you want it to be shocking that one is more popular than the other, but its not

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
Live service games seem like a big waste of time, where the top 10 you get everything at once and no filler.

Jade1962

Oct 28, 2017
The Game Awards "Player's Voice" category went live yesterday and a few ten thousand votes have already been counted.

It's still early in the race and a lot can still change but so far i find it fascinating how "alike" the fans are voting in comparison to the 120+ voting websites/magazines/critics/etc. who ultimately decide which game wins at the end. If Mario would change place with Cyberpunk the top 6 games are 1:1 with the Game of the Year nominees.

"Interesting" so far:

- the Top 13 games are almost all full priced titles (1 Full Price add-on and 1 smaller title)
- the last 7 titles are some of the biggest f2p/mp titles around
- Starfield (so far) trails quite a bit behind the leading pack of titles
- High-Fi Rush deserves way more time in the spotlight
- Baldur's Gate 3 is over 10.000 votes ahead

LIVE COUNT

Unbenannt.jpg

Also funny to see that, despite certain twitter superfans and youtube hatemongers decrying something different, not enough fan-voters seem to care about certain titles and a game being inclusive isn't a negative thing for the majority.

I'm out of the loop. What game got hate for being inclusive?

Glad to see FF16 up there. Outside of Minecraft it's the only game on the list I played this year.

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
I'm out of the loop. What game got hate for being inclusive?

Glad to see FF16 up there. Outside of Minecraft it's the only game on the list I played this year.
Spiderman 2 i guess? i havent seen it because i dont walk around those circles but people probably complained about saga in AWII i'm betting

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
well the list doesn't really allow for other games to be represented so it would most probably come to this anyway