SunBroDave

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Baller's Gate on top, where it should be. And Phantom Liberty nipping at Zelda's heels, you love to see it

doops.

Jun 3, 2020
Andromeda sure had that expectation and hype. But Andromeda is also not a bad game at all so i dont get it being used as an example

I like Andromeda too, but come on, it's pretty objectively not near the quality of the previous trilogy, at least as far as narrative and world-building are concerned, and besides, it was buggy as all get-out on release.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
I like Andromeda too, but come on, it's pretty objectively not near the quality of the previous trilogy, at least as narrative and world-building are concerned, and besides, it was buggy as all get-out on release.

...i just said its not a bad game

i dont rate 2 and 3 nearly that high to begin with so maybe that helped me liking it more.

LV-0504

Oct 6, 2022
Andromeda sure had that expectation and hype. But Andromeda is also not a bad game at all so i dont get it being used as an example
Did it though? Don't get me wrong it was a high-profile game but I got the impression that the writing was on the wall with what that game was a long time before release. The big ME3 scandal felt like it lowered expectations to me as well.

Either way I don't think the expectation was on the same scale at SF.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Did it though? Don't get me wrong it was a high-profile game but I got the impression that the writing was on the wall with what that game was a long time before release. The big ME3 scandal felt like it lowered expectations to me as well.

Either way I don't think the expectation was on the same scale at SF.

It did.
Starfield had similar "writing on the wall" when release approached (and people started hearing about empty planets and no space travel etcetera) but just like andromeda many were still full of hope and hype for it

Remember that Andromeda was a big multiplatform release unlike Starfield so a lot more loud people in lot more places were expecting it anxiously too

LV-0504

Oct 6, 2022
It did.
Starfield had similar "writing on the wall" when release approached (and people started hearing about empty planets and no space travel etcetera) but just like andromeda many were still full of hope and hype for it

Remember that Andromeda was a big multiplatform release unlike Starfield so a lot more loud people in lot more places were expecting it anxiously too
I suppose you can't really quantify hype and expectation. To me one was the 4th entry in a story that had already been completed which I was going to play but maybe not day 1. The other was the next big Bethesda RPG that I was going to get lost in for months, that I was playing day 1, expected to be my GotY, bought a Series X for and took a day off work at launch.

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
" Baldur's Gate 3 is over 10.000 votes ahead"

this is what surprised me the most. not that bg3 is ahead, but the number of people who are willing to create an account for this.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
" Baldur's Gate 3 is over 10.000 votes ahead"

this is what surprised me the most. not that bg3 is ahead, but the number of people who are willing to create an account for this.
You can also link to existing X, Google, Facebook accounts and vote. Doesnt take that long.

That said, BG3 is just that game this year.

PapaJustify

Nov 3, 2017
Germany
I think with Baldur's Gate 3 it's a self-fullfilling prophecy. I myself would even vote for it even though I didn't play much of it. I think it's just the hype around this game that sways many to vote for it blindly (even though it is a great game of course).

For me personally, Alan Wake 2 has taken the crown for Game of the Year just recently.

Noisepurge

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
It's a bit of a shame. I get that many people only play AAA, so they can't vote for smaller games because the vast majority didn't play them. But critics should have a broader horizon and give all those smaller masterpieces some spotlight but in the end they also care much more for the big iterative sequels. I think that's the big difference between the movie and gaming scene. At least with the Oscars and other film awards I always get to know some interesting originals that weren't on my radar. The TGA (and BAFTA/Dice awards) it's more of a bestseller list.

I highly recommend watching the GDC Indie Games Fest and Game Developers Choice Awards every year. Those recognize both raw technical prowess and innovation.

Here's last year's:

View: https://youtu.be/Gb0jgbgw6aM?si=CXqj7A-xlF3mfDZv

View: https://youtu.be/mBo178R8cUc?si=6JWo1TK9qqrjM35M

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
That top 3 is so good, like too good

Phantom Liberty was pure quality

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
The fight for 2nd/3rd place is gonna be fun to watch! It's clear BG3 has run away with it (for this round at least) but most other spots are fairly tight, a lot of changes could still happen.

Kidgamer

Banned
Sep 25, 2023
Genshin jumped from 19 place with 8k votes to 11 with 21k votes in a few hours lmfao. Yall underestimate the need for those gems.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
They need to cut off shit like Minecraft and NMS and Destiny and other live services. Like why are they in the players choice vote lol. Leave it to new releases…

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
On a sort of associated matter, each time I go back to TGAs website, my votes have reset and i have to revote.

how do i guarantee my votes stick?

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I voted Lies of P, Octopath 2 and Hifi

Doing my part as well but they have you pick 10 games! So yeah everyone is gonna put BG3 in their list along with their personal picks

Should have limited the votes more. I would have excluded BG3 just cuz I know its gonna sweep elsewhere

Brainfreeze

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
Honestly the biggest takeaway for me is that, if it were left up to fans, Mario wouldn't have been nominated for GOTY. It would have been interesting to see Phantom Liberty, Hi-Fi Rush, or Lies of P make the cut instead (even if none of them would effect what wins).

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
Hi-Fi rush getting 7th is fine to me.

If it's gonna get robbed out of the top 6, at least it's only robbed by one place.

JMS

Jul 22, 2022
Genshin Impact enters the top 10 kicking the the Wizard game down to #11

we won.. but at what cost

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
BALDUR'S GATE SWEEP

Though I'm playing Alan Wake right now and it absolutely deserves to win something and the only reason it won't is because people aren't playing it.

Spacejaws

"This guy are sick" of the One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Live count actually has Phantom Liberty overtaking TotK. That's a bit wild (I've got unfinished playthroughs in both 😆)

beebop

May 30, 2023
"Fans" is a bold generalisation, when it actually means the subset of gamers who are interested in voting for TGA.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
"Fans" is a bold generalisation, when it actually means the subset of gamers who are interested in voting for TGA.
I mean...if one didnt care to vote at all....they wouldnt be a fan. In a sense.

You have to be a fan of something to vote, even if its to not vote for a game. This post is interesting in relation to this:

Honestly the biggest takeaway for me is that, if it were left up to fans, Mario wouldn't have been nominated for GOTY. It would have been interesting to see Phantom Liberty, Hi-Fi Rush, or Lies of P make the cut instead (even if none of them would effect what wins).

That is something.

electroaffe

Oct 28, 2017
Berlin
I highly recommend watching the GDC Indie Games Fest and Game Developers Choice Awards every year. Those recognize both raw technical prowess and innovation.

Here's last year's:

View: https://youtu.be/Gb0jgbgw6aM?si=CXqj7A-xlF3mfDZv

View: https://youtu.be/mBo178R8cUc?si=6JWo1TK9qqrjM35M

This sounds amazing and I will go trough the videos asap. There's also an outlet spotlighting a lot of niche indie games in their goty awards but unfortunately I forgot the name. :I