• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Very cool, very good. Considering it's "celebrities" that cast doesn't really get my heart racing at all, but the format of the show is good enough anyway. I'll probably be watching it Monday mornings though, because my Sunday nights are pencilled in for live sport all the way through to January.

This series will be on a Wednesday night, i think series 3 was too?

Titantodd

May 3, 2023
Oh, perfect! I'll be right there to watch live then. I was convinced it was on Sundays. Turns out that was only when it was back on BBC Two, so the first 2 series.

Titantodd

May 3, 2023
Cos I think they're both brilliant people, a horrible dumb thought entered my head and I can't shake it out:

Their parents didn't name them Bill and Bon deliberately, did they?

Titantodd

May 3, 2023
Very cool. I think the BBC normally only announce a couple of weeks or so in advance anyway, but this has been a great turnaround time between S3, the celebrity one, and S4.

WaveBird

Oct 29, 2017
It says it's on discovery plus, which has been folded into Max hasn't it? Or it looks like it might be on prime, or use a VPN to watch on BBC Iplayer.

I think you may have to go the VPN route. I subscribed to Discovery Plus to continue watching but it seems to have been removed a few months ago and when I try on Prime it says unavailable in your country (US). I could try Max though. I did not check there.

Titantodd

May 3, 2023
This is another fun one to try and work out the actual route they're taking, like the celebrity series, because as the crow flies Japan to Indonesia is pretty direct. It's across the Philippine Sea then a short hop from the Philippines.

But I'm guessing they're going to have to go inland for something like this? So something like Japan, South Korea, China, Myanmar or Laos, Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia?

Last edited:

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Going from at least Sapporo so quite northerly in Japan all the way down seems like it'd be fun. They won't be likely to afford Shinkansen (and it doesn't go to Sapporo yet anyway)

Titantodd

May 3, 2023
They're gonna interact with far more countries and cultures, which is very cool.

I can already tell the young lads are gonna wind me up a little bit though. They seem EXACTLY like the sort of lads I interact with everyday at work, right down to being loaded enough to qualify as a pilot by age 20.

OP
OP
It’s Time To Go
Dec 2, 2017
It's 2023 (this was last year presumably) and British people are still doing Fawlty towers style charades to try and communicate with people in foreign countries.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
both mum and daughter teams are already my favourites. Both relatively humble, absorbing a bit of the local cuilture and getting stuck in.

If they're not editing the two boys to create a 'journey' of calm the fuck down of the racey one then they're going to get on my nerves very quickly

It does feel rushed though - there was a quick clip of Osaka but I don't remember any of them being shown heading that way. There are only 5 teams to track so it should be possible to give a clearer 'trail' of the movements. Assume they'll be out of Japan already next week

OP
OP
It’s Time To Go
Dec 2, 2017
I like all the teams, except for the welsh couple. I appreciate maybe they haven't traveled abroad much, but they acted quite silly.

Titantodd

May 3, 2023
...And no weird challenges/tasks/roadblocks as well. The race is the whole point. It's a bit closer to a travel documentary and less of a gameshow than the Amazing Race.

hamghost

Sep 1, 2019
So happy this show is back! I like all the pairs so far, I can see one of the two young guys getting a bit stressed/stroppy (a bit like Alex in the celebrity series) and honestly, it reminds me of how I sometimes get while travelling 😆

Titantodd

May 3, 2023
I had no idea that show had such things. How does that work

There are (I think they're called?) Detours and Roadblocks in The Amazing Race you have to stop at along the way, as well as the actual destination. When you get there, you get a choice of two tasks and can't move on until you complete it. Could be a physical challenge or something fear based or like a memory/intelligence game related to the place you're at. Roadblocks can only be done by one member of the team, and you normally don't know the exact nature of the task until you get there and pick the participant. Since they're really emphasising the race aspect, it's entirely possible to get held up by a challenge for ages, finish last then get eliminated.

I think I've got that right? It's definitely much more gameshow style because of it than Race Across the World. Like, exploring the place you're at or taking time out to work for more cash is nowhere near as important as just powering through it.

OP
OP
It’s Time To Go
Dec 2, 2017
There are (I think they're called?) Detours and Roadblocks in The Amazing Race you have to stop at along the way, as well as the actual destination. When you get there, you get a choice of two tasks and can't move on until you complete it. Could be a physical challenge or something fear based or like a memory/intelligence game related to the place you're at. Roadblocks can only be done by one member of the team, and you normally don't know the exact nature of the task until you get there and pick the participant. Since they're really emphasising the race aspect, it's entirely possible to get held up by a challenge for ages, finish last then get eliminated.

I think I've got that right? It's definitely much more gameshow style because of it than Race Across the World. Like, exploring the place you're at or taking time out to work for more cash is nowhere near as important as just powering through it.
That makes it sound a bit silly imo. Maybe it comes off better in the actual show.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Where do they go next? Thailand/vietnam? You'd think they'd go through china but maybe the BBC will skip if they might be worried about them getting arrested or something?

Titantodd

May 3, 2023
Where do they go next? Thailand/vietnam? You'd think they'd go through china but maybe the BBC will skip if they might be worried about them getting arrested or something?

Looks like it's Vietnam to Phnom Penh in Cambodia, skipping China entirely.

www.bbc.co.uk

BBC One - Race Across the World, Series 4, Episode 3

The teams enter south east Asia, starting the third leg from the Vietnamese capital Hanoi.

Shame that. Would have thought the big cities in China and Hong Kong itself would have been on the table.

Titantodd

May 3, 2023
Bit of a shame they're just charging through Vietnam on the trains and not exploring Northern Vietnam, too. Ha Long Bay has always looked like one of the most beautiful places on Earth to me.

Newlove

Oct 28, 2017
England
Just trying this show out...we are a bit confused as to why they stop sometimes to explore rather than race / keep moving as fast as possible. I know it would make more of a travel show to stop and admire views and experiences, but I just don't get then why it's called a race when they don't seem too fused about moving all the time? Is there some sort of rule that they have to stop at some times of the day?