• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MetalBoi

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
There's never been more gaming options than right now. There's online multiplayer games that get content annually, great indies, superb rpgs on the market regularly, solid handheld titles, VR, options for 4k content.

If we're perfectly honest here, there's either not enough time or not enough money to enjoy everything this generation.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
So 3 days have gone by and OP still has yet to counter any of the points people have brought up across over 300 responses, or even participate in this thread.

Wack. Was honestly curious to see what they had to say, since it seems almost everyone feels differently or wants them to explain themselves better, rather than the tonedeaf generalizations they made.

OP
OP
Segafreak

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
So 3 days have gone by and OP still has yet to counter any of the points people have brought up across over 300 responses, or even participate in this thread.

Wack. Was honestly curious to see what they had to say, since it seems almost everyone feels differently or wants them to explain themselves better, rather than the tonedeaf generalizations they made.
I usually don't participate because I already said what I have to say in the OP. I skimmed thru the thread even tho I didn't need to because I'm on top of gaming news and what's coming out and just as I expected, there's nothing uttered to change my mind about the variety in gaming. Take horror for example, there used to be so many different flavors outside of Resident Evil. Silent Hill, Fatal Frame, Alone in the Dark, Siren, Clock Tower, even horror rpg's and tons of many more obscure horror games. Sports games too, the range of games was crazy. There used to be so many different type of tennis games, and football games alone, from simulation and arcade to the spinoffs like Mario Smash Football and Fifa Street. I could go on and on but there's so much that's missing in so many genres that have died or on life support. Like, people complain about "arcade racing games" missing but it used to be such a broad genre with many different flavors ranging from Western to Japanese ones, not even beginning about futuristic racers, which was bigger than just WipEout and F-Zero. And no, Horizon Chase which I had on my iPad since its release is fun and looks cool, but it's no Outrun. Extreme sports games is another thing, nothing can replace SSX. I used to look forward to that indie game called Snow since 2014 when it was announced for PS4, but it's stuck in Early Access hell, is F2P apparently and a mtx infested game.

Most of the type of games I liked don't exist anymore, just because we got DQ11 doesn't mean JRPGs are back. JRPGs used to be so big you could fill an entire library with it, I'm not gonna celebrate DQ's return as the return of JRPGs. I was never really a DQ fan, even less fan of 100 hour games. Is there any game that can match the Suikoden series, or is trying to be the next Suikoden? Trails series don't even come close. Same with CSA, it doesn't even come close to being a Phantasy Star substitute. A huge reason of this sentiment I have is because of the downfall of Japan, the video game auteurs of the past don't make games anymore outside of Kojima, or some are just now trying to make a semi-comeback, or the days of discovering a unique obscure gem that's unlike anything out there are over. Of course there's more genre variety than the generalization I made in the OP but that's why I said it appears that way looking with a quick glance, certain genres dominate over others. Looking with the same view to the past I can't really make a generalization like that. There seemed to be an equal representation of more than a few genres.

There's no more AA, the sweet spot of past gen systems which the current gen can't replicate, that's why there's less of the variety I like. Also, even with all the brown shooters last gen, I still like the variety of PS360 more, especially in the early years. And yeah, because of the erosion of AA and games getting more expensive, and the fact most of the games/genres I talk about came from the big companies, it's no wonder there's less variety now. Bigger risk means less variety and more risk averse games. I do follow indie games and occasionally there comes one which I really like, like Fez, FTL, or Cuphead. I was following Miegakure since it's announcement in 2014 but once again, it's also still mia. But really, these are not games that will replace what I'm missing.

Go watch these videos to get a feel of what I'm saying

even a failed console like the Saturn had some pretty good variety

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wy_fPm2xLH8

It's a shame you can only embed 2 videos because there's so many more I can post.

I hope you can understand that with the type of games I like, sidescrollers and metroidvanias etc so to say, don't do it for me and I don't understand people who keep saying "da indies" when I want those type of games back. There's variety there, just less than I'd like and so far not the ones I'm looking for.

tenderbrew

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So... is there less variety or just less games that you like? There might not be 12 soccer games anymore, but there are swaths of genres being better represented than ever.