• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Alright, finished my watch through of the series and started season 7. This is a damn good show. Before doing my rewatch, I recalled season 1 being really poorly drawn and the voices being goofy, but that's really just the pilot episode. They slide into the rhythm immediately. The callbacks are a lot fresher doing a binge too, so some of the off hand one liners are great and resonate a lot better.

Top episodes (in no order):
Ghosts of the Sargasso
Escape to the House of Mummies Part II
The Doctor is Sin
Now Museum, Now You Don't
Everybody Comes to Hank's
What Color is Your Cleansuit

Oh man, I really hope Jonas is alive. I think it'd be a great dynamic to have him back and see Rusty just completely freak out. I feel like we'll see more of team Venture this season. Can't wait!

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
Jonas Venture & Dr. Dugong being alive would be one of those twists that would upset me in a lesser show, but they have me convinced that these plot lines were at least considered for awhile now. I'm excited to see where the twist at the end of the episode goes! As for that Monarch dream sequence...

... The Monarch is absolutely a 6th Venture Brother, isn't he? Like, they were selling the show on Rusty & JJ going into Season 2, but the Monarch is the only non-Venture to have episodes dedicated primarily to him, & Dr. Z points out that the Blue Morpho had a vagina that time they slept together, despite another episode stating he has a penis. Maybe Blue Morpho's actually the Monarch's mother, somehow?

Also on rewatching Venture Bros... Yikes. A lot of problematic language in the first 3-4 seasons. It's good to see some slurs no longer being considered acceptable these days.

OP
OP
metsallica

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Alright, finished my watch through of the series and started season 7. This is a damn good show. Before doing my rewatch, I recalled season 1 being really poorly drawn and the voices being goofy, but that's really just the pilot episode. They slide into the rhythm immediately. The callbacks are a lot fresher doing a binge too, so some of the off hand one liners are great and resonate a lot better.

Top episodes (in no order):
Ghosts of the Sargasso
Escape to the House of Mummies Part II
The Doctor is Sin
Now Museum, Now You Don't
Everybody Comes to Hank's
What Color is Your Cleansuit

Oh man, I really hope Jonas is alive. I think it'd be a great dynamic to have him back and see Rusty just completely freak out. I feel like we'll see more of team Venture this season. Can't wait!
The pilot is a more than a year older than episode 1 proper so it makes sense!

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I remember watching the pilot and being like,"Well that was weird" though this was well before the actual show... shit I think I was still in high school when I saw the pilot.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
I remember watching the pilot and being like,"Well that was weird" though this was well before the actual show... shit I think I was still in high school when I saw the pilot.
Ha, same here... Though I was in my last semester of college. I remember actually watching it on my small 13" TV in my bedroom while on my computer and being like, "Huh, this is a weird show... Is it supposed to be a comedy or action show?" Figured it'd just come and go like a lot of weird Adult Swim shows, but then a year later it comes back with a season and I was hooked.

OP
OP
metsallica

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Would be really interesting to see Otaku Senzuri again in an actual speaking role...

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah I want to see them go back to Col. Venture and see more of Tesla, Oscar Wilde and the rest.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
He's an awful caricature who they'd never touch with a ten-foot pole, but if any show could turn that around it's this one. Not worth the attempt. He has been in a couple episodes since the pilot, though!

Huh. I should never doubt this show's ability to bring back old characters, but I've missed him each time, then!

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I've never played Mad Libs before
I think I should learn it.

Also Clancy Brown is...I have no words to describe that excellent delivery of the
Gargantua 1 thing
Perfection.

The final scene was really...nice. Very heartwarming and charming.

Another solid episode and one that really made my day.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Clancy Brown is great in everything he's in. I don't think I've heard or seen a performance of his that disappointed me. He was great as Lex Luthor on the original DCAU.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That scene needs to be put up on YT man...

Wait whaaaa what story is that again?

https://www.thewrap.com/the-venture-bros-movie-night-phantom-spaceman/

The first season of "The Venture Bros." contained a lot of what felt like throwaway jokes, like the legendary story of "Movie Night," a frightening tale of murder on the space station Gargantua-1, and the "Phantom Spaceman" responsible. But six seasons later — as happens often on "The Venture Bros." — series creators Jackson Publick and Doc Hammer have brought back that seemingly throwaway joke and turned it into a deeper piece of lore.

Back in Season 1, the tale of Movie Night seemed like a dumb ghost story to get the show's titular Venture brothers, Hank (Jackson Public) and Dean (Michael Sinterniklaas), to solve a made-up mystery in the vein of the characters they were parodying. Built by the brothers' grandfather, Dr. Jonas Venture Sr. when Hank and Dean's father, Rusty (James Urbaniak) was a kid, Gargantua-1 was basically an orbital city with a huge crew. But by the events of season 1, the station had only two astronauts running it, and one, Bud Manstrong (Terrence Fleming), tells the boys the ghost story.

Manstrong says that he was a paper boy on the station years earlier, and that a janitor on the station snapped. He invited everyone he could into the cargo hold for "Movie Night," playing the Burt Reynolds movie "Sharky's Machine." While everyone was watching the film, the janitor opened the cargo bay doors to space. Most of the crew was killed, he says, and the phantom spirit of the janitor still roams the halls of Gargantua-1.

OP
OP
metsallica

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
ARREARS IN SCIENCE, the third and final episode of the MORPHIC TRILOGY, premieres ONLINE today at 5PM EASTERN!
http://www.adultswim.com/videos/the-venture-bros
CCmDOTO.png

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
yes I'm so glad! my friend loves VB and we've been watching the season together thus far, and he's moving tomorrow. Super happy we'll be able to finish this trilogy before he goes :) thank you adult swim!

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
edit: yeah I'm gonna save all reactions here for after the episode. Two minutes in and it's already delivering in spades.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
Super runaway! This is an amazing surprise to come home to.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
I'm hating these early premieres because I'd rather have a consistent quality. Still, I'm stoked for this next episode!

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
Oh no! It dies like 5 mins in...

...damn it's riveting stuff up until that point. What a tease lol.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its Adult Swim fucking with people. Giving them a taste. And yeah even a few minutes into that episode and shit is already crazy.

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just watched the entire episode...OH. MY. GOD.

Jonas is a huge douche, and SO. MUCH. TO. UNPACK. Brock at a loss for words because of the Pyramid Wars being caused by the movie night massacre and Sovereign pinning the blame on S.P.H.I.N.X. Monarch finding out his dad was still around only to lose last minute and claiming the kill, jesus, this was nuts!

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
So a few things

-Jonas is the Monarch's biological dad
-Jonas blackmailed Blue Morpho with that sex tape
-Joans is just a massive asshole
-Movie night /might/ have been done by Vendata
-SPHINX wars were due to the sovereign taking the form of the SPHINX leader to the OSI
-Malcom!

Last edited:

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So a few things

-Jonas is the Monarch's biological dad
-Jonas blackmailed Blue Morpho with that sex tape
-Joans is just a massive asshole
-Movie night was done by Vendata
-SPHINX wars were due to the sovereign taking the form of the SPHINX leader to the OSI
-Malcom!

Was it Blue Morpho/Vendata that really opened the bay doors, it seems like they left that bit hanging for another mystery. I could be reading it wrong though. Also, Jonas being only a head because they tripped on one of Rusty's plastic cowboys while carrying his frozen corpse...also that Bud Manstrong cameo.

Also, I know the Action Man survived and is in a coma, but did Orpheus' prediction from the Past Tense finally come true?

Lionel Mandrake

Prophetic Lionel Mandrake
Oct 26, 2017
Finally got it to work.

A pretty amazing episode. Jonas really is the worst.

There's still a lot that needs to be resolved though. Vendata almost definitely didn't open the doors on movie night. Hopefully they can tie up some loose ends by the finale.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All I gotta say is Jonas is such a fucking piece of shit like god damn what a fucking piece of shit!