2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
I think there is a reasonable one - if a patch is unlocking a framerate to allow game boost to hit closer to 60fps, or increases the dynamic resolution target (or hopefully for TLOU2 increases from 1440p), then although it is 'new' development, its more like something that could have been in the original game but they chose at the time to have a locked framerate etc. Also they're still PS4 games - you just probably won't see those unlocked framerate options if you actually run it on a PS4.

Whereas with Gears/FH4 they're bringing in higher res assets from the PC version and doing more significant work.

Ah, yeah. Fair enough. Don't even know why I care, watching too much election coverage is rotting my brain.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Just seems a weird way of doing it.

Not including games that have been patched to take advantage of PS5 hardware but including King Oddball.

So not counting the PS5 patched games because technically it's still the PS4 SKU.
I agree in the sense that they should not be counted as Series X games. Demon's Souls for example is a game designed for the PS5. However you are being disengenuous to think Sony's efforts for games like Days Gone to run on PS5 is the same as Gears 5 and what Microsoft is doing with that title on Series X.

This is one of the many issues of discussing matters like these, people tend to go in their own direction based on their own interest and will naturally defend and argue that side.

What? Arguably more work has gone into Gears than Spiderman and it's free?

Disagree, which is why Sony is able to charge for it.

Poldino

Oct 27, 2020
User Banned (3 days): Console wars, account in junior phase
There's only one next-gen launch line-up at the moment, seems pretty clear to me

Moz La Punk

Journalist at Gamer.nl & Power Unlimited
Verified
May 15, 2018
The Netherlands
Just to double check: both gears 5 and forza horizon 4 have chunky next gen updates? Never played them so might get them go get more out of the console on launch.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
Why do they count games like "Forza Horizon 4" and "Gears 5" for Xbox, but not "Days Gone" and "Ghost of Tsushima" for PS5?
Don't understand why people are excited and/or hurt that these games are debated or part of the launch lineup. They're previous gen games.

"Border line remaster" and "Just a boost mode patch" are the same argument imo.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
I think there is a reasonable one - if a patch is unlocking a framerate to allow game boost to hit closer to 60fps, or increases the dynamic resolution target (or hopefully for TLOU2 increases from 1440p), then although it is 'new' development, its more like something that could have been in the original game but they chose at the time to have a locked framerate etc. Also they're still PS4 games - you just probably won't see those unlocked framerate options if you actually run it on a PS4.

Whereas with Gears/FH4 they're bringing in higher res assets from the PC version and doing more significant work.

Do we know if it is more significant work or they are just putting in high-rez assets into the game?

Ghost is still adding new content to the new game that came out this year. Just feels like a reach...

Plum

May 31, 2018
Why do they count games like "Forza Horizon 4" and "Gears 5" for Xbox, but not "Days Gone" and "Ghost of Tsushima" for PS5?

They're not the same. The latter two are Backwards Compatible Games with Patches and the first two are Native Next-Gen Ports/Remasters.

GoT, Days Gone and, for an Xbox example, Fallout 4 are the former because they're the last-gen versions of those games but running with relatively minor extra features patched in. They are not seperate versions of those games.

Forza Horizon 4 and Gears 5 are the latter because they are native ports of those games to the Xbox Series X. They're equivalent to Spider-Man Remastered on the PS5 side.

Do we know if it is more significant work or they are just putting in high-rez assets into the game?

Ghost is still adding new content to the new game that came out this year. Just feels like a reach...

Ghost of Tshushima isn't having a substantial PS5 port in the way Gears 5 and Forza Horizon 4 are. Watch the Digital Foundry video for Gears 5, for instance, and you'll see how they've upgraded the game beyond the original version's maximum PC settings; they even spruced up most of the textures to add better depth to them. Meanwhile Ghost of Tshushima is getting a small patch that allows the backwards compatible version of the game to run at 60fps (and maybe at 4K as well) on the PS5.

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada
Of all the games listed, how many of them are exclusive to next gen consoles? Just the ones that say PS5 only?

edit: nope, some of the ps5 only ones are available on ps4 too.
edit2: I have to look at the "other platforms" column for the info I am looking for.
edit3: decided to take out remasters (i.e., spider-man).
the list I am looking for seems to be:

1. Astro's Playroom (ps5 exclusive);
  2. Devil May Cry 5: Special Edition (exclusive to PS 5 and XSX/S); and
  3. NBA 2K1 (a next gen version exclusive to PS 5 and XSX/S).
If we include remakes, then we include:

• Demon's Souls (PS 5 exclusive)

Everything else is either available on PC or another console platform from what I can tell.

Last edited:

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ghost of Tshushima isn't having a substantial PS5 port in the way Gears 5 and Forza Horizon 4 are. Watch the Digital Foundry video for Gears 5, for instance, and you'll see how they've upgraded the game beyond the original version's maximum PC settings; they even spruced up most of the textures to add better depth to them. Meanwhile Ghost of Tshushima is getting a small patch that allows the backwards compatible version of the game to run at 60fps (and maybe at 4K as well) on the PS5.
Disqualifying games like Tsushima and Days Gone on such "technicality" is bullcrap and you know it.

And what are you going to say when DF releases a video salivating over how incredible GoT looks and feels on PS5, how fast it loads, etc.? Same with Days Gone...

Plum

May 31, 2018
Disqualifying games like Tsushima and Days Gone on such "technicality" is bullcrap and you know it.

And what are you going to say when DF releases a video salivating over how incredible GoT looks and feels on PS5, how fast it loads, etc.? Same with Days Gone...

I'll still say it doesn't count as a new release for the console since it's just a resolution/framerate patch. I wouldn't count Fallout 4 since it's the same situation there, and the same goes for Sea of Thieves which I don't think should be counted either.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
People saying GoT and DG cannot be counted since they are just patches for resolution and/or framerate, than why is Sea of Thieves in the list?

Yeap, as far as I know, no other upgrades have been announced (the last update for which was just yesterday) for SoT besides resolution and frame rate, the same as certain PS4 games, so even outside of the wonky semantic differences, there's still a contradiction in the list. Verge going to Verge I guess.

pappacone

Jan 10, 2020
I'll still say it doesn't count as a new release for the console since it's just a resolution/framerate patch. I wouldn't count Fallout 4 since it's the same situation there, and the same goes for Sea of Thieves which I don't think should be counted either.
but they counted it, I really wonder why The Verge did it

the truth is that no upgrade should count as a new game, it does not make any sense

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada
Oct 25, 2017
So I assume the verge will now be listed as pro Xbox and anti playstation moving forward here right? I can't believe y'all been arguing about this for two pages get a grip. It's two consoles and some games

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Of all the games listed, how many of them are exclusive to next gen consoles? Just the ones that say PS5 only?

edit: nope, some of the ps5 only ones are available on ps4 too.
edit2: I have to look at the "other platforms" column for the info I am looking for.
edit3: decided to take out remasters (i.e., spider-man).
the list I am looking for seems to be:

1. Astro's Playroom (ps5 exclusive); and
  2. Devil May Cry 5: Special Edition (exclusive to PS 5 and XSX/S)
If we include remakes, then we include:

• Demon's Souls (PS 5 exclusive)

Everything else is either available on PC or another console platform from what I can tell.
Wonder why so many omit NBA 2K21?

the pc is getting about 97% of all those games nice...
For reals. Been saying it repeatedly but PC is coming out on top of this upcoming gen for game support from consoles more than ever before. Good times ahead for PC.

Remove the typical console wars and this is the reality.

Windrunner

Sly
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Including Sea of Thieves, Ori etc as launch games is laughable. Absolutely ridiculous spin just to plump up the Xbox launch lineup.

I expect Microsoft to do that (and would not begrudge them doing so in the name of marketing), but not an independent outlet.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
Seems like a weird distinction. Basically the logic is that because Microsoft Studios also target PC, they are inherently upgraded for Xbox Series X. Every game in the PS Plus collection is also getting an update.

Who cares though? It seems pretty arbitrary.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Omit it from what? It is available on consoles other than next gen consoles and its available on PC.
Why would you not count a next gen game coming to next gen consoles just because it's on PC? They have clearly made 2 different versions, which explains why one costs more.

This topic is all over the place, how much effort put into last gen ports, no cross-gen games to be included, no PC games to be included, remakes questioned. Is this all to dampen next gen?

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, I had no idea that almost everything is coming out on PC.

I thought there were more PS5 only games... pretty crazy!

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada
Why would you not count a next gen game coming to next gen consoles just because it's on PC? They have clearly made 2 different versions, which explains why one costs more.

This topic is all over the place, how much effort put into last gen ports, no cross-gen games to be included, no PC games to be included, remakes questioned. Is this all to dampen next gen?

No, I am literally trying to understand what games are only available on a next gen console.
My understanding is that nba 2k1 is on the old consoles too, right (edit and pc)?

I have pre-ordered a PS 5 because I want to play demon's souls on it. But I'm surprised at the lack of genuine exclusives coming out so far. This is me figuring out how launch will look.

RoastBeeph

Oct 29, 2017
Including certain games like gears and not Tsushima for example is a bit misleading imo. They may go a like further than standard enhanced BC, but they are no Spiderman Remaster either.
If what Tsushima is getting on PS5 would qualify it for this list, there would be hundreds of additional Xbox titles that would also need to be added that aren't on this list, titles that will run at much better frame rates and resolution simply from Series X | S BC enhancements. MS has spent substantial time on the Series X | S enhancements to Forza Horizon 4, Gears 5, etc. that Sony simply hasn't on Tsushima PS5. That is mostly just a BC bump.

pappacone

Jan 10, 2020
now that I think about it Valhalla hasn't announced any graphical improvement except resolution and framerate, has it?
If that's the case it should be erased from the list too!

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Considering this list also includes last gen games with next gen updates like Borderlands 3, Manester and Fortnite, I don't know why there's so much energy for semantics when it comes to Gears and Sea of Thieves?

It just seems like a list of games that have next gen enhanced versions?

Last edited:

pappacone

Jan 10, 2020
If what Tsushima is getting on PS5 would qualify it for this list, there would be hundreds of additional Xbox titles that would also need to be added that aren't on this list, titles that will run at much better frame rates and resolution simply from Series X | S BC enhancements. MS has spent substantial time on the Series X | S enhancements to Forza Horizon 4, Gears 5, etc. that Sony simply hasn't on Tsushima PS5. That is mostly just a BC bump.
you mean like Sea of Thieves and Ori, that are on the list?

Leonine

Sep 19, 2020
When the Xbox Series X launches on November 10th, it will have 30 fully optimized titles that will technically qualify as launch games. The PS5 will launch two days later on November 12th, and it will have 20 games. (This includes only fully optimized games and not what's simply supported via backwards compatibility. The list also excludes games like Sony's Ghost of Tsushima that may receive benefits from next-gen hardware but are still not fully optimized.)

The Verge going at length to plump up the Xbox launch lineup numbers. 😂
The distinction they draw doesn't even apply to both systems, like WTF?

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
No, I am literally trying to understand what games are only available on a next gen console.
My understanding is that nba 2k1 is on the old consoles too, right (edit and pc)?
Well Take 2 considers 2k21 on Series X and Xbox One as two different games and they can't play against each other. I found this out when trying to figure out which version I needed to buy my son.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019

I have pre-ordered a PS 5 because I want to play demon's souls on it. But I'm surprised at the lack of genuine exclusives coming out so far. This is me figuring out how launch will look.
Well then I guess it's safe to say you scrapped Xbox Series X long ago prior to launch since it is well known all of their games will be coming to PC. I am not surpised at all by the lack of any true exclusives, the PS4 simply has too many customers to ignore and it's far easier to do cross-gen then it was with the PS3/PS4.

Considering this list also includes last gen games with next gen updates like Borderlands 3, Manester and Fortnite, I don't know why there's so much energy for semantics when it comes to Gears.

It just seems like a list of games that have next gen versions?
True, they are trying to hide how little Series X/S actually has as far as actual new games go.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Considering this list also includes last gen games with next gen updates like Borderlands 3, Manester and Fortnite, I don't know why there's so much energy for semantics when it comes to Gears.

It just seems like a list of games that have next gen versions?
Yeah thats it lol. Any game that got ported is listed, games that didnt arent. Games like Days Gone are wierd cause they got a patch intended for use on the PS5, but it didnt get an actual port and SKU technically.

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (2 weeks): Platform wars rhetoric & concern trolling; history of platform warring and recently banned for trolling
XSX seriously launching with no exclusives? Wow...

Is that a first for a 'new' console?

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada
Well then I guess it's safe to say you scrapped Xbox Series X long ago prior to launch since it is well known all of their games will be coming to PC.

It will come down to backwards compatibility. I have a few x360 and og xbox games (mainly old sports titles and the burnout series or games that are on pc but have no controller support). I guess I could try to "upgrade" them by emulating them on my pc. But I am really interested to see what happens with them on the XSX/S.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Well, after watching the DF video, i disagree. I think there's more work on Gears than Days Gone (at least for what we know so far), but it is just better than usual enhanced bc, but not a new game. I would include Spiderman remastered either honestly.

Navid

Oct 26, 2017
Will be getting Demon's Souls at launch alongside having Bugsnax via PS+... I'll also move my current online titles (Smite/Warframe/Warzone/Genshin) over to the PS5 and I have saved the Ghost of Tsushima Legends DLC to start it on PS5.

Other PS5 games I'll look at near launch are Miles Morales and Pathless, might keep an eye on reviews for Godfall as well in case it turns out to be more than meets the eye. Overall very happy with the launch line-up.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
Including Sea of Thieves, Ori etc as launch games is laughable. Absolutely ridiculous spin just to plump up the Xbox launch lineup.

I expect Microsoft to do that (and would not begrudge them doing so in the name of marketing), but not an independent outlet.
The Verge are excellent for general tech coverage but when ti comes to their gaming stuff they do love their Xbox.