• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Razgreez

Banned
Apr 13, 2018
Thanks, but flexible plastic covers have also been widely used in electronics, namely in devices with capacitive touchscreens. And dents sometimes happened and that, while annoying, wasn't a huge deal, as the devices stayed functional. The problem here is how it seems to affect the remaining layers in the display structure. Again, there is no reason to believe Huawei isn't actually testing its product and making sure it endures daily usage, instead of rushing it to market like Samsung apparently did.

You appear to be making certain assumptions and the treating them as fact.

First you state flexible plastic covers have been used in "capacitative" screens. There's a world of difference between a plastic resistive screen which has some give and one which bends entirely. Second, you presume the Mate X screen is more durable when we have no evidence to confirm nor deny it. Neither the general public nor selected journalists have been allowed to touch it. Third, you presume the dents on the fold affected the structure - this is both plausible and understandable due to the soft nature of flexible plastics. One cannot foresee a solution to this beyond flexible glass. Fourth, you assert the fold has been "rushed to market" when the device has been in development for well over half a decade. Does putting a limited production device on the market at an exhorbitant price count as rushing?

The fold is not a mass market device. It's an exclusive, limited production device purely for those who can/choose to afford it and are willing to accept the potential risks associated. It's more of a Muira than a Corolla. I'd never buy it but that doesn't mean I'm not interested in it from a technological standpoint

toohectic

Oct 27, 2017
Was it? The Essential phone was shown 4 months before the iPhone x was even announced on September 17, 2017. The Essential phone was shown and announced in May of 2017 and released in August 2017, before we ever laid eyes on the X.

LG technically had the first notch phone in 2015 using a second screen on top to display icons and the camera.

Anywho, it's pretty much possible for apple to be first to market anymore. With the Chinese manufacturers catching up l, they will always be first to market on pretty much every tech, especially with the sheer volume of phone models and iterations they pump out. Apple will focus on refinement vs innovation

On mobile now, so can't do an exhaustive search. But in my quick search, here is a image of the mechanical model of the X showing the notch from April '17, and there were further rumors beforehand without images. Keep in mind that the phone was referred to as iPhone 8 at that time before the iPhone X name was revealed. They would have established the notch well before this April timeframe.

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/04/26/iphone-8-schematic-wireless-charging/

Shiny Pokemon Hunter

Alt-account
Banned
Mar 5, 2019
I don't see why there's a need to bring up Apple, they've never had any blunders like this nor would they likely have one. They tend to play it safe.

For Samsung, this won't be as disastrous as the Note 7. It's still a significant set back but another learning point nonetheless.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't see why there's a need to bring up Apple, they've never had any blunders like this nor would they likely have one. They tend to play it safe.

For Samsung, this won't be as disastrous as the Note 7. It's still a significant set back but another learning point nonetheless.

True, even with bendgate your phone is still usable. What's happening here is rendering your Galaxy Fold unusable. The magnitude and severity are different.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I think the dream of a phone that folds out into a single seamless tablet screen is far too ambitious for the material we currently have in our possession to work with. I imagine that the MateX will have similar issues with long-term use.

I'm sure we'll get there, but some phone makers are in a huge hurry to try and push things along because of smartphone market stagnation, to the detriment of public trust in the tech.

Resilient

Oct 25, 2017
wow, between this and explosion phone, Samsung are having a massive mare right now. How does this get past the prototype phase??

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
As far as how much this hurts Samsung, I doubt it hurts them too much short term. The big concern will, I expect, be that this sours everyone on the whole segment, and this v1.0 (and I'm being very kind to call it that) precludes there ever being a 2.0 or what have you.

This was a $2000 phone that were always only going to make and sell in very limited numbers. Obviously the hope was it would lead to cheaper and better follow ups and a new market segment. It's hard to say how much the underperformance of the s9 was down to the previous battery issues, personally I don't think it was the main thing that caused it but I expect it was a real factor. The S10 series seems to be doing well again, so they can almost certainly bounce back.

But yeah, folding phones... I'm not so sure they're going to be the desirable tech that the manufacturers were hoping.

I was hoping for a regular sized phone that folded in half to make it more portable (like a GBA SP). I'm less optimistic about such a concept now to tell the truth.

Razgreez

Banned
Apr 13, 2018
I was hoping for a regular sized phone that folded in half to make it more portable (like a GBA SP). I'm less optimistic about such a concept now to tell the truth.

Even if Samsung or Apple choose not cater to the smaller form factor foldable (foldable phones will likely remain quite bulky until the technology matures significantly) another company might. Where there is a significant demand, suppliers will eventually present themselves.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ok guys, its official
https://www.channelnewsasia.com/new...alaxy-fold-media-events-in-singapore-11466462

SEOUL: Smartphone maker Samsung Electronics Co Ltd has postponed media events for its Galaxy Fold planned for this week in Singapore, Hong Kong and Shanghai, a company official said, days after reviewers of the foldable handset reported defective samples.

The Singapore event scheduled for Wednesday (Apr 24) has been delayed with no new date given.

"In light of the recent feedback on a limited number of Galaxy Fold media review units, Samsung is taking the time to ensure that the Galaxy Fold units are in optimum shape for your experience at the event," said a spokesperson in an email on Saturday.

Instead of plaudits ahead of the phone's launch on Apr 26 in the United States, the South Korean conglomerate has been blighted by technology journalists reporting breaks, bulges and blinking screens after using their samples for as little as a day.

The Samsung official on Monday said the firm was thoroughly investigating the damage reports as previously announced, and declined to comment on whether there would be any change to the US release date.

THRILLHO

Nov 6, 2017
My only issue is that everyone is calling them foldable phones when they are clearly foldable tablets.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
001.jpg

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
WSJ just reported the launch is delayed until at least next month.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/samsungs-galaxy-fold-smartphone-release-delayed-11555941705?mod=e2tw

Edit: just changed my post to say it's delayed until at least next month, not that it's necessarily delayed at least a month.
Yeesh.

I see the WSJ's reviewer also tried to remove that layer of the screen. I can't fathom why Samsung release the phone with a screen layer that looks like a screen protector. Was it a last minute addition? Someday I hope we get a really good behind the scenes look at this whole mess.

UnNamed

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do the WSJ article say if they delay the phone worldwide? From what I read, it's still planned to released in 26 April in US and May in Europe.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Imo, Samsung took a hit but dodged a bullet with the delay - if the screen protector thing is the issue they have time to fix it. The phone looks fun, they need to get it right.

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
Lol where are the Samsung defense warriors now...
What a mess of a product. Let's see if foldable phones ever even become a common thing.
I think they will, but it's going to be a loooooong time before they're perfect. I envision a future where you have displays that can fold down to the size of a smart watch or something and mount them on your wrist, then can come out as big as a tablet. That's several years away if not a couple decades.

Feb 1, 2018

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Imo, Samsung took a hit but dodged a bullet with the delay - if the screen protector thing is the issue they have time to fix it. The phone looks fun, they need to get it right.
They're not dodging the bullet, they're just running away from it real fast. It's still gonna hit. There's not much they can do in a month aside from printing warning labels. There's no way they don't already have palettes of these things sitting in warehouses waiting to ship.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I think they will, but it's going to be a loooooong time before they're perfect. I envision a future where you have displays that can fold down to the size of a smart watch or something and mount them on your wrist, then can come out as big as a tablet. That's several years away if not a couple decades.
There is no material out there that can be folded and unfolded with no creases and with no wear, and be completely transparent and also scratch resistant. There are many, many hypothetical uses for such a material beyond screens, yet I only hear about it in the context of foldable phones. The fact no other field talks about such a material makes me think it's all wishful thinking.

Oct 2, 2018

I can't imagine it being cheap to fix. It's not just a 1 month delay. Imagine all the stock they have ready to go that all has to be recalled to fix the issue... if they can.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Wow. As I said in that other thread, Samsung is smart to delay it & not cause another big fiasco/scandal like what happened with the Galaxy Note 7.

It was obvious that the technology for it wasn't ready yet.

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I guess Samsung got burned by the by PR of the last few years worse than we realized.

Smart move but a little late to do more than print warning labels, like another poster said.

gigaslash

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Yung Coconut

Oct 31, 2017
There is no material out there that can be folded and unfolded with no creases and with no wear, and be completely transparent and also scratch resistant. There are many, many hypothetical uses for such a material beyond screens, yet I only hear about it in the context of foldable phones. The fact no other field talks about such a material makes me think it's all wishful thinking.

The LG foldable OLED looks pretty sweet. Right now this tech makes more sense for something like that. Not for phones/tablets that are constantly being held and manipulated. But LG isn't exactly trying to rush that thing out to the market either like Samsung here.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
Corning is currently full steam ahead on foldable glass development for phones, if anyone is gonna make that happen it will probably be them.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
Watching some of the reviews on this... and it has a notch when you fold it?

I don't have an issue with notches but seems strange considering they made such a big deal about it during their Galaxy marketing lol...

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
The LG foldable OLED looks pretty sweet. Right now this tech makes more sense for something like that. Not for phones/tablets that are constantly being held and manipulated. But LG isn't exactly trying to rush that thing out to the market either like Samsung here.
Yeah, but that doesn't really fold, it rolls down, with a larger radius and tons of anchor points, that's a much better solution that actually has a huge use, imo.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017

I don't have an issue with notches but seems strange considering they made such a big deal about it during their Galaxy marketing lol...
It also has no headphone jack, another aspect that they like(d) to market haha

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
So.... YouTubers as beta testers (alpha), that's one way to outsource.

Shame. Foldable oled is awesome, glass hasn't caught up yet.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

Different teams working on different things. They've probably been working on the fold longer than the "Infinity-O" design came around.

Dec 4, 2017
Well, seems like they decided to cut their losses. No point going full speed into a wall. They certainly don't want a reediting of grenadegate.