• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
kid lives like 25 minutes from my house, time to drive over there and congratulate his ass lol

He took the medium to the next level and got paid, I can't hate on it

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well, he's got 57,000 viewers right now...so yea, not too shabby.

I can totally see them poaching a couple more 'Big' names, and some middling names, possibly targeting some affiated with orgs, so that the orgs own marketing points people to Mixer.

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
Now make him play games with women.

BackVioletGelding-max-1mb.gif

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
After the initial shock, to be fair this kind of makes sense. Ninja is like the ultimate influencer for two things Microsoft wants to expand in: game streaming and, er, game streaming.

I don't know how big Mixer is, but these streaming sites require critical mass, and Ninja is sure to get a lot of people over. At the same time you don't get a contract like 50M without being obligated to shill the crap out of your employer, so I'm sure Ninja contractually has to play all MS biggest games, which is a big marketing push for Gamepass for the teenage demographic.

I'm sure the marketing budgets of Mixer and Xbox Two both easily eclipse 50M, and this effectively markets them both.

dabri

Nov 2, 2017
I wonder how long it will take before he start beating his spouse on stream or dropping n bombs.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
Now I don't follow football but the players there get paid more than that to switch between teams, correct?

It's about time for esports I guess.

Deleted member 41183

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
Entertaining literally thousands to hundreds of thousands of people, competing at video games, and being a safe face for advertisers ... no discernible talent?

What a sad, sad state of afairs that the man who tea bags and didn't stream with women is considered "safe" for advertisers.

I've never seen a Ninja stream and I feel like I'm not missing out on anything important.

It's the McDonald's of online content, really.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
It's a marketing expense. An absurd number of course, but not totally out of the question for a big-name with kids.

Nuri

Jan 4, 2018
Yah no.

If the subs were paid, then yes but they are giving that for free.
Doesn't matter it's one month and the user count for Mixer as a whole is maybe doubled or more. Yesterday many regular streamers saw sub counts rise. A lot of people are just hearing about Mixer because of this, After Microsoft spent millions to market Mixer . They could not spend that on any other marketing that would get them this.

Niks

Oct 25, 2017
This is one weird reality we are living in...
Kudos to him on making bank.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Doesn't matter it's one month and the user count for Mixer as a whole is maybe doubled or more. Yesterday many regular streamers saw sub counts rise. They could not spend that on any other marketing that would get them this.

Shit, they could spend $250 million on a massive ad campaign and the needle from Twitch to Mixer wouldn't budge.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds about right.

People really underestimate the power of social media, influence and reach. Having ninja swap is just as much targeted at his instagram (14.4M), youtube (22M), and twitter (4.6M) than anything else. That has a ton of value when it comes to marketing deals, that's an indescribably high amount of people hearing about mixer for the first time, and hearing it each time he drops a link to his stream.

This is much better than just dropping 50 million on ads, since the people following him are also already interested in gaming so it's basically targeted on top of everything.

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yah no.

If the subs were paid, then yes but they are giving that for free.
Ya got eyeballs viewing ads, people making accounts and linking them with their XBL account if they have them, donations being made (I believe MS gets a cut of those, as they do the other little things you can purchase). More people on the platform that MS themselves stream on frequently showing off new Xbox stuff, etc etc. I wouldn't say the investment "paid off" in one day, but it certainly earned some of that money back already, plus some ever-valuable mindshare for their relatively tiny streaming platform.

B. Spaceman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Spain
True talent that, huh? What a hard working guy.

What a silly world this is

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
This social media bullshit is going to influence next gen so badly. I can already see how they're going to market Halo Infinite.

This is making me feel very old and grumpy.

Texan365

Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft isn't paying someone to play a game. They just bought:

1. A brand recognized by tens of millions of people in the exact demographic they want to build
2. A built in marketing campaign off of all the free press and mindshare this deal is generating
3. A seemingly extremely hard-working employee that will now be the face of future marketing

$50 mil seems about right? Once again proving that if you build a brand, you get paid.

Trust

Jun 10, 2018
It's not surprising of a figure considering that Ninja probably made just as much so Microsoft had to match it.

Just like an athlete getting a major contract for a team.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Not gonna hate. Guy doing his thing and for something we all love. I would only oppose if he is being toxic to our community and being a bad influence to minors.

Props to him.

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hot damn. Good for him. I'm assuming he still gets subs and other money from sponsorships, etc... on top of that cool 50 mil too. He definitely doesn't have to worry about money!

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
This feels like such a waste of money.
Most of the viewers will leave them in a month.

Oct 25, 2017
This feels like such a waste of money.
Most of the viewers will leave them in a month.
$50 million to get Mixer trending and everyone talking, writing and tweeting about a continuing brand recognition.

So much can be learned from whether you hate it or not, but people just prefer to scoff and make generic capitalism posts.

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, he has a stream starting in two minutes apparently. Might as well watch to see whats up (I almost never watch live game streaming.) I guess the 50million worked after all?

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Good for him. I think this will be very beneficial to Microsoft as well. Probably worth the cost!

seems about right, they paid 2 billion for minecraft.
Yep, and we know how that turned out. A huge success for Microsoft. Right now a lot of people are in disbelief, but if this pays off as Microsoft expects it to, the $50m will easily be worth it.