ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
Statement from the Grammy's
www.hollywoodreporter.com

The Weeknd Lashes Out at Recording Academy: “The Grammys Remain Corrupt”

The nominations for the 63rd Annual Grammy Awards were announced on afternoon, with expected favorites like Taylor Swift, Beyoncé, Dua Lipa and Post Malone snagging nominations in the Big Four categories.

"Congratulations to today's GRAMMY's nominees who have earned their peers' recognition for their incredible work," he wrote. "There were a record number of submissions in this unusual and competitive year. We understand that The Weeknd is disappointed at not being nominated. I was surprised and can empathize with what he's feeling. His music this year was excellent, and his contributions to the music community and broader world are worthy of everyone's admiration. We were thrilled when we found out he would be performing at the upcoming Super Bowl and we would have loved to have him also perform on the GRAMMY stage the weekend before."

"Unfortunately, every year, there are fewer nominations than the number of deserving artists," the statement continued. "But as the only peer-voted music award, we will continue to recognize and celebrate excellence in music while shining a light on the many amazing artists that make up our global community. To be clear, voting in all categories ended well before The Weeknd's performance at the Super Bowl was announced, so in no way could it have affected the nomination process. All GRAMMY nominees are recognized by the voting body for their excellence, and we congratulate them all."

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah just listened to this for the first time. It's okay, I guess? Kind of proto for its genre and catchy/boring. My wife likes it though and she immediately said 'they always play this' (on the radio).

So yeah, power to those that like it. 1.67 billion streams tells me people love it. Also, I can't find House of Balloons on Spotify. I remember liking it in 2012, wonder how it's aged.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Not going to bother quoting because I don't want to get into any back-and-forth, but you know you dislike something without having to shit all over the artist. You're so cool that you don't like one of the top artists in the world who has grown with every release , is great live, never really phones anything in, wears his heart on his sleeve. You're so ,so cool. Some of the same people trashing him are the same people that love to be toxic and pit pop artists against each other, not surprising at all

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
There's a theory that he submitted his music to the Pop categories, which would explain a lot. They love to throw black artists into the urban/rap/r&b box.

Yeah, it's a case of Grammy hubris, to be honest.

It's true that he submitted mainly in Pop categories, and it's likely that this is what cost him getting any nominations in the Genre Fields. It's obvious that other artists were bigger in the Pop field or were better known as Pop artists. I bet he would have gotten nominations submitting in the R&B categories (Yes, I understand that this is racially tinged and problematic, but it's probably the case). The top vote getters just outright get the nominations here, so going outside of the perceived genre probably was enough to put Bieber over him.

As far as the General categories go, they look at the top vote getters (I think top 25) in each of the categories and have a committee determine the slate of nominees (I think this is done to ensure some sort of gender/genre diversity, etc...). I have to assume that The Weeknd was a top 25 vote getter in at least Record and Album of the year, but it's entirely possible that the committees for those categories just opted for other choices, possibly because they understood that he failed to get Genre nominations (though nonsense like Beyonce getting 2 ROTY nominations and Post Malone getting nominated in the top 3 categories is a clear indicator that the process is flawed).

Looking at the Pop Vocal album nominees, only Bieber is an outwardly goofy choice over The Weeknd.

Best Pop Vocal Album
"Changes" — Justin Bieber
"Chromatica" — Lady Gaga
"Future Nostalgia" — Dua Lipa
"Fine Line" — Harry Styles
"Folklore" — Taylor Swift

Here were The Weeknd's submissions:
After Hours: AOTY, Pop Vocal Album, Engineered Album
Blinding Lights: ROTY, SOTY, Pop Solo Perf, Best Music Video
In Your Eyes (Remix): Pop Duo/Group Perf
Over Now: Pop Duo/Group Perf
Smile: Melodic Rap Perf
On the Couch: Song For Visual Media

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Looking at the Pop Vocal album nominees, only Bieber is an outwardly goofy choice over The Weeknd.

Best Pop Vocal Album
"Changes" — Justin Bieber
"Chromatica" — Lady Gaga
"Future Nostalgia" — Dua Lipa
"Fine Line" — Harry Styles
"Folklore" — Taylor Swift
There's also another thing that stands out from that list.

Desparadina

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
ever since they gave macklemore that grammy over kendrick gkmc ive never taken the grammy's seriously what a worthless ass award

Darkgable

Nov 3, 2017
Something fishy happened. One or two snubs would be one thing but he was widely predicted to sweep by everyone and didn't get a single nomination. I mean, Justin Bieber in his flop era got in over him.

It's like Craig David all over again. (Insert award show name) remain as shit as ever.

Glasfrut

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It should... Enough is enough. Damn. Grammys aint been shit forever. Had to boycott them to get them to even treat black music with a little respect. Long past time to stop seeking validation from them.

You're right, but part of the issue is another artist that shouldn't care will show up to pick up a Grammy and keep it relevant longer than it should be.

I don't think they (the Grammys) care if Drake or Tyler trash them after if they still got to show them attending/on screen. But then again, maybe the play for artists is for what it gives you within the label machine? Bigger budgets or other avenues for the music? Or maybe people just want the stat.

Deleted member 69501

Banned
May 16, 2020
To not even get a nom in what was by all accounts a weak year for music. I love jhene but I am SHOCKED she snagged album of the year, same goes for Jacob Collier. He's a music genius but by all accounts his music is messy and hella niche. I'm shocked he's nom for album of the year and am low-key pissed that next team he tours his tickets won't cost 20 cad dollars.

Also, LOL at my queen B getting all them nom for an album released last year, that I loved, but got almost no hype in America.

Just look at the sorry state of that best r&b album list hahaha this man pissed off some ppl

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
Just look at the sorry state of that best r&b album list hahaha this man pissed off some ppl

He submitted for nominations in Pop instead of R&B, which is probably what cost him nominations. Among his 10 previous nominations and 3 previous wins, he only had one previous nomination in the Pop categories (Pop Vocal Performance nomination for I Can't Feel My Face).

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
www.tmz.com

The Weeknd Allegedly Given Ultimatum Over Grammys, Super Bowl Before Nomination Snub

The Weeknd was faced with a tough choice -- perform the Grammys or the Super Bowl -- but hammering out a deal to do both could've cost him Grammy nominations.
Didn't think much of the snub at first (Grammys will randomly do this shit every now and then) but this is really damming and something needs to be done about the Recording Academy's process of selecting the nominees.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
Justin Bieber

Changes: AOTY, Pop Vocal Album
Intentions: ROTY, SOTY, Pop Duo/Group Perf
Stuck With U: ROTY, SOTY, Pop Duo/Group Perf
10,000 Hours: (ROTY, SOTY), Country Song, Country Duo/Group Perf
Yummy: Pop Solo Perf

Bieber did indeed submit it Pop, despite his complaints that he should have been considered in R&B lol.

Deleted member 69501

Banned
May 16, 2020
I have no idea why people keep mentioning Taylor (and Dua) getting nominated when expressing frustrations over snubs (well...I do, it's because they're mainstream women) when Coldplay got nominated. Does anyone even remember that album? Did anyone even know it came out?
Dayum, no...no I don't remember, or rather, I didn't know Coldplay dropped an album haha.

Tbh, the Grammys awards snubbing the weekend for A nomination is shocking to me. Critical acclaim + one of the highest selling albums of the year. That would usually do it for you at the Grammies. Also, that dua Lipa album is legit amazing and funny enough is similar to binding lights.

Fevaweva

Oct 30, 2017
I'll say it again, i forgot Coldplay had an album out within the last year. I never heard a single for it or anything and it still got nominated for AOTY.

I hate to agree with a "you owe me" statement but he is not wrong. It's very weird.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
Statement from the Grammy's
www.hollywoodreporter.com

The Weeknd Lashes Out at Recording Academy: “The Grammys Remain Corrupt”

The nominations for the 63rd Annual Grammy Awards were announced on afternoon, with expected favorites like Taylor Swift, Beyoncé, Dua Lipa and Post Malone snagging nominations in the Big Four categories.
not really buying it

To be clear, voting in all categories ended well before The Weeknd's performance at the Super Bowl was announced, so in no way could it have affected the nomination process.
There's a difference between when the performance was announced and when the back and forth negotiations were happening

you ain't slick, Grammys

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
In that case, what is complaining going to get you? It's not going to un-snub you that's for sure. And besides, even if you get snubbed, people will recognize that The Weeknd had a strong album regardless.
To raise awareness of the corruption and pettiness that if Grammys doesn't get exclusive performances from an artist, they're going to snub them on purpose.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
Again, there's a lot of unfounded assumption of bad faith here. The Weekend submitting his album/top track in Pop instead of R&B probably is the cause for snub... not some conspiracy.

The Grammy ballot is something like 85 categories long. Virtually no one votes in every category across the board. Artists generally only vote in the categories that they have expertise in and in the general categories. The Weeknd's fanbase is probably not predominantly interested in voting in the Pop field (he only has one previous nomination out of 10 in the Pop field).

The way that the General field works (i.e. Best New Artist, Song, Record, and Album of the year) is that they have a committee of ~20 voters drawn from across all of the fields who review the top 20 vote getters in each category and put them to a second (confidential) nominating vote, resulting in the 8 actual nominees. The idea here is to ensure diversity of genre and artists among the General Field nominees (as well as diversity in gender and genre among this smaller subset of voters). It's quite probable that The Weeknd was initially in the mix here (i.e. was in the top 20 vote getters for Record or Album of the Year), but lost out in this final vote, resulting in no nomination.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I'm surprised he'd be in his feels about Grammys. They have always been an ain't shit organization and he already has a ton of them, so it's not like not getting any could impact his career or popularity. That said, show the votes.

Nightwing123

Oct 27, 2017
Yummy fucking got a nomination the Grammys can stay in the trash. Blinding Lights on its own deserved a nomination.

Last edited:

NekoNeko

Coward
Oct 26, 2017
i don't even like his album all that much but he should be nominated, especially looking at some of the albums/songs they did nominate.

i mean it would be fine if they had 8 great albums up for nomination but that's not the case at all.

OfficerRob

Oct 25, 2017
The Grammy's have always been corrupt garbage, but The Weeknd not being nominated wouldn't be what I'd use as evidence of that

toastyToast

Oct 26, 2017
This has to be personal when Blinding Lights was playing for literally months non-stop

Also,as usual it's fuck the Grammys until it's Grammy season and people start giving a shit again lol

sebbbbe_WiiG

Oct 28, 2017
Berlin
I only care for the American Roots categories when it goes to to Grammy's, especially the Blues ones, and the picks have been always really solid. I guess it's only the popular categories the majority here disagrees with.

Catvoca

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely something weird going on. After Hours should be the sort of thing the Academy laps up.

Any decent enormous pop song like Blinding Lights usually gets a nom, and the album itself is "arty" while still being very accessible. Grammy's should be all over this.

It's also just Abel's best album since Trilogy.

but whatever, it's the Grammys. Go listen to Black Dresses and Armand Hammer and every other cool indie artist that will never get nominated

THE REAL TRAGEDY IS MAC MILLER NOT GETTING ANY NOMS FOR CIRCLES

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
In normal circumstances I might consider a reaction like this a little petty, but in this case it's pretty justified to call this out.
Blinding Lights was quite literally the song of the year, it was everywhere! It makes no sense for him not to get a single nomination.
Also, seriously, Yummy?!

i_am_ben

Oct 27, 2017
In normal circumstances I might consider a reaction like this a little petty, but in this case it's pretty justified to call this out.
Blinding Lights was quite literally the song of the year, it was everywhere! It makes no sense for him not to get a single nomination.
Also, seriously, Yummy?!

This is my view as well.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I honestly cannot believe anyone looks to these things for quality music. There is way too much good music being done everywhere for anyone to be able to actually pick up a handful of best albums or songs in any given year.

Anyway. I kinda get the feeling that's not what the conversation is about in the first place.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
he needs to go back and make songs like back in his mixtape days
i was a huge fan in 2012 but everything that came after HoB is was just so lame with some good singles in between like some stuff on kissland and the songs he did with DP