• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Atram

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
i think this video deserves his own thread. He seemed to put many effort in his research (im mean skillUp, not Wilson)

Last edited:

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
(This is what happens when someone actually does some research)

edit: this was my thinking after about two minutes, it's gone off the tracks a little since then...

Last edited:

The Omega Man

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
Amazing research, makes sense that Andrew Wilson current EA CEO was one of the first persons who supported and implemented Lootboxes

Phonomezer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Fantastic video.

Wilson is a cunt, you can tell just by looking at him. Time to cancel my EA Access account.

Oct 27, 2017
An excellent and well researched video. Subscribed.

The part about Amy Hennig and her team, when asked what do they have to offer to match FIFA Ultimate Team just made me sick to my stomach. Especially since we know what happened. Scummy AF!

He is going to be boo'ed if he comes out on stage again at E3.

Last edited:

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
I can already see a way EA can skirt these new regulations if they do become a thing. Physical Card packs. TCGs arent in the spotlight here and probably never will be so there two ways here NFC based cards or cards with codes.

EA aint giving up Ultimate Team like profits easy.

gela94

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Really great video! But who the fuck buys these cards and mta . .I mean their earnings . . it's crazy you would think with this much income they would make some awesomes games with soul (yeah I know good joke)
But seriously the money just shows that people don't care

Plumpbiscuit

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
file_11194_Untitled2.jpg

Brat-Sampson

Nov 16, 2017
There we go.

EA aren't a games company. They're a microtransaction/lootbox company, mostly thanks to Fifa.

The Omega Man

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
That part when he outright debunks the myth of "Games are getting more expensive to make hence lootboxes", it turned out it was all about greed and revenue.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
Amazing video, my respect to the creator!

After watching it, I feel like uninstalling Origin when I get home...

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That part when he outright debunks the myth of "Games are getting more expensive to make hence lootboxes", it turned out it was all about greed and revenue.
I think there is more to it than though, EA's development costs reducing doesn't mean that it costs less to make a game, it just means the types of games EA are making are cheaper to make than those they were making in 2009.

So yeah, greed and revenue by being very selective about what they are actually developing.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
That's probably the most interesting video on this topic I have seen tbh. Very good.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That has to be intentional lol.

Also the video was very good, I was confused why he kept trying to set the record straight about Overwatch. Are people online squabbling about why these things became popular, or was he directly trying to address Jim Sterling's video where he said that?

There seems to be a notion that the comparison between Overwatches lootboxes, and EA's pay to win loot boxes isn't a fair comparison, hence the fact that Overwatch started the ball rolling is incorrect.

Oct 27, 2017

Also the video was very good, I was confused why he kept trying to set the record straight about Overwatch. Are people online squabbling about why these things became popular, or was he directly trying to address Jim Sterling's video where he said that?

Yes, even people on this forum were squabbling about Overwatch making it 'popular' or 'mainstream' (or defending the IP), hell, even people claiming Valve was first to deflect from the Overwatch criticisms. Video debunks all those notions, and people just do not realize how big FIFA actually is... $800 million a year big. Almost a billion.

A billion, goodness.

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Lots of gamers get upset if you mention Overwatch. At a minimum it helped popularize spending $60/80/100+ on loot boxes.

Blizzard also showed they will refuse to comply with Chinese regulation around drop rates, so many of us hold them up as the prime example of this industry utterly refusing to self-regulate.

The Omega Man

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
I think there is more to it than though, EA's development costs reducing doesn't mean that it costs less to make a game, it just means the types of games EA are making are cheaper to make than those they were making in 2009.

So yeah, greed and revenue by being very selective about what they are actually developing.
But they are making the same games, shooters, FIFA, action adventure, etc, and with better graphics and technology to boot to.

OP
OP
Atram

Atram

Oct 25, 2017
Germany

I think he try's to point out that the Overwatch LBs are not so relevant in earnings, so that the industry thinks "hey they made so much money with this we need to do this too". It's more like EAs UT is like the Master Code for everyone

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah well look at the games they are making hardly innovative. So when EA themselves say its to offset dev costs thats probably not the whole truth. Now Im not defending them but lets not forget marketing is a massive chunk that wasnt evaluated here.

Oct 28, 2017
Really great video! But who the fuck buys these cards and mta . .I mean their earnings . . it's crazy you would think with this much income they would make some awesomes games with soul (yeah I know good joke)
But seriously the money just shows that people don't care

I think it could also mean they've already gotten a lot of people addicted to these things. Its not that some people don't care, but when FUT becomes your digital crack addiction....these things will happen to a company's bottom line.

I wonder if anyone has ever done any serious research into what percentage of people who would identify as gamers suffer from various addictions and have addictive personalities.

I know that I do. In years past I became addicted to various MMOs. It started with Everquest and then jumped to World of Warcraft. It helped to destroy my first marriage. Wasn't the only factor but it was a big contributor. I learned about myself that I cannot play games that have no definitive ending. I can't do the never ending carrot on a stick because I become addicted to it.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah well look at the games they are making hardly innovative. So when EA themselves say its to offset dev costs thats probably not the whole truth. Now Im not defending them but lets not forget marketing is a massive chunk that wasnt evaluated here.

In which a lot of these publishers also sell their individual IP marketing rights to platform holders as well to offset even those costs.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But they are making the same games, shooters, FIFA, action adventure, etc, and with better graphics and technology to boot to.

They are making safe, money making games that could be argued have a lower level of innovation than other big budget games, you only have to look at games like MEA, DAI, and NFS to see just how much recycled gameplay is in their games.

sym30l1c

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks OP. This is the most important video I've watched about loot boxes. Extremely well researched and informative

Eidan

AVALANCHE
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Haha, showing EA staff riding scooters and playing ping pong while discussing how development costs have been on a steady decline for years was a brilliant touch.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
This video would be far more useful, and interesting, if it stuck to the history and didn't veer so blatantly into the author's opinions. It was relieving, after a good few weeks of people getting this completely wrong, for someone to point at FIFA as the originator of this practice. I've made this point a handful of times on this forum, albeit I have to admit I wasn't aware that Ultimate Team (a non monetised version) existed in the Champions League title before it came back in FIFA 09.

I'll put some a more full response to some of the less factual (and simply incorrect) points that he made when I get the time.

RulkezX

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, even people on this forum were squabbling about Overwatch making it 'popular' or 'mainstream' (or defending the IP), hell, even people claiming Valve was first to deflect from the Overwatch criticisms. Video debunks all those notions, and people just do not realize how big FIFA actually is... $800 million a year big. Almost a billion.

A billion, goodness.

That's not counting the actual profit on game sales. Fifa is 25% of EA's total revenue.

Fiel

Oct 30, 2017
good video than average lootbox rants.

"The Wilson Lootbox"
Pay-to-Win
Progression based
Gambling based

this point of video I realized this model name sounds like it could be a whole subject in university to study if university happen to have any faculty that related to gaming in the future lol.

"Oh, I got an A on Wilson Lootbox subject."

Phamit

Oct 26, 2017
Nice Research, but some misleading stuff.

why does he show 1313 when talking about visceral though?

And about the cost: the interesting part isn't the dev cost in general, it's the dev cost per tittle and how many games EA makes now compared 9 years ago. And he didn't provide that.

Brat-Sampson

Nov 16, 2017
It also demonstrates starkly how out of touch 'gamer culture' (e.g. Reddit/Resetera/most gaming sites etc) is overall when it comes to sports games :p Not that they don't publish articles on it, or that nobody here plays Fifa, but a lot of that stuff was information I was seeing for the first time, and I'm sure I'm far from the only one. I just never click Fifa articles or play the game, so I had no clue UT worked in that way.

Skip

Oct 25, 2017
For real though, Andrew Wilson seems like the most destructive force in the gaming sphere right now at least as far as gameplay design is concerned.

Oct 25, 2017
UK NW
Well this was an interesting video discussing the company as a whole, didn't know that Ultimate Team was such a lucrative part of the business because I don't follow sports games revenue.
The whole concept of pay to win loot crates is absolutely disgusting and it has no place in full price titles anymore, will be interesting to see what EA does after they realise the problems that they now face.
That character looking like the CEO in Mirrors Edge Catalyst is really ironic now, seems this man is a huge problem for the company's future one trick pony approach.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"The Wilson Lootbox"
Pay-to-Win
Progression based
Gambling based"

I brought to my mind that maybe we should be separating lootboxes, as they aren't all the same, it's clear that the "Wilsonbox" is the one we want rid off, as it's the one that is potentially more destructive to the way games are being designed, I am not convinced that we should be considering the overwatch style lootbox as the same enemy.

That's not to say that the overwatch box doesn't need regulating too.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
I literally just watched this entire thing before you posted this thread, and its pretty amazing how everything is broken down. I am curious as to what Anthem will do now.

Edit- Just think If digital loot boxes are killed off in games..People will be walking into their local Gamestop/Best Buy and buying physical loot packs to redeem on xbox live/PSN. I clearly hope nobody gets this idea.

Last edited:

The Omega Man

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
They are making safe, money making games that could be argued have a lower level of innovation than other big budget games, you only have to look at games like MEA, DAI, and NFS to see just how much recycled gameplay is in their games.
I don't know man, those games from before still look the same to me and one could also argue they had recycled gameplay from the generation before, in any case weather if they are "recycling gameplay" whatever that means, or they are budgeting better, the point still stands, EA games cost less on average to make than before and Lootboxes are there for greed and not to compensate/offset high elevated developing costs.

Wink784

Oct 27, 2017
If I understood the first ten seconds correctly and there's no context missing Battlefront 2 should be free to play. That's what he (Wilson) said isn't it?

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
I think it could also mean they've already gotten a lot of people addicted to these things. Its not that some people don't care, but when FUT becomes your digital crack addiction....these things will happen to a company's bottom line.

I wonder if anyone has ever done any serious research into what percentage of people who would identify as gamers suffer from various addictions and have addictive personalities.

I know that I do. In years past I became addicted to various MMOs. It started with Everquest and then jumped to World of Warcraft. It helped to destroy my first marriage. Wasn't the only factor but it was a big contributor. I learned about myself that I cannot play games that have no definitive ending. I can't do the never ending carrot on a stick because I become addicted to it.

I know I have an addictive personality. When I played Diablo 2 if there was some lootbox BS in that game I'm sure I would've spent every penny on it. Instead it all ended up going towards MTG cards =(

I think he try's to point out that the Overwatch LBs are not so relevant in earnings, so that the industry thinks "hey they made so much money with this we need to do this too". It's more like EAs UT is like the Master Code for everyone

Gotcha, this makes more sense. I guess for me it's kind of irrelevant how this crap became popular and more about where do we go from here. Anyway it was a really great video and I do hope EA changes leadership so that they start making interesting games again.

Deleted member 5167

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The user was warned for this post. If you have to preface a post by saying "I'm probably gonna be warned for this"... don't post. Be respectful towards your fellow users.

not aiming this specifically at you, and I'm sure I;m going to get warned for this but:
Are you people really this fucking stupid?

EAs overall development costs have gone down.
But so have their overall release count of games.

Code:
                           Overall development costs
Cost per title   =  ------------------------------------
                           Number of titles released

gamereleases6yscz.png

OH, COSTS HAVE GONE DOWN SINCE 2009?
GUESS GAMES ARE CHEAPER TO MAKE NOW