• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 7572

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the game looks pretty damn amazing. It was never going to look like the PS4 versions, but I think it still looks great. Looking forward to seeing it in action.
I remember when getting a portable version of a current gen game meant getting a completely different version/experience.

The fact that I can play the full-fat version of current gen games portably is still crazy to me.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
I remember when getting a portable version of a current gen game meant getting a completely different version/experience.

The fact that I can play the full-fat version of current gen games portably is still crazy to me.

This is where I'm at. I'll take downgraded graphics if it doesn't mean getting a half baked version of the same game portable.

Oct 27, 2017
or for people who would rather play this game on a handheld platform

I purchased FFXII Zodiac Age on PS4, and then PC, and then Switch, but I never played more than halfway through the game until I picked up the Switch version because for me, the game is a lot more approachable when I don't have to dedicate couch time to it and play at my TV. That's something I had been aware of long before the Switch version was even announced - and went the extra mile to play with a portable form factor even then, via mobile Remote Play (which was an okay experience) and Steam streaming to my phone mounted on a Steam controller (which was cool but cumbersome). Those solutions were nifty, but bore issues and constraints of their own, and I've found the Switch version to be the one that most conforms to my desires and lifestyle. The fact that I can't run it at 60fps like the PC version, or that the visuals aren't as improved as the PS4 versions, were heavy considerations before I made my purchase, but immediately fell to the wayside after I started the game on Switch and the value of convenient portability made itself apparent to me.

When a portable form factor makes a game more approachable or accessible to you then it's easy to overlook the visual concessions. It's been that way for a long time, if you can recall ports of games and experiences to legacy handheld platforms. I think it's pretty weird how people have come to reject the notion that a handheld version of a game isn't worth playing unless it's your only means of playing the game. That sentiment never really took hold until the Switch came into the picture.

This:

...is not such an unflattering comparison for Switch that it diminishes the novelty and importance of a full-fat current generation open-world RPG being ported to a handheld platform with so few concessions beyond the expected visual cutbacks.

Yeah, they've done an impressive job, getting it to run on the Switch at all. Glad you're enjoying your Switch! I have one myself but never really use it (I don't care for handheld gaming, and I have a PS4 that I buy all multiplats for anyway) :/

Lorcain

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand why the Witcher 3 on Switch is triggering people. It's bizarre. Time to commission a psychology study.

It looks a little rough especially coming from PC, but all things considered I'm surprised it's even on the Switch. I'm guessing it will be dynamic resolution and 30fps as the target. It will be weird af to be able to play this portable (in a good way).

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
I must be blind , it doesn't look that bad to me. I was fully expecting this to be a streaming game like AC and RE7.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So many salty people and concern trolling.
My favorites comments are "but why?" even its clear like day that not every person has PS4/XB1/PC, or even some of have some of those platforms, full handheld play for one of best games of generation is game changer for plenty of people.
Yep, I said this before the reveal but i'm buying the game just to support the audacity of this port. Quite frankly, it looks better than I expected.

I beat it a few years ago but never beat Hearts of Stone or played Blood & Wine and then I lost my save. Tried the DLC-only New Game option but it felt crippled.

This will give me a great excuse to replay the game and get to that DLC.

rodrigolfp

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Witcher3_Switch_06112019_10.png

So the bodies are there here but not on the trailer it seems?

Witcher3_Switch_06112019_08.png

There is blood also for those worried about censoring a couple pages back.

I might go crazy and get this...its portable witcher 3 goddamnit!

If the game can look like this on Switch, PC version really got a gigantic downgrade from what could have been....

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
I did not expect that honestly... Hope it's not 59,99 tho... I've bought the complete edition for like 15 bucks on PS4.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
I played through this in 4k/60fps on the PC... will play through this again on Switch undock, cause im easily impressed handheld tech achievements.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I did not expect that honestly... Hope it's not 59,99 tho... I've bought the complete edition for like 15 bucks on PS4.
I imagine $49.99 at least.

This is a brand new port. It takes a lot of money to make a port this good for a game like TW3 on a console like the Switch.

You're gonna have to pay for the privelage.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
I have yet to jump into this one so Switch it is. For being able to play portable anywhere? This game looks incredible.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Digital Foundry could sing praises about this port and people here would still have a problem with its existence
Yeah, I'm surprised The Witcher 3 is the hill a lot of these folks are willing to die on. The game came out years ago elsewhere. Not sure why this game in particular is the one that is driving folks mad.

Jaxar

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Although visual compromises will probably have to be made, the fact that a game of this size and scope will be available to play on a portable console is quite amazing.

DmckPower

Feb 1, 2018
or for people who would rather play this on handheld

I purchased FFXII Zodiac Age on PS4, and then PC, and then Switch, but I never played more than halfway through the game until I picked up the Switch version because for me, the game is a lot more approachable when I don't have to dedicate couch time to it and play at my TV.

I really wish I understood this mentality of handheld somehow being more comfortable or convenient.

How is dedicating 120 hrs fo a game like FF12 more comfortable on a small screen vs on a big screen on the couch ?

In reality most handheld gamers simply play their handhelds at home on their couch anyway and I struggle to understand how that is somehow superior to playing on a TV.

This is not directed to you..My friends say the same shit and I just don't get it..

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I really wish I understood this mentality of handheld somehow being more comfortable or convenient.

How is dedicating 120 hrs fo a game like FF12 more comfortable on a small screen vs on a big screen on the couch ?

In reality most handheld gamers simply play their handhelds at home on their couch anyway and I struggle to understand how that is somehow superior to playing on a TV.

This is not directed to you..My friends say the same shit and I just don't get it..
Maybe they don't understand the mentality of playing on a TV.

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017

Cause I can play it on the toilet, in my backyard, garage, any bed or couch, and if I wanted to, outside as well.

I like options.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017

I may or may not have the time or desire to sit in front of the TV and play it, but if I'm running some errands which involve a lot of waiting, or breaks at work, or maybe I want to just play in bed or a different part of the house where my TV isn't. It just opens up so many more places and chances to play.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Loved the game but it ran and at times looked like complete ass on the Xbox One, only got worse with the updates as well. Really interested to see how it performs on this.

DC5remy

Jan 20, 2018
Denver co
User Warned: Do not post jokes or images that mock ethnic accents
Mod Edit: Image removed

Last edited by a moderator:

EDarkness

Oct 25, 2017

I can understand having the ability to play anywhere (in the kitchen, on the toilet, in you're mom's room, on the porch, in bed, etc.) means it's a lot easier to play where and when you want. Or if someone is hogging the TV, then you're not stuck. You can play while they watch TV. For games where there's a lot of repetition (like RPGs), it's a lot easier to devote time to it.

That said, I understand why they like it, but personally I'm not a portable gamer. I'm all about playing on my TV. Still, I'm getting The Witcher 3 on the Switch. Just pre-ordered on Amazon! I'm much more interested in split controller gaming than anything else. I really don't like standard dual analog controllers.

Oct 25, 2017
If I did get this, I'd have to play it predominantly in handheld mode so that it didn't look like sludge on my TV.

Absolutely incredible they got this game running in any format on Switch though. Pretty impressive.

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I have a family, but even if I didn't, I can have a sporting event or something going on the tv while I play.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018

its just... better
i hate playing on the TV usually but it depends on the game
visual novels, most rpgs and a lot more just feel better in the palm of your hands.feels more personal?
used to it from so many handheld consoles and mobile games

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

It's about convenience more than comfort. If someone wants to watch TV you don't have to stop your game. If you need to take a dump you don't have to stop your game. If you're moving from the living room to the bedroom you don't have to stop your game.

So how big will the day1 update be? 35GB?

They seemingly confirmed the full game plus DLC is on the game card.

🤔🤔🤔

spill the beans

Clearly Crow Twochairs is coming to Switch, duh.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017

You play anywhere, at anytime, with just a battery around to double/triple the battery if needed. Charges pretty fast.
Can play on TV/Switch instantly if needed/wanted.
The plug and play aspect is so big. You get back into games as fast as picking up the console.
When I'm at work or going/coming back, riding a car or something, I just put it in my small bag, detach the joycons if needed.

Really it's just so conveninent and pleasant, that's all.

Status
Not open for further replies.