• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Loanshark

Nov 8, 2017
Playing Blood & Wine for the second time. I must say that I much prefer it to Hearts of Stone. The atmosphere is something else, and they really nailed that "a paradise with dark and sinister corners" vibe with both the aesthetics as well as the soundtrack. Such a big tonal change from the rest of the game should have been jarring, but CDPR pulled it off perfectly. It feels fresh while still retaining all of its original strengths.

Speaking of the soundtrack, the ambient music in Blood & Wine is on a entirely different level. These three are good examples:

These tracks make me a little bit emotional to be honest. It might be entirely subjective, but I feel like they simultaneously capture the mysteriousness and wonder of Toussaint as well as the melancholy of it being Geralt's final adventure.

Edit: Oh shit, this isnt the community thread.

Last edited:

Loanshark

Nov 8, 2017
I'm going through blood and wine right now and I'd argue that it's a step above the base game in every aspect.
I think that the level is the same as the base game, but it compliments it in a perfect way. Its such a depature from the tone of the base game + HoS that it stands out way more in comparison. I wouldnt say that its better, just more eye-catching after having spent 100+ hours in Velen, Skellige and the rest. The one thing that I do think they improved is combat encounters. I really love fighting bruxas, for example.

Oct 29, 2017
Hey guys, I used to have the standard physical edition for this game, and bought the DLC separately. I gave my copy to my cousin, and now I want to get a digital copy (standard edition). Would it be compatible with my save file? I know that the standard edition and GOTY edition have different save files, but should I be ok since I'm getting the standard edition?

amialion

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I just started a new PC/switch playthrough and ran into what I think was an issue with Steam cloud save. My plan was to mostly do main quests and side quests on PC after my kids go to bed, and then use the Switch to do question marks, treasure hunts, etc. I went through the main quest in White Orchard on PC up until it tells you to gather buckthorn. I then switched over to my Switch and did all of the ?'s in White Orchard. The next day I went to continue the main quest on PC...everything looked fine and all of my gear and progress seemed to be present. However, as soon as I picked the buckthorn it marked a previously completed phase of the quest (Talk to the herbalist about buckthorn) as failed and would not allow me to proceed. I talked to Vesemir, the herbalist, the Hunter, the Nilfgardian Captain....and tried everything else I could think of, but nothing would trigger the next phase of the quest and I was stuck in White Orchard with nothing left to do. Reloading the last PC save worked but I then had to redo all of the ?'s in the area. Anyone else had any similar issues? I loved the idea of the cloud save feature and was having a blast but I'm kind of afraid to play anymore on the Switch if there's any chance of this happening again.

SpaceBridge

Oct 31, 2017
Question; how does the dlc work for Witcher 3? Is it on cart? Download code? I don't have an extra SD card so curious how this works.

ABitAshamed

Feb 10, 2019
Hello guys, I'm the only one thinking that toussaint looks à bit blurry compared to the other regions of the game ?
Im really impressed by the way the game runs in handeld but for toussaint its like its not as Sharp as the others, the framerate seems better however

SpaceBridge

Oct 31, 2017
So ended up getting this. Just fiddled with the new graphics update. What're the suggesting settings?

Playing on handheld. Game looks amazing but cutscenes look a bit janky. Sometimes a new scene will switch the background will flash white before yes loaded. It's not game breaking but really breaks immersion. Is this normal?

SpaceBridge

Oct 31, 2017
So a few days with this game and I'm still in the first area; exploring, stumbling on side quests and so on. But I'm having a hard time making money. I'm gathering loot and dismantling it to get parts to forge new armor and so on but it costs a lot of money and selling swords I find on battlefields or treasured doesn't get much money.
Any tips?

Glass

Oct 26, 2017
Rather nitty gritty question regarding ability points. Normally you have to put each unlocked ability into the slots to use / activate them. But I currently only have 1 quen unlock in there, but seem to have both quen upgrades (the quen knock back, and the hold quen to regain health unlock) active. Are abilities in the same talent tree all unlocked if you just have one in a slot?

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
Seems like the best place to ask...

Is NG+ known to be buggy on this? I started a Deathmarch run (1X, latest patches) and got stuck on the first Devil by the Well contract and turned the game off.

I've reloaded a save back up today and now it's showing as completed??

I've got a few different autosaves - one at the well before you summon the wraith and one where I've ran back to the village to do something else because I was stuck (without killing the wraith). Both of these now show as completed, but loading up the well save allows me to go back to the quest character and turn it in for an amethyst reward. WTF.

Any thoughts? I don't want to try and go through the whole game on Death March and then not 100% in it because it's bugged.

Mesharey

Dec 7, 2017
Kuwait
Blood and Wine and is so good, but I'm lvl 45 and my viper gear is outdated now, is there a way to update it?

Terbinator
There are bugged quests and they didn't fix them apparently, like "From Ofier's Distant Shores" for me.

Denghiu

May 24, 2020
I definitely need to double dip. I've been replaying this for the third time on PS4 but the idea of having it in handled is just too appealing.

akasha

Jan 14, 2019
Germany
I've finished the main story (and tons of side quests) earlier this year after 120h and started both DLCs briefly after the patch, but still got to return to them (had to move in-between).

Last edited:

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
I don't know what it is but I'm level 6 and haven't found one silver sword yet on my Deathmarch run.

This includes completing the Keira Metz line and completing the Griffin sword/armour hunt! All the Silver swords that can be bought are too high-levelled for me.

WTF.

Lightning1981

Mar 31, 2019
Question spoiler so only read those who finished the game.

do you have to kill the woodland spirit to receive the trophy for completing all contracts? I know you need to kill the spirit for the woodland spirit contract trophy but I wanted to reload my save after doing that and let the spirit live completing it by doing the sacrifice method instead. The guy who asks you to kill the spirit is an asshole and I don't really want to help him lol

stat84

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What are some of the must have mods on PC? Gonna start my first playthrough
www.resetera.com

Essential mods for The Witcher 3?

I've restarted this game about three times and always ended up burning out on it eventually, which is a shame because I quite like it. Anyway, I'm in the mood to continue it right now so I wondered which mods you guys recommend. I'm about 35h into the game and looking for Dandelion in the...

This is the thread i used before starting my PC playthrough

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I've started the game and killed the first griffin. Already clocked in 7 hours because I did a bunch of sidequests in that first area, but I didn't go to every question mark. I picked the third difficulty and died a few times against the griffin, I read the game was easy even on this setting but so far I have to watch out if I'm fighting enemies higher than my level. I have the 9k weight limit mod and I'm not regretting that so far. May even install the one that disables weapon degradation as I don't see how that mechanic adds anything other than annoyance. I have a few questions though

- I'm playing with a controller and you use items with the d pad, but I don't see how I can access the other ones that are on the up and down sides. You have 4 slots, but you can only use 2 it seems...
- Will areas/quests become inaccessible at some point? I wonder if there's stuff I can miss
- Will you be able to dismantle items without going to stores? I wish there was a way to see which items you'd get without being in that interface.
- So if you craft a particular oil/bomb you don't need those specific materials again and it will restock after you meditate? I made a few bombs for the griffin and I wondered if I had to find those materials every time, but maybe not?
- What skills would you recommend I invest in first?

Nakho

Nov 1, 2017
I can only help with those:

- I'm playing with a controller and you use items with the d pad, but I don't see how I can access the other ones that are on the up and down sides. You have 4 slots, but you can only use 2 it seems... - Hold and release the up or down button, it will cycle through the itens.
- So if you craft a particular oil/bomb you don't need those specific materials again and it will restock after you meditate? I made a few bombs for the griffin and I wondered if I had to find those materials every time, but maybe not? - Exactly, it restocks every time you meditate.

akasha

Jan 14, 2019
Germany
I feel that I almost escaped the Animal Crossing black hole (at least until the August update), and want to play the DLCs next. I've completed both initial quests but it seems to be good to play them separately. I want to finish Hearts of Stone first because it will feel more wholesome to explore Toussaint in one go and at the end, though this new pretty area is really luring me right now.

Do we already know for sure that the Switcher has become a million seller, like many here predicted?

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I can only help with those:

- I'm playing with a controller and you use items with the d pad, but I don't see how I can access the other ones that are on the up and down sides. You have 4 slots, but you can only use 2 it seems... - Hold and release the up or down button, it will cycle through the itens.
- So if you craft a particular oil/bomb you don't need those specific materials again and it will restock after you meditate? I made a few bombs for the griffin and I wondered if I had to find those materials every time, but maybe not? - Exactly, it restocks every time you meditate.
Thanks, already figured all of it out, I'm already 50 hours in at this point. Still only in Novigrad, there's so much distracting me from the main quest and Gwent has its hooks in me too.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
So.... been playing for 47,5 hours now. Game is HUGE like more than I thought. So many sidequests and stuff I still haven't done and not quite sure I'll do since I still have the DLC to play...

I'm at:

Kaer Morhen, just did the three missions of helping Lambert, the other guy and Yennefer, about to go on to the Uma curse thing

How far am I from finishing the main story? I'm really invested in the game but boah is it long.

Obsonet

Nov 26, 2019
So.... been playing for 47,5 hours now. Game is HUGE like more than I thought. So many sidequests and stuff I still haven't done and not quite sure I'll do since I still have the DLC to play...

I'm at:

Kaer Morhen, just did the three missions of helping Lambert, the other guy and Yennefer, about to go on to the Uma curse thing

How far am I from finishing the main story? I'm really invested in the game but boah is it long.

You still have quite a bit to go

Obsonet

Nov 26, 2019
And that's not even counting side quests, right? I try to go mostly main story but some side ones are just so good.

Yeah Blood and wine has a lot of side stuff that is really good as well so it could take you longer than that depending on how much of it you do.
Plus a new gwent deck which is the best part

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I just did the Battle of Kaer Morhen and visited the emperor, that was an epic fight. I still want to do some contracts/sidequests but I think I can finish the main story now in my last week of vacation. One thing that continues to annoy me is how easily you can miss out on quests. Like on Skellige for some reason I forgot to close out the lighthouse wraight contract and that apparently locked me out of 2 quests, because the contract giver doesn't get killed. I closed the contract after doing the kingmaker quests and that allowed him to live... which is fine on the other hand because he seemed like a good dude.

But otherwise I really love this game, just a huge step up from 1 and 2, games I could never get into. Really glad I decided to give it a shot after all, this game really set a standard in great side content. This is a pet peeve for me in open world games and this is finally the game that lives up to its promise of offering diverse and worthwile quests.

104 hours on the Steam counter! I will take a break after the main quest but will definitely start the expansions later.

Oct 27, 2017
Fired this up after a long while away, tried some of the new graphics options. I much prefer the sharper image, I've turned off antialiasing and upped sharpness, I like the 'crispness' of it on the little Lite screen.

I'm still nowhere near the suggested level for Blood and Wine yet even though I'm vastly further on than I ever got on PS4.

Apr 19, 2018
Thinking of finally jumping into the game for the first time on PC.

Does the base game and DLC typically see discounts during Steam sales?

Lightning1981

Mar 31, 2019
Next gen plans detailed:
www.resetera.com

Witcher 3 getting next gen upgrade for PC/PS5/XBOX - Raytracing and Faster Loading [Free for all current owners]

https://thewitcher.com/en/news/32792/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-is-coming-to-the-next-generation Free upgrade confirmed! Coming 2021 Also HDR for PC confirmed: Hype!
I'm actually waiting on this dropping before I complete the dlc and new game plus. I wish there was a date when this upgrade would be available though.