Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Saw the game on sale on the Xbox store. Is the GOTY edition the best one that supports the new patch?

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
These criticisms are just bizarre. Obviously both outlets have flaws and an element of opinion factored in.

Nacho Papi

Oct 27, 2017
I know I'm probably day dreaming but how nice wouldn't it be if this set a precedent for future games on X. Letting the players decide, 'gfx' mode + 30 fps or 'performance' mode + 60 fps...mmmmhmmm

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
Man I'm loving these patches which, simply put, justify my Xbox one x purchase. I wanted the console that would be the best experience for 3rd party games this generation and it keeps delivering.
Yeah, I'd be very surprised if the Pro was able to match One X on any game in the future (apart from those that already hit the 2160p60 ceiling for Sony).

Petran

Oct 29, 2017
As long as you're making erroneous statements I'll disagree with them, yes. When you say "4K checkerboard isn't as accurate as native 4K" I'll agree with you. When you say "4K checkerboard is only rendering half as many pixels as native 4K" you're wrong, and I will say so.

CBR is not an upscaling technique. It is a kludge and approximation, like very many techniques in realtime graphics. It thus isn't as accurate as typical sampling and shading.

But it is much more accurate than some people claim. I posted a comparison from this game before. Sorry to go back to the well, but I'm trying to make a point. Here it is again:

witchergapdh.gif

What do you think about the "Pro CBR" frame's image quality versus the "One X native" frame?
So, checkerboard I guess is the latter part of this generation's mister xmedia secret sauce.
Not a way to upscale, just a pristine new rendering technique.

:D
Do I have this right according to you Liabe?

Ima gonna hit Phil Spencer like an octopuss until I make him switch all native games to checherboarding IQ masterpieces. What fools are there in xbox team.
I mean, why even put the X out? Just make my old xbone checkerboard its ass from 900p to 4k. Duh!

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
So, checkerboard I guess is the latter part of this generation's mister xmedia secret sauce.
Not a way to upscale, just a pristine new rendering technique.

:D
Do I have this right according to you Liabe?

Ima gonna hit Phil Spencer like an octopuss until I make him switch all native games to checherboarding IQ masterpieces. What fools are there in xbox team.
I mean, why even put the X out? Just make my old xbone checkerboard its ass from 900p to 4k. Duh!
It's literally impossible for 4K CBR to be generated from 900p buffers, so again it's quite clear you don't actually understand the technique.

As for all the rest of this clownish response, you're spouting nonsense that I've never said. Even you agree that CBR actually exists, unlike the supposed extra hardware claimed by Misterxmedia. And while it isn't a method of upscaling and is a new rendering technique, it is definitely not a pristine one. It's not a magical panacea. It isn't as accurate as native rendering, but it's much better than simple upscaling.

That's exactly why it was invented. It's exactly why the "fools" on the Xbox team suggested it to devs as a possible approach on One X. And it's exactly why some devs do use it, on both premium machines.

CBR does not produce results as accurate as native rendering at the same buffer size. Thus native rendering is always preferable, when possible.

But when resources are limited, CBR is one of many sophisticated tradeoff methods developers can use to balance results to their liking. Some of the most technically accomplished studios in the world have used it. That should make it very clear to you that it's not laughable, but valuable in some contexts.

By the way, you bolded my question but didn't answer it. What do you actually think about the IQ of the two frames in my GIF?

tlhm94

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just let it go. You are the only one who keeps bringing this up. Even Nxgamer said it is derailing the thread.

On topic though, has anyone done an actual comparison of textures on 1x versus normal xbone or ps4/pro. I want to see if they actually updated textures because I know some people thought that the textures did not look improved as mentioned in the patch notes.

I notice you didn't bother saying as much to the others keeping the conversation going about DF and NX Gamer. Yes, it is derailing the thread, but note that I did not bring the topic up nor am I the one keeping it going.

The patch was around 530 MB I think, so I assume virtually nothing has been done to improve textures. Based on NX Gamer's video, it seemed like the textures were the same as the Pro version, unfortunately.

tlhm94

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's literally impossible for 4K CBR to be generated from 900p buffers, so again it's quite clear you don't actually understand the technique.

No it isn't. You can use CBR for any base res, then use your favorite methods to fill the missing pixels in, and then use spatial scaling to upscale the result to 4k or whatever else ya wanna target for the output. And before ya ask, yes, I will continue correcting your nonsense on this topic because you have confused a lot of pplneedlessly.

And while it isn't a method of upscaling and is a new rendering technique, it is definitely not a pristine one. It's not a magical panacea. It isn't as accurate as native rendering, but it's much better than simple upscaling.

CBR is *always* coupled with a method of upscaling. As in, 100% of the time. Upscaling refers to any method to scale up the number of pixels for the output. Rendering half the pixels in one frame, then relying on other methods to produce the missing pixels is a form of upscaling.

But when resources are limited, CBR is one of many sophisticated tradeoff methods developers can use to balance results to their liking. Some of the most technically accomplished studios in the world have used it. That should make it very clear to you that it's not laughable, but valuable in some contexts.

CBR by itself isn't sophisticated at all. The methods to fill in the gaps it leaves behind is what is complex, not merely producing the checkerboard pattern. That part is easy.

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
No it isn't. You can use CBR for any base res, then use your favorite methods to fill the missing pixels in, and then use spatial scaling to upscale the result to 4k or whatever else ya wanna target for the output.
Of course. That's not what he was saying, though.

CBR is *always* coupled with a method of upscaling. As in, 100% of the time.
I've previously produced multiple quotes by devs that disagree, and your response was to say those devs were not using terms correctly. If you treat your position as literally infallible, discussing this with you will just derail the thread. Feel free to send me a direct message if you like.

Swanlee

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Played about 10 hrs of dlc after the patch on 4k mode and it looks and runs amazing. Looks like a whole new game.

Ebenezer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's been months since I've played, but after running around in it today after the patch I have a question...

If you walk and hold the B button did you always jump repeatedly? Was jumping even a thing?

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Liabe Brave How about to outsource the CBR discussions in its own thread instead of derailing every Xbox thread with it. It gets annoying. Having its own thread would also a good chance to get all the devs that are members of the forum to actually discuss it with you guys. Thank you!

Petran

Oct 29, 2017
Member banned 24H for insulting other members. Needless aggression.
hmm, I'm not really sure you have the intellectual capability...
But, Yes you can.

As for all the rest of this clownish response, you're spouting nonsense that I've never said.
let's see about clownish nonsense, and who writes that
And while (checkerboarding) it isn't a method of upscaling and is a new rendering technique
Haha, OK, didnt take long
And next time, I'd refrain from using these type of wording (clownish) if I was you.

Sony tried to make the upscale term "fun" and "legit", as they brought a "4K" machine that is basically 2x ps4 duct taped together, and can do native 4k in pacman only.
And this, coming straight off the back of 3 years where they were riding the "NATIVE" 1080p train.
Talk about a giant somersault here.

And then, people like you take it to the next level with cultivating misinformation.

By the way, you bolded my question but didn't answer it. What do you actually think about the IQ of the two frames in my GIF?
Your question has been answered multiple times in multiple threads, yet its like invisible to your "praise the checkerboard" agenda. Go back to this thread and read the answers by me and others.
Also, the reason you stromed this thread is that I wrote that since Witcher 3 "4k pspro" is already starting at a low point (1920 checkerboard), asking for "dynamic checkerboard" means asking to go below 1920, and that would not make sense when talking about a "4k output".
You wrote a few thousand words again defending cb, but still did not answer this: you think its a good idea for this fantastic rendering method of yours to go below 1900 for creating a ....4K image?

Liabe Brave How about to outsource the CBR discussions in its own thread instead of derailing every Xbox thread with it. It gets annoying. Having its own thread would also a good chance to get all the devs that are members of the forum to actually discuss it with you guys. Thank you!
Colbert, this has been suggested numerous times, if not each time liabe storms an xbox thread.
Its clear his interest lies elsewhere

Last edited:

Voxels

Oct 27, 2017
Wh
hmm, I'm not really sure you have the intellectual capability...
But, Yes you can.

let's see about clownish nonsense, and who writes that

Haha, OK, didnt take long
And next time, I'd refrain from using these type of wording (clownish) if I was you.

Sony tried to make the upscale term "fun" and "legit", as they brought a "4K" machine that is basically 2x ps4 duct taped together, and can do native 4k in pacman only.
And this, coming straight off the back of 3 years where they were riding the "NATIVE" 1080p train.
Talk about a giant somersault here.

And then, people like you take it to the next level with cultivating misinformation.

Your question has been answered multiple times in multiple threads, yet its like invisible to your "praise the checkerboard" agenda. Go back to this thread and read the answers by me and others.
Also, the reason you stromed this thread is that I wrote that since Witcher 3 "4k pspro" is already starting at a low point (1920 checkerboard), asking for "dynamic checkerboard" means asking to go below 1920, and that would not make sense when talking about a "4k output".
You wrote a few thousand words again defending cb, but still did not answer this: you think its a good idea for this fantastic rendering method of yours to go below 1900 for creating a ....4K image?

Colbert, this has been suggested numerous times, if not each time liabe storms an xbox thread.
Its clear his interest lies elsewhere
What is this?

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I've purchased the game of the year from the Xbox store gg cdpr.

Looking forward to the DLC on the one x.

tlhm94

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Of course. That's not what he was saying, though.

I've previously produced multiple quotes by devs that disagree, and your response was to say those devs were not using terms correctly. If you treat your position as literally infallible, discussing this with you will just derail the thread. Feel free to send me a direct message if you like.

You confused what the quotes were saying because your mind was already made up that it wasn't possible for you to be wrong. I will take it to PM's though, as is likely more appropriate.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Saw the GOTY edition for 14 on Xbox. Super tempted to jump in, especially with the new patch out.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
Picked up the complete edition earlier this week. Got around to trying this in 4k+HDR. Looks really good. I got pretty far into the PC version, and this will be maybe the 3rd time I've started a new game. But the total package looks really good to me on my OLED, despite the textures not being 4k.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017

I agree. I love reading some of his posts because I think he has some good understanding of stuff, but it is a constant derail of threads. It not only him, but seriously why does this happen with every thread that has any association with Xbox???

senjutsusage

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think you misunderstood the comment, I stated that the team will know well enough what can be achieved without our input, I am taking no credit for that and said as much, but the feedback from that and the conversation in forums, social media etc would not have been ignored or fell on deaf ears.

I am not crediting MS for the patch, merely they have a vested interest in these patches and as such may have helped fund some of this, if you think this is not a thing within industry then you are greatly mistaken.

Dude, listen, just keep doing your thing. You're doing a fantastic job, people look forward to and find value in your videos. You may not do things the way some people feel you should do them, but you clearly do a good enough job for people to find useful information and value in the work that you do. Don't let anybody, and I mean anybody, put you down or make you feel as if what you do is inadequate or like you are doing anything that can be considered harmful to the trade, the game you're analyzing and so forth. I was just reading some of the stuff I saw in here and just became disgusted by the comments, so had to say something. So, yea, keep doing your thing.

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
It clearly says Xbox patch on thread title yet the thread has been derailed into something else. You guys aren't helping either.

There is report button, use it. Let's not turn this into you know what.

Xbox thread is the same. Can't stay on topic at all.

Last edited:

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
I hope HDR makes it to PC. I would likely buy a new monitor or 4K TV and play through again.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still debating XboxOne X vs PC version.

Can someone help with a couple questions?

Does the Xbox version have options to disable any of the postprocessing effects like blur, chromatic aberration, and that fish eye effect in Witcher-sense?
I couldn't find any shots of the options menu.

Regarding GoG vs Steam, does GoG support anything like Steamcloud for playing on different PCs?

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I'm still debating XboxOne X vs PC version.

Can someone help with a couple questions?

Does the Xbox version have options to disable any of the postprocessing effects like blur, chromatic aberration, and that fish eye effect in Witcher-sense?
I couldn't find any shots of the options menu.

Regarding GoG vs Steam, does GoG support anything like Steamcloud for playing on different PCs?

You can turn off blur and fish eye on the Xbox. Not sure the game even has CA. Witcher 3 is still far superior depending on how fast your PC is, 60fps + mods is better than 4K. Also depends on what TV you're using, I'd probably get it on Xbox if you have a good TV that is 50+ inch.

Belvedere

Oct 27, 2017
Liabe I for one appreciate your input as an owner of Pro and X1X. To say it's refreshing to see someone with a bit of technical savvy regarding the framebuffer instead of predictable "it's a beast" would be a drastic understatement.

Also, just bought this game for the 3rd time for X lol.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
You can turn off blur and fish eye on the Xbox. Not sure the game even has CA. Witcher 3 is still far superior depending on how fast your PC is, 60fps + mods is better than 4K. Also depends on what TV you're using, I'd probably get it on Xbox if you have a good TV that is 50+ inch.

Thanks.
I wouldn't be using 4k on Xbox even with a 4k TV, just HDR. I prefer 60fps. I think my PC should outperform the Xbox at 1080p, so it's just down to HDR and other random stuff like using Xbox credit, my specific setup with headphones/surround etc.

I mentioned chromatic aberration because when it's forced on console versions it's my #1 dealbreaker.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Thanks.
I wouldn't be using 4k on Xbox even with a 4k TV, just HDR. I prefer 60fps. I think my PC should outperform the Xbox at 1080p, so it's just down to HDR and other random stuff like using Xbox credit, my specific setup with headphones/surround etc.

I mentioned chromatic aberration because when it's forced on console versions it's my #1 dealbreaker.

I always forget about HDR, that could swing it back in the 1X's favour. The ambient sound design in the Witcher 3 is pretty good too, so it also depends on which setup has better audio equipment.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm. I'm debating buying his again. I have it on PC and beat the main story there but no DLCs.

My PC can do ultra and 60fps, but the thought of HDR and 4K is tempting. So this patch is really good?