• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aerial51

Apr 24, 2020
The US is so crazy and fucked that if it would be a fictional Country in a Dystopian Sci-Fi Game people would say it's on the nose and lacks nuance because it's so incredible unsustainable

Oct 27, 2017
Nah turns out pets can use human insulin. What's fucked is I had to dig around for the coupon that gets me it for 100 bucks a bottle. Otherwise it's like 350. Straight up. Nobody tells you shit and I found for myself that the manufacturer offers a coupon
Even if we weren't talking about a life-saving drug that is basically free in any other country, a coupon that saves you 70% is pretty bullshit.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Another reminder that healthcare and doctors don't exist in the US (no real doctor would be okay with that "system").

oElx1pq.png

So proud having my country second there. Double than Canada, but minimum wage is $415 a month.

This is simply criminal. Health and Education should never be a business.

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
and patriotism and fake news will dictate that you should move to another oppressed country if you dont like it there

blodtann

Jun 7, 2018
Good to know you like the idea of people dying because they can't afford to pay for what is a human right!

But housing is a human right, clothing, food. Electricity, internet. The list goes on.

The whole American healthcare system needs to be dismantled and rebuilt from the ground up to fix these issues. It will take decades to even make some progress.

GrantDaNasty

Oct 27, 2017
I've been type-1 Diabetic for 16 years and our family financial situation wasn't great. This would've destroyed my family unless I chose to die as a mercy offering.

Luckily I live in a country where medicine isn't treated as a *privilege*.

padlock

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's a great piece on drug prices in the US with a large section on insulin I'd recommend here:

Thank you for posting this. That was very sobering.

The funny thing is, if you were to ask Amercians whether they believe drug costs should be regulated, I'm fairly certain the majority would say yes. Yet they continue to elect politicians who, at best, do nothing but pay lip service to the problems. Kind of similar to gun control.

I believe that special interests effectively controlling the political landscape (thanks, in large part, to the Citizens United ruling) is at the root of many of America's most pressing problems.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Coupons.
Special offers on lifesaving drugs seems like a full on Sci-Fi dystopia
Even if we weren't talking about a life-saving drug that is basically free in any other country, a coupon that saves you 70% is pretty bullshit.

It sure is, you can pay anywhere from 100 to 350 plus for the same thing, purely coupon based. How nice for their outrageous profits that they have so much room to cut their fleece.

Every time I buy it from the pharmacy they double take like I'm a psycho and ask if I really want it. As if Insulin whether I need it for my cat or me or family or whoever is something you can just skip out on cause of the price. It's a joke.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Not surprising; sounds like America.

Honestly, I don't think anything short of revolution will fix America's problems.

Same, but I guess there can only be so many Daily Show-likes, especially from Daily Show alumni.

All the fuckwits who are screwing up the country are the ones with the guns. So if it ever comes that they can't win elections through voter suppression, they'll just revolt and kill everyone on the opposition. That's what "freedom" really means to them. Cause they piss all over everything else in the constitution.

I wish their was a hell so people like Rupert Murdoch could burn in it for eternity. These rich billion fucks just couldn't pay a little bit of taxes, so they trained all their money on creating mass propaganda machines to get the stupid, uneducated mouth breathers to vote against their interests and blame the Democrats for their shitty lives.

blodtann

Jun 7, 2018
twitter.com/accidentallyleftwing

The point I was trying to make (not very elegant), was that if you bring up the fact that healthcare is a human right, then people throw on 1000 other things which could be considered a human right. That's why I steer away from that argument, and instead focus on the insanity of the american healthcare system as it currently is.

K444wsr

Oct 27, 2017
That's insane. I feel so fortunate to live in the UK when I read stories like this, but given the current trajectory of the country and its politics, I fear we may end up with something similar in the not to distant future. Madness

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
It's crazy - going slightly OT I saw that the total cost of having a baby in the US is up to $30k (provided you don't have twins). That's the total money the health system bills, including scans, checkups etc.

That seems nuts to me - as well as profiteering on stopping deaths, they're also profiteering on generating life!

Here's a story about how the post-insurance cost of having a baby is still $4,000....all because employers are scrimping on their healthcare plans and high deductibles are going into the system.

www.theatlantic.com

The High Cost of Having a Baby in America

The average delivery now costs more than $4,500—even with insurance.

Utterly wild that a country claims to be leader of the free world, but also gives zero fucks about looking after anyone, at any point, for anything.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's insane. The health system in the US is a joke, if it can even be called a system.

NHS isn't perfect but makes me thankful to live in the UK.

Oct 28, 2018
I'm curious how much of that is covered by an average insurance plan. Does anyone who regularly takes insulin and has insurance coverage have any insight on that?

mentok15

Dec 20, 2017
Australia
I live in a country with universal healthcare that I support, and think the US should have too. Some f the posts here are a bit extreme saying the US is some failed developing country. Has anyone saying that spent any time in an actual undeveloped nation?

And as someone who knows the industry a bit it's more an issue with people not having insurance than drug prices. These high prices are never actually payed by the insurance companies, hospital, or government systems, they are used as the beginning price negotiations. A large government system can bring the prices down as they have a lot of bargaining power. So even just having that as an option is good, you don't even need to get rid of private insurance to improve the system.

Also while I'm not agains these discussions but is this, the gaming forum section, really the best place to discuss this?

rafox

Apr 28, 2020
Here in Brazil it costs a whooping sum of: 0 bucks, it's free.
You guys need universal health care desperately

Edit.: Also, here in BR, if you go to a public hospital, everything is obviously free, even the medicine they prescribe you.

Last edited:

The Boat

Oct 28, 2017
I live in a country with universal healthcare that I support, and think the US should have too. Some f the posts here are a bit extreme saying the US is some failed developing country. Has anyone saying that spent any time in an actual undeveloped nation?

And as someone who knows the industry a bit it's more an issue with people not having insurance than drug prices. These high prices are never actually payed by the insurance companies, hospital, or government systems, they are used as the beginning price negotiations. A large government system can bring the prices down as they have a lot of bargaining power. So even just having that as an option is good, you don't even need to get rid of private insurance to improve the system.

Also while I'm not agains these discussions but is this, the gaming forum section, really the best place to discuss this?
Actually, a large swathe of the US is pretty much indistinguishable from a 3rd world country.

Solace

Dog's Best Friend
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So, like what if someone can't afford it? They just have to die or what? How does that work?

gnexus

Mar 30, 2018
Americans are just footing the high cost of medication because the POOR, SAD rest of the world aren't paying their fair share. Trust me, I'll make sure we will get a great deal because America first.

mentok15

Dec 20, 2017
Australia
Actually, a large swathe of the US is pretty much indistinguishable from a 3rd world country.
Have you actually got any evidence for this claim? The poorest US state, Mississippi, has a GDP per capita of $31K, compared to somewhere like Bangladesh which is $2.1k. Mississippi has a higher GDP per capita than Spain or Italy.

Jan 16, 2018
Hope's Peak Academy
Shouldn't this be in EtcetEra? It's more about the cost of Isulin then the Xbox itself.

Have you actually got any evidence for this claim? The poorest US state, Mississippi, has a GDP per capita of $31K, compared to somewhere like Bangladesh which is $2.1k. Mississippi has a higher GDP per capita than Spain or Italy.
It's more of the fact that the US is lacking things other 1st world countries have and use, even though we should are equal or better than them GDP wise.

mentok15

Dec 20, 2017
Australia
Shouldn't this be in EtcetEra? It's more about the cost of Isulin then the Xbox itself.
Because since the 2016 US election everywhere online seems to be used to push peoples political ideology.

It's more of the fact that the US is lacking things other 1st world countries have and use, even though we should are equal or better than them GDP wise.
Outside of healthcare, which I agree about (but it's still no where near as bad as an actual developing nations), what else? Many in the US seems to have a distorted view of other developed nations.

Sutton Dagger

Oct 27, 2017
Serious question for those with T1D living in the US, how do you actually afford that? That would be essentially half of my fortnightly take home pay if I converted it to AUD.... I'd be living in poverty.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
Yeah, if I ever got diagnosed with diabetes and needed insulin like that, I would most likely try to find a way to move to another country or, more like, just kill myself. I'm not going through all that mess one way or another. Hopefully I never have, but I do have several family members who have some form of diabetes, so it's very possible.

Oct 25, 2017
The point I was trying to make (not very elegant), was that if you bring up the fact that healthcare is a human right, then people throw on 1000 other things which could be considered a human right. That's why I steer away from that argument, and instead focus on the insanity of the american healthcare system as it currently is.

I mean the things you listed *are* human rights. Listing other human rights that many people are denied is not a counter argument to universal healthcare, it's just showing how deeply and broadly fucked up the system is.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
You can still get cheap generics and vouchers but yeah, the situation is completely fucked. Not having health care can be a death sentence if you can't afford your meds out of pocket and can't find any other options.

Also, Monster is really passing up some good cross promotion potential with their energy drinks here.