blodtann

Jun 7, 2018
I mean the things you listed *are* human rights. Listing other human rights that many people are denied is not a counter argument to universal healthcare, it's just showing how deeply and broadly fucked up the system is.

"But where do we stop?!?!, is everything supposed to be free??" That's what I'm tired off :)

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I live in a country with universal healthcare that I support, and think the US should have too. Some f the posts here are a bit extreme saying the US is some failed developing country. Has anyone saying that spent any time in an actual undeveloped nation?

And as someone who knows the industry a bit it's more an issue with people not having insurance than drug prices. These high prices are never actually payed by the insurance companies, hospital, or government systems, they are used as the beginning price negotiations. A large government system can bring the prices down as they have a lot of bargaining power. So even just having that as an option is good, you don't even need to get rid of private insurance to improve the system.

Also while I'm not agains these discussions but is this, the gaming forum section, really the best place to discuss this?

For insulin (and many other drugs) specifically this isn't the case. Regardless of insurance you're still getting screwed by the whole system.

We know single payer is the most effective system and there is no good reason every politician shouldn't be on board.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
What in the world, what a sad state of affairs. That's America and Big Pharma for you.

And hear, hear. Thanks God for the NHS. Even if Boris and his fucking cronies want to relax shit and bring more privatisation in so more American companies can enter the space to increase prices. Fuck Boris.

Dakhil

Mar 26, 2019
Orange County, CA
Outside of healthcare, which I agree about (but it's still no where near as bad as an actual developing nations), what else? Many in the US seems to have a distorted view of other developed nations.
Outside of a couple of large cities, a well established public transportation system (trains, subways, buses, etc.) seems to be almost nonexistent or very poorly run. And as a result, owning a car is a complete necessity, especially if your workplace is rather far away from where you live. And the US is the only developed country in the world where there's no federal law mandating paid sick days and paid holidays.

judavc

Oct 27, 2017
Because since the 2016 US election everywhere online seems to be used to push peoples political ideology.

Outside of healthcare, which I agree about (but it's still no where near as bad as an actual developing nations), what else? Many in the US seems to have a distorted view of other developed nations.
I'm colombian and i would say we have better healthcare than the US

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Because since the 2016 US election everywhere online seems to be used to push peoples political ideology.

Dude I can go to a public hospital in a few hours and get checked for free, how is my country's healthcare worse than the US one?
Also insulin is free here

mentok15

Dec 20, 2017
Australia
For insulin (and many other drugs) specifically this isn't the case. Regardless of insurance you're still getting screwed by the whole system.

We know single payer is the most effective system and there is no good reason every politician shouldn't be on board.

Thanks for that. Hmm biosimilars right now are far harder to make generics of than traditional chemical based drugs. And yea a gov funded insurance provider would really help with the price due to it having far larger bargaining power than any single private's one.

And while there is some greed involved, drugs are really expensive to develop. It's about $1.5 billion per drug than enters the market.

Outside of a couple of large cities, a well established public transportation system (trains, subways, buses, etc.) seems to be almost nonexistent or very poorly run. And as a result, owning a car is a complete necessity, especially if your workplace is rather far away from where you live. And the US is the only developed country in the world where there's no federal law mandating paid sick days and paid holidays.
I'm Australian and it's similar here, yet no one is called us not first world.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for that. Hmm biosimilars right now are far harder to make generics of than traditional chemical based drugs. And yea a gov funded insurance provider would really help with the price due to it having far larger bargaining power than any single private's one.

And while there is some greed involved, drugs are really expensive to develop. It's about $1.5 billion per drug than enters the market.

Ad mentioned in the video insulin sold in the US has largely been unchanged for almost 40 years. No one is arguing companies shouldn't be able to cover the cost of R&D, many life saving drugs have already done that and yet are sold at a premium simply because the system enables it.

mentok15

Dec 20, 2017
Australia
Except unlike the US, Australia does have federally mandated paid sick days and paid holidays (I'm not just talking about federal holidays by the way).
I'm not saying there's many ways the US couldn't improve, just saying it's not a developed nation is absurd.

Ad mentioned in the video insulin sold in the US has largely been unchanged for almost 40 years. No one is arguing companies shouldn't be able to cover the cost of R&D, many life saving drugs have already done that and yet are sold at a premium simply because the system enables it.
Oh I agree that this thing with insulin shouldn't be occurring, I'm very surprised it is how it currently is. Something does need to be done about it. The extra stuff I talked about is because I see people talking about an industry they don't really understand, which can get a little annoying.

Deleted member 32135

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
So, if you can't pay 324$ a week, you are let to die?

I can't even believe this is allowed. No having a free national health system is already fucked up and should put a big warning into every country considered "developed", but I couldn't imagine it was as bad as this...

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
Americans are literally being killed by the fucking Pharma companies, you know the ones that make the medicine to save them from dying. what the fuck???

ZeldaGalaxy94

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Sweden
$324?
That almost half of what I get in "can't-work-disability-money" each month
(Around €700)
And $1296 each month is even double of that
No wonder americans are so crazy scared of losing their jobs right now

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
yeah straight bullshit. I luckily don't have any medication I need on a continual basis, but I have friends who have talked about (not sure if they did) going to mexico to buy it for 1/3 of the price.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
Both Disney World and Universal Orlando uses Cigna as their healthcare provider with the former having a Union.

Disney's Cigna Open Access Plus has:
Deductible:$1200/1600
Preventive Care: plan pays 100%
Emergency/ Urgent : Pays 70% after deductible and a separate deductible of $150 for Emergency and $50(Waived if admitted)
Behavioral Health: Plan pays 70% a after deductible for in and out patients
Out of pocket is :$4000/8000

Prescription drugs

Generic: $4 copay
Brand: Pay 35% copay up of a cost up to $80

Home Delivery:
Generic: $8 copay
Brand: Pay 30% up to a cost of $160

Universal's Cigna Open Access Plus
Deductible: $300
Urgent Care:$40
Preventive Care: $0
Emergency Care: $150
Behavioral Health: 10%
Out of pocket is :$4700/9000

Prescription drugs
In network pharmacies
Generic: $15
Brand: $30 + 15% Max per Rx: $85
Brand(Not preferred): $50 + 15% Max per Rx: $100

Anyone outside the US following? I really hate writing all this down and don't want to repeat this.

I can't say how it is living in the Europe or Canada but stay away from the US.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Have you actually got any evidence for this claim? The poorest US state, Mississippi, has a GDP per capita of $31K, compared to somewhere like Bangladesh which is $2.1k. Mississippi has a higher GDP per capita than Spain or Italy.
GDP per capita isn't a very useful metric when measuring the quality of life.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
America is a joke of a country, don't know how Americans put up with that bs
How do (white) Americans put up with their family members dying from COVID19?

How America has been reacting to this pandemic really has become the tell-all sign about this nation.

So, if you can't pay 324$ a week, you are let to die?

I can't even believe this is allowed. No having a free national health system is already fucked up and should put a big warning into every country considered "developed", but I couldn't imagine it was as bad as this...
It is apparent that who ever is on top of the food chain in this world are the ones who set the rules and expectations.

The folly of empires.

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
Yeah, the price of insulin in the USA is absolutely ridicolous and more often than not, on subreddits like the one for T1Ds you see folks actually having to ask for help in affording it or trying to get their hands on cheaper insulin to get by.

Which sometimes... doesn't end well. It's absolutely fucked when you consider T1Ds have no means of returning to a prediabetic state like T2Ds have as their pancreas just decided to stop producing insulin altogether for no known reason, so the price of insulin is effectively is the price of their life and many T1Ds in USA struggle with affording it. They don't have a choice not to bother as the alternative is death, and that is absolutely fucked. That's why I also hate when folks drop jokes about diabetes given how much these folks struggle, but that's a story for another thread I suppose.

PS: To clarify, T1D is Type 1 Diabetic, T2D is Type 2 Diabetic.

RobbRivers

Jan 3, 2018
Omg , I have no words for the health system in the US :S, consumer goods seem to be cheap, but healthcare is really expensive. People should have access to free healthcare, and education, and also the right to a decent housing (this is whats puts "more or less" in the Spanish constitution.) Its a pitty that houses are becoming really steep (In comparison to salaries) in the last 5-15 years though.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
All the fuckwits who are screwing up the country are the ones with the guns. So if it ever comes that they can't win elections through voter suppression, they'll just revolt and kill everyone on the opposition. That's what "freedom" really means to them. Cause they piss all over everything else in the constitution.

I wish their was a hell so people like Rupert Murdoch could burn in it for eternity. These rich billion fucks just couldn't pay a little bit of taxes, so they trained all their money on creating mass propaganda machines to get the stupid, uneducated mouth breathers to vote against their interests and blame the Democrats for their shitty lives.

This is true, though many people on the other side have been arming themselves recently, especially minorities. If push comes to shove, there's no doubt even leftists will have no issue taking up arms.

And yes, it's amazing how easily the rich were able to turn the poor/middle class against each other in order to maintain their wealth and dominance. Though a large part of that is due to racism; it's one hell of a drug.

Have you actually got any evidence for this claim? The poorest US state, Mississippi, has a GDP per capita of $31K, compared to somewhere like Bangladesh which is $2.1k. Mississippi has a higher GDP per capita than Spain or Italy.

Have you been to rural Mississippi? I have.

I can assure you that it's quite poor. I'm talking "people living in run-down mobile homes, sometimes without running water" poor. Same goes for Alabama and other surrounding states.

There are parts of the US that are definitely analogous to developing countries. Even the UN said as much.

America is very much a Tale of Two Cities. Yes, there plenty of areas that flourish and have very high standards of living like much of the west coast and the north east (if you can afford it of course), but there are also areas with extreme poverty (parts of the south east, areas of the midwest) much like you'd see in less fortunate countries. GDP doesn't mean anything when the wealth disparity is as wide as it is in the US.

The Boat

Oct 28, 2017
First of all, "3rd world" and "developing country" are very broad terms that aren't good to describe a country's reality and it's being used pretty much as shorthand for a place that's poor or has terrible living conditions.

There's a lot more than GDP to a country. We could compare gun death numbers, quality of education, obesity, infant mortality, number of incarcerated people, life expectancy etc. There are a lot of metrics where USA falls behind so called 3rd world countries (it's definitely the case for infant mortality off the top of my hand). In fact, I'm pretty sure it's the developed country with the highest levels of poverty, or close to that.

Anyway, my point is actually that there is a lot of extreme poverty in the US and there are many areas where living conditions are atrocious. My phone's screen is busted so getting sources right now is hard, but there are plenty of towns, especially in the South, that are poor as fuck. Rural areas and towns that relied on factory jobs suffered a lot, for example. I'm sure there are communities near the border in Texas that live without running water or electricity in terrible houses. Does Flint, Michigan even have clean water yet? What about the response to disasters in places like Puerto Rico or New Orleans? These weren't the responses of a rich, developed country.

Roads, dams, railroads, bridges- USA's infrastructure is crumbling, as is the intellectual one, considering the state the education is in. It's a gigantic country, with a lot of space for people to live isolated and to be ignored by the authorities and media. US has been growing by concentrating capital at the top (aka GDP means jack shit) to the detriment of almost everything else and that has created a lot of abject poverty.

Mzen

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Both Disney World and Universal Orlando uses Cigna as their healthcare provider with the former having a Union.

Disney's Cigna Open Access Plus has:
Deductible:$1200/1600
Preventive Care: plan pays 100%
Emergency/ Urgent : Pays 70% after deductible and a separate deductible of $150 for Emergency and $50(Waived if admitted)
Behavioral Health: Plan pays 70% a after deductible for in and out patients
Out of pocket is :$4000/8000

Prescription drugs

Generic: $4 copay
Brand: Pay 35% copay up of a cost up to $80

Home Delivery:
Generic: $8 copay
Brand: Pay 30% up to a cost of $160

Universal's Cigna Open Access Plus
Deductible: $300
Urgent Care:$40
Preventive Care: $0
Emergency Care: $150
Behavioral Health: 10%
Out of pocket is :$4700/9000

Prescription drugs
In network pharmacies
Generic: $15
Brand: $30 + 15% Max per Rx: $85
Brand(Not preferred): $50 + 15% Max per Rx: $100

Anyone outside the US following? I really hate writing all this down and don't want to repeat this.

I can't say how it is living in the Europe or Canada but stay away from the US.
I almost got a cerebral aneurism after trying to process all of that random jargon. Good thing is that I can call an ambulance, get surgery and any other medical treatments needed for said aneurism, enjoy my undoubtedly long stay at the hospital and come home with most, if not all expenses covered. The same applies to everyone in this country.

From someone who was born and raised in Portugal and now lives in Germany, two countries with fantastic healthcare, I can't begin to express how sorry I am that you are in that shitty situation. Hope you folks manage to turn that around someday.

Last edited:

Radec

Oct 26, 2017
I can't believe some people still believes USA is the best country in the world where it's screwing up it's own citizens.

Fishsnot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan
Poor, poor woman. :(
How sad that healthcare has come to this.
My heart goes out to her and everyone else who has to pay such ridiculous prices to stay alive.

Fishsnot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan
www.fiercepharma.com

Lilly CEO David Ricks snags $17.2M pay package for 2018, a 9% hike

Eli Lilly CEO David Ricks, in his second year on the job, snared a larger pay package than those of a few of his Big Pharma peers. And it's not far shy of the amount his predecessor, John Lechleiter, hauled in for his final—and eighth—year as Lilly chief.

Makes me want to vomit.
Big Pharma need to be brought down.
Changes in this world have to be made before it's to late for everyone.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
I can't believe some people still believes USA is the best country in the world where it's screwing up it's own citizens.

EcG1jS3WoAEteAg.png

Achtung

Oct 25, 2017
Yep Medicine in the US is a disaster... I suffer from Psoriatic Arthritis and Psoriasis. My base medicine is $4400 a MONTH... luckily through the company I get it from it is far cheaper.. for 3 years.. then I am screwed or I have to swtich. It is evil... if I do not get this shot once a month my body is covered in scales and every joint in my body starts to freeze up and fill me with horrific pain.

Oh and the healthcare plan I have paid into for 22 years at work and hardly every used.. Denied the shit out of me instantly when submitted.

Olrac

Oct 26, 2017
California
As a Californian, there are times where I wish we had a legal path to secede from the US. With one of the top 10 economies in the world and Silicon Valley, I think we could figure out shit like Universal Healthcare and sensible gun control.