• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018

The new Xbox podcast made by resetera members Kaironaut Shpeshal Ed FUNKNOWN iXi and Sikamikanico had a special guest. They've recorded a three hour podcast with the creative director at Xbox Game Studios who has worked on games like Red Alert, Killer Instinct and Age of Empires: Definitive Edition.

During the podcast they talk Monty Python, Ori, Killer Instinct, Red Alert and Age of Empires. I've tried to make some timestamps:
3:30 - Start of Adam's career
20:00 - Red Alert (Tanya, the Einstein scenes and more)
25:00 - Killer Instinct (Double Helix, Iron Galaxy, netcode of fighting games, Smash & Banjo)
34:50 - Biggest pet peeve game design principle
39:45 - Ori and Moon Studios
1:01:00 - Age of Empires
1:12:10 - Xbox and Age of Empires?
1:12:12 - Controllers
1:19:00 - Xbox and Age of Empires again :P
1:24:00 - Gears 5
1:28:20 - Xbox Game Studios - length of game development
1:42:50 - Transparency in gaming industry, cost of making games

Last edited:

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Nice one XboxEra podscast people!

Sikamikanico , how has your wife never a) watched Monty Python and b) not find them funny?

Like, what. This doesn't conceptually exist in my head. How. What.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017

MrOblong

Oct 27, 2017
I tuned in for the Red Alert 2 segment, and I enjoyed it- but I thought I should point out that Adam only actually refers to the original Red Alert, not 2.

I'm really craving those C&C remasters!

OP
OP
SuikerBrood

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
He confirmed AOE4 reveal for X019

Yeah, Aaron Greenberg also did that a couple of weeks ago. I'm really excited to see what Relic is doing.

I tuned in for the Red Alert 2 segment, and I enjoyed it- but I thought I should point out that Adam only actually refers to the original Red Alert, not 2.

I'm really craving those C&C remasters!

Don't know how this worked in my head. Lol.
I heard Tanya and thought of RA2, but she was in RA1 too of course..

Jimmy1984

Banned
May 19, 2018
This Is what he said during Q&A session (by reddit source)

Essentially Adam Isgreen (the creative director of AOE franchise) was asked about AOE4 and gave couple of vague high level answers.

He didn't confirm that they will reveal it at XO19, instead went along with the "wink wink nudge nudge" method that we got from Gamescom.

About development, he said that everyone (in-house supervising studio at MS, Relic, FE, and Tantalus in Australia) takes it super seriously to develop the games (3 DEs + AOE4). They want to preserve and stay true to that feeling which makes AOE what it is.

Coming from the background of developing C&C and Red Alert franchise, Isgreen mentioned about bringing mechanics and ideas from other RTS games to AOE, for example, right-click-and-drag map scrolling. He could not withstand the archaic method of moving the mouse to the edge of the screen. According to him, the new scrolling mechanics is in all the DEs, but not AOE4 yet which frustrates (jokingly) him a lot.

There's also mentioning of some innovations to spice up some mundane and boring part of the genre. One example he talked about is how the resource gathering is usually very boring, but in Red Alert 2 they made it more interesting by introducing different harvesting trucks to different factions (teleporting Allies, armored Soviet). Relic and he have had a lot of meetings to discuss what kind of ideas and innovations are worth the effort and budget to put in the game. They don't want to "bring change for changes' sake".

All 4 games had pre-alpha (maybe beta, I forgot the terminology he used) playtesting already. For AOE4, some die-hard fans of the old games were quite shocked and "intense" to changes made to AOE4 (sounds like AOE4 will be kind of revolutionary to the franchise). He used the analogy of "7 stages of grief" (I believe it should be 5 stages but whatever) saying that those fans became softer and more welcoming to the changes later on.

To summarise, he was extremely evasive on AOE4 saying that he didn't want to leak anything about the game (time setting, new mechanics etc.). But one thing is quite obvious TO ME: AOE4 will be a quite different game. Hopefully we can soon find out whether it can capture the magic of previous games or not at XO19.

Jimmy1984

Banned
May 19, 2018
I don't like These parts
There's also mentioning of some innovations to spice up some mundane and boring part of the genre. One example he talked about is how the resource gathering is usually very boring, but in Red Alert 2 they made it more interesting by introducing different harvesting trucks to different factions (teleporting Allies, armored Soviet). Relic and he have had a lot of meetings to discuss what kind of ideas and innovations are worth the effort and budget to put in the game. They don't want to "bring change for changes' sake".

All 4 games had pre-alpha (maybe beta, I forgot the terminology he used) playtesting already. For AOE4, some die-hard fans of the old games were quite shocked and "intense" to changes made to AOE4 (sounds like AOE4 will be kind of revolutionary to the franchise). He used the analogy of "7 stages of grief" (I believe it should be 5 stages but whatever) saying that those fans became softer and more welcoming to the changes later on.

It seems AOE4 Is going to be more different from the other titles.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I didn't listen to the episode in question yet but I've been listening from the start and I love this show. I went in expecting early episode / shit show type atompshere but nah you guys were great.

I also like how it is a Xbox podcast....by video game fans. What I mean by that is yeah....you may love your Xbox and prefer their controllers (elite all the way) but you also have switches and ps4's so that aspect is relatable to me. Usually when I listen to a podcast for a Xbox or a PlayStation there is this annoying under tone of fanboyism.

So yeah I have no cons yet, I'm not listening on the iTunes app but I'll try to set a reminder to leave a nice review later today. Great job

Sikamikanico

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't listen to the episode in question yet but I've been listening from the start and I love this show. I went in expecting early episode / shit show type atompshere but nah you guys were great.

I also like how it is a Xbox podcast....by video game fans. What I mean by that is yeah....you may love your Xbox and prefer their controllers (elite all the way) but you also have switches and ps4's so that aspect is relatable to me. Usually when I listen to a podcast for a Xbox or a PlayStation there is this annoying under tone of fanboyism.

So yeah I have no cons yet, I'm not listening on the iTunes app but I'll try to set a reminder to leave a nice review later today. Great job

This is genuinely really great feedback, that I will most certainly highlight to the guys that devote their spare time to put this together. We really did (as we said in episode 1) want to talk about a platform that a lot of folks enjoy, but that perhaps we felt was...underserved. It's great to hear from folks like you that we're mostly pulling that off in the right way.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
This is genuinely really great feedback, that I will most certainly highlight to the guys that devote their spare time to put this together. We really did (as we said in episode 1) want to talk about a platform that a lot of folks enjoy, but that perhaps we felt was...underserved. It's great to hear from folks like you that we're mostly pulling that off in the right way.
You know what it is, you guys are the only podcast where I don't find myself saying "well what about this?" Because you guys touch on it. Probaby because you don't work for a publication and don't have to watch what you say.

Up to the gamescom episode and I think you guys almost got close to what could be a good topic on the show. You guys were being critical of Microsoft big reveals (too corporate, don't know how to play the game and play to their audience etc etc, all things I agree with. Phil is as hip as we will ever get) followed by "what if Microsoft had power stone" (which I think would be a great gamepass game)

The topic would be...who exactly is the Xbox Audience? What type of gamers are they? Are they really just stereotypical Halo/Gears/Forza?

New aquistions show they want to Branch out but will the audience buy those games? Or is it simply to bring over people they lost at the start of this gen. For example....now at 40 I have become the stereotypical Xbox gamer. I focus on games like Destiny and shy away from single player JRPG's and other wide net type games. But I'm still proned to try the type of games I haven't played in 10 years thanks to Gamepass (devil may Cry 5 for example)

So who is the Xbox Audience?

Oct 27, 2017
First time listening to the podcast. Really enjoyed the show and Adam was a great guest. Going back and checking out the earlier eps. Good job all putting this together.

Sikamikanico

Oct 25, 2017
You know what it is, you guys are the only podcast where I don't find myself saying "well what about this?" Because you guys touch on it. Probaby because you don't work for a publication and don't have to watch what you say.

Up to the gamescom episode and I think you guys almost got close to what could be a good topic on the show. You guys were being critical of Microsoft big reveals (too corporate, don't know how to play the game and play to their audience etc etc, all things I agree with. Phil is as hip as we will ever get) followed by "what if Microsoft had power stone" (which I think would be a great gamepass game)

The topic would be...who exactly is the Xbox Audience? What type of gamers are they? Are they really just stereotypical Halo/Gears/Forza?

New aquistions show they want to Branch out but will the audience buy those games? Or is it simply to bring over people they lost at the start of this gen. For example....now at 40 I have become the stereotypical Xbox gamer. I focus on games like Destiny and shy away from single player JRPG's and other wide net type games. But I'm still proned to try the type of games I haven't played in 10 years thanks to Gamepass (devil may Cry 5 for example)

So who is the Xbox Audience?

It's a good topic. We'll add it to our list!

First time listening to the podcast. Really enjoyed the show and Adam was a great guest. Going back and checking out the earlier eps. Good job all putting this together.

Thanks!

Thanks to you too!

Adam said There were betas for all of AOE games.

So this clues was true

This could confirm a different Setting for next AOE. Not WW1/2

Adam gave nothing away, I'll be intrigued to see what the game is going to be.