• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
No, fishing is fine in 3. I've cleared the mini game master trophy in the remaster, never had any problems myself. Can't comment on the issues your having, but I have managed to catch every fish fine so its definitely not broken.

welp, turns out you have to throw all logic.... when the fish pull to the left... you have to also pull your rod to the left... that goes against all logic of fishing in real life and in games...

you always pull in the opposite direction of the fish... but nope in yakuza 3 you have to go in the same direction or it doesn't work

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
welp, turns out you have to throw all logic.... when the fish pull to the left... you have to also pull your rod to the left... that goes against all logic of fishing in real life and in games...

you always pull in the opposite direction of the fish... but nope in yakuza 3 you have to go in the same direction or it doesn't work
Well that explains it. I only ever play fishing in Yakuza games, which is why it feels natural to me!

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
Is the Majima side story in Kiwami 2 worth playing? I just finished the main story and want to start Y3...

MYeager

Oct 30, 2017

In most fishing games, and I play a lot of them, it is similar actually. You move in the direction the fish is moving to decrease line tension and the other way to wear it out, but as most fishing games it's managing line tension.

Y3 does fishing better than any of the rest of the series.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So for Kiryu in 5 I think I'm gonna go for all the "story" beats in his part and then move on...

So, to me that's...

* Main story ofc
* Komaki and Cooking Guy Training (done)
* Hostess Riku (currently C Rank)
* All the Race Missions. Probably won't worry about all the taxi missions, just the ones involving the Devil guys.
* Substories

That seems pretty doable, and gives me a decent amount of content with plot attached. Anything else folks would recommend I check out in his chapter before moving on?

PerrierChaud

Feb 24, 2019
Edit: Woops, issue solved.

I finished Y3 again and I don't think I'm gonna bother with the hostess sidecontent this time around, there's way too much grind anyway. Time to plat Yakuza 5 now.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Platinuming Yakuza seems crazy.

Like...one trophy is 100 completion. I couldn't do that. I thought the trophies were more manageable than the in-game completion lol.

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
j7l79FZ.jpg

Kiryu's delivery service delivers people! Maybe these are like those magician case things of illusion?

What is up with fishing? I caught my blowfish pal no problem but ever since then I'm missing the ridiculously tight press X prompt or just failing in general. I never fished much in these games so its prolly always been like that. I like the reeling part of fishing. The line casting, applying bait, and that narrow press X part can all go away though.

On another note whats with this game an verbs? The new localizations coming off as pretty weird in places. I got a "snot covered" Toughness ZZ from a fight, a "sparkling" 5000 yen, a "heavy" squishy ball (that doesn't even make sense!) and so on. These are really stickin' out to me cause I dun remember any of the previous games doing this.

Having never fished irl I always just rolled with the games "follow the fish rather than fight it" way its setup. Never knew thats the flatout wrong way of fishing! Wonder why they chose ta do it that way.

PerrierChaud

Feb 24, 2019
Platinuming Yakuza seems crazy.

Like...one trophy is 100 completion. I couldn't do that. I thought the trophies were more manageable than the in-game completion lol.
Y4 was OK. The most boring part is the grind to finish the hostess maker mini-game but otherwise it's fine—at least that's how it was on PS3. Y3 I just ain't feeling it now.

And I just saw you don't get the trophy for clearing Yakuza 5 on normal difficulty if you play the game on hard, that's just ridiculous now.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
I never did a platinum for yakuza (or for most games really)

I truly 100% the game when you finish every sidequests and story mini-games and then fight amon

i never do more than that

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah that's what I'm planning to do...focus on every element of the game that involves a story.

I don't care about like mastering darts.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I just started 0 on a whim last night, my first yakuza game
I wish I started with it.

I watched an LP of it and it's good first game...only two characters, the main plot is good about introducing you to all the side activities, and the story is a prequel.

Though some folks are a bit annoyed with the plot I know because so much shit happens in 0 it makes the plot of later games in the canon kind of odd when none of it is mentioned.

Edit: I really like the EXP system too compared to what 5 has...your money works as your EXP as well which is neat. Really fits the bubble economy setting.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yakuza trophies are basically the only trophies I care about... I've ended up managing to 100% all of them bar 1HD due to that evil Haruka home run challenge. I really need to retry it again sometime... It should be doable. Its certainly a grind/difficult if you don't like/don't understand the rules on a few things but I've managed to learn everything bar Shogi, which can be cheesed in each game. Only thing I really, really passionately disliked was cat fighting in 0, its not completely RNG based, but it is pretty joyless when it comes to clearing it, especially 10 times.

Though some folks are a bit annoyed with the plot I know because so much shit happens in 0 it makes the plot of later games in the canon kind of odd when none of it is mentioned.
I'm... confused. How would a game (Yakuza 0) influence plot details in 1-5 when it was released AFTER those games. None of its mentioned because they'd never written any of it yet.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's what I meant.

I mean the stuff that happens in 0 is a bit incongruous with the plot of games released first, but in canon came before.

Obviously this is an issue with any prequel but I noticed 0 had some kind of extreme moments, or that's my impression from the Let's Play and the veteran Yakuza fans playing it.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
0s plot is a mix of being self contained (like basically the rest of the series) while it does set the ground work for a few things in later games (most notably what the plot of land everyone fighting for is used for eventually). Plus its just nice to see better written versions of a few characters popping up and getting more screen time (I know people like 0's Majima, but I much prefer Dead Souls style crazy Majima, but I loved how Shimano is fleshed out in 0 personality wise).

Kiwami 1, 2 and 6 (and even 7 to a tiny extent) all reference side stuff from 0, but from the main plot, there's really not that much that needed addressing in future games.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
I finished Yakuza 3 yesterday. I really loved the game from start to finish. Kiryu is such a likeable character.

And that kind of ties into my problem with Yakuza 4 so far...

Akiyama and Saejima just aren't nearly as interesting. I'm currently in the middle of part 2. Akiyama's part took so long to get interesting. By the end I was intrigued by the whole Lily mystery, and I'm still excited to see where that ends up, but it was a slog to go through. Similarly, Saejima's part was kind of tame as well, but it at least got interesting much quicker: When he finally escapes prison and meets Kiryu and Haruka. That was a really great scene for all three characters.

I made it back to Kamurocho as Saejima. So far this is not really that interesting either. I know they introduce one more playable character outside of Kiryu in this game, and to me it's a bit overkill. I get wanting to spice the series up a bit after three games of Kiryu, but he's just a really hard character to top - at least for me.

Dlanor A. Knox

▲ Legend ▲
Apr 6, 2018
So, I've been picking up locker keys in Yakuza 5 with Haruka but didn't open any of them because they're pretty much useless to her, I've also been told (and looked online) I could open them with Akiyama after, but I can't open any of them?

Did they fix that with the remaster? :(

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
So, I've been picking up locker keys in Yakuza 5 with Haruka but didn't open any of them because they're pretty much useless to her, I've also been told (and looked online) I could open them with Akiyama after, but I can't open any of them?

Did they fix that with the remaster? :(
You can't trade keys between any characters, at least not in the main story. Only way to have mitigated this was to not have Haruka pick them up in the first place as in the story, you only get a shared item box between the four guys at the end of the game. So your stuck I'm afraid. There's a chance that you get a complete item box in Premium Adventure mode though, so you could open the lockers as Haruka, put them in a shared locker in PA+ and then swap to the other characters to access the items but I'm not sure if this will actually work. But as it stands, your stuck for the duration of the story. This is only really a problem if you want to 100% the game, what with modding materials sometimes being exclusive to certain lockers.

Dlanor A. Knox

▲ Legend ▲
Apr 6, 2018
You can't trade keys between any characters, at least not in the main story. Only way to have mitigated this was to not have Haruka pick them up in the first place as in the story, you only get a shared item box between the four guys at the end of the game. So your stuck I'm afraid. There's a chance that you get a complete item box in Premium Adventure mode though, so you could open the lockers as Haruka, put them in a shared locker in PA+ and then swap to the other characters to access the items but I'm not sure if this will actually work. But as it stands, your stuck for the duration of the story. This is only really a problem if you want to 100% the game, what with modding materials sometimes being exclusive to certain lockers.

Crap, I shouldn't have picked them up. :<

Well hopefully the shared locker in PA works.

Thanks!

Edit: Well nevermind, turns out that
once you can swap between Akiyama and Haruka at will, you can open the lockers with the keys you picked up as Haruka.

Last edited:

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Crap, I shouldn't have picked them up. :<

Well hopefully the shared locker in PA works.

Thanks!

Edit: Well nevermind, turns out that
once you can swap between Akiyama and Haruka at will, you can open the lockers with the keys you picked up as Haruka.
Ah, maybe it was changed then... as I swear that didn't happen in the original (unless it was opening the locker as Haruka messed you up. Oh well, worked out fine either way! That's good to know for future reference.

Fuck I just remembered VF2 is on the completion list for Y5. That's not gonna be easy to beat.
Actually that's cheesable. You need to go to... Fukuoka? I think? Or Nagoya... the arcade machines in different regions run different versions of VF2 (version 2.0 or 2.1 I think) and different difficulties. You basically want to find the easy cab running the 2.1 version of the game and pick Jeffrey - and then spam his ass attack move (its forward+R1/R2?) Jeff leaps forward at the enemy ass first - and they either won't block the move and get hit, or do block and get pushed back. You get ring outs super easy and can even beat Dural really easy this way.

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
Playing through Y3 for the first time as well. While it took me five minutes to get adjusted (coming from Kiwami 2, Y3 feels a bit more stiff) I'm just kicking dudes around in Okinawa.

I like casual Kiryu; he looks so relaxed as uncle Kaz. Like the Okinawa folks too.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
These games still hold up great graphically. Particularly some nice colors found in Yakuza 3. Here are two 4K shots I took from my PS4 Pro.
YAKUZA_3_20200216203142-_.jpg

YAKUZA_5_20200216183200-_.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
Just hit the village part in Yakuza 5. Saejima is still so damn good. You really feel like a beast when using him. Particularly with throwing people around.

I wish Yakuza 8 would give us more playable Saejima.

Oct 25, 2017
I just started playing the series with Kiwami (I know 0 is the preferred starting point, but I already had it from PS+).

Loving it so far, even though the 2005 Design is super prevalent.

They really went all out on the budget for skin pore technology.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
After about 17 hours in Yakuza 3 I can safely say that this is the roughest of the modern Yakuza games in terms of quality-of-life improvements, aside from maybe Dead Souls. Things I'm glad they fixed in later titles:
  • lack of hold-to-walk button
  • only 16 slots for inventory, including equipped items
  • once your inventory is full, you can't buy anything or pick up most things without running to a save point to empty things out (but if you're opening lockers you can send things to your item box no problem, go figure)
  • you can only eat one thing at a time in restaurants
  • ...and it just gives you a tiny bit of XP
Still very playable for the most part, and none of this is quite as annoying as struggling through multiple layers of menus in Kamiyama's truck in Dead Souls, never mind the many other problems with Dead Souls. And the addition of substories on the map (or most of them anyways) is a very welcome improvement.

Anyone know what's up with Komaki?

Someone earlier in this thread (I think) mentioned how easy it is to break Y3's combat if you get his moves early via training, making stuff like Kanda a breeze. Which implied to me that I could get Komaki training before Kanda, but I couldn't figure out how. There's a bunch of punks outside where I think he's located but after triggering the initial substory marker nothing happened. I'm past the Kanda fight now and I'm wondering if I missed something.

Also

If I didn't do all the dog training substories with Mame, am I screwed out of them now? I forgot what it was like to play a Yakuza game that locked you out of substories.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
The Mame side stories aren't missable, just do 'em later. And as for Komaki's stuff, I forget exactly what you need to do to trigger the next bit (I used a FAQ myself) but its possible to do it as soon as you trigger it in chapter 4/5 before you fight Kanda. If you need any info on 3, just check out ThePatrick's guide on GameFaqs as its the best English source of info for that game.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Anyone else feel that Y5 was designed with Shinada in mind for being the first protagonist, and after feedback (like below), they switched it around halfway through to make Kiryu the first character you play? Shinada's gameplay is the simplest and his story is the most lowkey/slow to kick into gear. I assume the response to Y4 - where Kiryu is the least important lead - affected Y5.

I finished Yakuza 3 yesterday. I really loved the game from start to finish. Kiryu is such a likeable character.

And that kind of ties into my problem with Yakuza 4 so far...

Akiyama and Saejima just aren't nearly as interesting. I'm currently in the middle of part 2. Akiyama's part took so long to get interesting. By the end I was intrigued by the whole Lily mystery, and I'm still excited to see where that ends up, but it was a slog to go through. Similarly, Saejima's part was kind of tame as well, but it at least got interesting much quicker: When he finally escapes prison and meets Kiryu and Haruka. That was a really great scene for all three characters.

I made it back to Kamurocho as Saejima. So far this is not really that interesting either. I know they introduce one more playable character outside of Kiryu in this game, and to me it's a bit overkill. I get wanting to spice the series up a bit after three games of Kiryu, but he's just a really hard character to top - at least for me.
Akiyama and Saejima definitely come into their own, they take a while though. You'll get more time with them in the future. Saejima can be a little plain, but Akiyama is one of Kiryu's most consistent boys from 4 onward.

Yippiekai

The Fallen
May 28, 2018
Toulouse, France
Finished the Saejima part and oh boy, it's still as awesome as I remembered.
Y5 story is completely bonkers. It's amazing how stupid the twists are but it believes so much in them that I can't hate the game for it.
That and playing all 5 characters, the sheer number of mini games and the full fledged side stories, everything in the game feels like "the ultimate Yakuza experience" more than 0 or 6.

Anyone know what's up with Komaki?

Someone earlier in this thread (I think) mentioned how easy it is to break Y3's combat if you get his moves early via training, making stuff like Kanda a breeze. Which implied to me that I could get Komaki training before Kanda, but I couldn't figure out how. There's a bunch of punks outside where I think he's located but after triggering the initial substory marker nothing happened. I'm past the Kanda fight now and I'm wondering if I missed something.

Had the same issue and the answer is stupidly simple:

Go west and up the street from the punks. There are hobos there that will talk about the punks and how they attack them and took the Dragon Palace for themselves. After that, go back fight the punks and the Dragon Palace will be open.

Anyone else feel that Y5 was designed with Shinada in mind for being the first protagonist, and after feedback (like below), they switched it around halfway through to make Kiryu the first character you play? Shinada's gameplay is the simplest and his story is the most lowkey/slow to kick into gear. I assume the response to Y4 - where Kiryu is the least important lead - affected Y5.

Feels like they wanted to do a reverse Y4. It's easier to catch the player attention if you start with a character they know.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Kiryu's story as the first part makes way more sense than starting with Shinada - it introduces several main characters and important story points - not least the whole thing regarding the Tojo Clan going to different cities to talk to the local Yakuza to strike deals - that it needs to be first. Otherwise why should I care about the mystery of the Nagoya Family? Why is Daigo specifically sneaking around Nagoya instead of just walking around normally? Those two parts are specifically set up in Fukuoka and Kiryu's chapter. I mean, if you wanted to make Yakuza 5's story even more confusing for a first time player, putting Shinada first would have certainly managed that... Kiryu's the perfect start for the game.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
I shouldn't have picked hard mode in yakuza 3, unlike all the other game in the serie...​

It's not hard... but the ennemies, especially bosses, have waaaaay too much HP
takes forever to beat them

Oct 27, 2017
I shouldn't have picked hard mode in yakuza 3, unlike all the other game in the serie...

It's not hard... but the ennemies, especially bosses, have waaaaay too much HP
takes forever to beat them

Yeah, it just feels like a battle of attrition at times...the bosses block all of your attacks so you can only do a little bit of damage at a time but they can dish out way more. It's exhausting lol.

PerrierChaud

Feb 24, 2019
Actually that's cheesable. You need to go to... Fukuoka? I think? Or Nagoya... the arcade machines in different regions run different versions of VF2 (version 2.0 or 2.1 I think) and different difficulties. You basically want to find the easy cab running the 2.1 version of the game and pick Jeffrey - and then spam his ass attack move (its forward+R1/R2?) Jeff leaps forward at the enemy ass first - and they either won't block the move and get hit, or do block and get pushed back. You get ring outs super easy and can even beat Dural really easy this way.
Thanks for the tip, I'll try it as soon as I can.
Coming to Y5 after playing Y3 on that collection makes the refinements between the two much more accentuated, especially combat wise. Even if I still appreciate 3's take on it, that polished feel is so good - after spending so many hours on the Dragon Engine of Y6, Judement and Kiwami 2 I'd almost forgot how good can the Yakuza Engine be at its best. I'm this close to start another run of Y0 after 5, but I surely shouldn't.

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
I couldn't resist and decided to start Y3 last night. I'm playing on Hard because gotta go hard or go home. I fell asleep through the opening of Chapter 2. It was wordy but I got the gist of what was said. Also, to be fair, was close to 3AM EST so I was ready for bed. I saved as soon as I got control. It feels jarring going from the Dragon Engine back to the PS3 engine and remembering that there's no first-person view camera/fixed camera stuff. At least there's no comically hilarious physics that are so prominent in the Dragon Engine.

Kiryu's face looks goofy in Y3-Y5. I get the devs went for the stoic, expressive face but he looks something out of the Rocky Horror Picture Show. It looks like his eyes are ready to pop out. I'd be horrified to run into him in an empty street in the evening. And it is true what has been said, Heat Actions lack oomph/sounds in this game. It's jarring to say the least.

As for the quality of the Day One Edition case, it's not that bad but I wish it had a lock to keep it closed. I also hate that it's a gloss finish meaning that my fingerprints are quite visible on the case. Lastly, I wish the size of the font from the devs was bigger since it's so tiny to read.

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
10 hours into yakuza 3 and it's just so chill----- maybe too chill?

Also, i picked Normal difficulty after usually doing Hard---- and reading about the bosses just being HP sponges, i think i'm OK with my decision.

Edify

Oct 28, 2017
It makes me genuinely happy seeing people enjoy these games. I picked up the remastered collection a couple of days ago, but due to getting the platinum trophies for the PS3 versions of 3, 4 and 5 last year, I probably won't be playing these remasters for at least a few months.

I know a lot of people were holding off playing 6 until 3, 4 and 5 got remastered so I can't wait for the LTTP threads for that game. 6 has become my favourite Yakuza game and the story is definitely more poignant if you've played 5.

Deleted member 4532

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just bought the Remastered collection after finishing Kiwami 2!
Only downside to 3 so far is that I can't pause cutscenes...