• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
To be honest, the day Nintendo releases a Switch revision, i will buy that and homebrew the shit out of my launchday Switch, but until that day i can just laugh when i read things like people bricking their switches trying to essentially homebrew/pirate homebrew/pirating software.

Thats like trying to put out a fire with a flamethrower.

zychi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Chicago
Any word on emulators yet? My second launch switch is still in box.
Theyre ported, but most ran like crap.

After ScriseM said his cfw wouldnt be out until Pokemon and TX released their free version of their OS, which has some code from ScriseM's stuff,I just updated and moved on. I have an entry point on the current firmware for homebrew and emulators, there isnt any online games coming to Switch that I have to play and want to pay $20/yr to access, since I still have my WiiU and Mk8.

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I thought modding generally came with the expectation that you'd likely lose access to online services.

The whole SX OS situation is bizziare though. Anti-tampering in modding tools? why?

I thought modding generally came with the expectation that you'd likely lose access to online services.

The whole SX OS situation is bizziare though. Anti-tampering in modding tools? why?
It's happened before with the Gateway flashcards for 3DS. In that case, people with legit Gateways did receive bricks. So the homebrew community's concerns here are justified. TX stealing code while filling their product with DRM is the cherry on top.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Nintendo seemed to do better with the security this time, but Nvidia still left that giant exploit open, Nintendo just have no luck with hackers. Looks like Pokemon is gonna have shiny level 100 Arceus's day one again.

petran79

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greece
Instead of risking breaking a Switch, it would be better to spend that money on a tablet with a bluetooth controller for homebrew

Kaneda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So, it seems the situation around SX is actually even worse. First and foremost, the brickcode is actually even worse than we originally suspected AND can absolutely trigger from normal use:

More over, the whole thing is built on stolen code from the normal Switch devs:

So, not only can it brick your console irreparably, it is built on stolen code.

So obvious this was going to happen. Fuck TX.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I salute these early pioneers in switch hacking, in 5 years when switch is dead and hacking has reached psp/wii levels of any idiot can do it the switch is gonna be an amazing console to hack. I had assumed my vita would be the goat tier hypothetica hacked system, switch clearly has it beat in terms of potential for amazing things.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
Give it a year and I'll bet we'll have stable CFW for the Switch as well as an easy access point, so there will be no need to buy an expensive tool.

I understand Nintendo banning online access for consoles that pirate, but it also just encourages them to pirate more because they can no longer use the eShop or any online-related services. If they pirated a little bit before, they're DEFINITELY going to pirate everything now that they're banned and can't do anything.

But I can see why Nintendo would ban people who are tinkering around with the system with mods...this is how people start cheating in games like Mario Kart and Splatoon and ruin the experience for everyone else. Seems like a pretty decent compromise...if you want online and eShop you have to stay vanilla.
A year from now all of the currently known entry points are probably going to be useless on newly sold Switches. Switches with the bootloader bug are a finite resource.

Deleted member 25108

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I don't know what all this means, but I've bought a 3.0.2 switch and I'm going to sit on it for a little while.

At the very least I can flip it and make my money back.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Ironically, the firmware that opens the door for piracy has people trying to crack it, too, but it seems that Team Xecutters anticipated this. According to users like vulnerability researcher Mike Heskin, the firmware has code that bricks consoles that tamper with program, thereby preventing piracy of software that can be used for piracy. When contacted by The Verge, the team behind SX Pro disputed the specifics of the accusation, but admitted that their software has anti-tampering measures.

The ironic hypocrisy of this is almost delicious. "Don't hack my hacking code, bro".

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldnt feel anything if everyone with a modified switch got their console perma bricked to be honest. Anything to deter cheaters in online games, even if most are doing harmless stuff with it.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
The piracy dongle/program has an anti piracy feature to keep their program from being cracked, all while it's built on stolen code? Am I reading this right?

That's some rich-ass, shameless hypocrisy. Homebrew scene enables some genuinely great stuff, but I hope the guys that made this SX OS get their comeuppance.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
Well like for example, there are people in the past who pirate maybe one or two 3DS games but they bought the rest of their games. That is a definite phenomenon that happened in the past.

But now it seems to be an all or nothing kind of deal. I don't fault Nintendo for taking a hardline approach on pirates, but anyone who pirates will now go all the way.
Usually once people get away with pirating one or two games they dont all of a sudden turn around and start purchasing more games. Why pay for something when you already got away with having it for free. If its easy to pirate people will pirate

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I imagine the homebrew program thing has those countermeasures as usually all paths to open homebrew also literally bust open the models of protection for games entirely. Usually when you get "full homebrew" in about the same week, you get pirated software.

Interesting that they've tried to make protections around it, even if they're essentially using...stolen code to even accomplish what they did? How weird.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sounds like things are a little tough for my one favorite feature of a hacked console: ripping physical games.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
But won't the dongle be kind of useless when Mariko units are finally out on the market? That would fracture the scene, since gen 1 Switches will be rare and honestly, most people won't sell their gen 1 Switches (unless something like a Switch Pro arrives).

RashBandicoot

Nov 3, 2017
Honestly the only thing that makes me want to hack my Switch is emulation. With that screen + joy cons (on the go multiplayer) + docked (playing on a TV) I think it would be the ultimate device for emu gaming.

OryoN

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
This whole fiasco is becoming entertaining as heck.

Lot's of seeds were sown. It's harvesting time now... cept, the fruit's quite bitter.

Drain You

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
I just want a fuckin web browser man (._. )

I haven't tried this myself, but supposedly you can just change the dns to somewhere and you can use a full webkit based browser.

https://switchbru.com/dns/

Yea this works just fine. My phone has a finicky charger so once its charging I don't like to touch it so I usually do this at night. Its nice too because it saves the DNS settings so you don't have to enter them every time you use the browser.

On topic seems like the scene is a bit messy, I'm patient though now that I actually own a Switch. Can't wait to see how things progress.

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Yea this works just fine. My phone has a finicky charger so once its charging I don't like to touch it so I usually do this at night. Its nice too because it saves the DNS settings so you don't have to enter them every time you use the browser.

On topic seems like the scene is a bit messy, I'm patient though now that I actually own a Switch. Can't wait to see how things progress.

It'll get messier when the revised hardware fixes the bootflaw.

Then a bunch of people bought malware that can brick their systems... and can't be used on new systems.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
I thought we weren't allowed to discuss piracy here.

You can discuss piracy as news topic / its effect on the industry. You can't post tutorials on how to pirate software or other content that is aimed at helping people pirate. Or discuss personally pirating software. This is laid out pretty explicitly in the rules.

Toad King

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
This is sounding like a repeat of the PS3's hacking woes:
  • A huge exploit breaks the entire system open (the PS3 had it's private signing key for all software leaked due to bad crypto)
  • The hackers who expose the flaw take too long to get out something for homebrew for them (or get sued by Sony for hacking them lol)
  • Piracy teams swoop in to sell their hastily thrown together and sketchy solutions that rely on stolen homebrew hackers' code and have nasty bricking code
  • The homebrew scene splinters and falls apart with tons of different piracy devices needing different homebrew, so they're only used for piracy
  • The console manufacturer eventually fixes their exploit or closes enough holes to make playing newer games harder to do

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I just want to put moonlight on my Switch and not get banned, is that so much to ask when I paid for the damn system and I'm not pirating games or fucking with online

Enrico25

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2018
So, it seems the situation around SX is actually even worse. First and foremost, the brickcode is actually even worse than we originally suspected AND can absolutely trigger from normal use:

More over, the whole thing is built on stolen code from the normal Switch devs:

So, not only can it brick your console irreparably, it is built on stolen code.

IT'S NOT STOLEN CODE. The code is open-source.

Oct 25, 2017
The Switch for emulation has a lot of potential, but everything else pisses me off. People that cheat in online games deserve to have their consoles permanently banned, I hate that shit. I don't feel bad at all about this. It's a shame that it wasn't Nintendo that messed up this time, they really can't catch a break.

I don't care if you could pirate all the games you want, never being able to play online would make the Switch useless to me.