• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A remaster/remake of Demon's Souls might potentially outsold the original. That would be a feat that hasn't been done before... I think.

It would outsell the original release by a ton in my opinion. It's a bit different nowadays than back then and people know how good the Souls series is and everyone talks about Demons' Souls being THE ONE. :) More people would be willing to buy the game. Demons Souls also has been given away with PS+

Bomi-Chan

Nov 8, 2017
this game just got 10 years old, its not that old and i think you can still purchase it online... so why a remaster?

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
I think there is certainly an argument to be made for a proper remake of Demon's Souls.....yes,the game is not that old but the whole soulsborne genre has exploded since it's original release and many would not have played the original,I didn't.
It's obviously a very different project to Shadow of the Colossus if Bluepoint are doing it,but they seem like a very talented studio.There would be a hardcore of people who would denounce anything other than a straight uprez but I think the game deserves more than that.

Kaiser Swayze

Oct 30, 2017
Sign me up. Might we even be able to access the broken archstone? I know that's not really in the spirit of a remaster, but it would be enticing.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
this game just got 10 years old, its not that old and i think you can still purchase it online... so why a remaster?
Can you purchase it on PS4 ? That game needs a PS4 version, and this game deserves to be remastered: (stable 60fps, higher resolution textures, higher polygon count etc).

You want to play Demon's Souls vanilla ? Well play it on PS3. I already did so but I want an improved game (and 60fps) on PS4. Besides, there is no online anymore on the PS3 game.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
Think bigger. PS5 launch title would be more exciting.
Not if I have to wait end of 2020 to play the game. A PS5 launch title doesn't make sense economically for Sony. They'll have a much bigger userbase on PS4 now (because I think the game will be released this year).

PS5 owners could still buy and play the PS4 game with BC.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it needs a remake, it's only 10 years old

Demon's Souls is a great game, and if they can get that running in 4k at 60fps with shorter loading times, that will be the definitive version of the game

In my opinion it's completely unnecessary to take a game barely a decade old and remake it from the ground up, it's a waste of time and resources and if it's passed onto someone else, it probably won't eclipse the original

In my opinion SOTC was also a redundant remake, it's not eclipsed the original (or the remaster) and the remaster still looks and plays great

I much, much prefer remasters that become the definitive way to play a classic game, to someone else remaking a game from the ground up

Imagine if Bloodborne was instead a Demon's Souls remaster, or imagine that the upcoming DMC5 was instead a remake of DMC1. Both of those scenarios would suck. I'd much rather have a definitive remaster and then a new game, in every single situation

Same goes for Zelda. I'd have preferred a definitive Link's Awakening on Switch (switch from GB to GBC version with a toggle, map items to spare buttons, no repetitive messages etc) and then a new top down Zelda game with the new art style, a game free from the constraints of a perfectly playable older title

It's great we're getting Link's Awakening, but it would be greater still to get the classic game in a better state and then a brand new Zelda game

If they were going to remake Demon's Souls, I'd rather they instead get whoever was going to make it to do Demon's Souls 2 instead and then remaster Demon's Souls 1
It's not a "waste of time" if a lot of fans want it. I am a fan and I want it. I can see on twitter and facebook that people want it. So yeah, let's do this. Shadow of the Colossus is amazing and Bluepoints best work. So people like me have the option to get such a Demon's Souls Remaster (like SOTC) and people like you have to option to not buy it if they don't like it. Win Win!

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
It's not a "waste of time" if a lot of fans want it. I am a fan and I want it. I can see on twitter and facebook that people want it. So yeah, let's do this. Shadow of the Colossus is amazing and Bluepoints best work. So people like me have the option to get such a Demon's Souls Remaster (like SOTC) and people like you have to option to not buy it if they don't like it. Win Win!

It would be a loss if we never got DMC5, and instead got DMC1 Remake

It's only win win because we have no idea what games we could have had instead

Overall it's just my opinion, and I know people want remakes, I just think wanting remakes of games where a remaster would be more than good enough is a waste of time

Remaking Dark Souls 1 or Bloodborne from the ground up would be pointless, why is remaking Demon's Souls not? So at what age do we need to remake everything?

In 2029 will we need to remake the Demon's Souls Remake?

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017

Overall it's just my opinion, and I know people want remakes, I just think wanting remakes of games where a remaster would be more than good enough is a waste of time

Remaking Dark Souls 1 or Bloodborne from the ground up would be pointless, why is remaking Demon's Souls not? So at what age do we need to remake everything?

But..... a remake doesn't mean it stops progress on a new game, especially if it's a studio that only does remasters and remakes...

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I honestly don't care if it's a remake or just a straight port. I just want this thing because I never had a PS3 and I ain't getting one for just one game, even if it's a Souls game.

Deleted member 4262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I fucking hope so. It's not that the original is unplayable or anything, but it does feel very dated nowadays. I'd rather have a full remake than a remaster though.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Now would you guys want a straight graphical/framerate increase or more?

Personally I do kind of hope they take stuff from further in the series to add to this one.

Things like an Estus System and also removal of item inventory weight.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
Okay wtf I was expecting just some wishful thinking going into this thread now Jason chimes in.

Pls give us the deets.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
But..... a remake doesn't mean it stops progress on a new game, especially if it's a studio that only does remasters and remakes...

Yeah it's not one to one, and some remakes need to be remakes to revive the IP, like Crash and Spyro

But it's pretty naive to think projects like Resident Evil 2, or FF7R are not large enough to have an impact on the output of a developer, and Nintendo won't make 2 top down "hand held" Zelda games

We'll get Link's Awakening and maybe another one (maybe another remake) in a few years time, so that could be it for original hand held Zelda games for a while

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Now, I'\m not asking this to aggravate but: is Demon Souls a good game?

There's often people who sing its praises on Era but they are usually From Software devotees so their opinion, while totally valid, is sometimes a bit rose tinted :)

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

There's often people who sing its praises on Era but they are usually From Software devotees so their opinion, while totally valid, is sometimes a bit rose tinted :)

It's pretty janky, but that's part of the fun. A lot of the good memories come from the world-building and invasion stories. The individual worlds are great and there's an impending sense of danger that builds as you progress. There are little stories throughout, and you get stories like Maiden Astrea that are great. PvP was so unbalanced. Invaders could heal forever with unlimited healing supplies, troll builds ran rampant. That might sound bad, but damn, was it fun.

Dec 6, 2017
US
Maybe this time they manage to include the ambient soundtrack for the entire game unlike Dark Souls: Remastered, that'd be neat-o.

Painful to keep seeing Dark Souls on the shelf for PS4 and having to actively avoid it.

It's the game that made a lot of people what you call "From Software devotees", it's fucking good. I played it after Dark Souls, maybe in 2013, and it was amazing even with online being mostly dead at that point.

It has some jank that everyone freely acknowledges but not in the aspects that truly matter. Also, it's one of the most atmospheric games ever made for my money. Running through Tower Of Latria with that ghostly sound while you're hollowed (forgot what they call it in Demon's)...eerie, eerie.

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
It's pretty janky, but that's part of the fun. A lot of the good memories come from the world-building and invasion stories. The individual worlds are great and there's an impending sense of danger that builds as you progress. There are little stories throughout, and you get stories like Maiden Astrea that are great. PvP was so unbalanced. Invaders could heal forever with unlimited healing supplies, troll builds ran rampant. That might sound bad, but damn, was it fun.

lol that does indeed sound awful :)

but a remake could be amazing :)

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Banned
Oct 24, 2017

Of course it is.
The invasions thing is a non-issue. Trolls were far, far worse in the sequels.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Who says that it's pointless? You? Yes, it's your opinion. I say it would be great. It's the first Souls game. It's looks and runs terrible right now. It's the best Souls game for a lot of people. Sony is paying an indie studio to remaster it like SOTC? Well great!
What does DMC5 have to do with this? It's not like Sony is using money for a possible Demon's Souls 2 for the remaster/remake. This has nothing to do with a possible sequel and Sony has the money. From Software is already doing Sekiro and other things. Fans want it and it looks like Sony is listening and wants to make it for them. So yes, Win Win.

Oct 27, 2017
Not if I have to wait end of 2020 to play the game. A PS5 launch title doesn't make sense economically for Sony. They'll have a much bigger userbase on PS4 now (because I think the game will be released this year).

PS5 owners could still buy and play the PS4 game with BC.
I'm in the same boat of wanting it on PS4. I usually wait until there's 5 exclusive games that I want for a console before I buy it, and unfortunately demon's souls wouldn't be one of those games to sell me on a PS5... especially since I already own both the Asian and US versions on PS3.

For comparison it took me until March of 2017 for me to want to buy a PS4 :O

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
What Culture gaming just put up this *RIDICULOUSLY* click bait-ey video and referenced this very topic in it.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Now would you guys want a straight graphical/framerate increase or more?

Personally I do kind of hope they take stuff from further in the series to add to this one.

Things like an Estus System and also removal of item inventory weight.
I don't want a single thing changed beyond updated graphics/increased framerate and functional online. I don't want DeS to play like the other games in the series, it was unique and that's why it's still my favorite in the series.

Toni

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Orlando, Florida
6ef.gif
mgIpyAN.gif

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Who says that it's pointless? You? Yes, it's your opinion. I say it would be great. It's the first Souls game. It's looks and runs terrible right now

A remaster fixes that

Either way, Jason said yes to the title, which was remaster, so hopefully that's the case