• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

psynergyadept

Shinra Employee
Oct 26, 2017
"Remember ME, Eddie? When I GAVE YOU YOUR ORDER... it sounded JUUUUSTTT LIIIKKKE THIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISSS!!!!"

latest

this thread delivered fast!!! LMAO!!!!

m43lstr0m

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He's inside the house. Get out now! Can probably run away though because his pants are around has ankles and he can't attack very well with only one free hand.

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
So along these lines

I work at a big ol huge national retailer in a non-sales department but I had to do all the cashier training videos for backup and I was kinda half-assedly strolling through them and then suddenly it's like...

"When the customer hands you their credit card or debit card to hand key the account number on the rare occasion it won't swipe, this is a good opportunity to glance at the card and thank them by name!"

and I was like no the fuck it ain't

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Some of you people have SERIOUS social anxiety issues. I don't know how you function on a day to day basis. Please, get professional help.

Aselith

Oct 27, 2017
Yo, dawg, you can be a regular like that. You gotta pick some restaurants to rotate through so you're never ordering from one place too long so that you're off the grid, you know? Be a first timer every time , you know? Don't be an "ED-ward", be a "next!", you know?

Pila

Oct 31, 2017
I'm gonna miss the coffee bar close to my place (I'm moving). They know my name and also my fav breakfast, I literally say "'Good morning guys!" and they know what to do.

Small talk is cool in my book, big fan actually XD sorry OP.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
I've had this happen to me before. They don't know my name, but they remember stuff like my no-sauce preference or whatever. Once someone commented that I changed my hair after I'd had it cut. I only feel bad or weird because I'm terrible at recognizing/remembering people in return.

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
Lmfao. You're just a regular. When I was on campus I grew to know the girl there and she made my sub I always got without me asking and exactly how I liked it even tho it was just once a week or so. It isn't that strange. At worst they like you and at best they simply have a good memory and tried to be friendly. All I know it is you're thinking about this way way too hard.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
The people at the local Chinese place here in town know me by my first name.

They say "Hey John!" and "Thank you John" when I order because I am the only one who orders what I get and have done so for a long ass time.

Spicy shrimp and pork Lo-Mein noddles with General Tso saunce on the side.

giphy.gif

Shapes

Nov 6, 2017
E
And he did in kind of a weird tone that I'm not sure of, with a hard emphasis on the first syllable. My name isn't Edward, but it's two syllables like that. It was like "Thanks, ED-ward... ;) have a nice day"

Obviously, I didn't tell him my name/formally introduce myself, so he had to take a good look at my card to know it. So I admit, I'm a regular at this Del Taco. Yes, I'm ready for you motherfucking fast food internet connoisseurs. Go away. I like their sauce, and it's so close to my place and so easy to get to on my way home from work, alright? I probably go there like weekly to bi-weekly, depending. I think I've seen this guy a few times before. This week I've been there twice, but this guy wasn't the server the first time.

I'm just a little teeny-tiny bit unnerved about it—unnerved enough to post about it on the internet. He was talking with a couple of his coworkers and they looked like they might've been joking around before they opened the window. Did I do something wrong? I don't really make small talk at the drive-through. And I don't think a lot of people do either? I admit, I get fast food fairly often. My job is kind of to serve sometimes too, and I fucking hate making small talk. I don't want to put other people through that shit. I kind of don't want to go there anymore, which I think is an overreaction, as all of this kind of is. Do I start ordering very different items? Do I disguise myself when I go with sunglasses and fake mustaches, maybe a wig? Is it actually normal for drive-thru servers to address you by name? No, it means I have a problem when they start to recognize me, right?

help

They have probably been told by their management that they need be more personal to their customers, and this is to be more friendly. Which, of course, he and his colleagues were joking about. This has nothing to do with you, ED-ward.

Yoshi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
My name is actually Casey, and while "Case" is totally an abbreviation I accept and am cool with, I don't think it's nearly as common as "Ed" or "Eddie" and generally only people close to me call me by it. So nah, I don't think that's it.
He read your name off a card... I would have put more emphasis on the first syllable as well, so if I may take a guess: He just wanted to be nice with a regular customer. No needs to worry.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
I get shook when somebody addresses me by my name at work. Then I realize they just read my name tag. It's bizarre.

Leithkorias

Oct 27, 2017
I once picked up my wife's mobile Starbucks order at the window. The cashier called me by my wife's name 3 times....each time putting emphasis on the first syllable of her name.

I was by myself, she has an obviously feminine name.

I drove away thinking...is there a joke I'm missing?

People are weird.

FriedConsole

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who worked fast food, it is boring and you play games to prevent insanity. You care little if you get fired over it.

gblues

Oct 25, 2017
Tigard, OR
He probably was going to say "Ed" but decided mid-word that that might sound too informal and attached the "-ward" and it sounded weird.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm too shy to call a fast food cashier by their first name, at first I thought that I convinced myself that it was not very polite of myself to do that, but this thread kinda confirms that some people could get offended

EDIT: Now I realized that the OP was the costumer

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
When I go to meet people, I'm usually moving fast, juggling a few things in my head. Being timely is important. So sometimes, I'll look for my paper with their name on it and will start saying their name weird in a searching type of way.

Maybe the dude was thinking of the accuracy of your order and if he did everything right. You were in a fast food restaurant. So he has to be nice, accurate, fast and a few other things. And now restaurants are asking for your name and want to seem inviting.

I agree you were overthinking it.

I once picked up my wife's mobile Starbucks order at the window. The cashier called me by my wife's name 3 times....each time putting emphasis on the first syllable of her name.

I was by myself, she has an obviously feminine name.

I drove away thinking...is there a joke I'm missing?

People are weird.

The joke is y'all gave them a name and you expected them to do something different instead of recognizing men with 'feminine' names or people who want to be called by feminine names by desire.

The joke is not funny and you should stop.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
WTF is this thread?

"Some guy called me Adam today, I know that's my name but lets overthink it and theorise about it"

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
The employees have been told to address card users by their first name to appear friendly, the cashier probably doesn't want to even though he works in customer service. In other words, it's not you, it's him.

Havok

Oct 27, 2017
Northern VA
It's okay to be a regular at a place. You should feel good that they gave a shit enough to want to know your name. You don't get service/retail employees like that very often.

I was a regular at a Subway for a while, and the manager eventually started giving me free cookies and shit, so it can have perks, too.

Killingmoon

Oct 28, 2017
Overthinking simple human interactions: The Thread.

Some of you people have SERIOUS social anxiety issues. I don't know how you function on a day to day basis. Please, get professional help.

This is ResetERA we're talking about. Even back in NeoGAF, you'd have threads where you'd wonder exactly how some of these people managed to survive in society for as long as they have.

Error_404

Nov 12, 2017
There're a couple waiters at a restuarant that me and my friends frequent that know us by name, and they'll talk to us quite a bit.

Another time a girl who worked the Wendy's I was at recognized me, so I intentionally avoided it for a couple weeks