WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
Parents don't need consent from their under 18 children to make life or death medical decisions for them. They surely don't need permission from them to make a prank video of them lol.
Prank video or not, recording someone without their consent is actually punishable in some states, not to mention flat out rude. The posting for millions to see is just a bonus. A bad bonus.

Deleted member 1238

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All of those reactions seem pretty tame. Yeah the kids yell a bit, but the parents are also acting like shits. They're turning off the TV because jimmy kimmel told them it would be funny. I dont know if I still lived with my parents and they turned off the TV while I was watching an important cutscene in red dead just because jimmy kimmel told them to I'd be pretty pissed too.

It's all in good fun though so who cares. I just think the OPs statement about the kids' behavior is a bit misplaced. I don't really see anything alarming.

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
Part of me wants to find some irony to this that it had to take Jimmy Kimmel to "challenge" parents to do this when it seems like this should be something done a long time ago (at least in the sense of regulating the amount of time kids play games). Hell knows that my mom never allowed me to play games when it was a "School Night" and homework had to be done (and how she would crack the whip if my grades dropped).

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
You are so full of shit. I said my mom would "pop" me. I guess some of yall don't know what it means but it's just a tap, it's not forceful way in a playful way. It is literally putting her hand to my mouth and telling me to watch my mouth. But once again go off about my childhood and the abuse that I clearly endured.

I've seen people say this before. But "pop me in the mouth" certainly sounds violent. We must always give the benefit of the doubt in such circumstances, but perhaps the word "pop" isn't the best word for what you mean.

Tirisfal

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
London
Lol at a lot of these responses.

Parents aren't the issue here. Kids need to learn to get a hold of their emotions and not act out (swearing, hitting, etc). I suspect some of the adults in this thread act the same way if this happens to them which is why they are so upset with this little experiment.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Too many of the replies and bits of the discussion in this thread echo my childhood. Those being that:

1. As the child you are lucky to even be alive.
2. You should be glad to even be given food and shelter.
3. You have no rights and deserve no common respect because children deserve none.
4. Your opinion doesn't matter.
5. Your feelings don't matter.
6. It's the parent's house so they literally lord over everything in it including what is technically yours. Oh wait nothing is yours because we bought the shit, sorry, kid.
7. Don't speak even when you are 100% right, because fuck you, you have no right to point out when I'm wrong. And yes I already know I'm wrong, but I'll be damned if I admit it in front of you. Now hush so I can finish talking down to you.

I could go on, but that's enough. Sorry to point this out, but this is in fact not a healthy way to raise a child. Every human being has an intrinsic right to be treated with basic individual respect. All you do by violating these rights is risk building bitterness and anger in a child. That's when you start getting cussed at and all behavior expectations go out the window. "Fuck me, well fuck you too."

Tyrants command respect. Parents earn it.

I take what I learned from the mistakes my parents made and make sure I raise mine ti respect me while I respect them. I'm not saying you treat them as equals, because they are not, but you treat them as humans who do have their own ideas, feelings, opinions, and rights.

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
LMAO these replies so far

Kimmel isn't the bigger problem here.

Kimmel is terrible.

If you give your kids permission to play Fortnite and then do something like this to them to expose and humiliate them on tv, you're an asshole. Plain and simple.

I work with kids for a living, this kind of behavior from fucking ADULTS is the reason why kids act out this way. Learn from example.

PinballRJ

Oct 25, 2017
Pulling pranks on your own kids is a horrible idea, these are formative years for their brain. So not being able to trust their own parents is almost guaranteed to give them problems later in life.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
I take what I learned from the mistakes my parents made and make sure I raise mine ti respect me while I respect them. I'm not saying you treat them as equals, because they are not, but you treat them as humans who do have their own ideas, feelings, opinions, and rights.

I'm glad to see at least some younger parents get the point. Respect comes from respect. Respect your kids, don't treat them like props in a dumb television show, and recognise that how you treat them now will condition their expectations and their notions of how to treat others over whom they have power.

This Kimmel guy sounds like a real bottom feeder. Don't take him as a role model if you want your kids to respect you.

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pulling pranks on your own kids is a horrible idea, these are formative years for their brain. So not being able to trust their own parents is almost guaranteed to give them problems later in life.

How do you almost guarantee that? There's absolutely no evidence that harmless pranks cause lasting damage. This stuff is getting ridiculous now.

Th0rnhead

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I don't really see this as "scary". Maybe if the parents were like 'hey, you need to get off Fortnite...'

They just turned the TV off to be dicks. Not to mention recording it so their kid could go viral on Jimmy Kimmel. It wasn't a disciplinary thing at all, just mean spirited.

The kids that hit the phones away maybe went too far. Honestly though, if it was me, I'd be way more upset about being recorded than having the TV turned off.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Aaaaand now this is suddenly a thread where someone's condoning child abuse.

Oh, so that's where all the shitposters with no avatars are coming from?

Turning a video game console or TV off is child abuse now!? The horrific trauma of not being able to complete your 100th round of Fortnite!

mjl.gif

The level of entitlement, overreaction and sensationalism is off the charts.

Deleted member 36086

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Prank video or not, recording someone without their consent is actually punishable in some states, not to mention flat out rude. The posting for millions to see is just a bonus. A bad bonus.

We are talking about parents who are the legal guardians of their children who can make any decision on behalf of their children without their consent. That includes posting a prank video online for millions of people to see.

strotee

Aug 9, 2018
The reaction from adults when they got the TV turned off for the SuperBowl was worse haha
SB happens once a year (with a house full of guests, in many cases), while Fortnite is played in these people's homes, likely, multiple times per week. I fail to see the equivalence.

But with regarrd to the vid, it's just kids being kids while the adults pulled a harmless prank. Oh no, you lost a Fortnite match. *rolls eyes*

shan780

The Fallen
Nov 2, 2017
UK
Turning a video game console or TV off is child abuse now!? The horrific trauma of not being able to complete your 100th round of Fortnite!

mjl.gif

The level of entitlement, overreaction and sensationalism is off the charts.

might be a good idea to actually read the thread before you start calling people out

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
We are talking about parents who are the legal guardians of their children who can make any decision on behalf of their children without their consent. That includes posting a prank video online for millions of people to see.
Sure, parents can do whatever they want to their kids as long as it's not abuse. They just better not expect their kids to respect them or take care of them in the future. And before some says "Hur-dur parents should't expect their kids to respect them or take care of them cause we won't let them play fornite" this aint about fornite.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
A couple of years ago, someone turned off the monitor of someone at work, which led to an issue with their work and caused a number of unintended consequences which took a few hours to resolve.

He was fired. Doesn't have anything to do with turning off the TV while kids play though, this just reminded me of that.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland

If that is really the case in your country, the video is even more scary.

Here's a question for those who think the parent did nothing wrong here: do you ever treat your own children like this? Or is this purely an academic exercise for you? Are you just imagining the shittiest behaviour you think you could condone?

sooperkool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've turned off the Tv on my kids before. They have responded by giving me the "Oh shit" dad is serious look. If I did this right now they would be wondering what they didn't do that I had asked them to, in fact it has happened enough that they wouldn't react crazily and honestly my kids would have never reacted with such disrespect as these kids on TV.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
I've turned off the Tv on my kids before. They have responded by giving me the "Oh shit" dad is serious look. If I did this right now they would be wondering what they didn't do that I had asked them to, in fact it has happened enough that they wouldn't react crazily and honestly my kids would have never reacted with such disrespect as these kids on TV.

Most of them reacted badly, but the black kid hilarious. Loved him telling his dad to go and cook.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017

But isn't that most likely because you have established a clear pattern of behavior where you would in fact only be doing that to signify they'd done something wrong and they would understand this was in response to their own behavior? Just by randomly doing what Jimmy Kimmel said for laughs, the parents in the video aren't demonstrating that level of consistency that makes their actions easily understood and interpreted by kids.

If you do a behavior that means "you're in trouble" and sometimes it's because they are and sometimes it's because it's a joke (at the child's expense), how do kids even learn how to respond? It seems like you're establishing clear and consistent behavior with your kids and they are learning in return; doesn't really seem to be the case in the video.

House_Of_Lightning

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
A couple of years ago, someone turned off the monitor of someone at work, which led to an issue with their work and caused a number of unintended consequences which took a few hours to resolve.

He was fired. Doesn't have anything to do with turning off the TV while kids play though, this just reminded me of that.

Just curious.

How does just turning off a monitor cause work issues with some serious effort to resolve?

House_Of_Lightning

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
*turns TV off*

*parental abuse* *bullying* *rights violation*

*yeah but they're recording this to humiliate them on TV*

That's true. And that's shitty. But that ain't why those kids are acting terribly.

Oct 31, 2017
Overreacting much? I think you can record your kid any time you feel like it. I mean as long as it isn't abuse or whatever.

TheDeep1974

Oct 26, 2017
My son loves Fortnite and he plays it a lot, but I would never switch it off like that. I either gives him a time at which he is to switch off or tell him to finish the current game and that's it. And he cannot play until he finishes his homework and chores.

sooperkool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But isn't that most likely because you have established a clear pattern of behavior where you would in fact only be doing that to signify they'd done something wrong and they would understand this was in response to their own behavior? Just by randomly doing what Jimmy Kimmel said for laughs, the parents in the video aren't demonstrating that level of consistency that makes their actions easily understood and interpreted by kids.

If you do a behavior that means "you're in trouble" and sometimes it's because they are and sometimes it's because it's a joke (at the child's expense), how do kids even learn how to respond? It seems like you're establishing clear and consistent behavior with your kids and they are learning in return; doesn't really seem to be the case in the video.

While everything that yo have said is true in my case; I would also have to say that for a child to react that way to a removal of anything from their presence is a clear display of poor parenting. Even before it as established my household what turning off the TV meant we established there was nothing in a child's life that should have held enough significance to create those responses as seen on TV. If a child of mine had responded that way to the removal of anything in the house they would have son found that those things would be removed permanently from the household.

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
Overreacting much? I think you can record your kid any time you feel like it. I mean as long as it isn't abuse or whatever.
Surely you understand how crazy this sounds. You think parents should be able to record their child at any time in their life as long as they're not being physically or emotionally abused. What if a parent wanted to record their kid 24/7, it's not abuse so it'd be ok in your book? If the kid you're recording asks you to stop filming them, and they say "I'm your parent, I'll record you any time I feel like it", you'd agree with the parent? Just some hypotheticals.

grunkleFungus

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
NC, US
Man, at least ask your kid if recording them is ok. These videos could exist for as long as they live, and they don't want to be represented to the public by their 6-12 year old selves. Also, just randomly doing something that usually means "you're in deep shit" is really bad for the kid. Kids get anxious and nervous too, and it's bad for them. Parents who do this shit because 'funne man on tv want me to' are most likely not good parents and will get ignored or cut off from their kids for being such flaky assholes.

Also, ain't Jimmy Kimmel on camera trying to make women touch his junk? I'd think people would care about it, but most people don't give a shit if a celebrity does horrible shit.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Surely you understand how crazy this sounds. You think parents should be able to record their child at any time in their life as long as they're not being physically or emotionally abused. What if a parent wanted to record their kid 24/7, it's not abuse so it'd be ok in your book? If the kid you're recording asks you to stop filming them, and they say "I'm your parent, I'll record you any time I feel like it", you'd agree with the parent? Just some hypotheticals.
as long as it's legal in the state/country you live in, then yeah. I go by what the law says if it's fair game

by the way -- in this day of technology, there are TONS of parents who have 24/7 video cameras of their babies. that's actually pretty common now

Deleted member 36086

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
If that is really the case in your country, the video is even more scary.

Here's a question for those who think the parent did nothing wrong here: do you ever treat your own children like this? Or is this purely an academic exercise for you? Are you just imagining the shittiest behaviour you think you could condone?

It's a prank, most of the videos the kids realize this and they will get over it. It's not any different when a child really wants something and the parent teases them they can't have only to surprise the kid afterwards by giving them that thing that they wanted.

If going by the environments presented in the video, it's clear that these pranked kids are all well cared for. Also, just by their reaction, turning off the TV while in game doesn't appear to be something that happens at all, but you want to call the parent shitty just because of a single prank?