• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Troast

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

The idea is that parents will turn the tv off when their kids are playing fortnite, because Kimmel told them to.

The reactions from some of these kids is really bad, and probably more common than not. The blame probably lies with the parents though, and how they allow this behavior to develop. I don't have children, but my parents demanded much more respect from me than what is shown here.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
why are these parents acting like assholes
why would you turn off the TV while someone is using it

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Let's have someone turn off the TV when the parents are watching something they're engrossed in, or doing something on their computer/phones they are invested in but is ultimately a hobby. Let's see how nicely they take it.

Chainshada

Oct 25, 2017
While I agree that the kids should have more respect for their parents and not act that way..The parents should have more respect for their kids and not antagonize them because Jimmy fucking Kimmel told them to.

Ramstein

Dec 3, 2017
How is this "scary?" They purposely did something stupid and "disrespectful" to try to "go viral" for television. The biggest problem with society, not some stupid videogame.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Some of these reactions are too much, but there's plenty of kids in there just being surprised and laughing it up. Not nearly as 'scary' or 'shocking' as you want us to think this is.

It's a complete dick move to suddenly turn off the tv when someone is using it in their own time btw.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
I dont see what's the problem with turning the TV off while kids are playing Fortnite.
I see the problem to film it and show it on national tv.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Feel like some of the "scary" ones are probably siblings doing it rather than parents.

Deleted member 5129

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly did not see anything wrong except maybe that one kid that punched the camera away? Most of them were just laughing lol

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
The kids and parents should respect each other.

Love to see the reaction of the parent when a kid switches off the power to the computer losing all the progress to their thesis they just wrote.

The Bookerman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Let's have someone turn off the TV when the parents are watching something they're engrossed in, or doing something on their computer/phones they are invested in but is ultimately a hobby. Let's see how nicely they take it.
Yup. Unfortunately, some of those people's reaction are taken to an extreme - See that streamer who beat up his pregnant girlfriend.

Javier23

Oct 28, 2017
The kids and parents should respect each other.

Love to see the reaction of the parent when a kid switches off the power to the computer losing all the progress to their thesis they just wrote.
Depending on their age, you can either be a terrible parent and scream your lungs out, patiently plug it in, or discipline the kid if they're being a little shit that perfectly knows what they just did.

Same situation here, you can be a fucking terrible kid or show your parents some respect.

Nerdyone

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That's not the point. When I tell my 11 year old he has to get off his system he has to get off. We usually give him a ten minute warning but when that time is up, it's up

Älg

Banned
May 13, 2018
This really wasn't as bad as I thought it was gonna be; OP is definitely exaggerating. The video doesn't even portray the kids unreasonable or bad people, in my opinion.

That's not the point. When I tell my 11 year old he has to get off his system he has to get off. We usually give him a ten minute warning but when that time is up, it's up

What's to say the kids wouldn't have turned the game off if the parents had just asked them?

Oct 25, 2017
I expected way, way worse. Honestly most of those reactions were fine and they were incredibly tame compared to some of the rage fits we've seen recorded over the years.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
That I can understand, but you also have to consider that that's very different than "sneaking up on your kids and turning off the TV while they're playing Fortnite."

That's just fucking with them for humor (or, in this case, to go viral and be featured on television).

Chainshada

Oct 25, 2017

But this wasn't a time limit thing, or my kid is playing too much and I need to send a message. This was sending a video in to a TV show for people to laugh at because the host told them to. Are they going to do all the stupid shit Kimmel tells parents to do? Like telling their children they ate/threw away all their candy the day after Halloween? Or I gave my kids terrible Christmas presents? I "silverstoned" my kids.

If they're stupid enough to do 1, they're probably stupid enough to do multiple. So what makes them different to Daddy O Five?

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
I dont see what's the problem with turning the TV off while kids are playing Fortnite.
I see the problem to film it and show it on national tv.

This. The need for exposure on something like this is just plain idiotic.

Have rules. Engage in your childrens hobby. Take part or interest in what they do. Set boundaries. Have them eat well, sleep enough, excercise and read.
When you do these basic things there is absolutely no harm in having video games as hobbies.

Do some f***ing parenting.

FLCL

Oct 27, 2017
Scary? Most of the kids are smiling and joking around even when screaming.
What behavior? I feel like these kids are veeeeery respectful in a dumb situation. Even the kid punching the phone out of his moms hand is not that bad, seriously who turns off the TV and push the phone up their face and expect nothing out of it?

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
I think op is talking about the crazy reactions, like cussing and hitting. Which, if you've been online anything, especially gaming, is not shocking.

Surprise, a lot of gamers are assholes. And, I remember seeing a kid yell and hit his mom on the trolley in Philly back in the early 90s. This ain't new. Some parents don't discipline their kids. They see evidence to not spank kids as evidence to not discipline their kids. My 6 year old threw a temper tantrum last night while we were out at dinner. That shit ended real quick with no spanking. But it's hard.

If I did that to my 14 year old, he would laugh. Hell, we always interrupt him and tell him to turn it off at a bad time.

Teach your kids playing vg are a privilege. You are only guaranteed a place to sleep, heat, clothes and food. Healthcare. Going to school. I think that's it.

Cars, phone, i whatever, vg, even the chance to go out with friends... You gotta earn that shit.

Oct 25, 2017
Some of you guys legit don't get the point of this. What is prompting this is the turn off your game and do X. Only to have the kid ignore you or freak out.

Some the replies here are a bit worrying.

baggage

Oct 25, 2017
Switch doesn't really have this issue :V doesn't have 60fps though.This reminds me. If your power goes out, you can continue to play your switch by pulling it out of the dock.

Future Gazer

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Exactly. This is not a reaction you'll find exclusive to "gamers".

OP
OP
Troast

Troast

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Seems like thats why the kids are like that these days, physically violent towards the parent and screaming like at toddler when at pre-pubescent age is acceptable? Not funny either.

Zexen

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, some kids reactions are pretty bad, and in the mean time, it's kind of an ass move to straightly go and turn off the Tv/Console/monitor or whatever, without any warning whatsoever.

I like the kid's reaction at 1:00 thus said, they seem to have a healthy relationship.

Oct 25, 2017
Some of you guys legit don't get the point of this. What is prompting this is the turn off your game and do X. Only to have the kid ignore you or freak out.

Some the replies here are a bit worrying.
I guess you didn't watch the video because the parents do not tell their kids to turn off the game and do X, they silently turn the TV off without warning. It's a very different scenario. The kids aren't being disobedient, they're being surprised.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Only one kid didn't take it as a matter of life and death.
Those other ones throwing tantrums, cursing, and hitting their parents seriously need their screen time cut back.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised some Era members are bothered more by Kimmel than these obsessed kids. Most of the parents I know would shut that shit off and tell them to take a break and do something else besides sit in front of the TV all day.

And the woman feeling around the TV trying to find where the manufacturer hid the tiny power button is all of us lol

Phrozenflame500

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
lol most of those reactions weren't even that bad, like half the kids looked like they were about to burst out laughing once they realized they were being filmed

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017

The idea is that parents will turn the tv off when their kids are playing fortnite, because Kimmel told them to.

The reactions from some of these kids is really bad, and probably more common than not. The blame probably lies with the parents though, and how they allow this behavior to develop. I don't have children, but my parents demanded much more respect from me than what is shown here.

Seems like siblings were taking part in turning off the monitor in some of the harshest reactions, I think. Some of the reactions sounded like sibling fights when the fists fly.

But yea it looks bad, but kids can be real selfish even with strong parenting. Boundaries are constantly tested especially when it comes to entertainment. Some do respect those boundaries, but fits of anger and rage are normal and are largely the -only- tool they have at their disposal to protest(and kids protest constantly!). That said, it does take strong parenting to scale back such fits as they grow and develop into maturity and tune to our societal norms, but the natural inclination is as you see.

Mostly though, this stunt is provocating obvious reactionary anger without warning. Pretty awful all around as I think many reactions would fare much differently if proper warnings were issued. "Two more minutes and it needs to be turned off!" Obviously the point is just to intrude and disrupt so you get the anger on film for cheap laughs. Not a fan either.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
Don't think that's much different from "parents turn off [any online multiplayer game here]".

Deleted member 12352

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I expected something much worse from your thread title. All but a couple of the kids seemed to see the funny side or were just confused.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
Meh you could have done this to my brother or myself 18 years ago with the N64 and we'd react the same.