Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Xbox didn't sign to publish No Rest for the Wicked over all the allegations/reports coming out about this guy and work place culture iirc.

Eroke

Oct 27, 2017
Well, I'm a little unfamiliar with this story, so let me ask you a question. Is 'Cancel Culture' a kind of 'boycott' culture?

And, he seems to have written something to criticize about this, right?

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
Xbox didn't sign to publish No Rest for the Wicked over all the allegations/reports coming out about this guy and work place culture iirc.
And yet he tries to make it seem like it was Moon's decision, when it very likely wasn't.

The original report about Moon also seemed to suggest that Xbox staff faced poor treatment too.

Wesker

Aug 3, 2020
That's not how you sell your recently released Early Access title, lol.
And that's the last problem this tweet is doing ... Jeez.

Oct 28, 2017
i assume the irony of ranting about cancel culture to a journalist that they seemingly "cut off" contact with is completely lost on him.

i also don't see the correlation between "cancel culture" and inclusion in media

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Oh god, I wasn't prepared to find that giant wall of text when I clicked "read more"...

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
it's comical that twitter allows this lol.
elon really has no clue what made the site good.
I personally don't care either way, but I just thought it was hilarious that I was expecting to see one or two more sentences, but instead he went on a giant rant...

wbloop

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
He promptly blocked me after I called him out on his bullshit.

But sure, fam, it's about "oPiNiOnS bEiNg sUrPrEsSeD!!!".

klauskpm

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
i assume the irony of ranting about cancel culture to a journalist that they seemingly "cut off" contact with is completely lost on him.

i also don't see the correlation between "cancel culture" and inclusion in media
There is none, but they mingle everything in a single piece of cloth and shift goalposts as they go. What I'll say below is just a rant and is not directed to you.

They talk a out cancel culture together with hidden political agendas. And they say that having straight white men as the norm is "natural", and you should only go for "natural". You should only go for people of other cultures, colors and whatnot in a "natural" way. Not to try to be inclusive. You shouldn't force yourself. How do you tell apart? Don't worry about it. They will be the judge and will be fair. (Contains sarcasm)

Of course, that needs to ignore straight white men and patriarchal cultures forcing themselves as a culture for a long time, such as colonizing others for starters, or simply denying black people opportunities for multiple years while doing blackface.

But hey, their argument totally has legs. Let's wait and things will get better as they always did. We never needed any movements to give rights to people before, right? (Contains even more sarcasm)

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
Man i fucking hate this discourse where every game is apparently woke, i even hate the word woke.
Imagine if MGS was released today, the amount of idiots that would be claiming it is politically woke
I agree but the difficult part is threads like this, and many many others are always what propagate and keep it going. We just need to ignore this shit till it dies in the ground. It's like what you learn when being bullied as a kid. We need to stop reacting. Who gives a fuck about the guy asking if it's woke (obv a complete idiot lol), who cares what this guys views are lol it's all just too much. Def an internet/social media problem.

Not even thread hating it is what it is, it's more a broader comment on this stuff. They love the attention/chaos.

Dyno

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, I managed to avoid Ori long enough and I can keep avoiding it easily. Never even heard of the other game so it's not like his work was on my radar

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
"Everyone is sick of it" love how people saying this have obviously just been TOLD that everyone is sick of it when that couldn't be further from the truth. Classic case of how fox news tells people what they believe and pretends that there's this huge swath of people that feel the same way. "People are saying" shut the fuck up no they're not.

hydrophilic attack

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
i'm thinking this is a desperate attempt to catch the gamergate 2 audience and get them to rally around nrftw similarly to how people rallied around stellar blade. nrftw does seem to be underperforming a bit. they are so desperate for attention that i've even seen them attempt to advertise with promoted posts on twitter. really scraping the bottom of the barrel. and they're barely getting any engagement there. despite paying for impression, they're struggling to even get to a triple-digit number of likes on their promoted posts. so i guess now he's trying to appeal to the chud crowd

Gala

Oct 25, 2017
Mahler is now commenting all kinds of twitter posts from (German) influencers and developers, trying wind himself out of what he said lol.

sakkeke

Oct 16, 2021
Finland
Man i fucking hate this discourse where every game is apparently woke, i even hate the word woke.
Imagine if MGS was released today, the amount of idiots that would be claiming it is politically woke
The word "woke" is just being used by far right idiots who don't even know what it means. Actually it's a compliment, because if someone or something is "woke", it's progressive, equality, humanity.

An only good thing about assholes is that they (proudly) announce that they are assholes, so we know to avoid them. I used to love Ori-games, but now I avoid every Mahler's piece of work. Be a piece of shit, I don't buy your shit.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
If there's one thing those Nazis sure did love, it's DEI.

Mahler is a well-known jackass

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
someone remind him that hello games is still out there updating NMS and even creating a new game

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry everyone else who worked on No Rest For The Wicked, not giving idiots like this my money.

Note to devs who have "different opinions". Keep them to yourself.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Not surprised a piece of shit is a piece of shit.

Definitly makes it easy to skip his games.

coffeecat

Jul 14, 2018
He's so brave for standing up for his right to say, uh… *checks notes* … racial minorities and women aren't people? Yeah okay cool. 🤦🏻‍♀️

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
omg how did I never hear that before, would've been so useful at times lol. Honestly even better that it's actually "Halbe Bibel", because I swear those weirdos always think their manifests are just as important. 😭 not like the bible is either, but you get me
Yeah, it's actually "half a bible", I just forgot while posting earlier :D

He promptly blocked me after I called him out on his bullshit.

But sure, fam, it's about "oPiNiOnS bEiNg sUrPrEsSeD!!!".
Good news, Elon already announced how blocks will do basically nothing in the near future anyway.

He didn't find me yet it seems.

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017
It's always the people with the shittiest takes that don't know how to just shut the fuck up.

People, spouting off a wall of text with faux intellectualism doesn't make you look as clever as you think it does. In fact it does quite the opposite, when the wall of text is brimming with bs as it is in this case.

Jamesac68

Oct 27, 2017
Well, I'm a little unfamiliar with this story, so let me ask you a question. Is 'Cancel Culture' a kind of 'boycott' culture?

And, he seems to have written something to criticize about this, right?

That's a no, seeing as "cancel culture" is a phrase used by people who are upset that the shitty things they do have consequences. Remember, it's a boycott when right-wing crazies won't drink Bud Light due to the company recognizing a trans person exists, it's "cancel culture" when people decide they don't want anything to do with products created by people who commit sexual assault, are racist, or generally abusive. One is organized, the other is a response to people being assholes.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
First, they came for the vagina bones, and I did not speak out because I didn't like vagina bones.

Then, they came for the whites, and I did not speak out because I was...oh uh.....err....

Something something and now no one is left to speak for me!

Foolhardy

May 4, 2024
ah Thomas "joking about killing jews" Mahler

yeah hes a real piece of shit

He what now?

I know one should never assume but the idea of Ori coming from a studio led by this fucking hurts.

Imagine how messed up you would have to be to get legitimately upset about a fictional videogame character being in a wheelchair.

I've seen this same sentiment hurled at the Pathfinder tabletop RPG and I think D&D caught some it too recently. Some people get really bothered by other people getting to see themselves in imaginary elf games.

cursed beef

Jan 3, 2021
same dude whose first response to the microsoft closures was bigging up his own studio. absolute man child. thankful i've never gotten into any of his games

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Oh, y'all missing how he's currently throwing a female ex worker of his under the bus who DARED to complain about how leadership in his shitty company treated people.

Her thread:

His reply to someone bringing it up:

"With an emphasis on 'supposedly', please.

Fran was a student who I gave a chance back then, precisely because there were people in my career who saw something in me.

She was first allowed to help out in our QA team, then we allowed her to write a few lines for Wisps, because she wanted to be a writer.

And after Wisps came out, she joined Alexander Brazie and co to start a smear campaign about our studio, of course only after she found herself a new nest.

I was recently told that in the 2 years since she left Moon, she has changed studios no less than 6 times.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of people who never look themselves in the mirror. It's always the others who are the bad guys and it can't be that you have to work on yourself.

Instead of constantly pointing the finger at others, we should ALL put our own house in order first!"

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)

I'm absolutely done with Moon games, this might be one the most disgusting posts I recently saw on Twitter. Which is saying something.
Thanks for finding this. Just to also put context into what Franciska wrote in that thread on March 2022 because not everyone has twitter or can see past the first tweet.

"I worked at Moon Studios for two years. I was the only woman on the story team. I struggle to find the words to express what a soul-destroying experience it was to work with the heads of the studio, Thomas and Gennadiy.

The whole studio is built on the lie that Quality justifies everything. Verbal abuse. Crunch. Public humiliation. But it just wears you down, and burns you out. Burnt out people do not produce quality.

Anything good that you had made before they had killed your creative spark was used to lure new, unwitting devs in, to fill the places of the friends you watched leave, one by one.

Please, don't be fooled. Don't perpetuate the problem by working for places like Moon. We have to stop the defeatist mentality that this is just what the industry is like. There are better places out there. You deserve better."

Absolutely disrespectful remarks from Thomas Mahler.

Farlander

Game Designer
Verified
Sep 29, 2021
I remember about ~5ish years ago I wanted to try and get into Moon Studios and Thomas told me I don't have the right experience, heavily implying in several paragraphs that people who ever work at Ubisoft are passionless drones who don't understand game development and are unreliable since they work in big teams. And on a personal level it was also clear that he didn't read my resume cause he went on a rant about people not learning anything in what he called Ubisoft Factory Open Worlds and at the time I was fully on the Trials brand so didn't work in the open-world genre at all lol. But I didn't go pointing that out because he masterfully insulted so many great devs by calling them talentless and whatnot that I just told myself that I never want to work with this man who disrespects so many of his peers. After this conversation learning of the company culture several years later was sadly not that surprising.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
DPLWhYbWAAUWzEU
What I like about this image is not the fact that you have this screenshot, but that you caught and saved it the moment it was posted.

camjwils

Oct 28, 2017
The Ori games are solid Metroidvanias but they should have never birthed this much hubris in its director, goddamn. What an asshole

Artorias

Oct 25, 2017
i'm thinking this is a desperate attempt to catch the gamergate 2 audience and get them to rally around nrftw similarly to how people rallied around stellar blade. nrftw does seem to be underperforming a bit. they are so desperate for attention that i've even seen them attempt to advertise with promoted posts on twitter. really scraping the bottom of the barrel. and they're barely getting any engagement there. despite paying for impression, they're struggling to even get to a triple-digit number of likes on their promoted posts. so i guess now he's trying to appeal to the chud crowd

This is sorta where I'm at with this. Feels like he's held these views for a while, but his studio's game under-performing probably has him spewing this garbage as a calculated move in a last ditch attempt to boost sales from the everythingIdon'tlikeiswoke crowd.

It's a shame because I do think the game looked good and has a decent amount of promise. I've always disliked ARPGs and this seemed at least a little different from your usual mindless ARPG, with more souls like combat.

Oh well, I'll probably be skipping it now. Wish people from these companies would shut the hell up about these things.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Damn, what a shame he's not here to defend himself :,(

lol

Condwiramurs

Nov 10, 2020
He what now?

I know one should never assume but the idea of Ori coming from a studio led by this fucking hurts.

I've seen this same sentiment hurled at the Pathfinder tabletop RPG and I think D&D caught some it too recently. Some people get really bothered by other people getting to see themselves in imaginary elf games.

GNiHos_X0AAWECD