• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
ManaByte

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Anyone ever notice that the villain in Toy Story 3 was an evil hugging bear?

After what came out about Lasseter, it almost seems like a sly dig against him that Pixar somehow got in the movie past him.

latest

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
"John has acknowledged and apologized for his mistakes and, during the past year away from the workplace, has endeavored to address and reform them."

Would love to know refusing acknowledge serial sexual harassment is at all endeavoring to address them.

InspectaDekka

Banned
Jan 4, 2019
Well chances are none of the things he'll work on there will bring him success. When a small animation film says stuff like "From the Director of Kung Fu Panda" or whatever in its marketing, it's not as strong as saying "From PIXAR" or "From the studio who bought you X" because animated films are seen as almost as being productionless in the eyes of the public.

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Called it. I knew after he left some other studio would hire him right up. I was thinking it would be Comcast, though.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
Movie studio cares more about making movies and money than the safety of their employees...

Unless he truly has reformed, though I'm not sure who could say that with certainty.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
He and Louis CK were two of the few who actually admitted fault, though I suppose Lasseter benefited from keeping his mouth shut a little longer and being less of a dick in general.

Is a year long enough to reform himself? I dunno, it doesn't seem like quite enough time to reflect and make amends, but I'd like to think he was sincere about improving himself and not just regurgitating some spiel that he thought people wanted to hear.

Operations

Oct 29, 2017
So he should never be employed ever again? Or what would be the acceptable timeframe for him to re-apply?

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
Here is new employee everyone, time to line and up and everyone give him a biiiiig hug!

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Well, I know one animation studio which movies' I'll never watch. No matter if they are better than anything Pixar & Disney have ever produced.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
So he should never be employed ever again? Or what would be the acceptable timeframe for him to re-apply?
There are jobs other than "head of studio" that probably pays millions. He had his time in the spotlight and he fucked it up. Let some people who haven't spent decades harassing women have these positions.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
*googles Skydance media"

That is quite the lineup

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
he's got a net worth of $100 million, what does he need a job for? he'll just terrorize someone else. gosh.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He doesn't deserve a high position anymore.

When you've continually harrassed women, excluded women from directing positions, and just generally been a grade-A creep that's made women's lives miserable, you don't fucking deserve a leadership position because you're a failure as a leader. There is no timeframe for him to re-apply because he hasn't even apologized or tried to make amends. He should be unemployable for this shit.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
him only answering to the ceo, cause that worked well in the past

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

He shouldn't be denied work, but he should have never been put in a position of power like this again. That was how he started his abuse and harassment of women in the first place.

Also why would Skydance want to attract this kind of negative press by hiring a sexual harasser and making him the head of a studio.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
I mean, he's a horrible human and his crimes are well documented, but if you're further down the totem pole of animation studios and you see a guy who is a massive pioneer, you probably just let him in and just keep an eye on him.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was expecting this to be a technical position, not an executive/creative one. Are they just gonna pull a Better off Ted and have a fulltime monitorr for him or something?

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't even know Skydance was getting into animation.

Lasseter's track record is just too massive to ignore, despite his transgressions, I guess.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I was expecting this to be a technical position, not an executive/creative one. Are they just gonna pull a Better off Ted and have a fulltime monitorr for him or something?
They probably have some crazy contract clause there. Executives usually get unique employment contracts.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I mean, it's shitty that he pretty quickly bounced back into a senior position with no oversight beyond the CEO. But at least going from overseeing Pixar, WDAS, DisneyToon, and Disney Imagineering to Skydance Animation isn't exactly a lateral move, so there's that. I guess.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Why is it that the "so what, he should never be employed again" line only seems to be trotted out for multimillionaires.

Lasseter does not need to work again, there is no danger of him becoming homeless. And he's certainly not entitled to be rehired to the same of executive position he previously had. If he's really contrite and really just wants to work for work's sake, he should start as an rank-and-file animator again and work his way up.

He and Louis CK were two of the few who actually admitted fault, though I suppose Lasseter benefited from keeping his mouth shut a little longer and being less of a dick in general.
Did he actually admit any wrongdoing? Louis outright said he masturbated in front of his accusers and their accounts were true. I don't remember Lasseter admitting any kind of fault except a "I'm sorry they felt uncomfortable" line.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Who is he and does everyone hate him?

It really isn't hard to google who John Lasseter is.

He is well known as the disgraced former head of Pixar and Walt Disney Animation Studios who helped usher Disney into a prosperous era due to his philosophy on animation. He's created some of the most iconic 3D animated films of our time.

He was forced to leave Disney after it was discovered he was sexually harassing female employees under him.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Why is it that the "so what, he should never be employed again" line only seems to be trotted out for multimillionaires.

Lasseter does not need to work again, there is no danger of him becoming homeless. And he's certainly not entitled to be rehired to the same of executive position he previously had. If he's really contrite and really just wants to work for work's sake, he should start as an rank-and-file animator again and work his way up.

Did he actually admit any wrongdoing? Louis outright said he masturbated in front of his accusers and their accounts were true. I don't remember Lasseter admitting any kind of fault except a "I'm sorry they felt uncomfortable" line.

Yeah, this is not realistic at all. No one is hiring him as a rank and file animator. He probably hasn't touched the new technology in ages. And his skillset is not animation but in producing, storytelling, hiring, and so on.

The most realistic option would him doing consulting work, which can use his talents while not necessarily running a division. Consultants are also not part of the company payroll as well and they don't have executive power.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
They seem to have poached some talent from Dreamworks and Disney for their animation dept, but can't shake the feeling they'll be Smurfs quality bad.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Who is he and does everyone hate him?
Former creative head of Pixar. Became the creative head of Disney Animation after Disney bought Pixar.

"He's a hugger." He hugs everyone. Totally harmless, right? Nope. He groped women. All the fucking time. All the women working for Pixar/Disney learned how to perform a move they called "The Lasseter" to physically prevent him from sticking his hands up their skirts. Everyone at Pixar/Disney knew about it, and they covered it up because he had too much power and was too important.

And people wonder why women complain about equality in the workforce.

Sucks for all the women working for Skydance (if there are any). They're either going to have to work under a serial sexual harasser, or quit.