• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, this is not realistic at all. No one is hiring him as a rank and file animator. He probably hasn't touched the new technology in ages. And his skillset is not animation but in producing, storytelling, hiring, and so on.

The most realistic option would him doing consulting work, which can use his talents while not necessarily running a division. Consultants are also not part of the company payroll as well and they don't have executive power.
yes, I agree that taking executives who have been ousted for sexually harassing their employees and trying to knock them down a peg as part of their rehabilitation is not realistic.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel horrible for every single woman that works there. Lasseter sounds like a nightmare to work with.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
Did he actually admit any wrongdoing? Louis outright said he masturbated in front of his accusers and their accounts were true. I don't remember Lasseter admitting any kind of fault except a "I'm sorry they felt uncomfortable" line.

I thought he did, but maybe it was more of a realization that his actions were unwanted than outright wrong. I'll have to dig up his memo, I remember it sounding at least somewhat sincere, assuming he wrote it himself.

Which is a lot better than most accused reactions that amount to 'they're lying.' I don't know if he can sufficiently reflect on how he treats his female subordinates and what kind of office environment he cultures, but if he can learn and change then that's something. But how you measure that, I don't know.

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
None of the major studios would touch him due to the bad PR and shareholder pressure but I can totally see a startup/private company like this overlooking his transgressions for his experience: it's sad but even the former CEO of Yahoo! Who lied about his degree landed somewhere again as CEO. The perception is that these guys have unique creative experience and thus are allowed a pass. It's not right but that's the reality and short of social media outrage and boycotts of new films he produces that ain't changing.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
yes, I agree that taking executives who have been ousted for sexually harassing their employees and trying to knock them down a peg as part of their rehabilitation is not realistic.
You didn't mention a peg. You mentioned a very unrealistic option of him becoming a rank and file animator and working his way up. That's not operating in reality.

I agree that he should not be running thing, but your suggestion doesn't make any sense.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's kinda amazing how many dudes (in Hollywood and here) are scared shitless of MeToo considering no one has suffered any actual consequences from it.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
You didn't mention a peg. You mentioned a very unrealistic option of him becoming a rank and file animator and working his way up. That's not operating in reality.

I agree that he should not be running thing, but your suggestion doesn't make any sense.
My suggestion is that he should not be granted any kind of leadership positions since he has proven himself to abuse such positions of power to sexually harass his female employees! The specifics of where exactly his new job should fall in the corporate hierarchy weren't really my point. He could be rehired as a janitor for all I care.

Oct 25, 2017
Some women groups commented on it, and some are still being reached out for comment.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/n...d-blast-skydance-hiring-john-lasseter-1174908

In a statement to The Hollywood Reporter on Wednesday following the hiring news, Time's Up said, "Skydance Media's decision to hire John Lasseter as head of animation endorses and perpetuates a broken system that allows powerful men to act without consequence. At a moment when we should be uplifting the many talented voices who are consistently underrepresented, Skydance Media is providing another position of power, prominence and privilege to a man who has repeatedly been accused of sexual harassment in the workplace."

On Wednesday Women in Film, Los Angeles added in its own statement to THR, "Lasseter's innappropriate touching and kissing has been reported by a number of women - from colleagues to subordinates." WIF went on to quote David Ellison's statement about Lasseter's hire. "What does this mean?" the organization asked. "For women in this industry to feel safe, we need more transparency than the above statement and we need to know what the company plans to do to ensure that safety. By saying Skydance has conducted an independent investigation and then proceded [sic] to hire Lasseter, do they mean to suggest that they are hiring him in spite of the numerous accounts of women and colleagues? We do think that people can learn and change, and we look forward to men who model this, but true reparation requires transparency."

Nov 1, 2017
Skydance must be pretty fucking desperate if they're willing to weather the media shitstorm they had to know this would bring

And just a quick reminder that Lassiter's behavior at Pixar was so bad that they had to give him designated handlers at parties to keep him from groping people and they eventually had to bar young female employees from meetings he was in

Operations

Oct 29, 2017
He shouldn't be denied work, but he should have never been put in a position of power like this again. That was how he started his abuse and harassment of women in the first place.

Also why would Skydance want to attract this kind of negative press by hiring a sexual harasser and making him the head of a studio.
Makes sense. I also agree with the suggestion that having his own business doing consultative work with no senior role in an established company would probably have been his best job roadmap post-Pixar.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not exactly good news but nothing unexpected.

Someone of his caliber wouldn't have a problem finding a job in a high position.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Make him take out the trash instead but that's pretty insulting to the janitorial crew.

Oct 28, 2017
Off a slight tangent; so Brad Bird opined a bit in regards to Lasseter and harassment in a recent interview with The Daily Beast...

Brad Bird said:
"I don't at all put John in a category with Weinstein," he continues. "You're navigating a world where men have acted a certain way for thousands of years. Way too late, but all of a sudden, they're expected to change that on a dime and it's necessary and it's right. But it's a little bit a gray area. It's not as hard of a cut as people want to make it. I'm an old friend of John's and I don't see him in black and white. I see him as a person like anyone else. He was a person who was very protective of us at a time when we needed it. So my feelings are a little bit more complicated."

Brad Bird said:
"It's often like a pendulum," he continues. "If people had been historically insensitive, the pendulum goes to hypersensitive. I understand where it came from and it's fine. I just want to go to the other world where people don't care about this kind of stuff so much. I just mean that once everybody has a fair shot, then it becomes about the work. That's the place I want to get to. I don't want people to be singled out because of whatever their particular slant is, or kept from opportunities because of it. I want a place where everybody gets to do everything and it's now about the work."

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
That's the place I want to get to. I don't want people to be singled out because of whatever their particular slant is, or kept from opportunities because of it. I want a place where everybody gets to do everything and it's now about the work.
Not doing himself favours with pretending he's not an Ayn Rand fan with statements like that

Ronin1138

Banned
Jan 10, 2019
It really isn't hard to google who John Lasseter is.

He is well known as the disgraced former head of Pixar and Walt Disney Animation Studios who helped usher Disney into a prosperous era due to his philosophy on animation. He's created some of the most iconic 3D animated films of our time.

He was forced to leave Disney after it was discovered he was sexually harassing female employees under him.

As well as fostering a sexist environment at Pixar. He was against women making executive decisions and made things super difficult for female collaborators such as Brenda Chapman and Rashida Jones.