Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Tiktok should be banned world wide.
Why? Where should marginalized communities gather and communicate on a large scale? What's your suggestion?
It's funny that I have read posts today here that claim Tango Gameworks was an American company rather than a Japanese one because of its owners and that TikTok is not Chinese in spite of its owners. As has been discussed many times before, ByteDance has intervened in TikTok's operations many times, including instances like Project Raven where it occurred without the knowledge of top TikTok executives, so any claim that it operates independently has to naturally be taken with a big asterisk.
If user data is a concern the CCP has far better ways to acquire it. They'd just have to go through the same channels they have before. US social media companies.

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/18/tech/tiktok-bytedance-china-ownership-intl-hnk/index.html

Re country of origin: article says unclear but then states sister app Douyin is Chinese, and goes on to say the following. I encourage reading for yourself and making your own decision. Correct me if I'm wrong but Dis and misinfo should be wiped.

In March 2023, CEO Chew was repeatedly pressed by US lawmakers on whether TikTok was Chinese. He didn't answer the question directly, saying only that the app was not available in the country and that it was headquartered in Los Angles and Singapore.

But TikTok is ultimately owned, through a complex multi-layered corporate structure, by ByteDance, a privately owned technology giant.

The app is owned by TikTok LLC, a limited liability company incorporated in Delaware and based in Culver City, California. The LLC is controlled by TikTok Ltd, which is registered in the Cayman Islands and based in Shanghai. That firm is ultimately owned by ByteDance Ltd, also incorporated in the Cayman Islands and based in Beijing.

Is ByteDance Chinese?

Definitely.

Does the Chinese government own or control ByteDance or TikTok?

Chew has emphatically told Congress that ByteDance is not owned or controlled by the Chinese government.

However, like most other Chinese companies, ByteDance is legally compelled to establish an in-house Communist Party committee composed of employees who are party members.

Zhang Fuping, the vice president and editor-in-chief of the company's Chinese operation, serves as its secretary of the party committee. The committee often holds sessions to study the party and Chinese leader Xi Jinping. One session in 2018 was joined by Zhang Yiming and his management team, according to the Beijing government.

Also, like its competitors, ByteDance has had to allow the Chinese government to take a so-called "golden share" in one of its key subsidiaries.

So not that cut and dry overall imo. That said, I'll give the tie to the ones with NatSec briefing for now until otherwise corrected.

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
If you think banning TikTok is going to lead to the banning of Facebook and Twitter, I have a bridge to sell you.

None of this is predicated on serious concerns of national security or date collection, even if you could make the argument that TikTok allows an avenue for those kinds of dangers (like every other big social media company), because if it were, well, we would've banned Facebook and Twitter already!

It's an anti-China power play. Nothing more, nothing less.
Also anti-Palestinean

Mar 11, 2020
Not the first time~~

Remember the SUPER-MICRO thing?
-1x-1.png

www.theregister.com

Supermicro spy chips, the sequel: It really, really happened, and with bad BIOS and more, insists Bloomberg

Server maker says latest article is 'a mishmash of disparate allegations'

The one putting chip onto thing is...the US?

Photos of an NSA "upgrade" factory show Cisco router getting implant

nsa-pwn-cisco-640x373.jpg

arstechnica.com

Photos of an NSA “upgrade” factory show Cisco router getting implant

Servers, routers get “beacons” implanted at secret locations by NSA’s TAO team.

That Huwai is spying, but after a 18 month investigation, no evidence of spying, just as bad as US network maker on security

White House-ordered review found no evidence of Huawei spying

Sinister secret backdoor found in networking gear perfect for government espionage: The Chinese are – oh no, wait, it's Cisco again

See this is the kind of thing i think we don't have all the information for. It's so weird that both sides fully agreed with the tiktok ban so readily. I know some conservatives came out saying oh the Isreal stuff was part of it, but who knows if they aren't purposefully stirring the pot. There was a closed door meeting before they voted on it then right after both parties agree like that? I really think there's more going on, but in this day and age i don't understand why they wouldn't be more transparent though.

Idk i'm really upset about our government all around right now. Like it could be there's more nefarious things going on we don't know about but how can anyone know IF THEY DON'T SAY IT. Like they know how it looks to everyone, i don't buy the whole oh they just don't care about young voters cause they def do.

Hopefully if anything the court case might force more transparency with the situation.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/18/tech/tiktok-bytedance-china-ownership-intl-hnk/index.html

Re country of origin: article says unclear but then states sister app Douyin is Chinese, and goes on to say the following. I encourage reading for yourself and making your own decision but this seems clear cut? Correct me if I'm wrong but Dis and misinfo should be wiped.
So Tango Gameworks is an American company? Ubisoft Quebec is a French studio?

Whats wrong with twitter?
Literal nazi Elon Musk literally JUST personally unbanned the nazi pedophile known as Nick Fuentes, this action coming a month after directing his followers to attack a consulting company for promoting diversity in gaming. This comes after making it extremely easy to spread misinformation on the platform, which does include, targeted harassment. If you're that out of touch with what's going on with social media companies, especially as it pertains to why the youth are choosing one thing over another, then read up on it before posting about a topic.

Last edited:

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
I dont agree with you. Grindr isnt a good example to bring up because they folded - a situation where my sentiments remained the same. It was Sinophobia, plain and simple. No case was made as to why it was necessary other than that. I want this to be fought in court.

And tf is that 'supposedly progressive' concern trolling state department line. Why should we applaud the government overstepping and writing new laws to curb a platform the majority of the country uses without any evidence other than it definitely being Chinese.

You can stick to the "it's only because of Sinophobia" line if you believe that to be true, but I don't, and so don't most Americans and a lot of smarter people than either of us.

There are plenty of other Chinese companies operating in the U.S. and Americans in general have no problem buying or consuming Chinese products. It's not like America is banning Shein, etc., or Congress are demanding Szechuan Sauce be named Freedom Sauce, or people boycott pandas at Zoos. That would be Sinophobia and I agree there's been a lot of that since COVID, and it's horrible, wrong, and should be condemned.

But the People's Republic of China and its ruling party, the CCP, unique among most globally dominant countries, exerts a lot of control over their tech companies in ways American, European, and most other governments, don't. Not at all comparable with how the U.S. governments deals with its own social media companies, even if it has a lot of issues.

It's why India banned it completely, along with several other countries who have banned it totally or partially. Many others plan to do so in the future.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
If you ever find yourself agreeing with Tom Cotton on any given issue it really is time for self reflection. Especially as it pertains to how vulnerable you are to the US government's gaslighting. 🤔

Mar 7, 2020
USA
Lets see how the previous banning of Chinese company is working out.

arstechnica.com

Telcos keep using “insecure” Chinese gear because of congressional inaction

Congress only gave 38% of funds needed for "rip and replace," FCC chair says.

The US government has pressured telcos to rip out network gear made by Chinese companies Huawei and ZTE but has allocated only about 38 percent of the money needed to replace equipment with non-Chinese hardware, the Federal Communications Commission said. FCC Chairwoman Jessica Rosenworcel wrote to Congress Thursday, urging lawmakers to fully fund the program. Congress allocated $1.9 billion for replacements of Chinese gear that must be removed as early as this month, but the needed reimbursements add up to nearly $5 billion, Rosenworcel wrote.

"Most recently, 64 percent of the status updates filed in April 2024 indicated that the lack of full funding continues to be an obstacle to completing the permanent removal, replacement, and disposal of the covered communications equipment and services in recipients' networks," Rosenworcel wrote. "In fact, nearly 40 percent of the participants reported that they cannot complete the work required under the Reimbursement Program without additional government funding."

If its such national security claim you would think they would fund it. Its almost like their claiming national security as an excuse to ban chinese companies.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
What is your actual position here? That tiktok isn't actually owned by a Chinese company?
No, my point is that the China scaremongering is very transparent Sinophobia. Which has on multiple occasions been people, members of this forum included, implying that Singapore and China are one and the same. As I said above, those same people most likely didn't start referring to Tango Gameworks as an American game developer just because it was owned by Microsoft. At least the politicians are honest about it.

you couldn't have picked a worse example.
literally everything is wrong with twitter
Oh I forgot to mention that the latest change to twitter is that blocking no longer stops people from viewing your posts. So Elon personally made it easier for trolls to cyberstalk people. Especially people like Mark Kern who's entire grift is targeted harassment against game developers. 🙃

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, not a good look. I don't remember who it was. A Republican senator?
You know, if we take a step back and look at their careers, I think it's a really good idea to side with people Mitt Romney, Tom Cotton, and Mike Lawler on an issue.
www.rollingstone.com

Lawmakers Admit They Want to Ban TikTok Over Pro-Palestinian Content

Lawmakers hint that potential TikTok ban was motivated by desire to curb pro-Palestinian content on social media.
Sometimes you just gotta hand it to Republicans! 🙃

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
Republicans are solely and singularly driven by the idea that they cannot give Biden a win.

Let's say anti-TikTok people are right and there's massive National Security vulnerabilities to keeping the app without Americans running it. Why are Republicans, who would and have voted down bills they proposed because it would look like a win for Biden, supporting him on this?

If you're telling yourself that this issue is just so grave that it must be dealt with right now by a united front, from the same people who actively encouraged Russia to interfere on behalf of Republican candidates, does any of this actually make sense with recent history?

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
I implore anyone in this thread proclaiming TikTok divestment is somehow baseless or hypocritical to go to Beijing and post about their trip on Twitter? Oh wait you can't. Well then you can post on their state sponsored version of Twitter (Weibo) just be sure you don't say anything about Winnie the Pooh, or Tiananmen square or Tibet or Taiwan or Uyghurs or LGBT rights unless you don't want to come back to report how informative your trip was.

Tamanon

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think they have too much of a case on first amendment grounds, personally. I could see other ways to overturn it, but we will see. At minimum this could likely delay until next year.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
Republicans are solely and singularly driven by the idea that they cannot give Biden a win.

Let's say anti-TikTok people are right and there's massive National Security vulnerabilities to keeping the app without Americans running it. Why are Republicans, who would and have voted down bills they proposed because it would look like a win for Biden, supporting him on this?

If you're telling yourself that this issue is just so grave that it must be dealt with right now by a united front, from the same people who actively encouraged Russia to interfere on behalf of Republican candidates, does any of this actually make sense with recent history?
Because everyone knows it's necessary but acknowledge that it will be a political hit to address so they are treating it like a hot potato and thrusting it on the opposing parties plate so they can take the hit. This is pretty basic politics

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
I implore anyone in this thread proclaiming TikTok divestment is somehow baseless or hypocritical to go to Beijing and post about their trip on Twitter? Oh wait you can't. Well then you can post on their state sponsored version of Twitter (Weibo) just be sure you don't say anything about Winnie the Pooh, or Tiananmen square or Tibet or Taiwan or Uyghurs or LGBT rights unless you don't want to come back to report how informative your trip was.

right but as many people have pointed out, "the united states government should be more like the people's republic of china's government" isn't, you know, great.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
Because everyone knows it's necessary but acknowledge that it will be a political hit to address so they are treating it like a hot potato and thrusting it on the opposing parties plate so they can take the hit. This is pretty basic politics
Ah yes, the Greater Good conscientious Republican. Wild for them to come back right now for reasons that validate previous biases.

Mar 7, 2020
USA

Since US should copy China, where do you suggest I and other Asians turn ourself in to the internment camps?

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
right but as many people have pointed out, "the united states government should be more like the people's republic of china's government" isn't, you know, great.
Nowhere did I say we need to be like China. I'm not encouraging the Us to disappear people who post Donald Trump memes. But not every segment of every market needs to be globalized. Especially segments that are prone to abuse or in this case mass information collection.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
The us secretary of the state serving under the us president?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V92PzA6eEyM&t=1170s

Minor correction: Romney is the one who says he wants to ban TikTok because of Palestine in that clip, not Blinken. Blinken makes a general statement about how media has changed over the decades but that's it. I don't doubt that's one of the reasons the Biden admin went along, but afaik only a few Republican senators have openly talked about it.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Absolutely incredible to name drop a bunch of topics that are able to be openly discussed on Tiktok in a post trying to prove that the Chinese government suppresses information on Tiktok. Almost like the faulty logic is rooted in age old Sinophobia or something. A thing that's not at all pertinent to what average Amrricans actually NEED to care about. Let's ask Tom Cotton.

Last edited:

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure what China's censorship policies have to do with the US government lying about the reasons behind the ban.

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
Minor correction: Romney is the one who says he wants to ban TikTok because of Palestine in that clip, not Blinken. Blinken makes a general statement about how media has changed over the decades but that's it. I don't doubt that's one of the reasons the Biden admin went along, but afaik only a few Republican senators have openly talked about it.

As much as this clip has been posted, I've only seen Romney or other repubs touting that too but it's been conflated in headlines. I haven't seen otherwise but perhaps I missed it in the rest of the keynote.

Might seem minor to some but nuance matters in the court of law where this is heading anyway. I'd also state false attribution is kind of a medium thing in this context but eh, media is kind of bad at their job.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
If you ever find yourself agreeing with Tom Cotton on any given issue it really is time for self reflection. Especially as it pertains to how vulnerable you are to the US government's gaslighting. 🤔

What do you mean by this. sometimes the Squad and the freedom caucus align on some issues, we're going to pull out the 'if you agree with MTG, its time for reflection?'

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
Mitt Romney basically straight up admitted what's happening and everyone wants to put on their deeply confused face.

"A small parenthetical point which is why some wonder why there was such overwhelming support for us to shut down TikTok or other entities. If you look at the postings on TikTok and the number of mentions of Palestinians relative to other social media sites, it's overwhelmingly so among TikTok broadcasts."

- Mitt Romney

That's a direct quote. I made sure to get the exact wording right.

It isn't even remotely subtle but everyone wants to act deeply confused. It's exhausting. They're saying it *out loud* for fuck's sake, and with zero ambiguity.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure what China's censorship policies have to do with the US government lying about the reasons behind the ban.
You have people saying it's hypocritical that Twitter and Facebook are still allowed. Pointing out that they aren't in China and that other countries very much do not allow social media from other hostile nations is pretty relevant. Would you have preferred I mentioned Russia instead despite China being the country in question that so many folks here seem totally fine with allowing to continue conducting said business on the US?

The comments on censorship are a reminder to folks exactly what government they are defending. This isn't just some other friendly democracy. Their government is a hostile dictatorship that is waging active intelligence campaigns on the US in furtherance of their global goals. Anything that aids in them obtaining influence or soft power over the world economy should be something to be wary of by very nature of the kind of government they run. So, yes, comments relating to who they are and how they treat their own citizens are germane.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
If you're wondering why I linked to that article that is only one of multiple examples of racism from the main. Below is him displaying some pretty blatant anti-asian racism to a Singaporean man.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5W-ufw5Z7ac

Btw, the person above just this week referred to the protests on campuses happening across the US as "disgusting little Gazas."

So again, if you find yourself agreeing with his stance on an issue, and he's only one of many abhorrent people pushing for the ban the most, maybe reflect on why you're going "Gotta hand it to him this time." 🙃

Speaking of abhorrent people, ANOTHER person i'd never wanna be siding with is Mitt Romney:

Mitt Romney basically straight up admitted what's happening and everyone wants to put on their deeply confused face.

"A small parenthetical point which is why some wonder why there was such overwhelming support for us to shut down TikTok or other entities. If you look at the postings on TikTok and the number of mentions Palestinians relative to other social media sites, it's overwhelmingly so among TikTok broadcasts."

- Mitt Romney

It isn't even remotely subtle but everyone wants to act deeply confused. It's exhausting. They're saying it *out loud* for fuck's sake, and with zero ambiguity.

It is stunning tbh. Because the outcomes have to be
-Some posters are genuinely so out of touch with how social media is used today that they are genuinely falling for gaslighting by the US government in the form of the same kind of scaremongering that works on Facebook's user base without actually thinking too deeply about it
-Some posters are fully aware and are playing dumb while silently supporting the ban of an app that's very important to marginalized communities and the youth that has to deal with an increasingly out of touch government that's on the brink of full blown fascism.

Last edited:

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
You have people saying it's hypocritical that Twitter and Facebook are still allowed. Pointing out that they aren't in China and that other countries very much do not allow social media from other hostile nations is pretty relevant.
The US government, afaik, hasn't cited the fact that TikTok is operated in a hostile nation as the reason why they're gunning for a ban. They have said:

- It's a national security threat
- It's a threat regarding the mass collection of data
- It is radicalizing people towards left-wing causes

Facebook and Twitter have already been implicated in all three of these concerns. Ergo, if the government were actually acting honestly in that regard, Facebook and Twitter would be on the chopping block. But they aren't. The reason is obvious. They're banning it because it's a Chinese app. Which, I understand. They're an enemy nation. But just say that.

The comments on censorship are a reminder to folks exactly what government they are defending
No one is defending China by saying the reasons the US government gave for banning TikTok don't pass the sniff test. And we also don't want to get into a pissing match about which government is more dangerous because the US still loses in spades.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
What do you mean by this. sometimes the Squad and the freedom caucus align on some issues, we're going to pull out the 'if you agree with MTG, its time for reflection?'
On this specific issue, one wherein the politicians are openly spelling out their motivations, and are openly being racist assholes on camera, you don't gotta hand it to them. Because yes it IS co-signing those viewpoints. Even if unintentionally, hence the need for self reflection. Because this is like the tenth thread on this issue where people try to use the exact same China scaremongering rhetoric that's completely out of touch with three generations of people. Millenials, gen Z, and Gen alpha dont feel threatened by China, because the biggest threat to the US is the US itself.

Last edited:

S-Wind

Nov 4, 2017
GOOD!!!

Have you guys forgotten that the main reason why the TikTok ban is happening now is because AIPAC is unhappy about how much pro-Palestinian content is being shared and spread on that platform?

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
But of course it does. If TikTok had the user base of 4Chan, then legislators, regulators, and the Biden campaign accounts would not be on the platform. Likewise, the Biden campaign doesn't advertise or go on ... I dunno, some obscure ass PatriotNewsNation or w/e, but it does advertise on Fox News. It doesn't mean that criticism of Fox News is a lie, it's that Fox News is -- sadly -- the most popular cable news station in the US, and you have to advertise on it or participate on it, even if you're critical of it and support regulation of it. I believe in a modern day fairness doctrine, I also know that if I had to make the case for a modern day fairness doctrine, that I'd have to do so on platforms that the doctrine would regulate more -- Fox News, TikTok, Facebook, MSNBC, and what ever else.

Two things can be true, TikTok being foreign owned media company can be a risk to American interests enough to regulate it, but also, it has a huge, young user base that sucks up a majority of the screen time of its audience (myself included), and it's an important platform to advertise/post content on.
Bingo. As for the claim of Sinophobia, there's tons of Chinese owned companies being run in the US that aren't being singled out like TikTok.

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017

"A small parenthetical point which is why some wonder why there was such overwhelming support for us to shut down TikTok or other entities. If you look at the postings on TikTok and the number of mentions of Palestinians relative to other social media sites, it's overwhelmingly so among TikTok broadcasts."

- Mitt Romney

it's so fucking annoying

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
The US government, afaik, hasn't cited the fact that TikTok is operated in a hostile nation as the reason why they're gunning for a ban. They have said:

- It's a national security threat
- It's a threat regarding the mass collection of data
- It is radicalizing people towards left-wing causes

Facebook and Twitter have already been implicated in all three of these concerns. Ergo, if the government were actually acting honestly in that regard, Facebook and Twitter would be on the chopping block. But they aren't. The reason is obvious. They're banning it because it's a Chinese app. Which, I understand. They're an enemy nation. But just say that.

I don't know how many times this needs to be said. It's not a ban it's a divestment mandate. And yes that's important because those other companies you mentioned they aren't ran or held by foreign powers so there would be no reason for a divestment mandate.

As it is those other companies, as awful and irresponsible as they are, they are subject to US government oversight and regulation in a way that an app run by a foreign country is not.

The national security threat is a direct result of it being under the purview of the hostile foreign power. It's the core of the reason why it's a security threat.

The other two points could apply to the other companies it's 100% true but those are not the primary reason for demanding divestment. And yea there might be some assholes in government for whom the propaganda angle is their primary motivating factor but it's not why the intelligence industry has been waving red flags and trying to get this addressed for years. this is an example of one of those situations where you have people supporting the right thing for the wrong reasons.

No one is defending China by saying the reasons the US government gave for banning TikTok don't pass the sniff test. And we also don't want to get into a pissing match about which government is more dangerous because the US still loses in spades.
Chinese state actors attempt to compromise US information systems with sensitive data on a regular basis. The place I work for has attempts made on employee accounts on a daily basis. They have the most expensive most expansive digital intelligence gathering apparatus in the world. You want proof that the information security and data collection concerns are real? Look at how the government has handled the use of TikTok on federal employee and military devices. It is not allowed. That wasn't because of leftist memes or propaganda. Blocking an app on government employee devices was done for a reason.

Framing this as if it's coming out of nowhere when this has been an ongoing issue that has been circling litigation for more than 3 years is just not true. The fact it's happening now is because republicans can get away with sloughing it off on democrats and avoid taking the PR hit and Dems are willing to take the hit in order to get important aid deployed to Ukraine, Palestine, Taiwan and Israel. But it's something every single one of them knows needs to happen they just didn't want to be the ones to be held responsible in the backlash from users.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know how many times this needs to be said. It's not a ban it's a divestment mandate. And yes that's important because those other companies you mentioned they aren't ran or held by foreign powers so there would be no reason for a divestment mandate.

As it is those other companies, as awful and irresponsible as they are, they are subject to US government oversight and regulation in a way that an app run by a foreign country is not.
Neither companies have suffered any meaningful consequences for genuinely selling user data to foreign adversaries let alone not only refusing to do anything about the abuse and spread of misinformation on their platforms which contributed to what is the current largest threat to America atm but they straight up BOOSTED that shit. Yet I'm supposed to be concerned about TikTok? If anything, I have no reason to believe that TikTok, owned by America, wouldn't be demonstrably worse.
The national security threat is a direct result of it being under the purview of the hostile foreign power. It's the core of the reason why it's a security threat.
So Sinophobia and addressing an issue that is, very out of touch with what three generations of Americans actually care about instead of addressing the issues America is currently facing. Got it. 👍

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
Criticizing a foreign country's government and their actions and conduct is not racist or Sinophobic. No matter how many times anyone wants to toss that word around and hand waive away what is being said it doesn't make it true. It is beyond obnoxious seeing people try to weaponize an ethnicity as a gotcha against statements that they don't like. Learn what a word means before you use it.