• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Sword Maiden is a definite yes, Cow Girl is almost a definite, Priestess is a maybe (and surprisingly the one that GS has the strongest reaction towards if you read the LN), and the elf girl is definitely not.

Wait are you saying HEA has no interest in GS? I need to catch up on the LNs if true.
Pretty sure Priestess is a yes if spoilers are true.
Also you forgot Guild Girl.

DerpHause

Oct 27, 2017
Sword Maiden is a definite yes, Cow Girl is almost a definite, Priestess is a maybe (and surprisingly the one that GS has the strongest reaction towards if you read the LN), and the elf girl is definitely not.

Not familiar with sword maiden. Anime only and left off at ep 3. Cow girl isn't really part of the party but I did forget her. So at that point its 1, which didn't seem like a harem considering so far.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
Wait are you saying HEA has no interest in GS? I need to catch up on the LNs if true.
Pretty sure Priestess is a yes if spoilers are true.
Also you forgot Guild Girl.

High Elf Archer is more of a 'I want my friend to have fun' in regards to Goblin Slayer instead of 'I want to marry him.'

Youre right, I forgot about Guild Girl.

Right now it seems like the series favor Priestess (going as far as both Cow Girl and Guild Girl supports her in doing a particular something together with Goblin Slayer, and also a particular reaction from him later when she's not at his side)

Not familiar with sword maiden. Anime only and left off at ep 3. Cow girl isn't really part of the party but I did forget her. So at that point its 1, which didn't seem like a harem considering so far.

Yeah at the beginning it's basically just Guild Girl... Cow Girl you can argue for both yes and no.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This show is so bad. I'm making a video about it for my own selfish, cathartic reasons and to test my Yeti mic I just bought and it has required my to get clips from SAO and the 2016 Killing Joke adaptation which makes me hate myself even more.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen several, what one's have you seen where no female members have an interest in the mc (at the point I left of none of the actual party did)?
Saying Goblin Slayer a harem Anime is a mischaracterization of what it is, especially if you frame it in the way that the main character is the kind that the 'losers' who read/watch it can project themselves into.
I don't think it's a harem anime but it definitely has aspects of it with the way all the women orbit around him. It's undeniable.

If you genuinely think none of the women are interested, well, I dunno, pay more attention?

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Do we know if they are just reordering the anime or did they totally skip the farm battle?

Pretty likely a re-ordering because the farm battle atleast provides a much better climax than the arc in volume 2 of GS and its pretty important for the main guy's character development.

Speaking of next episode, the content that its about to cover is gonna be epic really. Its one of the few panels from the manga i wanna see animated. Shit is gonna be intense as hell.

Last edited:

DerpHause

Oct 27, 2017
Within two episodes guild girl and cow girl and priestess are into him to varying degrees. If you chose to ignore that it's on you.

Meh. I ain't playing this game anymore. You're weird!
2nd ep the priestess is questioning the morality of how her abilities are being used by him, not pining after him. Up to ep 4 it's still like a mentor student relationship at best.

Guild girl has to this point shown familiarity. Nothing there suggested more than friendliness at that point. I feel like we're watching different series here.

Compare that to an actual harem series.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Pretty likely a re-ordering because the farm battle atleast provides a much better climax than the arc in volume 2 of GS and its pretty important for the main guy's character development.

Speaking of Next episode, the content that its about to cover is gonna be epic really. Its one of the few panels from the manga i wanna see animated. Shit is gonna be intense as hell.

Oh man I cannot wait for that. This "arc" will probably be 4 episodes if they dont skip anything. I am looking forward to three things
1. Shall not stand. 2. The baby beholder plus goblin fight. 3. GS reassurance to SM how he will come aid her in dealing with her goblins.

Xenoboy

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Calling GS a harem is like people calling Re Zero a harem. In other words completely wrong and you just want to label it as the one thing you dislike the most.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
For those calling it a 'Harem' as someone who's read all the english translated LN volumes, the GS never shows any interest in romance and any romance that occurs is completely one-sided. The only thing that changes in GS is that he begins to familiarize with people as the story goes on and events happen and his character opens up more from the trauma he suffered as a kid and his PTSD. Maybe at the end of the LN series, GS might just discover this new feeling of love but even that is a reach. So yea, its definitely not a harem anime.

Harems doesn't require the MC to show any interest. In fact the vast majority don't as that's how many the writers string the silly scenario along with their incredibly dense MC.

Yea but in those harem anime the MC does fall into love with either all of them or with one of them eventually thats why they're called 'harem' anime as the goal of those harem anime is for the romance to be a central thing in the anime. Sure a normal anime can have a harem sub-plot but thats it really.

Last edited:

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
For those calling it a 'Harem' as someone who's read all the english translated LN volumes, the GS never shows any interest in romance and any romance that occurs is completely one-sided. The only thing that changes in GS is that he begins to familiarize with people as the story goes on and events happen and his character opens up more from the trauma he suffered as a kid and his PTSD. Maybe at the end of the LN series, GS might just discover this new feeling of love but even that is a reach. So yea, its definitely not a harem anime.
Harems doesn't require the MC to show any interest. In fact the vast majority don't as that's how many the writers string the silly scenario along with their incredibly dense MC.

alexiswrite

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, but I think there are different types of density. The density of the MC in most harem stories works in the way of providing a reason why the MC gets into all these wacky and awkward romantic situations. They just have noooo idea what they're doing, it's a plausible deniability that allows for the writer to say "These two characters are going to a shopping mall, but it's not a date or at least that's not what the MC thinks! Hardy Ha Ha". The density of the goblin slayer works in the complete opposite direction, it prevents any and all of those wacky and awkward romantic situations from occurring because he would never even consider engaging in anything that would even sorta look that way. That's why it doesn't feel like a harem story to me.

BigWinnie1

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Yeah, but I think there are different types of density. The density of the MC in most harem stories works in the way of providing a reason why the MC gets into all these wacky and awkward romantic situations. They just have noooo idea what they're doing, it's a plausible deniability that allows for the writer to say "These two characters are going to a shopping mall, but it's not a date or at least that's not what the MC thinks! Hardy Ha Ha". The density of the goblin slayer works in the complete opposite direction, it prevents any and all of those wacky and awkward romantic situations from occurring because he would never even consider engaging in anything that would even sorta look that way. That's why it doesn't feel like a harem story to me.

It also helps that all the women in the story are competent at their jobs and aren't just falling overthemselves for Goblin slayer.

I used to think Cow Girl was a bit generic but if you get the chance to read the Goblin Slayer year one story it fleshes out her side of the relationship and its really just a sad ball of feeling that bind the two of them together. Even if Goblin slayer got with another women I'm not sure he would ever not live with Cow Girl, that is how weird their relationship is.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Season 2 will come

sGTCH6u35k0AaASJ3wPVHyAPmOxQ_3KOoAtccrA2erA.png

Dec 4, 2017
So I managed to watch this at last.

Well... I tend to have tastes that would be viciously panned by a good part of ERA (I unironically like Valkyrie Drive: Mermaid), however, when the Sword Maiden appeared, and she was drawn wearing a shrink wrap boobhugger (with individual... erm, pockets), I was like: "Srsly?".