Airegin

Dec 10, 2017
I always figured celebrities simply had their teeth bleached and straightened but apparently almost every famous person has porcelain veneers, hiding their natural not so pretty teeth underneath. Same thing for most news anchors, politicians and musicians. It even goes way beyond that. Doctors, CEOs, bankers, lawyers. Anyone who's rich really. Any of these pretty smiles can easily cost $100k.

I sure feel better about my teeth now.

Gandie

Oct 27, 2017
It's really obvious once you figure it out. It's the flawless colour and straightness that makes it uncomfortable for me.
sport-prevew-jurgen-klopp-teeth.jpg

CwKmXVPXEAAn2Kk.jpg

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Not just hiding their natural teeth. They file the natural teeth down to basically nubs and fit the veneers over them. Not a thing I would ever do, frankly.

OP
OP

Airegin

Dec 10, 2017
Not just hiding their natural teeth. They file the natural teeth down to basically nubs and fit the veneers over them. Not a thing I would ever do, frankly.

Also, veneers usually last a couple years before they start to chip so they have to be replaced all the time. I imagine it could easily cost $500k+ in a lifetime.

Troublematic

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
This bothers me to no end in any American media I watch. It just looks so fake, like the worst of boob jobs and lip fills.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Klopp's just look whitened to me, the shape of his teeth is the same in both photos. The guy in the other photo looks like Ross from Friends!

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
Btw, while we perceive white teeth as healthy teeth, the reality is that healthy teeth have a somewhat yellow color. Perfectly white teeth are a sign that something is wrong with your health (or that you simply bleach way too much, which of course is also bad for you).

So if your teeth are a bit yellow, congratulations, your teeth are in prime condition :)

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
WHAT?! The people we daily see on our screens and papers use tricks to appear more attractive and healthy than they really are.
Maybe money helps out to overcome hurdles in life more easily.
I'm shocked! The sky is also blue OP.

Is it really that much of a surprise that an industry focused on cosmetic body operations also uses fake teeth?

Shoe

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'd always be weirded out watching Who Wants to Be A Millionaire with Regis Philbin's blindingly white teeth.

Zoc

Oct 27, 2017
Looks good on video and usually terrible in real life. I've seen quite a few people with extensive veneers, and what always happens is that as their gums naturally recede, the old dark brown tooth shows up on their gumline. Really gross.

Civilstrife

Oct 27, 2017
I always figured celebrities simply had their teeth bleached and straightened but apparently almost every famous person has porcelain veneers, hiding their natural not so pretty teeth underneath.

Their teeth aren't there anymore. Not really. They're ground down to nubs to serve as anchors for the veneers.

4b3dde517be7d0fe9ce4208476782369.jpg

Alternatively,

desktop-1510785097.png

You're welcome for the nightmares.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
That's more of an US American thing though. Here in Europe celebrities and rich usually have nice teeth, but they are not quite as perfectly straight and glowing white. They retain more of their natural look.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
I honestly had no idea this was a thing, but ive never really thought about it before. I thought it was just super expensive dental work and some serious bleaching. Thats kinda creepy as shit

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know it was that bad. I honestly hope OP is playing up a bit with those pictures because holy shit. how many of your faves are monster mouths?

Is Taylor Swift actually Tay Sharptooth?

Reversed

Oct 25, 2017
as i have said before, steve-o's look like an AI attempting to create teeth

a9e.jpg

iirc he lost some of them during his jackass career.

OP
OP

Airegin

Dec 10, 2017
That's more of an US American thing though. Here in Europe celebrities and rich usually have nice teeth, but they are not quite as perfectly straight and glowing white. They retain more of their natural look.

I guess it depends where in Europe? I'm in Belgium. Every time I turn on the TV everyone has great teeth. Some are genuine but the majority just can't be.

I'm guessing European celebrities choose a more natural look when having veneers fitted, but most still have veneers.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I'm glad Europe is not on the paper-white teeth bandwagon.

Get them straightened at a young age by an orthodontist, sure. But this american obsession with bleaching the shit out of them just looks ridiculous. Teeth are not supposed to be white as goddamn snow.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
Their teeth aren't there anymore. Not really. They're ground down to nubs to serve as anchors for the veneers.

Alternatively,
You're welcome for the nightmares.

And people say lizard people is a crazy theory. This shits happening right in front of us and we dont talk about it. Its insane.

Like wtf.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Get them straightened at a young age by an orthodontist, sure. But this american obsession with bleaching the shit out of them just looks ridiculous. Teeth are not supposed to be white as goddamn snow.

Yeah, I also had braces for a couple of years when I was young to get them all straight, but bleaching never. My dentists actually advised against it when it was brought up. I also don't know anybody who got their teeth bleached. There are tooth pastes that allegedly whiten the teeth and many people use them, but apparently those don't really work.

Lol, I knew that would happen. I'm from Germany though. Teeth are usually well maintained here. ;)

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I was just about to go to bed when I saw this thread. So thanks for the nightmare fuel, Era.

OP
OP

Airegin

Dec 10, 2017
I'm glad Europe is not on the paper-white teeth bandwagon.

This goes on everywhere. I'm sure that most European celebrities have fake teeth, they just look more natural. I see a lot of people with dentures at my job and they always have a natural color.

OP
OP

Airegin

Dec 10, 2017
I've been looking up pictures of Elon Musk's teeth. Those are definitely veneers.

One big exception is Obama. He has perfect teeth and they're all natural.

Last edited:

Blent

Oct 26, 2017
East Midlands, England, UK
I've always found the US obsession with teeth kind of strange.

I've never paid any attention to the state of teeth of people I know.

Although, if I ever meet someone with unnatural perfect teeth, it sticks out like a sore thumb.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
What's funny is that Americans make fun of other nationalities for having bad teeth while other nationalities make fun of Americans for the obsession with toilet-seat white, uncannily straight teeth.

A lot of your TV hosts are on the brink of the uncanny valley.

OP
OP

Airegin

Dec 10, 2017
What's funny is that Americans make fun of other nationalities for having bad teeth while other nationalities make fun of Americans for the obsession with toilet-seat white, uncannily straight teeth.

A lot of your TV hosts are on the brink of the uncanny valley.

I'm not sure but to me it seems a lot of European TV hosts also have veneers, but not as white?

Ragnar

Oct 28, 2017
I creeps me right the hell out. Actual teeth are not that white or straight.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the fact that a lot of times, veneers protrude from the mouth in a way that real teeth don't, which is also super unnatural and uncanny.

iapetus

Oct 26, 2017

And, actually, for having worse teeth. Despite the US obsession with how bad British teeth are, in terms of decay and other damage to teeth, the US is actually way worse.

According to the OECD (so we're only considering developed countries), 28 percent of adults in England have tooth decay. Compare that to a jaw-dropping 92 percent of adults in America with tooth decay.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
And, actually, for having worse teeth. Despite the US obsession with how bad British teeth are, in terms of decay and other damage to teeth, the US is actually way worse.
I was going to make the point that dental care is far more affordable and accessible in other developed countries, not to mention the dietary aspect.

I'm not sure but to me it seems a lot of European TV hosts also have veneers, but not as white?
Maybe. I'm sure they have work done at least. But the #FFFFFF white teeth is seen as an American thing that gets ridiculed when someone gets it done here.

OP
OP

Airegin

Dec 10, 2017

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the fact that a lot of times, veneers protrude from the mouth in a way that real teeth don't, which is also super unnatural and uncanny.

I've seen a video of the procedure where veneers were put on the teeth without filing them down. I guess they protrude more and that's why in most cases the teeth are filed down?

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
yeah once you notice Hollywood teeth, you notice it everywhere. It can be sort of unnerving if someone's supposed to be playing a 'local color' character and they have Hollywood teeth, it's weird

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Some are, most are not though. Natural enamel can be pretty bright but diet does a lot to stain our teeth.
Only on bad dental work would they. The fronts of the teeth are prepped down about 1mm, then the veneer's are placed over them. They typically are made to be in line with the remaining teeth.

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
I almost couldn't watch the magnificent seven starring Pratt and Washington. Their teeth look too fake especially for cowboys.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
I remember back in the 1970s in the UK, whenever The Osmonds were on television I'd turn the brightness right down and we'd all laugh at the eerily white disembodied teeth moving around.

CrunchyB

Oct 29, 2017
This annoys me in show like The Walking Dead where the characters are living on scraps, probably haven't seen a toothbrush in years but still have blindingly white teeth. Lame.