• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mieumieu

Oct 25, 2017
The Farplane
I see people in many places not only here comparing different hardware platforms and I'm baffled at that most people only think about raw computing power like TFLOPS. It's simply not a good comparison. You also should take stats like ROP, TMU, etc. But today I want to talk about memory bandwidth.

You have the Xbox one which has roughly 70% of computing power of the PS4 but it would perform way worse if devs don't utilize high bandwidth ESRAM well (since it's so small, only 32MB, it takes a effort to plan and utilize it), because it has only DDR3 at 2133MHz.

The issue is even more serious on mobile devices which have even slower RAM in general.
Switch has 1600MHz LPDDR4 for example.

It makes deferred rendering difficult. All the games which utilize that has lower (and dynamic) resolution on switch for example. Also mobile devices can't afford bandwidth heavy effects like multi layer VFX, TAA or even SMAA.

This thread is me ranting but yeah I'm really frustrated at the discourse sometimes.

OP
OP
mieumieu

mieumieu

Oct 25, 2017
The Farplane
Please delete this post mods (temp ban me if you must). I haven't prepared before accidentally hitting send due to mis operation on my phone.

Last edited:

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Yep thats probably its biggest bottleneck

Will probably be resolved with the propethised Switch Pro

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
Also the PS2 has more memory card slots than the switch iirc

So that along with the bandwidth you mentioned makes it seem like the general memory situation was all around somewhat better on PS2

ElFly

Oct 27, 2017
I think this may just be from the graphic synthetizer to its own internal EDRAM. it was just the internal framebuffer of the graphic chip or something, and only had 4MB total

you are comparing apples to oranges

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I just showed my Switch this thread.

It's response?

you_got_me_breaking_bad.gif

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I had no idea the RAM was that slow. Its also good to note Nintendo is generally the only console manufacturer that doesn't tend to sell at a loss.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The Switch has no emotions, the PS2 has a whole engine full of it. If you compare how many more emotional games the PS2 has you can see how much it benefits from it.

Your comparison seems a bit strange but memory bandwith is indeed a problem on the switch from what I understand.

Squarealex

Nov 11, 2017
No surprising, PS2 have UFO hardware.

Can't imagine the power if it has 8 MB Video Memory like Dreamcast.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
And that's exactly why Saddam chose the PS2 over the Switch.

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
OP, I'm afraid your efforts are in vain. Video game forum posters only care about """power""" (but not actual power, just computing efficiency), not the actual technology inside the devices they use.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
PS2 also has more native backwards compatible capabilities than PS4 or Switch iirc

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
It has like a 4,000 bit bus cuz it has to pass over a frame multiple times to get basic stuff done.

PogiJones

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think the reason it doesn't come up is because most of us care only about the end result. Before a console launches, we care about specs because it gives us an idea of how it will perform. But now we have it and know how it performs, so even if an individual spec is technically worse than a PS2 we don't care, because we see and experience the end results, which are far, far beyond the PS2.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Why stop there? NES had bigger sized cartridges compared to the Switch. That must mean Switch is weaker than the NES for sure.

Nov 8, 2017
It's a bottleneck no doubt, although Maxwell at least has very good colour compression technology which iirc helped reduce the bandwidth requirements on Maxwell/Pascal desktop chips.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Switch has no emotions, the PS2 has a whole engine full of it. If you compare how many more emotional games the PS2 has you can see how much it benefits from it.

Your comparison seems a bit strange but memory bandwith is indeed a problem on the switch from what I understand.
I love this reply so much

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I had no idea the RAM was that slow. Its also good to note Nintendo is generally the only console manufacturer that doesn't tend to sell at a loss.

Memory bandwidth is Switch's 'achilles heel'. It's the reason a lot of games don't hit 720p in handheld mode and 1080p in docked mode. Doubling it's memory bandwidth for the eventual Pro will be much more important than the doubling of GPU flops for native resolutions imo.

Flon

Is Here to Kill Chaos
Oct 27, 2017
The Switch doesn't have block towers during its start up too. I'll never know my progress.