Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Nah, fam.

Boiling water in the microwave sounds so .. unnecessarily tedious.

Also if it boils over, ya got a mess in the microwave.

Electric kettles never have that problem.

Electric kettles - 1
Microwaving water - 0

more tedious than heating a kettle and pouring it out?

Water -> Cup -> button -> done.

Don't have to worry about some other device to fill up with water or clean out later.

How does water boil over in a microwave? hahaha.

What if I miss my cup when pouring from the kettle all over my hand and my family members and we are scared for life hahaha.

Adding an extra device/step to hot water in a cup sounds annoying and tedious. Hell, I'd love an instant hot tap to skip even the microwave.

Oct 26, 2017
Stove top rice never turn out as good as rice cooker rice.

bad-life-hacks.png

Woolley

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't fucking matter how water got hot as long as it's hot. It's fucking water.

butzopower

Oct 27, 2017
London
I used to have a rice cooker in college, but I've actually gotten pretty good at making short grain white rice on the stove listening for it to sizzle on low heat. Comes out perfect with that method, I think even better than when I used a rice cooker.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DjI-qDNVsAAUEsO.jpg:large

But even if I didn't have this, why do europeans look down on microwaving water like it's inferior or some shit? Do you know how microwaves work? They literally superheat water.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
more tedious than heating a kettle and pouring it out?
Water -> Cup -> button -> done.
Don't have to worry about some other device to fill up with water or clean out later.
How does water boil over in a microwave? hahaha.
What if I miss my cup when pouring from the kettle all over my hand and my family members and we are scared for life hahaha.
Adding an extra device/step to hot water in a cup sounds annoying and tedious. Hell, I'd love an instant hot tap to skip even the microwave.

1. Yes
2. Water -> Kettle -> Serve in cup, also more convenient if you're serving for multiple people
3.Clean a kettle you only boil water in ? what ?
4. The same way an un-attended kettle can boil over. With electric kettles this is a non-issue entirely.
5. what if you accidentally stick your head inside and turn on the microwave while boiling water in it ? huh ? huh ? huh ?
6. An extra hot tap which always dispenses boiling water will be a good solution, there are cooler/boiler things in my office which do that. Outside of that kettle is the best solution for the home IMO.

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
I just use a stovetop kettle. With a gas stove it doesn't take too long to heat up.

Not that I use a kettle very often, since I don't drink tea. Just about the only thing I have ever used it for is instant cup ramen, and I haven't eaten that stuff much since I finished college.

ObbyDent

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Microwaves are literally designed to move water molecules at the perfect speed to heat it up. What's with the OP looking down on it as if its barbaric?

TwinBahamut

Jun 8, 2018
As someone who basically only drinks hot beverages a couple of times in an entire year, and has not consumed a single cup of hot tea in over two decades... Why on Earth would I ever need an electric kettle?

Stovetop kettles or pots on a gas stove work great for almost all my water-heating needs.

Also, I will say I have heated water in a microwave before. I needed hot, but not boiling, water quickly for a chocolate cake recipe, and just heating the amount I needed in the microwave was by far the easiest solution. For irregular uses, it can be quite handy and safe.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
1. Yes
2. Water -> Kettle -> Serve in cup, also more convenient if you're serving for multiple people
3.Clean a kettle you only boil water in ? what ?
4. The same way an un-attended kettle can boil over. With electric kettles this is a non-issue entirely.
5. what if you accidentally stick your head inside and turn on the microwave while boiling water in it ? huh ? huh ? huh ?
6. An extra hot tap which always dispenses boiling water will be a good solution, there are cooler/boiler things in my office which do that. Outside of that kettle is the best solution for the home IMO.

1. Hmmmm
2. I guess it's both following a reorder of Water -> device -> cup soooo fine.
3. Fine
4. Cup never boils over in microwave when you always set the same time
5. Got me there
6. Mine too and I abuse the hell out of it for tea. For me microwave is best solution at home because I already have it. Don't want to buy another thing that does something the other already does, which is electrically heat water pretty quickly.

Coinspinner

Nov 6, 2017
Oh, so when you all said "heat" in this thread you meant "boil".

That changes things. I wouldn't use a microwave to boil water, but if I just wanted it hot then sure.

OP
OP
galv

galv

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If you notice, op hasn't been in this thread for nearly 45 mins

OP is buying kettles for all uncultured one's in this topic.

Actually it's because I was driving home from work.

Now that I'm here, looks like I misspoke. Not all of you heathens microwave water, but looks like all of y'all boil your water on the stove. Somewhy, that's even worse. At least a microwave is quick. I understand the voltage issue but still, just weird. It's like finding out that Europeans just put one slice of cheese between bread slices and call it a sandwich.

Whatyearisthis.jpg

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, so when you all said "heat" in this thread you meant "boil".

That changes things. I wouldn't use a microwave to boil water, but if I just wanted it hot then sure.

I think this is a good distinction. Simply heating water (for example for gargling etc), microwave is fine.

But for boiling, kettles are preferable.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This thread has helped me realize that I should buy a rice cooker, the stove top kind always turns out awful for me. I'd eat it a lot more with a dedicated appliance.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
I get hot water straight from the faucet

If it needs to be boiled, I put it in a pan on the stove? I don't really use boing water for much besides cooking, as I don't drink tea or coffee

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Actually it's because I was driving home from work.

Now that I'm here, looks like I misspoke. Not all of you heathens microwave water, but looks like all of y'all boil your water on the stove. Somewhy, that's even worse. At least a microwave is quick. I understand the voltage issue but still, just weird. It's like finding out that Europeans just put one slice of cheese between bread slices and call it a sandwich.

Whatyearisthis.jpg
Are you going to take away grilled cheese sandwiches and make us use the word "somewhy" now?

Majik13

Oct 27, 2017
Used to won an electric kettle, but broke after a year or so. So just you the old classic of a kettle on the stove. Which I think is fairly more common than using the microwave? Kettle stays on the stove, thats one less appliance taking up the counter.

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I never drink tea so the cost of an electric kettle isnt woth the time saved against just boiling water on my stove. I think that tea consumption is a big factor in the product being worthwhile.

Ponn

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I used to microwave a cup for hot tea a long time ago. Now I just use my Keurig machine, it's a lot faster than either a microwave or kettle.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
So Americans:

-Wear shoes indoors
-Clap/Howl at everything in cinema
-Live in houses made of cardboard
-Microwave water
-Tip everyone they come in contact with
-Cannot drive manual gearbox

Anything I am missing?
Am I now an Americana expert?

We're all fat. You forgot that one

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
I still don't understand people saying they use a stove top kettle.

An electric kettle boils water so much faster, why not just use one? They're dedicated small appliances. They're also cheap. It's the 21st century lads.

They're such bog standard appliances around most of the world. I get boiled water faster than a stove top or microwave, and then I use the water with my caffettiera/kaffeebereiter or to make tea. There is no better way.

Not owning an electric kettle in most of the world is like not owning a tooth brush.

I don't need my tea super fast and it gets the job done.

Oct 28, 2017
I'm an American and I own an electric kettle. Dumb generalizations are dumb.

If you're just trying to say that they are awesome and more people should own them, then I agree.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I'm America, and I own an electric kettle. It has a robot arm that dips tea in at the perfect temperature for the perfect time depending on the settings (black vs green, etc.) and is programmable.

Growing up we had a stovetop kettle for tea.

https://www.amazon.com/Breville-BTM800XL-One-Touch-Tea-Maker/dp/B003LNOPSG

81%2BpgHhjBML._SL1500_.jpg

Hey that's not bad for 15 bucks. Wait, how much does that cost? $240 for a robot arm to make tea for me? Yeah, I'll stick with my stove top kettle.

But only because I spent all my money on my rice cooker...

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
1 : Water is room temperature

2 : ???

3 : Water is hot

The goal was achieved. If I told you there was a quicker way to get from 1 to 3, would you do it OP?

GrizzleBoy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i have a kettle it's pretty useful

I have a kettle. Girlfriend has one too. They're convenient.

I bought an electric kettle after visiting a European friend's house. I wanted that black magic power.

What the fuh.......It's like listening to aliens pretending to be humans.

"Yes, I too enjoy frequent use of an, *looks at notes* , an e-lectrical kettle!".