• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
Seems like more of an age thing than a "hardcore" thing. Hardcore here means you like bloodborne and not assassin's creed. But a complete inability to understand something as basic as this or other modern gaming staples like Twitch indicate an aging forum population.

I don't even agree it's an age thing. Not "getting" Twitch is an age thing. Fortnite is popular because it's actually a very good videogame. There's literally nothing about that to understand.

I think it's more a case of just being tediously thick headed and awkward about everything that we see a lot on ERA.

Football Player: "Yeah I did the dance from Fortnite because I play the game regularly..."

Resetera Member: *Pushes up glasses* "...Actually..."

This is amazing. Might as well be this forums motto.

Aegis Renfro

Jan 11, 2018
People are dead set on taking everything away from Black culture and calling it theirs...
It's the shoot dance. It's shooting dice.

(I cant wait until we get some clip of little 6-year-old white kids in a group dancing to Kids Bop and they're all trying hard to hit the shoot)

Nov 1, 2017
Why do 'hardcore' gamers get so upset and arsey when a game goes mainstream? It's embarrassing.

To be fair I don't think the behavior is unique to the enthusiast gaming crowd. There's always some push back from any enthusiasts whenever there's a generational shift or when something niche becomes more socially relevant. You can find those sort of responses from people who are into board games, movies, and even books. It's silly but I don't think it's a big deal, there are going to be some "Old Man Yells At Crowd" folks but the rest are either going to happily be content with their niche or ride the new waves along with everyone else.

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
Seems like more of an age thing than a "hardcore" thing. Hardcore here means you like bloodborne and not assassin's creed. But a complete inability to understand something as basic as this or other modern gaming staples like Twitch indicate an aging forum population.

I'm old though, and I much prefer Bloodborne to Assassins Creed. I don't play Fortnite but I can still acknowledge how huge the game is.
"Because these 'casuals and normies' don't understand my passion, they don't deserve to be part of this". At least that's what I've actually heard and read from people, it's stupid. I've witnessed similar sentiments when it comes to the MCU, some people feel like it going mainstream was bad and people who don't follow comics closely aren't worth it. It's really sad lol.

I think you're spot on. Seeing people get all elitist about their hobby is funny.

GitarooMan

Oct 27, 2017
The Fortnite (and Twitch) saltiness is definitely not an age thing; it's an elitism thing and it's extremely offputting and downright embarrassing in some instances

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
"Because these 'casuals and normies' don't understand my passion, they don't deserve to be part of this". At least that's what I've actually heard and read from people, it's stupid. I've witnessed similar sentiments when it comes to the MCU, some people feel like it going mainstream was bad and people who don't follow comics closely aren't worth it. It's really sad lol.

There is 100% some of that going on but I think some people are just sick of reading about it. We have a lot of Fortnite threads so if the game irks you seeing them pop up everyday is probably annoying, though in that case the smart move is not to open the thread and post about how salty you are about it

The MCU going mainstream was legitimately awful as now we get what feels like 10 formulaic action comedy superhero films a year that are impossible to avoid

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
It being around before Fortnite is completely irrelevant. The story is that they did the dance because of the game.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
What if he's playing one of those knockoff PUBG/Fortnite games and it has that dance in it. "It's from the video game"

SusumuStreet

Jan 2, 2018
Why do 'hardcore' gamers get so upset and arsey when a game goes mainstream? It's embarrassing.
Same thing as edgy teens who 'discover' bands/artists before they have mainstream success and then get either defensive or dismissive once they become popular. This isn't a new thing or specific to games, it's just another version of cliquish tribal behavior between the arbitrarily defined ins and outs.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

ethanny2

Nov 3, 2017
"The Shoot" dance was popularized from some jb blocboy song. It's origin is not from Fortnite but obviously many people only know it from the game

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
5b2e58c3fc7e933c768b45b0.jpg

can Epic pls put this into Fortnite?
Are they getting a two match ban for that? They said something about that earlier.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't even agree it's an age thing. Not "getting" Twitch is an age thing. Fortnite is popular because it's actually a very good videogame. There's literally nothing about that to understand.

I think it's more a case of just being tediously thick headed and awkward about everything that we see a lot on ERA.

same as it ever was

remember when this place was gonna be different

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
Is there even a dance in Fortnite that originated from the game? There's no Fortnite dance, is there? Most of the dances in that game is stolen from pop culture. Should be common knowledge for any one who partake in the gaming community.

KyngKee

Oct 25, 2017
Fortnite didn't steal anything lol. Blocboy has played Fortnite recently so I'm sure he gave the ok for the dance being put in the game, same with Drake.

No, Fortnite did steal these dances and didn't compensate anyone. Even the backpack kid said they stole his floss dance and didn't pay him. He was okay with it, but still a lot of these dances in the game we know who originated them and none of them were compensated. Because they're dances I'm not sure if you can even trademark it so Epic is within their rights to add them in the game...

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
Same thing as edgy teens who 'discover' bands/artists before they have mainstream success and then get either defensive or dismissive once they become popular. This isn't a new thing or specific to games, it's just another version of cliquish tribal behavior between the arbitrarily defined ins and outs.
I wonder how many of the people hating on Fortnite also post about wanting gaming to be more inclusive and less toxic. It's a strange phenomenon.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Is there even a dance in Fortnite that originated from the game? There's no Fortnite dance, is there? Most of the dances in that game is stolen from pop culture. Should be common knowledge for any one who partake in the gaming community.

If you read the OP it was their son that said it was the "Fortnite dance". I'm not sure why everyone here is insistent on correcting a kid...

BDubsLegend

Banned
Jan 24, 2018
It's ridiculous to think Fortnite invented these dances. It's even more silly when you're from where the dance originated. It's cool people of other cultures get to enjoy and experience it but thinking it's a Fortnite thing only is saddening

itchi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is anyone actually claiming that Fortnite invented the dance? But the reason he did the dance was that it is in Fortnite. I don't think it is that difficult to understand.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
For real though, anyone who acts surprised when there's a pushback to calling these "Fortnite dances" is being a bit daft.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Remember Pokemon Go?

Yes, it was soo barebone and the interest faded away because Niantic honestly couldn't handle such a big success.

Here Epic is doing everything to keep the momentum: from new contents every week to accessibility (the game is available on every platform except the 3DS, and the quality of these ports are really good).

I guess that minority who hates this game they hate all kinds of phenomenon in general, i'm playing it almost regularly on Switch right now (never did it before) and i can see where the success is coming from:

- It's like PUBG but better (no bugs, less cheaters, frame rate is mostly good even on Switch)

- matchmaking is super fast, perfect for quick matches.

- microtransactions are there the but only for cosmetics (and i'd admit some of the skins are cool)

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
There is 100% some of that going on but I think some people are just sick of reading about it. We have a lot of Fortnite threads so if the game irks you seeing them pop up everyday is probably annoying, though in that case the smart move is not to open the thread and post about how salty you are about it

For how big the game is we don't have a lot of threads popping up here on it.

We do have a lot of threads popping up every day about Nintendo game X, God of War, Bloodborne etc. and these people seem to have no problem with this.

It's clear the real reason is just that they can't cope with something they dislike being so successful. Add on the fact that Fortnite represents so much of what they dislike about games (and the process of the industry leaving them behind) these days and you get the kind of patheticness we see here.

Noah Om

Oct 25, 2017
This is me.

And I'm not hating on the game and actually love that people liking it. Games like this moves the culture forward I believe. It's just not for me.

Still, because I'm not into it I don't understand these things surrounding it and that makes me feel a little bit stupid and out of touch...

Hey and that's totally okay, don't feel stupid/out of touch if it's just not up your alley :)

Trust me, I felt the same when Pokemon Go was blowing up in Summer 2016. I was so fascinated by how into the game people were, but I was definitely happy so many people were enjoying themselves/being more active.

bshock

Self-requested permanent ban
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
People are dead set on taking everything away from Black culture and calling it theirs...
It's the shoot dance. It's shooting dice.

(I cant wait until we get some clip of little 6-year-old white kids in a group dancing to Kids Bop and they're all trying hard to hit the shoot)

What's up with this forum and people claiming white people are trying to claim the world as their own? It's rampant in off topic but I'm seeing it more and more in gaming lately.

Araujo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
esportes-copa94.gif

Fortnite can claim the World Cup when they add this Emote... not before that.

And yeah, we live in a cross media world now. A bit harder to pinpoint the "origin" of certain things... some people still think that claiming items from your dead body ( AKA Corpse run) was invented by Dark souls...

stersauce

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
san jose, ca
I would've agreed but the shoot dance was extremely popular before Fortnite

But y'all are weird for hating a video game this much

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
But like....

If the artist (or kid with backpack) that originated the dance isn't anywhere NEAR as popular as Fortnite is...

How is it hard to understand that the game popularized it and not the artist?

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
And people are doing them because of Fortnite. This one is still pretty popular outside of fortnite though so it probably isn't inspired by the game.

Nah, generally Epic is putting them into Fortnite because people are doing them.

All of these dances were viral sensations BEFORE being included in Fortnite.

Status
Not open for further replies.