• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How often should I shower?

• Once or more a day every day - even weekends!

Votes: 1,439 80.9%
  • Every couple of days since I have an enchanting musk

Votes: 287 16.1%
  • Once a week, I enjoy smelling like a foot

Votes: 11 0.6%
  • I don't allow clean water to touch me since my natural oils and scent allow me to ward off predators

Votes: 41 2.3%

• Total voters

sanstesy

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
How am I discrediting scientific studies when you're the one contradicting the doctors in the article? And what scientific studies have you even presented here? You're petty and disingenuous as fuck dude.

I am not discrediting anything in the article but I think everyone but you knows this by now. There are countless articles around this topic and of course there are studies.

That's why these articles exist in the first place.

Exile20

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't there a thread in GAF about just using a wash clothe and no soap?

Your body oils are preserved and your body regulates itself after a while.

The problem is we grow up bathing everyday and using soap then we have to compensate by buying cream/lotion to replace those oils that we wash away with soap. That in it self doesn't make sense. Why strip your natural oils then to replace it?

We are so used to bathing everyday with soap that anything else is considered nasty/uncomfortable/etc.

I am sure you don't have to bathe everyday. Now with that said once a week is kinda extreme and I am sure it depends on the climate you live in also and the work you are doing.

Would be interesting to actually try out once a week but not to be nasty but see if it could actually work.

Maybe it is more using soap once a week, would make more sense?

sleepInsom

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am not discrediting anything in the article but I think everyone but you knows this by now. There are countless articles around this topic and of course there are studies.

That's why these articles exist in the first place.

What studies? The link you've given has no studies. Did you just randomly grab an article from Google? I'd think someone who's so hostile about me contradicting studies would have read some already instead linking to an article you evidently didn't even read.

Here's something you can read, though:

One possible compromise: showering twice a day.

Caroline Bottger, a content marketing manager from New York, says that while she usually showers in the morning, she will sometimes shower twice, a decision influenced by her father, who grew up in the tropics and had that habit.

Doing so twice a day is generally fine for your skin and scalp, Dr. Goldenberg said, as long as both showers are quick and you don't have severe eczema or dermatitis.

Last edited:

manhack

Oct 27, 2017
I shower every day and sometimes twice depending on my workout schedule or outdoor activity. However, I use the same principle outlined in the article and don't use soap and shampoo every time I shower. Post workout showers always focus on cleaning groin and pits though.

Aiustis

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Cybertronic Purgatory
Wasn't there a thread in GAF about just using a wash clothe and no soap?

Your body oils are preserved and your body regulates itself after a while.

The problem is we grow up bathing everyday and using soap then we have to compensate by buying cream/lotion to replace those oils that we wash away with soap. That in it self doesn't make sense. Why strip your natural oils then to replace it?

We are so used to bathing everyday with soap that anything else is considered nasty/uncomfortable/etc.

I am sure you don't have to bathe everyday. Now with that said once a week is kinda extreme and I am sure it depends on the climate you live in also and the work you are doing.

Would be interesting to actually try out once a week but not to be nasty but see if it could actually work.

Maybe it is more using soap once a week, would make more sense?
Shower once a week. Birdbath the rest

Oct 26, 2017
California
I literally cannot do this. I have terrible acne breakouts in my shoulder / upper back area that will show up if I miss a day of bathing and soaping up right there. I think I need some Accutane or something, but that's life for now.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Once or twice a day on summer, 5-7 times a week on winter, depending on activity.

Works fine.

Gonzalez

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The people taking this doctors word, and running with it...
520CP8.gif

NeonBlack

Oct 25, 2017
That settles it, I'm showering once a week from now on. Finally everyone will know I work out.

Rangerx

Oct 25, 2017
Dangleberry
Yeah I shower around three times a week except in times of extreme heat(such as now) or if I'm doing something strenuous. Its really bizarre how some people feel they need to shower every day due to obsessive hygiene.

SolmisateSol

Nov 2, 2017
I shower twice a day, once in the morning once before I go to sleep, I'm sweaty and gross and those showers are the only time I feel truly clean fuck anything else.

plngsplsh

Oct 28, 2017
In what world do people not smell bad after even a few days? Kids maybe but once puberty hits so does the smell.

In a world with with more variables than BOOLEAN has_showered. Some do, some don't. Depends on climate, body, diet, health, clothing habits, activity, and not least of all the person breathing the particles emitted from the person in question.

To be more clear, I should have added a qualifier to the quoted sentence: Not showering everyday doesn't necessarily make you smell terrible.

Oct 25, 2017
It's funny how multiple times the article says you don't need to shower everyday, you'll just give off bo that's it.

This doctor probably an era member trying to justify why she stinks. People are not showering everyday to get rid bacteria. They shhwer to look clean and smell good.

Nov 23, 2017
Nice to know I've been doing it right all along. I used to shower more in my teens/20's but I can tell my skin has taken a hit as I get older and its more irrating than refreshing to bathe too often.

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I shower every day because I usually work out in the mornings. I wash my hair twice a week, once regular and one other with deep cleaning stuff.

I dunno it's kind of easy shit to wash yourself. We're not children (are we?)

sleepInsom

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In a world with with more variables than BOOLEAN has_showered. Some do, some don't. Depends on climate, body, diet, health, clothing habits, activity, and not least of all the person breathing the particles emitted from the person in question.

To be more clear, I should have added a qualifier to the quoted sentence: Not showering everyday doesn't necessarily make you smell terrible.

Whether something or someone smelling terribly is subjective, and for all intents and purposes more accurately gauged by the people around you than yourself. You thinking your natural BO is fine doesn't necessarily mean someone won't take offense to that. Is is not betterm, then, to spend an extra 5 minutes a day to err on the side of caution for the sake of people around you?

plngsplsh

Oct 28, 2017
Whether something or someone smelling terribly is subjective, and for all intents and purposes more accurately gauged by the people around you than yourself. You thinking your natural BO is fine doesn't necessarily mean someone won't take offense to that. Is is not betterm, then, to spend an extra 5 minutes a day to err on the side of caution for the sake of people around you?

I can do that just as well without taking a full shower.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
Takes 15 minutes and it's relaxing and you smell good after.

I shower daily but it takes me longer than that and I'll admit I hate doing it. I totally understand the stinky-butts even though I would never want to stink like they do.

First, I don't know how anyone with a decent amount of hair can take a comprehensive shower where they get wet, soaped & scrubbed, and then thoroughly rinsed, including washing and rinsing their hair, then dried, in 15 minutes. I'm a bigger person so I have a bigger body I guess, and I still have most of my hair. I also have to rinse off very thoroughly or I will get itchy from the soap later.

Second, taking a shower is a boring, rote procedure that I don't find enjoyable in the least. I try to sing and think about my day, etc. but that just seems to lead to the shower taking longer as I will catch myself just standing there under the water thinking instead of washing. The worst part is getting out, where I am either cold or humid/hot, never perfectly comfortable.

The only thing I enjoy about showers is not stinking afterwards.

Owarifin

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I workout almost everyday,
feel pretty gross without a shower.
That sweat needs to be washed off...

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
I skip a morning every once in a while, but then again, my job doesn't require me to run around at all. Any time I've done more than two days without showering, I've felt too gross to function.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I feel gross and icky if I go over 24 hours without a shower. Hell, I don't feel great when I shower the night before and sleep on it.

Every day in the morning and every time I go to the gym.

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I did. Science be damned, just shower once a day. Just because you don't need to for the sake of disease and stuff doesn't mean you won't smell terrible.
Likewise, missing a shower for a day doesn't mean you will "smell terrible" (as long as you haven't been doing hard exercise or it's super hot). And it might help your skin preserve its oils and acids.

Also saves water, AKA the oil of the 21st century.

wisdom0wl

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah you could probably could a few days without showering.

But please don't. NO ONE wants to smell your natural odor. Please god, shower everyday you grotesque heathens.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I shower in the morning, primarily to wash my hair which gets very oily overnight.

I shower at night after I'm done exercising. Definitely don't want to go to bed feeling grimy.

I try to exercise in the morning so I don't need to shower at night, but that doesn't always pan out.

okayfrog

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If only everyone stopped showering everyday and dropped to 1-2 times a week. Then we could all become adapted to each other's smells, cut down on water usage, save money on soap/water, and live healthier lives.

plngsplsh

Oct 28, 2017
Ah, so you're assuming that one person whom has become accustomed to your odor, and likely has similar habits, shares the same sensibilities as the world at large.

And I'm also assuming that the smell emitting from my body can't be too bad, if I haven't exercised or worked physically, wear clean clothes and shower every other day. It's not like I'm smelling of urine, shit, cigarette smoke, alcohol, or musty clothes. A faint whiff of sweat shouldn't really be offensive. It's not like I'm cuddling with the world at large.

Zocano

Oct 26, 2017
I usually only end up showering twice or once a week unfortunately. I would like to shower more often but I am both lethargic and depressed and sort of shift between sleeping, sitting and doing not much of anything, and playing some video games in not any particular order or schedule. When I actually have to go out and do stuff I absolutely shower but since I just stay at home and be effectively a human paperweight, I don't have an intense desire or real need to shower that incredibly often. I graduated college not too long ago and have not landed a job yet so that's where most of my ability to be a depressed lethargic mess comes from.

ErichWK

Oct 25, 2017
Sandy Eggo
I have a girlfriend and need to smell nice for bed time snuggles. So every night. If you smell, you fucking smell wash your ass.

sleepInsom

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And I'm also assuming that the smell emitting from my body can't be too bad, if I haven't exercised or worked physically, wear clean clothes and shower every other day. It's not like I'm smelling of urine, shit, cigarette smoke, alcohol, or musty clothes. A faint whiff of sweat shouldn't really be offensive. It's not like I'm cuddling with the world at large.

Right. Which is why I said logically it's better to spend an extra 5 minutes a day in order to err on the side of caution instead of assuming you don't smell, especially when a lot of people have sensitive smelling. Your only argument here is "But I don't wanna" considering you're standing in the shower and can't be bothered to step in the water like you're the Wicked Witch of the West. Washing your taint and pits is supposed to be a last resort, not default behavior.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Yeah I'm not letting my crotch or ass go a day without bathing.

maja

Oct 28, 2017
So much writing about terrible body odor, if you don't shower daily.
Not wearing old clothes, full of dried sweat is way more important.

plngsplsh

Oct 28, 2017
Right. Which is why I said logically it's better to spend an extra 5 minutes a day in order to err on the side of caution instead of assuming you don't smell, especially when a lot of people have sensitive smelling. Your only argument here is "But I don't wanna" considering you're standing in the shower and can't be bothered to step in the water like you're the Wicked Witch of the West. Washing your taint and pits is supposed to be a last resort, not default behavior.

Do you have any authoritative data on that?

So much writing about terrible body odor, if you don't shower daily.
Not wearing old clothes, full of dried sweat is way more important.

That's also my experience. I find the smell of old or musty clothes far more offensive than the faint smell of sweat. I would also go so far and claim that this may be the main offender for people that claim they are offended by natural body odor.

Last edited: