▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Zombiepowder_4886.jpg

Zombie Powder was better than Bleach shame it got cancelled

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
I never knew that Bleach got canceled. No wonder the ending was such an unsatisfying mess.
In fairness they allowed him to do a final for the series so it could end on his terms. He got cancelled because his final arc went on for four years, with no end in sight. Dude straight up took advantage of the editors doing him a solid.

Oct 25, 2017
Lol, MHA still hasn't matched pre-timeskip Kishimoto (Naruto) yet, let alone One Piece, but he is way better than Kubo.
The thing with Naruto is that the highs it had were buried under terrible pacing and several of the most polarizing main characters. Even the best moments of the series like Rock Lee vs. Gaara, the Zabuza arc, and the Sasuke Retrieval Arc had some really bad pacing and frequently would break the flow of encounters to exposit on backstory or the mechanics of something we've already seen. Deku is also immensely more likeable than Naruto and Sasuke ever were.

When you take the work as a whole and not just focus on the handful of extreme standout moments Naruto had, MHA is the superior work.

Better than like the one picture of Miura circulating around.

I'd kill to actually see Miura sit down and draw.

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
Let's not kid ourselves here, I love One Piece to death, and Oda's drawings have more style and soul than like 90% of manga out there, but his draftsmanship is below average at best. Even that aside, I can at least give Kubo props for his drawing skill and character design.
seriously tho, i actually quite like Kubo's character designs, and wished for a long time he only did the art, and someone else would write. as a whole package tho, i still prefer Oda, specially because he does backgrounds.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It really wasn't, maybe post Arrancar but even Pre SS arc was much better than Zombie Powder.
Pre SS was the best part of the manga, when he was ripping off Yu Yu Hakusho.
Its when he started ripping off Saint Seiya's Sanctuary arc with the soul society that it went downhill

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
In 1996, Chief editor Kazuhiko Torishima, known as editor for Dragon Ball, scolded Kubo that his manga was terrible and recommended him to read Dragon Ball and Fist of the North Star first volumes.

I didn't like Bleach beyond Soul Society, but this is immensely shitty on the part of the editor.

I'd argue that a lot of the weakest elements of modern manga stem from people trying too hard to emulate DB in particular. How many brainless young male protagonists do we need?

Ichigo was actually refreshing in that regard, it just sucks that Kubo had no plans for the story post-SS.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
As if Kubo couldn't actually be less deserving of any respect....
At least he is like one of us : waiting for Togashi to continue his glorious work.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The thing with Naruto is that the highs it had were buried under terrible pacing and several of the most polarizing main characters. Even the best moments of the series like Rock Lee vs. Gaara, the Zabuza arc, and the Sasuke Retrieval Arc had some really bad pacing and frequently would break the flow of encounters to exposit on backstory or the mechanics of something we've already seen. Deku is also immensely more likeable than Naruto and Sasuke ever were.

When you take the work as a whole and not just focus on the handful of extreme standout moments Naruto had, MHA is the superior work.

I'd kill to actually see Miura sit down and draw.
I'd agree that MHA is superior to Naruto as a whole atm, but it's not a completely fair comparison since MHA is still ongoing and could possibly go down hill like Naruto did

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Unfortunately it didn't show on his work.

Bleach went downhill fast after Aizen arc, even then it couldn't touch any of OP's best arc like Enies Lobby or Marineford.
Bleach was never really that good, it's a constant buildup with no payoff.
The SS arc was fantastic as a setup but there's never any payoff, it's rushed badly at the end and resolved in the least satisfying manner...which could have worked if the other arcs worked as payoff for the setup but nope.
One day someone will make an edit of Bleach and we'll get the full potential of Bleach...or we can just get YYH I guess.

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't like Bleach beyond Soul Society, but this is immensely shitty on the part of the editor.

I'd argue that a lot of the weakest elements of modern manga stem from people trying too hard to emulate DB in particular. How many brainless young male protagonists do we need?

Ichigo was actually refreshing in that regard, it just sucks that Kubo had no plans for the story post-SS.
The guy probably wasn't talking about having a dumb protagonist, but about panelling or story structure. I mean, Kubo sounds full of himself in these anecdotes, so if they wanted him to improve a slap in the face was probably the only way to get through to him. You can't sugarcoat things with some people, you just won't get through if you do.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

That's inherent to the shonen manga unfortunately. And regarding DB, the editor is probably pointing into something like this https://kotaku.com/the-genius-of-the-dragon-ball-manga-1578356576 and not the narrative structure which admittedly isn't really important to shonen audience.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Honestly, as someone who reads a lot of shonen, Ichigo really isn't much smarter than most shonen heroes, and the only real example of intelligence he has is them saying he gets good grades, which is a textbook example of telling rather than showing since he never actually does anything smart. Furthermore, I don't think his suggestion was to emulate them completely (which wouldn't even make sense since FotNS is literally not even close to Dragonball in any sense other than that both are action series that ran in Shonen Jump) but rather to look at some of the biggest and most successful series of the past in order to look and see what they did well and think about how he could use the lessons of what made them standout to better his own work

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow, is he really upset? Well... Should've made a better manga. At least it's a little better than Fairy Tail? Maybe?

Horikoshi is better than both of them tbh

It has a more consistent foundation than Naruto I guess, though not nearly as many hype moments as Naruto had at that point in time. Also MHA's latest arc was the worst one yet imo.

One Piece though? Lol nah

Deleted member 268

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bleach up until the end of Soul Society > One Piece up until Alabasta, and that's about it really.

Still, One Piece fell off massively post time-skip. It ain't been the same since.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How can anyone be sure of this not being just some healthy rivalry?

I think that the only evidence of this is that they don't draw commemorative covers for each other?
I mean, can you really call it a rivalry when one side is and has always been leagues more successful than the other, and has also never shown any hint of animosity towards the other? Oda and Kishimoto clearly shared a rivalry (even if Oda was generally ahead there as well) which has been well documented in interviews, but even at it's height Bleach was always a distant third

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
He had no personality and no reason why he fights so hes just boring.

It's actually ok as long as there's something supporting the manga and the story.
The problem with Bleach is that Ichigo is supposed to be the anchor of the whole thing but he's just flat as a plank so it falls apart.
And we're never given any reason to care about Soul society anyway, they're just jerks who somehow help the hero and fight a lot.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bleach up until the end of Soul Society > One Piece up until Alabasta, and that's about it really.

Still, One Piece fell off massively post time-skip. It ain't been the same since.

Arlong Park alone was better lol

Bleach was cool back in the day, but I wouldn't go that far. Not to mention I have issues with Ichigo as a protagonist in general. Even as the manga ended, he remained dull as hell to the very end.

KZXcellent

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It has a more consistent foundation than Naruto I guess, though not nearly as many hype moments as Naruto had at that point in time. Also MHA's latest arc was the worst one yet imo.

One Piece though? Lol nah

I could never get into One Piece. I've tried at various points for years. I've found MHA to be really consistent though I'll agree that it Naruto had some really hype points early on as well. I also really enjoyed this recent arc.

Oct 25, 2017
That's inherent to the shonen manga unfortunately. And regarding DB, the editor is probably pointing into something like this https://kotaku.com/the-genius-of-the-dragon-ball-manga-1578356576 and not the narrative structure which admittedly isn't really important to shonen audience.
Agreed. early Dragon Ball at least should be required reading for anyone interested in drawing comics. Especially action comics. The way the paneling compliments the action is fucking incredible but it's something I never noticed until it was pointed out to me. Super Eyepatch Wolf's video on this is great and goes through even more examples.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Kubo would have done fine with Bleach if he had stuck with the Ghostbusters-like premise.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Kubo has a problem where rather than develop his characters he'll create 10 more. He laid the foundation for all his problems in the SS arc.

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
It's actually ok as long as there's something supporting the manga and the story.
The problem with Bleach is that Ichigo is supposed to be the anchor of the whole thing but he's just flat as a plank so it falls apart.
And we're never given any reason to care about Soul society anyway, they're just jerks who somehow help the hero and fight a lot.
That's generally a factor of Ichigo's blandness. He's written like he's got some kind of crazy charisma that can turn enemies into allies, like Goku or Yusuke or Luffy, but we're never shown that at any point in the series.

It's also a factor of Kubo just introducing new characters when he gets stuck plotwise. Oh, Ichigo can't open that door? Let's introduce a character whose only purpose is to give him the key to the door. As a result the cast bloats to insane levels.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow, is he really upset? Well... Should've made a better manga. At least it's a little better than Fairy Tail? Maybe?

Fairy Tail is unfortunately dragged by fan services and constant addition of new characters, which made pretty much everyone paper thin in depth department.

On side note, I'm amazed on how much Mashima improved his art (see early Rave then compare to FT ) unfortunately it's opposite when it comes to his story.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
That's generally a factor of Ichigo's blandness. He's written like he's got some kind of crazy charisma that can turn enemies into allies, like Goku or Yusuke or Luffy, but we're never shown that at any point in the series.

It's also a factor of Kubo just introducing new characters when he gets stuck plotwise. Oh, Ichigo can't open that door? Let's introduce a character whose only purpose is to give him the key to the door. As a result the cast bloats to insane levels.
I bought into early Ichigo just being a teen with no real life goals. It was refreshing to see a shounen protagonist that didn't want to be the greatest at something.

Abu

Oct 25, 2017
😏
The pinnacle of Bleach was from the very beginning till the Soul Society Arc. Went downhill real quick after. Did not give a fuck about some arrancers or fullbringer shit, should've ended right after Ichigo saved Rukia.

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017

That's true, but goddamn if those characters weren't more interesting than Ichigo a majority of the time.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
Kubo fucked over Gin and Starrk. As someone who's only gotten into OP over the last year, get bent Kubo, go start a fashion company or some shit.

Kishido

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kubo should have filled the blank pages with content and maybe he would have done better.

Bleach went to total shit after Aizen... And the final arc was the worst stuff I have ever read... Even worse as Naruto Part 2 and the ninja war.

This all said... There is nothign to praise about Oda post time skip as well. One huge dragged disappointment

Status
Not open for further replies.