Status
Not open for further replies.

turmoil7

Community Resettler - Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, can you really call it a rivalry when one side is and has always been leagues more successful than the other, and has also never shown any hint of animosity towards the other? Oda and Kishimoto clearly shared a rivalry (even if Oda was generally ahead there as well) which has been well documented in interviews, but even at it's height Bleach was always a distant third
I mean, yes, a rivalry between a fly and a whale, but this doesn't look so damning in my eyes, it could perfectly be a jokingly comment taken to the extremes by readers.

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Agreed. early Dragon Ball at least should be required reading for anyone interested in drawing comics. Especially action comics. The way the paneling compliments the action is fucking incredible but it's something I never noticed until it was pointed out to me. Super Eyepatch Wolf's video on this is great and goes through even more examples.

I did already hold DB to pretty high standards in terms of art, but this video made me appreciate it so much more

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Kubo has a problem where rather than develop his characters he'll create 10 more. He laid the foundation for all his problems in the SS arc.

That's another thing Oda beats him at. Oda juggles even more characters overall, but he's smart enough to know which ones actually deserve a good amount of screentime, and which don't.

Also when the arc is over, he actually lets them go on their merry way, with us maybe seeing them again one day.

Bleach on the other hand, he introduced the Lieutenants, the Captains, the Visored, etc., and tries to make them all matter. It's just a mess.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
That's generally a factor of Ichigo's blandness. He's written like he's got some kind of crazy charisma that can turn enemies into allies, like Goku or Yusuke or Luffy, but we're never shown that at any point in the series.

It's also a factor of Kubo just introducing new characters when he gets stuck plotwise. Oh, Ichigo can't open that door? Let's introduce a character whose only purpose is to give him the key to the door. As a result the cast bloats to insane levels.
Even ballooning cast is just a symtom rather than the issue I feel.
The only recurring important part of the cast is Ichigo, everything centers around him and relates to him in a way.
All the other characters serves no purposes but to prop strawberry boy up, they could be interesting but they're usually given so little time to be useful and they're so inconsequential that they're just filler for the buildup anyway.
Ichigo is flat like a plank and is never shown being that exceptional anyway (in a funny way, the only reason he was important in part 2 was because he was NEVER SHOWN the special skill the villain had...which proved pointless anyway).
It's constant buildup that go nowhere.
It's a major problem for manga because it makes reading a chore once you know that.
Even with ballooning cast it could have worked, that's the whole point of the "villain of the week" format after all.
Heck even Pokemon manages it fairly well, the hero is a bit flat but it works because the main character isn't a void of personality that we are given no reason to care about.

Gonzalez

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
dec.gif
Whatever he's using to hold up his body seems to be falling apart in this gif.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
That's true, but goddamn if those characters weren't more interesting than Ichigo a majority of the time.
Fairly certain Kubo hated Ichigo by the end. He's the only MC I remember to have a month's long hyped power up be defeated without showing it off andfor it to never in actually be fully shown off. He also off-panel him like a side character with no importance at all given (this was before said power up had been shown off)

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
I bought into early Ichigo just being a teen with no real life goals. It was refreshing to see a shounen protagonist that didn't want to be the greatest at something.
I'm not talking about wanting to be the best at something. I'm talking about having any kind of driving force whatsoever. There have been protagonists who have no real life goals but still have that force driving them forward. It's about Ichigo not wanting anything. A character wanting something is essential to a story, even if what they want is something small and insignificant. For example, him being a poor student and wanting to better in school.

Yusuke from Yu Yu Hakusho is also a protagonist without clear life goals, but he also has a driving force pushing both him and the plot forward. Ichigo is Yusuke without any of what makes Yusuke a good character.

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
Im not a fan of either but
Bleach art>>>>>One Piece art
and this way of thinking is why i can't get my friends to read/watch One Piece.
It's such an amazing series, but people do not like the way the characters are drawn.

I love it because it stands out with its world-building, character design, and all-around humor.
Not to mention that the supporting characters actually serve a purpose more often than in other manga i have read.
Bleach has so many useless characters that are just there to fight and lose to villains only for Ichigo to come around and clean up house.

Bleach is the anime that originally got me into watching anime more frequently, but I had moved on a little before Aizen's defeat. It just wasn't interesting anymore.
The lack of background and detail in each panel of the manga was definitely a deterrent.

In One Piece, there is always a shit load going on in each panel and I appreciate the effort from Oda and his team for doing that.
I still love reading it every week

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Fairy Tail is unfortunately dragged by fan services and constant addition of new characters, which made pretty much everyone paper thin in depth department.

On side note, I'm amazed on how much Mashima improved his art (see early Rave then compare to FT ) unfortunately it's opposite when it comes to his story.
Fairy tail is another great example,
there's a gigantic cast in that manga.
there's a lot of problem in the manga (seriously a whole fucking lot) but it works much better because at least Mashima manages to show why we should care about the ongoing conflicts and why what's happening is important.
And Also hugely important : the core of the cast isn't an unlikable void of a protagonist.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
hat's another thing Oda beats him at. Oda juggles even more characters overall, but he's smart enough to know which ones actually deserve a good amount of screentime, and which don't.

Also when the arc is over, he actually lets them go on their merry way, with us maybe seeing them again one day.
Thats the great thing about One piece's premise their always moving forward to a new island, so it can support a huge cast. Bleach takes place in 3 locations so it can't support 100s of characters

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Fairly certain Kubo hated Ichigo by the end. He's the only MC I remember to have a month's long hyped power up be defeated without showing it off andfor it to never in actually be fully shown off. He also off-panel him like a side character with no importance at all given (this was before said power up had been shown off)

I'd dislike him too. Such a bland character, has no real ambition of his own.

This all said... There is nothign to praise about Oda post time skip as well.

Strongly disagree, especially considering both the Zou and WCI arcs.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I'm reading too deep into this, but this seems like some fuckin' shade.

LMAO same here, I imagine Kubo somewhere reading this message and shouting "ODDAAAA!!!"

What's amazing about OP is how consistently good it is, at least from Romancing Dawn to Marine Ford arc, which is what? Around 600 chapters?

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017

I mean, dude was gone for large swaths of the last arc. Mayuri ended up with more action than Ichigo in that last arc.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
In 1996, Chief editor Kazuhiko Torishima, known as editor for Dragon Ball, scolded Kubo that his manga was terrible and recommended him to read Dragon Ball and Fist of the North Star first volumes.
Hahahaha as always Torishima gives no fucks.

This is a man that made Toriyama change the villains for the Android saga 4 times because he thought they looked lame or weak until we got to perfect cell. The man knows what he wants and is usually right in a lot of cases.

The older Jump authors seem to have a love/hate relationship with him, to the point that he appears in Dr Slump as a villain and in Bakuman as himself.
latest

latest

Kishido

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd dislike him too. Such a bland character, has no real ambition of his own.

Strongly disagree, especially considering both the Zou and WCI arcs.

To each their own... Zou was good and has given me hopes for WCI... But again we have a dragged out mess. But that's jsut my opinion.

Maybe OP and I have spent too much time with each other and simply drifted away with the time

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
By all accounts Kubo is a guy who's really full of himself so it's hard to side with him on anything. His reasoning is super petty.

Oct 27, 2017
The thing with Naruto is that the highs it had were buried under terrible pacing and several of the most polarizing main characters. Even the best moments of the series like Rock Lee vs. Gaara, the Zabuza arc, and the Sasuke Retrieval Arc had some really bad pacing and frequently would break the flow of encounters to exposit on backstory or the mechanics of something we've already seen. Deku is also immensely more likeable than Naruto and Sasuke ever were.

When you take the work as a whole and not just focus on the handful of extreme standout moments Naruto had, MHA is the superior work.

I'd say I agree with some of that. In terms of polish (pacing, maintaining quality) MHA has Naruto beat, and Deku is a better character than Naruto, but I'm still iffy on Bakugo (I'd give Sasuke a slight edge actually) and the supporting cast hasn't been nearly as memorable aside from a select few. Even with this arc introducing small backstory snippets for some of them, the amount of characterization given to the various teams in Naruto was incredible. Each of them had their own quirks, dynamics with one another and inter-team relationships. More impressive is the fact that the Chunnin Exam ended ~chapter 115, meaning in fewer chapters than MHA currently has (159)

Deleted member 268

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Arlong Park alone was better lol

Bleach was cool back in the day, but I wouldn't go that far. Not to mention I have issues with Ichigo as a protagonist in general. Even as the manga ended, he remained dull as hell to the very end.

One piece had Arlong park by that point as well as logue town so nope.

Nah, you two need to behave.

Arlong Park was good.

Soul Society was legitimately great.

Stop it.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
To each their own... Zou was good and has given me hopes for WCI... But again we have a dragged out mess. But that's jsut my opinion.

Maybe OP and I have spent too much time with each other and simply drifted away with the time
Are you watching the anime because WCI is almost done.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even then both of them can't touch Togashi in shonen space, unfortunately the dude really likes his Dragon Quest. Fucking boats man... It claimed both Berserk and HxH :(

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Makes sense. Oda's better than Kubo. And I don't even like One Piece, but there's development that goes into that manga that just isn't present for Bleach. I was a huge Bleach fan until I realized that the Soul Society and Hueco Mundo arcs were the same fucking idea, and I read that Kubo's answer to getting stuck plot-wise was to just "make more characters". FOH.

TerminusFox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's painfully obvious that Kubo wanted Ichigo to be the 21st century Yusuke but ended up falling flat on his face.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
the hot takes in this thread are something else.

one piece was good until arabasta?? REALLY?

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'd say I agree with some of that. In terms of polish (pacing, maintaining quality) MHA has Naruto beat, and Deku is a better character than Naruto, but I'm still iffy on Bakugo (I'd give Sasuke a slight edge actually) and the supporting cast hasn't been nearly as memorable aside from a select few. Even with this arc introducing small backstory snippets for some of them, the amount of characterization given to the various teams in Naruto was incredible. Each of them had their own quirks, dynamics with one another and inter-team relationships. More impressive is the fact that the Chunnin Exam ended ~chapter 115, meaning in fewer chapters than MHA currently has (159)

On paper, MHA is more polished, but I was way more into Naruto at the time. But again, it does have a much better foundation, I just hope it doesn't squander it.

Nah, you two need to behave.

Arlong Park was good.

Soul Society was legitimately great.

Stop it.

You have that switched around.

Even then both of them can't touch Togashi in shonen space, unfortunately the dude really likes his Dragon Quest. Fucking boats man... It claimed both Berserk and HxH :(

HxH tackles some pretty interesting shit, but One Piece overall is far more masterful for it's worldbuilding alone. HxH is more... wordy, which at a time kind of make me seriously doubt which was #1, but nah in the end, OP still the GOAT. Also is more consistent quality-wise regarding its arcs.

That said, HxH is the only other shounen where I won't really fuss over someone thinking it's better.

Tsuyu

Oct 25, 2017
Oda cannot do grand scale war, MarineFord is terrible because of its pacing and a lack of focus.

It's still within the realm of possibility that One Piece will go down hill in the final arc.

And yes, One Piece post time skip has been terrible thus far. The only positive is the world-building aspect is still good.

Shirosaki

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Kubo was shit at a lot of things. It makes sense he would be jealous of Oda despite Oda's own problems. Don't introduce characters your not going to use, pad your manga with filler and then end in the most unsatisfying way possible. The fact that kubo got canceled isnt even an excuse because the final arc went on for 4 years when it should have only taken 2 at the most. it only makes sense SJ canceled his series.

still a salty ichiruki shipper

Add me to the salty shipper too. I can't believe he got paired with Orihime.

Geg

Oct 25, 2017
I'll never really get it when people Kubo's art or character designs were good, especially after Soul Society.

I was already losing interest and mostly reading out of habit for a while but I dropped the series completely when in the arc right after Aizen was defeated Kubo just introduced two more villains who looked exactly like Aizen

Oda cannot do grand scale war, MarineFord is terrible because of its pacing and a lack of focus.
Marineford's pacing was fine. Were you watching the anime?

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Makes sense. Oda's better than Kubo. And I don't even like One Piece, but there's development that goes into that manga that just isn't present for Bleach. I was a huge Bleach fan until I realized that the Soul Society and Hueco Mundo arcs were the same fucking idea, and I read that Kubo's answer to getting stuck plot-wise was to just "make more characters". FOH.
I think the worst part of it is that after doing the same plot twice in a roll when he finally goes for a new story arc he does exactly what everyone was accusing him of at the beginning when he was still developing Bleach: he copies a Yu Yu Hakusho arc.

That terrible Xcution arc just felt like a poor attempt at doing a similar plot to the Sensui arc from YYH.

Deleted member 4532

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed. early Dragon Ball at least should be required reading for anyone interested in drawing comics. Especially action comics. The way the paneling compliments the action is fucking incredible but it's something I never noticed until it was pointed out to me. Super Eyepatch Wolf's video on this is great and goes through even more examples.

Yup, Dragon Ball was the reason I got into drawing many years back and for that reason still holds a special spot in my heart.

Kishido

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are you watching the anime because WCI is almost done.

I'm for sure not watching the anime of OP.

And almost done... Yeah maybe... but it's overdue like the stretched out Dressrosa.

But again... But it's my opinion that OP is not the same FOR ME like it was before... Maybe I'm the problem or maybe not. But out of respect for One Piece and all the love and passion I have put through various forums for over a decade (see my nickname based on OP) I won't say anything more about it.

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
Hype gotta have a pay off or it's just a bullshit tease.

I think the Byakuya vs Ichigo fight and the subsequent Aizen reveal was a fantastic pay off for Soul Society. It's when the next arc began that I think the bullshit teasing began, which subsequently led to the terrible payoff that was the Fake Karakura Town fights.

Deleted member 268

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Arlong Park set up One Piece to be great
Soul Society set up Bleach to fail

That may be true but that doesn't change the fact Soul Society was a better arc.

No way dude. Arlong Park had an emotional core that Soul Society could only pretend to have.

Why do One Piece fans always gotta pretend like One Piece is the only series out there with an emotional core? It's such bullshit.

Early on in Bleach, Ichigo and Rukia shared a bond that was the heart of Kubo's storytelling. Soul Society would not have been half as good if Kubo wasn't able to sell readers on their relationship, which was refreshingly platonic in nature and based in friendship and loyalty - which were the central themes to that entire arc. The friendship and loyalty between Ichigo and his friends, specifically Ishida and Chad, a Quincy who decided to fight alongside a shinigami despite the history of his ancestors and the stoic gentle giant that abhorred violence but found he was capable of it to protect those he held dear. The friendship between Rukia and Renji. The bond conflict in Byakuya's loyalty to the ideals of Soul Society and that to his sister. The betrayals amongst the captains. It all started with the bond of Ichigo and Rukia that was deeply woven into the DNA of the series. It's what made those fights early on epic, because the stakes were real. Bleach fell off largely in part because Kubo not only moved on from exploring that the dynamic of their partnership, but because he couldn't replace it with anything else worthwhile, hence no matter how many new characters or concepts he introduced going forward, it all fell flat.

Overall, One Piece is the better series, but early on Bleach was actually pretty damn good.

TerminusFox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, as afar as OP goes, while it's nowhere near as bad as Bleach, lets be real, the world around OP, the lore, etc is far FAR more interesting than the actual story being told

Status
Not open for further replies.