• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How

• CG (UE5?)

Votes: 93 32.6%
  • Puppetry

Votes: 79 27.7%
  • Prothestic Makeup

Votes: 19 6.7%
  • Combination of all the above

Votes: 94 33.0%

• Total voters

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
How do we bring this guy to live action?
latest

Bonus pic for inspiration:
sqy270l6xbe41.jpg

Moara

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
puppet + CG like baby yoda is the way to go imo

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Chopper about to melt hearts all over again if done right. And he could be massive and I'm not just talking in the transformation type way. The merch could give baby yoda a run for his froggies

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
I do not have experience but I think a puppet (with animatronics) with the occasional CG version for more mobile shots feels like the play here. I feel like the aesthetic would fit in the show also. Basically do Bobby from Sweet Tooth except maybe use CG to enhance the expressions ala Where the Wild Things Are movie.

Literally what I was thinking of

Rampage

Oct 27, 2017
Metro Detriot
Combination depended on his form. I'm going to the series understanding they will not have budget to do everything perfect- so I am okay with some creative license. Arlong look pretty good in practical make up. I could see standard Chopper as a puppet (like Grogu) of a person in makeup. Save the CGI for the more wacky forms.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Cutest version, full baby Yoda style

Oct 27, 2017
Same way as Detective Pikachu or Rocket Racoon? Full CG
This is a solved problem

I don't know why people are suggesting a puppet like Yoda/Grogu unless they just don't know much about One Piece. Chopper is lively and moves around and interacts with people and things far more than either of those 2 did. Not to mention he has transformations and it's easier to just go from full CG morphing into another CG model than to go from puppet -> CG morphing -> another puppet...It would make no sense

Zippedpinhead

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
cutest version possible, slap it all over season 2 branding AND launch stuffed animals/toys.

It should literally print money.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I don't know why people are suggesting a puppet like Yoda/Grogu unless they just don't know much about One Piece. Chopper is lively and moves around and interacts with people and things far more than either of those 2 did

Like Brazil onde said it makes more sense lore wise to use a kid in makeup, but OP asked for people with experience with puppets, not people with experience in One Piece

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
CG. Chopper moves, transform and talk too much to be a puppet

Movement is the biggest issue with going the puppet route. Chopper needs to be able to move and emote like a normal person. At some point the puppet angle becomes unfeasible. It's telling that the largely stationary Transponder Snails were done with animatronics while the News Coo was done in CG.

Like it took Disney three bloody seasons to get comfortable with Baby Yoda sliding across the floor, and you don't even see his damn feet doing it. Chopper needs to be able to do a lot more than that.

Oct 27, 2017
Like Brazil onde said it makes more sense lore wise to use a kid in makeup, but OP asked for people with experience with puppets, not people with experience in One Piece
They could use that as the base for the model, so artists know where to paint out and actors know who to act against (kinda like what they did for the newer Planet of the Apes trilogy), but just using a kid in makeup would look horrendous

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
This is a solved problem

I don't know why people are suggesting a puppet like Yoda/Grogu unless they just don't know much about One Piece. Chopper is lively and moves around and interacts with people and things far more than either of those 2 did. Not to mention he has transformations and it's easier to just go from full CG morphing into another CG model than to go from puppet -> CG morphing -> another puppet...It would make no sense

How much would that cost though?

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
This is a solved problem

Because a full CG regular cast member is going to get expensive. If it was a (big budget) movie I'd say CG, but for a show (even one as expensive as this one is) I don't know. Movement would definitely be an issue at times, but those are shots you can always do in CG. Would love someone with more experience to be able to weigh in on that though since again, I don't have any. Maybe the cost difference is negligible if you already have a CG double.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Putting horns on a child would be awful, the worst possible way to do it

Either CGI him in or make him a muppet

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Make it a puppet. CG would make a weird thing look weirder, puppets are at least pretty cute.

efe857684f058d9b-600x338.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
Because a full CG regular cast member is going to get expensive. If it was a (big budget) movie I'd say CG, but for a show (even one as expensive as this one is) I don't know. Movement would definitely be an issue at times, but those are shots you can always do in CG. Would love someone with more experience to be able to weigh in on that though since again, I don't have any.
The type of puppets, because they'd need ones with various different switchable parts, wouldn't be cheap either. Not to mention the added difficulty of maneuvering the puppet/filming around it. Grogu wasn't chosen for cost reasons, but for stylistic/nostalgia reasons.

And as mentioned, they would still need full CG models to handle transformations regardless

How much would that cost though?
No idea lol. I don't think there's a good way to just estimate. Studios/production companies solicit work from visual effect studios and get pricing estimates and contract whoever can do the job when they need it done for how much they have in their budget

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
Full sized puppet or actual reindeer that they CG speech or actions as necessary.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Well, they signed up for a One Piece adaptation lol

There's a lot of things harder than Chopper in the next seasons

Sure but not for a main cast member (though I do wonder about Franky now)

I think we already see that we're going to downsize a lot of the humanoid people who would otherwise be gigantic.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's probably going to be a kid with antlers