Oct 25, 2017
All these people asking if they should watch Boruto, and I'm over here like "Ehhhhhh, if you want I guess"

That's not really an answer to his question lol
Thank you. I'm aware they can do it, I just want to know how.

I KNOW how they fly in the DBZ, I know how they shoot beams. I just don't get logs in Naruto. Even shadow clones got a good explanation.

Oct 25, 2017
im hoping to get him to think about why he doesn't question how they can do literally anything in this universe. it wasn't any less explained/established than anything else.
Chidori was explained.
Rasengan was explained.
Mind swapping was explained.
Gaara's sand was explained.
Opening the gates was explained.
Summoning freaking animals was explained.

This series explains A LOT.

Logs, nope.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I read the Naruto manga to the end out of feeling like I owed it to my childhood, but I've skipped out on all the "extended universe" since. Like no anime, no movie, no anything. Do...do I dare jump back to watch Boruto? And if so, anything essential to catch up on from the EU? :P
Naruto The Last movie, then you can go watch Boruto tv series. Boruto movie is optional, but it's obsolete in term of canon since the tv series event will be treated as the canon story.

Boruto movie still have some cool action though.

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
That was a lot better than I was expecting actually.

My go to's for fight animation are usually Sword of the Stranger, Spriggan and Kara no Kyoukai 5

Squishy3

Oct 27, 2017
To be fair, they did have the two aliens against the ropes like 3 or 4 times. One had to consume the other just to stand a chance and even then they still needed outside help. Not to mention how unimpressive this round of Kages are in the first place.

The problem is that all the fights look exactly like this since Z. No depth at all, transformations that are just color swaps, etc.

I tried to get into Super but I just couldnt. The Jiren fight looked good though.
The final sequence against Jiren in Super is really impressive, but this case is just something that'll happen for long running anime by Toei. There's some good fights and choreography in Super, but there's a lot of the examples provided in this thread too, but you can say that for any given part of Dragonball Z.

with these being the last two cuts of the fight in super (spoilers for the final episode of Super obviously) I'd say they did a good job of having something that isn't the standard fight for the culmination of the tournament of power

https://www.sakugabooru.com/post/show/48102

https://www.sakugabooru.com/post/show/48101

edit: lmao, i read all of your post and somehow completely forgot about the part where you said the jiren fight looked good.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
CAST SOMEONE ELSE

I don't UNDERSTAND this MINDSET

IT LITERALLY SLICES THROUGH YOUR WHOLE SENSE OF IMMERSION

You might as well not give a SHIT about anything happening onscreen if ONE THING makes no FUCKING sense

Oh wow he Rasenganed that dude cool but I GUESS HE SACRIFICED HIS PUBERTY TO DO SO
Iirc they retconned the hell out of the way younger Naruto sounds. So whenever there's a flashback his voice sounds WAY younger than it did originally.

Oct 25, 2017
CAST SOMEONE ELSE

I don't UNDERSTAND this MINDSET

IT LITERALLY SLICES THROUGH YOUR WHOLE SENSE OF IMMERSION

You might as well not give a SHIT about anything happening onscreen if ONE THING makes no FUCKING sense

Oh wow he Rasenganed that dude cool but I GUESS HE SACRIFICED HIS PUBERTY TO DO SO
* shrug * doesn't bother me. Didn't even notice.

Omar310

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Looks like I need to check this out. Is it available streaming or digitally anywhere?
Just FYI, what you quoted is from two different shows. First one is Samurai Champloo, second (the one I was talking about) is Moribito Guardian of the Spirit. Both of them are 10/10s though.

Bonus Nujabes track from the iconic Samurai Champloo soundtrack:

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
Chidori was explained.
Rasengan was explained.
Mind swapping was explained.
Gaara's sand was explained.
Opening the gates was explained.

This series explains A LOT.

Logs, nope.

The log specifically is substituion jutsu, and it was explained early on. Though that one is the one I have some logical questions with in regards to the explanation that was given. I think it was something like they just move really fast before they get it and replace themselves with an object so it decieves the opponent into thinking they landed a blow.

I don't feel like most of the stuff we see is explained that deeply, it usually just comes down to using ninja magic to spew water or fire or paralyize people shadows, blow wind, etc. This is just using ninja magic to turn into things.

Veldin

Oct 25, 2017
That was really well animated and also dumb as fuck. There's so much fanfiction-tier stuff happening that I almost can't take it.

Oct 25, 2017
The log specifically is substituion jutsu, and it was explained early on. Though that one is the one I have some logical questions with in regards to the explanation that was given. I think it was something like they just move really fast before they get it and replace themselves with an object so it decieves the opponent into thinking they landed a blow.

I don't feel like most of the stuff we see is explained that deeply, it usually just comes down to using ninja magic to spew water or fire or paralyize people shadows, blow wind, etc. This is just using ninja magic to turn into things.
Sure, but where does the log come from. At least they keep the giant shurikens in scrolls.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
That was really well animated and also dumb as fuck. There's so much fanfiction-tier stuff happening that I almost can't take it.

fanfiction aint all bad
OheKZeY.png

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
Sure, but where does the log come from. At least they keep the giant shurikens in scrolls.

As I said, that's the one I have problems with. The log isn't the same thing as transformation jutsu though. The log is substitution. My problem doesn't even lie with where they keep the log really (they could just have that in a scroll too), just the movement aspect of it lol. Though I'm pretty sure there was a time where someone used substitution and it wasn't a log, and was something else that matched the current environment that they were in... Which would imply that they'd have to run and grab somehting, then run back and place it there, then run away again, all in the split second before they get hit lol. Dunno if that particular moment was a fillter thing though.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You can use the Substitution Jutsu with anything. It doesn't HAVE to be a log. Kakashi at one point even used it with a leaf off a tree.

CGiRanger

Oct 25, 2017
It's still a shame we couldn't get this quality of animation for Naruto vs. Pain.

I don't know what they were thinking with those episodes, almost all of the Pain arc was poorly animated.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Looking at the comments of this I see there's actually another throwback.

At 1:07 Sasuke grabs his sword with his foot using chakra and throws it at Momoshiki.

Ok yea this was pretty friggin hype, there are a ton of callbacks there. They even have better choreography than the storm games which usually did a way better job when it came to the spectacle that stayed true to the spirit of the series.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Just FYI, what you quoted is from two different shows. First one is Samurai Champloo, second (the one I was talking about) is Moribito Guardian of the Spirit. Both of them are 10/10s though.

Bonus Nujabes track from the iconic Samurai Champloo soundtrack:

Thankfully both are on Hulu

I'm like super picky with anime I decide to watch (just discovered Genocyber, Wicked City, Spriggan, and Angel's Egg, which probably tells you kind of stuff I like) and those two look right up my alley. Especially the "minus the usual weird anime bullshit" part

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
It's still a shame we couldn't get this quality of animation for Naruto vs. Pain.

I don't know what they were thinking with those episodes.

I liked that fight, but I can see why people thought it was weird. I mean, I thought it was a wierd but overall I still dug it. The thing annoying about that discussion though is some defenders of it act like that is the only way they can make the animation sooo goood for the fight, and like, nah. This fight proves you have have a extrodinarily well animated fight without having to resort to such a distinct.different style.

Oct 25, 2017
As I said, that's the one I have problems with. The log isn't the same thing as transformation jutsu though. The log is substitution. My problem doesn't even lie with where they keep the log really (they could just have that in a scroll too), just the movement aspect of it lol. Though I'm pretty sure there was a time where someone used substitution and it wasn't a log, and was something else that matched the current environment that they were in... Which would imply that they'd have to run and grab somehting, then run back and place it there, then run away again, all in the split second before they get hit lol. Dunno if that particular moment was a fillter thing though.
They also never explained the finger in the butt jutsu. Why did Naruto shoot 100 feet in the air? How come he never reported Kakashi?

CGiRanger

Oct 25, 2017
I liked that fight, but I can see why people thought it was weird. I mean, I thought it was a wierd but overall I still dug it. The thing annoying about that discussion though is some defenders of it act like that is the only way they can make the animation sooo goood for the fight, and like, nah. This fight proves you have have a extrodinarily well animated fight without having to resort to such a distinct.different style.
It's so bizarre, for that one episode they got some very high quality animators, and clearly spent a ton on them, but the episode director, Atsushi Wakabayashi, seemed to just go into a crazy art style.

I mean, that sort of style I guess worked in Devilman Crybaby. But I don't think it worked well here.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
The characters are hella off model if you pause. Not as off model as the Pain fight though.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure what's more shocking/impressive: that Boruto only just got to the movie finale or that they did the whole "turn the movie plot into an arc" 1000x better than Dragonball did

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure what's more shocking/impressive: that Boruto only just got to the movie finale or that they did the whole "turn the movie plot into an arc" 1000x better than Dragonball did

Despite some minor off-model animation (due to the main studio working on this fight), the movie arc is like totally worth watching.

I actually think the whole anime is worth watching, because the Boruto anime explores areas that the original Naruto didn't, and handles it's supporting cast much better. But everything from episode 51 onward is fantastic, and one of the better shows of the season. Episode 50 is a recap episode if someone wants to start right at the movie arc.

KZXcellent

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The only thing I'd seen for Boruto was the film and I think I liked this better in the anime version. Kind of shocking given how bad the movie arcs were with Dragon Ball.

Also the updated villain design is sick.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
I'm saying that the "defense" for the way the characters look during the Pain fight makes total sense, as it's hands down one of the most fluidly animated fights in the entire series. Same situation applies here.

Not that I think this episode needed to exist to prove that defense is invalid, but it's now going to be an easy thing to reference. This wasn't nearly on the level of distinct looking as Pain, and it was extrodinary, probably the best looking fight in the series.

I mean, actually the main problem I have with how people come at others who critisize the Pain fight is it asserts that "fluidity" is some absolute standard that determines the quality of a fight, and that should be respected no matter what and you're weird for critizing the look of it because "it's fluid". Maybe the Pain fight at points is actually more "fluid" than this, doesn't mean it has to be better.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I mean, obviously no one expected this arc to be THAT good, but I don't know why it's surprising that it'd be better than whatever Dragon Ball's doing. After all, it's Dragon Ball. Also the Boruto movie had a lot more stuff that could be more expanded upon, like the tournament for example.

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
Damn, that was cool as hell. As much shit Naruto gets for filler and a convoluted plot later on, the fight scenes are generally hype. I can't imagine how long this took to animate, it looks incredible.

Also +1 for Serei no Moribito. Show and fight scenes are phenomenal with a female protagonist that isn't gutter trash.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Man, it's hard to imagine any enemies to become huge threat as long as Naruto and Sasuke is still alive. These 2 is just op as hell. I think Momoshiki is supposed to be stronger than Kaguya, right? He just had the bad luck to fight older more experienced Naruto and Sasuke in their prime.
Same, those two are basically unstoppable. Hell all of the older ninja are basically unstoppable prodigies. Those two just take it up to literal god status.

Not that I think this episode needed to exist to prove that defense is invalid, but it's now going to be an easy thing to reference. This wasn't nearly on the level of distinct looking as Pain, and it was extrodinary, probably the best looking fight in the series.

I mean, actually the main problem I have with how people come at others who critisize the Pain fight is it asserts that "fluidity" is some absolute standard that determines the quality of a fight, and that should be respected no matter what and you're weird for critizing the look of it because "it's fluid". Maybe the Pain fight at points is actually more "fluid" than this, doesn't mean it has to be better.
I mean, although the choreography and planning in this fight is more pleasing than the naruto vs. pain fight, that fight still has more fluid animation so....also, it's not like the naruto vs. pain fight was poorly choreographed or hard to follow.